• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
what are some logical thoughts around this?

- Xbox is more powerful, but not *that* much more powerful to cover the kinds of differences suggested by Dusk's comments
- other commentary was that Sony tools were pretty mature and well regarded, so actual tools should not be holding this back.
- Do we know anything about the RE engine and what its based on? Eg is it heavily PC based with Direct X elements that mean its easier to get up and running well on PC/Xbox and PS5 would need more optimisation?
- in particular are they looking to bring in any advanced lighting etc using RT features that might cause significant performance impacts if not properly optimised? We've already seen a few PS5 games with RT reflections so some RT seems already doable well on PS5, but perhaps that just doesn't work well with Capcom's tools/workflow?

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chris too swole for PS5. They gotta cut down his muscles by 30% to meet the render budget.
No!

448.gif

Oct 25, 2017
too bad he never said that...but I imagine that he's right only when he says something "we" like, right?

Btw, I bet that the game will look and run fine, when they will release it (maybe with some day 1 patches)

Yes, the fantastic insidering tactic of only giving out information that is not disprovable while all the information given out that is disprovable is ignored when incorrect.

Love it.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
I just don't understand the end goal of this, it's not that Capcom is developing a game for the first time in their life nor Sony is making their first ever console. Things will ultimately be fine And we will only know if there were issues or compromises AFTER the game releases

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
well thats the thing, they thought they could use the same settings, they can't.

so now they are wondering if reduce Series X and PS5 settings across the board.

or get ready for Sony fanboys to ask for their blood when the series x has better graphics
Very few games on the RE engine use a dynamic resolution, so maybe that is the problem. For example RE3 remake was running at 4K on xbox one X with poor performance, and they fixed the performance issues when they patched the game to be 1620p. So yes if they try and run the game at the same resolution and same settings, then yes the lower performance makes sense.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't understand the end goal of this, it's not that Capcom is developing a game for the first time in their life nor Sony is making their first ever console. Things will ultimately be fine And we will only know if there were issues or compromises AFTER the game releases
Loves attention that fud brings.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
If only Dusk's infos weren't half right half wrong all time I would have believed him. I mean just from yesterday's show he was wrong in two accounts (Silent Hill and the price of PS5) to the matter that some reputable guys that work in the industry like Zhuge were laughing at his knowledge and calling him out in a subtle way.

None of what he says make sense. The game was shown two times with footage captured on PS5 while we had zero seconds of any XBox versions. The first showing 3 months ago had framerate drops but second one was smooth all the way.

I mean you can look for yourself:

www.youtube.com

Resident Evil Village - 2nd Trailer | PS5

https://www.playstation.com/games/resident-evil-village/?emcid=or-1s-412983Fear surrounds you in Resident Evil Village, unleashing a new chapter of survival ...

Where is the "problems" in this game? 60fps with 4k with zero drops in the trailer, am I missing something here? and this in 3 months time and we already see the problems of the first showing being gone.

How does it make sense that PS5 version now is the one with all the issues while a significantly inferior console like XSS is all smooth sailing? Can't people stop and think for a moment!

Can you show me the receipts on the bolded? Because unless I missed something, he wasn't wrong.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
the same guy who admitted he wanted to give sony bad news to give xbox points .
I actually am curious where people think this ever happened. People say this of me all the time, but I never was "siding with Microsoft" to begin with, and I never admitted to anything, as there was nothing to admit to. I made one comment a certain Era thread seemed sided I know is often taken way out of context, but the rest of it just seems fabricated.

But this gets thrown at me a lot, and I don't really know why?

Yahabane

Alt Account
Banned
Sep 29, 2019
Considering that certain Capcom fans (mostly PS fans) are really enthusiastic about cutting off any platforms that might cause development issues (like the Switch), I'm guessing those folks have no problem with Capcom axing the PS5 from the development pipeline? 😂😂

But seriously, things will probably be fine. Every game development faces its own hurdles. I can't wait to see play RE8 when it's out.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
Not at all. Read the tweets, he says pc and Xbox x are fine, he didn't say anything about the series s which will have even more cut backs presumably.
The tweets are all over the place and don't really make sense. For example, they mention one of the reasons they wanted to go next gen is because loading wasn't fast enough, and we know for a fact the PS5 has a faster SSD so?

