• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
dear dutch era, i'm here in the den haag area for a week with a few free days for a family reunion

would you guys have recommendations for rad local restaurants/beer places/cool sites in general to visit? so far on my agenda i've got a day amsterdam day trip to anne frank's house, rijksmuseum, blast galaxy, a space oddity and WHAT THE FUCK Y'ALL HAVE A CHEESE MUSEUM YOOOOOOO

I got you fam. Head to the Zeeheldenkwartier (short walk from city centre) for a lot of nice bars. If you're into a solid gourmet burger, head to Ich bin ein Hamburger in the Prins Frederikstraat. Gastropub van Kinsbergen around the corner is also pretty laidback. Den Haag arguably has the best on offering in the Netherlands when it comes to Indonesian food, so you should check that out. I'm impartial to Didong. If you're on a budget, consider Bogor - they've been in business since the 60's. Baladi Manouche for Lebanese streetfood, Kua for quality Mexican. The weather's shit, otherwise I'd send you to Capriole Cafe for the desserts and coffee. For lunch: John & June's, Appeltje/Eitje, Giuliano's, Crunch.

If you're into craft beer: Kompaan. If you want a good beer selection in a pub, Cafe de la Gare. Want cozy? Cafe Emma on the Regentesseplein. Vegetarian? The Hagedis (awesome building, too). For a cocktail, Spark (in the Hilton) and Stocks & Bonds are nice. Heading to Scheveningen with money to burn? Encore by Simonis is pretty swag. The harbour cafe/Burgerz combo's also kinda nice. In Chinatown there's some nice options too, from great cheap grub to a little fancier stuff, such as Little V (Vietnamese). Viet Street Food got you covered for Pho/Banhmi.

For a nice view over the city, head to the Penthouse (near DH Holland Spoor train station). Has a bar on the top floor with cool views. The Hague has a lot to offer off the beaten track - the city centre's a bit of a mess IMO but in the neighbourhoods surrounding it there's a lot of good stuff. You just have to go look for it. Anna Paulownaplein for example, is one of the coziest squares this country has to offer. If the weather cleans up a little, check out the Paleistuinen (Royal gardens) - small but nice. De Cortenaer is opposite to it and is a pretty nice spot for a drink when it's sunny.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
The whole Onno Hoes affair. Kind of outrageous that the parties left him on his own and ultimately forced him to resign because he kissed a man.
That seems like a misrepresentation of the incident. Which were about extra-marital affairs, not him being gay. And about him sharing confidential political agendas with one of the men he had an affair with later.

But for arguments sake, let's say he was ousted as mayor of Maastricht because of homophobia.... Is that enough to generalize an entire province of a million people?

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
I got you fam. Head to the Zeeheldenkwartier (short walk from city centre) for a lot of nice bars. If you're into a solid gourmet burger, head to Ich bin ein Hamburger in the Prins Frederikstraat. Gastropub van Kinsbergen around the corner is also pretty laidback. Den Haag arguably has the best on offering in the Netherlands when it comes to Indonesian food, so you should check that out. I'm impartial to Didong. If you're on a budget, consider Bogor - they've been in business since the 60's. Baladi Manouche for Lebanese streetfood, Kua for quality Mexican. The weather's shit, otherwise I'd send you to Capriole Cafe for the desserts and coffee. For lunch: John & June's, Appeltje/Eitje, Giuliano's, Crunch.

If you're into craft beer: Kompaan. If you want a good beer selection in a pub, Cafe de la Gare. Want cozy? Cafe Emma on the Regentesseplein. Vegetarian? The Hagedis (awesome building, too). For a cocktail, Spark (in the Hilton) and Stocks & Bonds are nice. Heading to Scheveningen with money to burn? Encore by Simonis is pretty swag. The harbour cafe/Burgerz combo's also kinda nice. In Chinatown there's some nice options too, from great cheap grub to a little fancier stuff, such as Little V (Vietnamese). Viet Street Food got you covered for Pho/Banhmi.

For a nice view over the city, head to the Penthouse (near DH Holland Spoor train station). Has a bar on the top floor with cool views. The Hague has a lot to offer off the beaten track - the city centre's a bit of a mess IMO but in the neighbourhoods surrounding it there's a lot of good stuff. You just have to go look for it. Anna Paulownaplein for example, is one of the coziest squares this country has to offer. If the weather cleans up a little, check out the Paleistuinen (Royal gardens) - small but nice. De Cortenaer is opposite to it and is a pretty nice spot for a drink when it's sunny.

GOOD FUCKING LORD MAN

Thank you so much dude!!!!

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Wow, this is a fantastic post. I know a couple of nice places in Den Haag, but this list is on a whole other level!

Goodbye

Oct 27, 2017

All that without mentioning Pita Gyros (Irodion) near Pathe and Media Markt? You failed my friend ;-)

Arkaine

Oct 30, 2017
Hmm, i work in The Hague, at TNO. I will try a pita gyros at Irodion coming friday!

Last edited:
Hoi, allemaal.

