• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
In the end it doesn't matter how expensive they are to make.

Sony won't sell the PS5 for more than $499.99

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
Trust Mochizuki on Bloomberg, or Zhuge? Or Dusk 'I chimed in because I felt things were too one-sided' Golem.

Choice is pretty easy.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll trust this analysis way more than an off handed comment with nothing really backing it

www.resetera.com

Analysis : Why does Sony's Operating Profit forecast indicate PS5 will probably cost less than $499 ?

It will be a long read guys ;) Informations before we start : Q1 = April-June / Q2 = July-Sept / Q3 = Oct-Dec / Q4 = Jan-March PS5 = PS5 standard / PS5 DE = PS5 Digital Edition PS4 sold 4.5m units during Q3 FY13 (Oct-Dec) and 3.1m during Q4 FY13 (Jan-March 2014) PS4 BOM according to research...
Except that analysis is also supposition and not based in any secret knowledge.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
$549 / $499 (DE) is my prediction.
Not a chance that the base disc model costs a cent more than $499. Sony knows what an enormous factor price is in console launches and how it determines the trajectory of the entire generation. They will not allow Microsoft to beat them on price.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
It seems Dusk Golem's reliability as an insider is directly related to whether or not what he says at any given time is what you want to hear.

I'm not saying he's right, or that his source's are right here but the attempts to discredit him wholesale are fucking embarassing.

Not really. His Capcom source is great, everything else is up in the air. Why hasn't the price point for the PS5 leaked? It's because that information is only known by a small selected higher ups. The price we have going around is because we have industry analysts from Bloomberg and Zhuge saying that the BOM was 450. If you put those two things in balance, I think that Dusk might not be right here. I believe its true that RE8 was struggling on PS5 and not so much on XSX considering the latter is more powerful, for instance. Why? Because I trust his Capcom source, just not so much everything else. It's not what we like or not, it's his track record. As simple as that. If anything, I think Dusk seems like a nice dude btw.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
This has been discussed to death in the playstation OT

But he heard it yen and has converted it to $

60000yen to Euro is 477
But in USD, it's $565?

It kind of doesn't matter how old the article is. The contracts for the parts that go into these consoles were signed long ago, which would have included the price ranges for parts.

You don't sign that kind of contract and then leave the price you are paying for parts open-ended. Thus, logically thinking about it for more than 5 seconds, COVID was unlikely to have a giant impact on the price of parts given that Sony is trying to manufacture 10 million of these things - it means they did their mass ordering months ago.
Yea, good point about contracts. Wasn't thinking about them. Still though, there are still costs that won't be factored into contracts - transportation, labor, retrofitting, etc. Again, won't say that will make it to $600 by any means. But it's also not impossible in a world transformed b- eh, you all know.

US may have acknowledged COVID in March but it was already a thing in China and Japan (where this article is from) in Feb. It even acknowledges the effect of pandemic on the cost and scarcity of material. This is obviously not the case anymore where these consoles are made since production was bumped from 5M to 10M. If anything that Bloomberg estimate is overly inflated now.
WAS Japan taking Covid seriously in February? It was right as the cruise ships things were happening and as this article published, they were just expanding testing in anticipation of community spread. At this time, the work culture in Japan had not changed. The Japanese actually would come under scrutiny later on for the way that the culture didn't really adapt to the idea of social distancing. People were still expected to come into work and stay late hours together. That's neither here nor there. I just don't see how you think the overall cost of manufacturing is DOWN, when there is still chaos worldwide. Even if the Chinese factories are online, there's not a chance that product makers are like "great! Ramp up the lines EVEN FASTER than before!!" at this time. Maybe I'm stupid. Entirely probable.

Supply chains sure, wouldn't be surprised if it's a lot more expensive at the moment, but that wouldn't be production costs, if the PS5 cost 600 to just produce, it'd be more expensive for Sony by the time it's actually for sale, due to needing to actually ship out all over the world before then.
Well yea, but supply chains apply before production as well too, right? But depending on how much stuff was set in stone beforehand, you may be right that production costs are controlled (though, obviously I'm ultimately still skeptical given my above responses). It's all very opaque.