The whole thing is just weird, we know the Xbox is more powerful, but they way they talk about the PS5 struggling doesn't sound like something so simple as a power difference, especially since they're having trouble "figuring out what's going on". And to top it off, they end it by saying they're trying to decide if they should go all in with next-gen?

It's really weird.

edit: also, if the series S would need even MORE cut backs, then why only mention ps5 as struggling? Again, weird.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
the first digital foundry third party comparison threads are going to be bloodbaths that start with "can we finally ban df from this forum for pretending that a resolution difference is a big deal?" and end with people being arrested for conspiring to attack richard leadbetter with styrofoam blades of chaos

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
These sorts of comments from "insiders" or whatever are pretty damn stupid. It literally only serves to fuel dumb fanboyism type stuff.

You people would go crazy being in a game studio for a single day if you think something like this is news worthy.

There's always going to be an issue in development. People are literally solving problems every moment of the day.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Loads of people really defending Dusk Golem when its obvious to anyone who works (or has worked) in games that he doesn't really seem to get how stuff works outside of surface level assumptions. Software is basically a commitment in making things that are broken all the time until they are good enough to release. Sometimes as close as a month before they go gold performance and game breaking stuff (or even the "fun factor") are a complete mess.

the same guy who admitted he wanted to give sony bad news to give xbox points .
I saw some people bringing up how he decided to share / double down on this again after the the PS5 event and crazy PS5 pre-orders.

Not sure why someone believes in "balancing the scales" with stuff they don't understand. "Console wars" are so annoying.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
I actually am curious where people think this ever happened. People say this of me all the time, but I never was siding with Microsoft and I never admitted to anything, as there was nothing to admit to.

Welcome to console wars, man. Sorry you have to go through this because of grown men acting like children over pieces of plastic and companies that don't give a shit about them. You don't deserve to be fodder for their petty agendas. Please don't let them bring you down.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
I actually am curious where people think this ever happened. People say this of me all the time, but I never was "siding with Microsoft" to begin with, and I never admitted to anything, as there was nothing to admit to. I made one comment a certain Era thread seemed sided I know is often taken way out of context, but the rest of it just seems fabricated.

That was the title from a few sites to take some credibility from you and it snowballed.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I actually am curious where people think this ever happened. People say this of me all the time, but I never was "siding with Microsoft" to begin with, and I never admitted to anything, as there was nothing to admit to. I made one comment a certain Era thread seemed sided I know is made that is often taken way out of context, but the rest of it just seems fabricated.

Don't give in to the bait dude, people hear what they want to hear. Wanting to give some positive Xbox news because the discussion was negative was the same thing as actively attacking Sony in their eyes. It's obvious you have been pretty correct when it comes to Capcom stuff. You were spot on about Monster Hunter on switch, but a day late on the Sony event that could have possibly been pushed back because the Xbox leak was dominating the news cycle so obviously you are full of crap and can't be trusted haha.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017

Hang in there dude. I'm peacing out of this thread, you should too, no point in fighting windmills.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
These sorts of comments from "insiders" or whatever are pretty damn stupid. It literally only serves to fuel dumb fanboyism type stuff.

You people would go crazy being in a game studio for a single day if you think something like this is news worthy.

There's always going to be an issue in development. People are literally solving problems every moment of the day.
Loads of people really defending Dusk Golem really hard when its obvious to anyone who works in games that he doesn't really seem to get how stuff works outside of surface level assumptions. Games (and all software) is basically a commitment in making things that are inherently broken all the time until they are good enough to release. Sometimes as close as a month before they go gold performance and game breaking stuff (or even the "fun factor") are a complete mess.

I saw some people bringing up how he decided to share / double down on this again after the the PS5 event and crazy PS5 pre-orders.

Not sure why someone believes in "balancing the scales" with stuff they don't understand.

I don't get a lot of stuff, but I also know this all will be sorted out by release.

The reason I brought this specific stuff up is because it actually is directly related to answering the question if RE8 is cross-gen or not. The actual answer comes down to the PS5 version in this specific case, due to some trouble that has lead them to consider alternatives a bit more strongly.

It's part of the natural development process as far as I understand it (though this specific case is unusual actually even internally, there's a lot of back-and-forth on the topic), even if I only have a surface level understanding, but I brought it up because RE8 being cross-gen isn't a yes or no question at the moment, it's more dependent on the solution they choose based on several factors where questioning arose after the issues with the PS5 version and next-gen upgrade the game has been receiving.

