• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

This would explain a few things if he's right (why Ono was demoted, why Season 5 started development so recently, etc.). Either way, if this is true, I'm glad that the fighting game division is in better hands & that they're giving SFVI the time that it needs to be great. Also, interesting that the game was supposedly planned to have team mechanics.

Source: Dusk Golem (Twitter)

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
After learning that SFV was originally handled by an animation studio that shaved off several years of precious development time, I feel like this is very close to becoming a repeat of SF5 where the content will once again be abysmal because they didn't have enough time to make it since they had to fix the game first.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Ono.

Tough break, but at least it looks like Capcom is trending towards a good direction now.

I'm not going to lie: I am EXTREMELY excited for Akira. Like, stupidly so.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New guys are already off to a good start, sorry Ono

Oct 25, 2017
How could Ono fuck up things again? SF4 literally revived the series but SF5 had a bad launch and SF6 was being screwed again?

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I have no idea about all of that, but some of that jives with things I've heard.

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate Ono for bringing back Street Fighter with 4, but I keep hearing nothing but bad stuff BTS with him; about how he keeps making poor decisions. Glad to hear that 6 is getting better without him and 5 has improved dramatically.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
A "team mechanic"? I'm fine with more SFV and them taking time to make SF6 properly.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Never really heard of this Dusk Golem. Are they a reliable source?

I would actually be surprised if this is true since Season 4 of SFV and G in Season 3 looked like the perfect direction to take SF6 in. Don't know why you would yet again try and introduce radical new mechanics.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

I would actually be surprised if this is true since Season 4 of SFV and G in Season 3 looked like the perfect direction to take SF6 in. Don't know why you would yet again try and introduce radical new mechanics.
They have a spotty track record, but with Capcom they're generally accurate most of the time.

How could Ono fuck up things again? SF4 literally revived the series but SF5 had a bad launch and SF6 was being screwed again?
It seems like you can trace a lot of this back to outside of Street Fighter, since Deep Down (and, subsequently, the Panta Rhei engine) were all on his watch, once poised to be the flagship for Capcom this gen, only to be taken out back quietly and shot. Seems like he's some really severe management issues after being promoted and there came to be just one screw-up too many.

Say all the bad stuff you want to say about Inafune, since he deserves all of them, but at least MT Framework happened on his watch, accompanied by two very successful new IP launches in both Dead Rising and Lost Planet.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
A "team mechanic"? I'm fine with more SFV and them taking time to make SF6 properly.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was KoF-like, along the lines of what SFV:AE already has with Team Battle. In fact, I'd wager that said Team Battle mode was to test the feature out ahead of Ono's idea for SFVI.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
So if SFVI is having development problems that mirror the ones SFV did as presented by Matt McMuscles... does that pave the way for Sony to swoop in and money hat SFVI like they did for SFV? 🤔

Was it a good ROI for Sony?

Why is making a new Street Fighter entry so hard anyway when some kids in a basement put together a quality fighting game like Them's Fightin Herds as competently as they did on a shoestring budget?

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Max mentioned something along these lines on his stream (though this is a bit more general than I expected).

I think new blood could help Street Fighter quite a bit though, and the SF5 pass is already looking great.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017

He's been leaking a bunch of Resident Evil stuff accurately.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
That's pretty interesting and does make sense on why SFV got a 5th season of DLC. I do like Ono though in terms of being the face of Capcom fighting games though. :) totally jives with how the director and producer didn't even bat an eye when Harada showed a picture of him during last weeks stream!

I really hope SFVI turns out well!

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They're pretty spot on with Resident Evil rumors, other stuff could be a mix.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
SFV had the DNA of greatness, but yea, let's just say I'm very much looking forward to the next one.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So if SFVI is having development problems that mirror the ones SFV did as presented by Matt McMuscles... does that pave the way for Sony to swoop in and money hat SFVI like they did for SFV? 🤔

Was it a good ROI for Sony?

Why is making a new Street Fighter entry so hard anyway when some kids in a basement put together Them's Fightin Herds as competently as they did on a shoestring budget?
This time they actually got rid of the problem (Ono), so I'm not sure about that.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe something along the lines of SFxT or with assists like MvC?

This does explain a lot. I assumed that SF6 would have been an early next-gen tittle next year to support it for the entire gen (like SF5 for this gen).

Hopefully the game comes better out due to it. You never know.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This makes a lot of sense and I'm not shocked. The change in the fighting game division is already extremely noticeable and overall it's improved massively. I know we all love Ono and I'm thankful he spearheaded the SF revival but the division will only improve with him gone.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god they booted Ono, we might finally see a new age of quality products. He fucked up non stop since post SF4. He's been fucking up for almost 10 years now he should have been demoted sooner.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I've mentioned this elsewhere, but the timing also fits with regards to SFV Season 5. Season 5 began development around March or April, about the same time Ono was demoted from his position within the fighting game division.

Zookfoodle

Oct 25, 2017

They are indeed. Big Capcom insider and even a user here! Username is simply Dusk Golem

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
They have a spotty track record, but with Capcom they're generally accurate most of the time.
He's been leaking a bunch of Resident Evil stuff accurately.
They're pretty spot on with Resident Evil rumors, other stuff could be a mix.
Thanks, gotcha.

They are indeed. Big Capcom insider and even a user here! Username is simply Dusk Golem
Jeez, a moderator even. I legitimately had no idea, haha.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I'm so pumped for SF6 based off those tweets, it sounds so exciting and Yuasa already sounds like she's doing a stellar job. You can already feel the breath of fresh air in the division from that S5 reveal. I honestly don't think a character like Akira would have ever made it into SF with Ono in charge.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Poor Ono, feels bad for him. But it's good to have a new director with a new vision for the franchise. And I'm surprised it's a woman, think is the first one to direct a Capcom game. Expecting good things.