Has Sony said anything about their global launch plans? Worldwide day 1?

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Hope Bloomberg mention the BOM after the price announcement because dusk has himself covered with 3 price points there....

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they reveal the price at the upcoming stream. I'm really sick of this BOM estimations-- Sony can price the PS5 whatever they want.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
In the end it doesn't matter how expensive they are to make.

Sony won't sell the PS5 for more than $499.99
Microsoft's platform this is way stronger now then it was for the Xbox One. Anything higher than $499 would be bad judgement on Sony's end, regardless of the BOM they need to a absorb the difference

doyneamite

Oct 26, 2018
I have no horse in this race as I only play on Xbox and won't be getting a PS5. There's zero chance, in my opinion, that Sony are over 500. I'd be absolutely shocked if they were.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
$50 more won't mean much if Sony launch with strong games. However, a $100 difference would have huge impact in the first year until Sony gets its heavy hitters ready. I don't see Sony going over $499 now.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'll go ahead and say bullshit, lol. Smells like another tweet trying to "even things out" like his past console wars trash.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
There's a difference between thinking it's wrong and implying or outright saying that he doesn't actually have inside info and he's making it up as many have done in this thread, even implying he's making it up to be specifically negative about Sony/PlayStation.

Well, I don't know, I think most people are just saying they think he's wrong, but I guess that's fair

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft's platform this is way stronger now then it was for the Xbox One. Anything higher than $499 would be bad judgement on Sony's end, regardless of the BOM they need to a absorb the difference

I don't think they will but they could probably get away with a higher price, especially if it was only $550. Sony has the momentum, they have both third party and first party exclusives and they have a more geographically diverse base. It would only hurt them in the US and UK really.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I was sleeping and wondered why my tweets blew up.

All I'm going to say is people really are misreading me here, on almost every count. I didn't say this to be some leaking thing specifically for those who think I'm "covering all bases", I don't know the final price Sony will go with, I even state it in my tweet it's just my personal prediction. It's also why I didn't tweet it out to everyone, someone said something that was a bit amusing to me so I just responded with something I had heard. I did not hear 60000 yen specifically was the cost of production, I said the price range in Japan would be 60000-70000 yen from what I heard.

No one needs to believe me, I didn't say this for "leaker cred" or whatever people think I was doing, I was just responding to someone. The fun of both examples here is I didn't post either of these things specifically looking for attention. I am a talkative person, sometimes these things come up in convo and I don't mind talking about it. But people try to spin it like I'm some cartoon villain or something, and start saying I'm saying things I'm really not.

Hopefully it's priced well for everyone, that's the hope.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd sooner belive Bloomberg than Dusk Golem, I think $600 is too much for production cost

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they will but they could probably get away with a higher price, especially if it was only $550. Sony has the momentum, they have both third party and first party exclusives and they have a more geographically diverse base. It would only hurt them in the US and UK really.
I don't think there is any scenerio where sony will not be the market leader for consumers due to the reasons you mentioned, they could lose market share in MS markets though.
xCloud is another variable that we don't know how it will play out

Oct 27, 2017

All I'm going to say is people really are misreading me here, on almost every count. I didn't say this to be some leaking thing specifically for those who think I'm "covering all bases", I don't know the final price Sony will go with, I even state it in my tweet it's just my personal prediction. It's also why I didn't tweet it out to everyone, someone said something that was a bit amusing to me so I just responded with something I had heard. I did not hear 60000 yen specifically was the cost of production, I said the price range in Japan would be 60000-70000 yen from what I heard.

No one needs to believe me, the fun of both examples here is I didn't post either of these things specifically looking for attention. I am a talkative person, sometimes these things come up in convo and I don't mind talking it. But people try to spin it like I'm some cartoon villain or something, and start saying I'm saying things I'm really not.

Hopefully it's price well for everyone, that's the hope.
You cartoon villian!

I honestly don't get why people here are so obsessed with a +-50 price difference.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, we should know soon enough, hopefully this Wednesday. But I highly doubt they'll venture into the over $499 territory. Not during a pandemic especially.

