• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously some bad decisions here if the Xbox Series X is cheaper to produce.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
:o what? I mean.. we're getting unsubstantiated rumors that MS is losing >$100 on Series X... and certainly even more on Series S. MS has clearly tried to save in every single way, from not going all the way with SSD to getting rid of small things like the optical drive to not redesigning the controller. Shocking if Sony's decision lead to such a high cost (I mean.. or Covid, and this will all normalize in a year). IF TRUE, (big if) then I can't see DE being any less that $449. $120-150 loss over say the first 10 million consoles is $1.2 - 1.5 billion. That's not insignificant.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Of course. Fastest consumer ssd , lavish cooling , dual sense , next gen cpu gpu memory don't come at cheap .

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys think $50 will make a huge difference in perception? It will be very interesting if it's $550

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't believe that. Bloomberg said it was $450 to build.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh I thought reports had come out that the PS5 cost around $470 USD to make. If this is true I think we are looking at a $600 console. I think people's predictions of a $399 PS5 is looking like a fantasy.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
But we already know its actually $450, so....
That was an estimate for the console, but you have to factor in the controller plus the fact that prices for components and actual production were going up due to the pandemic.

Now that doesn't mean anything really. Imo they won't launch higher than the XSX. They know that would look bad.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Huh I thought reports had come out that the PS5 cost around $470 USD to make. If this is true I think we are looking at a $600 console. I think people's predictions of a $399 PS5 is looking like a fantasy.
I dont think they want the "599" mocking to ever return again. So it's 598.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

No we don't.

PS4 was sold at around 60$ of loss and that was with the Xbox One being 100$ more expensive so they could have priced higher. I don't even need to talk about the PS3 too.

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg's figure was already inflated over what Sony expected, there's no way it's inflated by another $150.

Kabukimorocho

Jun 6, 2020
BOM notwithstanding I don't think Sony would be dumb enough to price themselves out. I say they bite the bullet with $499

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
tenor.gif

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
If true I wonder how big of a loss MS is taking. BOM between the two won't be significantly different.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
That it cost that doesn't mean that's the price. Consoles are always sold at a loss. The only question is what loss Sony wants to take.

for sure, just mean if it is above the X price at $550 for instance, would this translate into a PS3 situation again in this day and age? I personally dont see 550 being all that bad

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah no if that was the case why would Sony up their production by 50 % lol

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
That was an estimate for the console, but you have to factor in the controller plus the fact that prices for components and actual production were going up due to the pandemic.

Now that doesn't mean anything really. Imo they won't launch higher than the XSX. They know that would look bad.
No, BOM includes the controller and Dusk states "cost to produce" here. PS4 for example cost about $10 to manufacture per console. So the maximum cost of production for PS5 is $460 and that's even the figure Sony were struggling with due to scarce parts, which is a situation that has since gotten better.

idk where Dusk is hearing this from but Bloomberg sources are 100x more reliable than him on this. Plus Zhuge backed up that Bloomberg report.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Seems about what Mike Bithell is expecting as well. He is predicting $650 for the disc version.

That's not real is it.. Though, I wouldn't expect Mike Bithell to know the details of manufacturing.

Regardless, Bloomberg article is from February. It annoys me that people still cite it as gospel fact, as though nothing has happened since February. Nothing at all. To just read the first paragraph and then close the tab seems silly. Like HAS it actually gotten easier to get DRAM and Flash memory? Or has coronavirus exacerbated the situation? This is another line further down in the article:

The ongoing coronavirus outbreak has had no impact so far on preparations for PlayStation 5 production, they said. The company has yet to decided how many PlayStation 5 units it will make in the first year, they added.

That's certainly not true anymore. But the magical number would stay constant come hell or high water? Again, that's not to say Dusk is right and Bloomberg is wrong. I'm just warning us from using sources before a global pandemic (that also framed a $470 price point as being too high for consumers) and assuming that they're still correct as written (btw, Ferrs, Bloomberg says PS4 launched at a profit. People here always say differently, so I have no idea.)

Last edited:

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think both can be correct. BOM could be the stated 450 from Bloomberg, but that doesn't account for things like storage, production, logistics, unless I'm terribly wrong on what BOM means here.

Status
Not open for further replies.