It'll be fine on launch on PS5, that I don't question and haven't questioned once any time I've mentioned this. I've always made sure to mention it because I know that will be true.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The game is still a year out, y'all. Remember the reports about how God of War 2018 was basically a slide show 6-12 months before release? The issues will be ironed out almost assuredly by the time the game launches.

hechicero

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
TEXAS

most games run like trash before they are released like cyber punk (delayed) got to be optimized.
but if you say so still a while before RE8 comes out sure it will run better before it comes out.

Mar 9, 2019

You clearly know nothing about development , tech or specs so quit talking about them

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
lol your post makes a lot more sense now.

Just not a fan of dogpiling that's all, especially on ERA insiders who are actucally often right, even if they can get some thing wrong (like the SH from the looks of it). I just don't see the point of driving them away from here.

Anyway, I didn't mean you personally, you've been nothing but gracious with your replies to my posts.

Oct 25, 2017
That's a fair point to bring up though. There's a significant power difference between the two machines but the more powerful one is struggling for some unknown reason. And it's making them consider going cross-gen.

It doesn't really add up.
It's not a power issue though which what I'm saying. The Series S version works. It's an unknown PS5 issue.

rajinus

Banned
Sep 2, 2020
He's clearly a real insider though. He's gotten enough stuff right, that nobody would be able to guess, to make that fact true. I don't understand the desire to discount what he says Lol.

Irrelevant. very possible he hears tidbits here and there, but it's the interpretation of those tidbits, and the conclusions he decides to gleam from them that I don't trust, and which are likely to be either greatly and knowingly sensationalized, or based on ignorance or lack of understanding of the context of the facts he heard.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is still a year out, y'all. Remember the reports about how God of War 2018 was basically a slide show 6-12 months before release? The issues will be ironed out almost assuredly by the time the game launches.
Remember that documentary that came out afterwards? Shu came by and was not happy. The game turned out fine, I'm RE8 will as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I don't get a lot of stuff, but I also know this all will be sorted out by release.

It's part of the natural development process as far as I understand it (though this specific case is unusual actually even internally, there's a lot of back-and-forth on the topic), even if I only have a surface level understanding, but I brought it up because RE8 being cross-gen isn't a yes or no question at the moment, it's more dependent on the solution they choose based on several factors where questioning arose after the issues with the PS5 version and next-gen upgrade the game has been receiving.

It'll be fine on launch, that I don't question.
Do you not realize by not understanding whats going on, that you're essentially just putting out information that people will run with to fuel more toxicity? Stuff that you yourself admit is "part of the natural development process"?

The fact that you keep mentioning PS5 as linked to cross-gen question really amounts to nothing but confusion as most people (including yourself, apparently) won't be able to see any connection as to why the PS5 version of the game would influence if PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game will exist.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Lol here we go again...why does he never learn? What is his goal with this? Why is he doing this, irregardless of how accurate it is or not?

Same thing with the PS5 price, that turned out to be way off...why?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Right. If this game was close to launch this would be news worthy, not in the rungs of running the project, a lot of people going crazy over this clearly never been apart of any project so much shit comes up day to day on a project lol.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
If true, something might be wrong with Capcom, because that game did not look that taxing on the hardware at all...

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017

The reason I brought this specific stuff up is because it actually is directly related to answering the question if RE8 is cross-gen or not. The actual answer comes down to the PS5 version in this specific case, due to some trouble that has lead them to consider alternatives a bit more strongly.

It'll be fine on launch on PS5, that I don't question and haven't questioned once any time I've mentioned this. I've always made sure to mention it because I know that will be true.
So basically you're saying the PS5 version is struggling SO BAD that they're considering making the game cross-gen?

Or keeping the game cross-gen as it was already running on a PS4 Pro at some point? I'm so confused based on everything you've said.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
I mean is there any games that haven't had development issues? They might indeed be struggling here in certain aspects but it's a new gen with new tools to get familiar with. Is this not pretty standard fare?

If we had contacts at all studios there would prob be similar reports across all systems.

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Well... That's weird... But seeing how DMCVSE cannot run raytracing at 4k60, not that unexpected. Hopefully 3rd party devs will manage to harness more Power as they get accostumated with the hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.