Especially not when Msoft isn't going above $499. They learned their lesson from their hubris with the PS3. They'll match $499 or even be more competitive to absolutely crush Msoft. Totally theirs to lose.

BMO=GOAT

Oct 26, 2017

No one needs to believe me, the fun of both examples here is I didn't post either of these things specifically looking for attention. I am a talkative person, sometimes these things come up in convo and I don't mind talking it. But people try to spin it like I'm some cartoon villain or something, and start saying I'm saying things I'm really not.

What you think the price of the digital edition will be? Taking into account what your source or sources have told you.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017

No one needs to believe me, I didn't say this for "leaker cred" or whatever people think I was doing, I was just responding to someone. The fun of both examples here is I didn't post either of these things specifically looking for attention. I am a talkative person, sometimes these things come up in convo and I don't mind talking about it. But people try to spin it like I'm some cartoon villain or something, and start saying I'm saying things I'm really not.

Cool!

So yet another big gaming thread in Era about absolutely nothing. Good job everyone, the forum's prestige is still intact.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
But in USD, it's $565?

Yea, good point about contracts. Wasn't thinking about them. Still though, there are still costs that won't be factored into contracts - transportation, labor, retrofitting, etc. Again, won't say that will make it to $600 by any means. But it's also not impossible in a world transformed b- eh, you all know.

WAS Japan taking Covid seriously in February? It was right as the cruise ships things were happening and as this article published, they were just expanding testing in anticipation of community spread. At this time, the work culture in Japan had not changed. The Japanese actually would come under scrutiny later on for the way that the culture didn't really adapt to the idea of social distancing. People were still expected to come into work and stay late hours together. That's neither here nor there. I just don't see how you think the overall cost of manufacturing is DOWN, when there is still chaos worldwide. Even if the Chinese factories are online, there's not a chance that product makers are like "great! Ramp up the lines EVEN FASTER than before!!" at this time. Maybe I'm stupid. Entirely probable.

Well yea, but supply chains apply before production as well too, right? But depending on how much stuff was set in stone beforehand, you may be right that production costs are controlled (though, obviously I'm ultimately still skeptical given my above responses). It's all very opaque.

Has Sony said anything about their global launch plans? Worldwide day 1?
Sure, but I doubt they'd be shipping the parts all over the world (most are probably made in the same place), like they will the actual console, certainly nowhere near as much anyway, so it'd be less of an impact on production costs vs the total costs.

They've said it'll release globally late 2020, don't know if they've gave a full breakdown on what markets that includes, besides just Americas, Europe and Asia.

Edit: ah, seems Dusk didn't mean production costs, but the price they'll charge.

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

tbh I think 60k-70k Yen is even harder to believe than the dollar equivalent. It would be a literal death sentence to their Japanese presence.

I think it must be an overestimation.

I don't think there is any scenerio where sony will not be the market leader for consumers due to the reasons you mentioned, they could lose market share in MS markets though.
xCloud is another variable that we don't know how it will play out

I think it would be more concerning if MS had a decent lineup of exclusives but they kinda don't at the moment...

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017

Hopefully it's priced well for everyone, that's the hope.
You are helping spreading fud mate. It's not nice.

If you are not aware what your tweets do these days then you seriously need to do some reflecting, no offense.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
There's a difference between thinking it's wrong and implying or outright saying that he doesn't actually have inside info and he's making it up as many have done in this thread, even implying he's making it up to be specifically negative about Sony/PlayStation.
You're not crazy. I get you. You can be skeptical of info without questioning a person's integrity.

Thanks for chiming in here lol. Good morning! Hahahaha. Price in Japan being 60k-70k yen is a lot different than estimating cost of production o.o. Well anyway. People are gonna believe that even less, I imagine XD.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if we see:

Disc version : $550
DE version: $450
That's my expectation.
If Sony is particularly aggressive then I can see $499/$399.

However whatever the price range will be I think the difference between the disc SKU and the discless SKU will anyway end up at least $100 because it's in Sony's best interest to favour the adoption of the DE SKU and have as many as possible customers that solely buy software from their digital store.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
What nonsense.

What type of fucked production is Sony using that the BOM is fucking higher then £1k pricepoint smartphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.