• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I'm replaying 7 right now and it's pretty dark and gruesome, but still has a bit of an enjoyable silly horror movie edge that I enjoy.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Meh. Call me when they have an entirely new third person RE game with cool monsters.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully, "disturbing" doesn't actually mean goofy and anime as fuck, but actually terrifying.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
If they're going to go more into psychological territory that breaks down a lot of walls with what they can do as the enemies don't have to "exist" per se. I know zombies and other creatures already don't exist but you can do stuff that is more abstract and grotesque.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Dusk keeps bringing all the goods - this is super exciting. Redesigned Chris, wild enemy designs - just give us PC VR!

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm usually a bit scared when it comes to horror movies, but I can handle the RE games just fine for the most part. RE8 is gonna push it, isn't it.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
I hope it doesn't go too far in the serious direction, I love the contrast the series has. Feel like it loses some identity without some of the goofiness.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I hope it is still campy while being gruesome and dark. RE is at its peak when it combines horror and campy shit well.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
When you think what MS showed yesterday from smaller devs with a AA budget....i dont wanna see what Capcom and co. gonna deliver on these new machines.

Shit is gonna get really scary lol.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Outside the Chris redesign bit, this is so vague it could mean a lot of things, but cool. I look forward to the game

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Also, for the love of god, get Roger Craig Smith back as Chris. RE3R was unionized, so there shouldn't be any issues if RE8 follows suit.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if it's First Person again? Was a turn off for me personally. I have a weak constitution for horror games, but RE I've managed. First Person? I'm good, I still sometimes think about my time playing Condemned and get shivers.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Bit sceptical but anything is better than the enemy design in 7. Only the mother was creepy. Is this getting revealed soon?

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
yes in a Dead Space way, not RE3 Remake way.

Eh... for what it's worth, Dead Space's designs kinda… I don't want to say were goofy, because they weren't. THey were kickass designs, but aside from some rare exeptions, I kinda think they were too "album cover". GIANT CLAWARM RAZORCORPSES were too badass to be frightening, sorta. There were very few enemies that disturbed me.

Like... there were the wall guardians. Um the things in Hydroponics that were just stationary, with the giant lungs that did nothing except breathe? Those were creepy. And the kids in 2, the pack(?), because I had real young nephews when I played through DS, and some of the sounds they made, the shrill shrieky cry they had. Aside from that, Dead Space's menagerie was sorta two edgelord to be scary.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Sony's big thing is in June, though. Considering how since VII, they've done reveals on Sony turf, it'd makes sense.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Do we know if it's First Person again? Was a turn off for me personally. I have a weak constitution for horror games, but RE I've managed. First Person? I'm good, I still sometimes think about my time playing Condemned and get shivers.

Yeah, rumors are it's first person. Basically a direct sequel to RE7, story and mechanic wise

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yawn

Give me Camp Horror, not whatever was going on in RE2make.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
Eh... for what it's worth, Dead Space's designs kinda… I don't want to say were goofy, because they weren't. THey were kickass designs, but aside from some rare exeptions, I kinda think they were too "album cover". GIANT CLAWARM RAZORCORPSES were too badass to be frightening, sorta. There were very few enemies that disturbed me.

Like... there were the wall guardians. Um the things in Hydroponics that were just stationary, with the giant lungs that did nothing except breathe? Those were creepy. And the kids in 2, the pack(?), because I had real young nephews when I played through DS, and some of the sounds they made, the shrill shrieky cry they had. Aside from that, Dead Space's menagerie was sorta two edgelord to be scary.

hmm thinking about it, yeah, they sure had album cover in mind HAHAHA thats like the best definition.

i agree with you there.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
yawn

Give me Camp Horror, not whatever was going on in RE2make.

RE2 had tons of camp, especially in Leon's story. I'd argue RE2make is probably the strongest balance in the series of genuinely engaging characters and writing, disturbing and creepy set pieces/atmosphere, and campy situations/cut-scenes for the characters to respond to. The only modern RE game that was as engaging the story/characters/camp/horror department is Revelations 2, which is way campier than RE2make (and has a more satisfying story/ending) but also isn't nearly as atmospheric.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I find stuff like Maguerite's boss fight in 7 or Alex Wesker's boss fight in Rev 2 to be far more scary than "throw a bunch of weird tentacle and tumors on something". Like, still human shape but grotesquely distorted in some way tends to get under my skin a lot more than straight up monsters. So hopefully a lot of things like that.