Lover of the Netherlands and most that is typically Dutch here.
Just thought I'd check out this thread, as I briefly lived and studied in NL and also can read and understand Dutch fairly well. Sadly, I no longer live there, but still try to find all things Dutch whenever I can.

Hope you don't mind my random, potentially ignorant, English posts - but no worries, you may always continue in Dutch!
My written and spoken Dutch is rather...uhm..amusing to Dutch speakers - I can always try, if you need some humor in your day.

Also, I actually thought most folks enjoyed Carnaval there? When else can one listen to the glory of Snollebollekes for days on end?! My whole understanding of this has been a lie.

dear dutch era, i'm here in the den haag area for a week with a few free days for a family reunion

would you guys have recommendations for rad local restaurants/beer places/cool sites in general to visit? so far on my agenda i've got a day amsterdam day trip to anne frank's house, rijksmuseum, blast galaxy, a space oddity and WHAT THE FUCK Y'ALL HAVE A CHEESE MUSEUM YOOOOOOO

Just out of curiosity, where will you be visiting from? That will help determine some unique things to find on your visit. But, yeah, that's a pretty stellar list that's already posted.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Also, I actually thought most folks enjoyed Carnaval there? When else can one listen to the glory of Snollebollekes for days on end?! My whole understanding of this has been a lie.
A lot of people enjoy carnaval. I'm pretty surprised with the general opinion in this thread. But there was also a thread about fireworks and there were a lot of negative comments on that as well, so I guess we should just say that the general opinion on internet boards (not only on Era) does not always represent the actual general opinion in the country - though it obviously shows what certain groups within the country think of certain topics.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
A lot of people enjoy carnaval. I'm pretty surprised with the general opinion in this thread. But there was also a thread about fireworks and there were a lot of negative comments on that as well, so I guess we should just say that the general opinion on internet boards (not only on Era) does not always represent the actual general opinion in the country - though it obviously shows what certain groups within the country think of certain topics.
I don't think it's just internet boards, or Era.

I'd be very surprised if over a third of the people in Limburg and Brabant celebrate carnaval. And if you're not celebrating the thing, it's mainly a nuisance at best. Walking through the city in the morning at work, I find ruined trashcans, shop windows, throw up on the streets, tons of general rubbage. Somehow one of the cobblestones in the street went missing, half the city roads were closed off at one point or another. On Tuesday, when the celebration is around the corner, I don't get to go to sleep until after midnight, despite it being a normal workweek and having to get up in the morning. Things like that.

If it were a thing that wasn't a bother, then sure, let people celebrate, what do I care? But unfortunately that's not it. So yeah, you get negative comments. I don't think I'm wholly unjustified in feeling negatively towards this. And that aside. Even during my younger days when I participated I disliked that it was just an excuse to get hammered and "act" like everyone's suddenly your best friend, suddenly people that wouldn't look twice at you if they passed you in the street are hanging around your neck. It felt like a bit of a farce, really.

As for Fireworks, pretty much the same deal. It's a nuisance for the majority of the country (after all, only 17% of the people in NL actually buy fireworks). I'm not against the idea of fireworks at midnight, or a cool fireworks show to celebrate the new year. But that's not what it is. The reality is that for weeks before you start hearing constant banging. Public property gets destroyed by fireworks. Your pets actively suffer. Aggression increases. People throw fireworks at cars and even actually at other people. Then there's the injuries and even deaths that are caused by fireworks. And the next day, the entire country is littered with shit and only a fraction of the people actually still clean up their own mess. Is all that worth it?

So yeah, I'm gonna be against all this "fun" if only because when the fun stops, all of us have to deal with the fallout. I don't think this is a "message board" or "internet" thing, either. I'd wager the people having the fun aren't actually the majority in either of these two cases.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't think it's just internet boards, or Era.

I'd be very surprised if over a third of the people in Limburg and Brabant celebrate carnaval. And if you're not celebrating the thing, it's mainly a nuisance at best. Walking through the city in the morning at work, I find ruined trashcans, shop windows, throw up on the streets, tons of general rubbage. Somehow one of the cobblestones in the street went missing, half the city roads were closed off at one point or another. On Tuesday, when the celebration is around the corner, I don't get to go to sleep until after midnight, despite it being a normal workweek and having to get up in the morning. Things like that.

If it were a thing that wasn't a bother, then sure, let people celebrate, what do I care? But unfortunately that's not it. So yeah, you get negative comments. I don't think I'm wholly unjustified in feeling negatively towards this. And that aside. Even during my younger days when I participated I disliked that it was just an excuse to get hammered and "act" like everyone's suddenly your best friend, suddenly people that wouldn't look twice at you if they passed you in the street are hanging around your neck. It felt like a bit of a farce, really.

As for Fireworks, pretty much the same deal. It's a nuisance for the majority of the country (after all, only 17% of the people in NL actually buy fireworks). I'm not against the idea of fireworks at midnight, or a cool fireworks show to celebrate the new year. But that's not what it is. The reality is that for weeks before you start hearing constant banging. Public property gets destroyed by fireworks. Your pets actively suffer. Aggression increases. People throw fireworks at cars and even actually at other people. Then there's the injuries and even deaths that are caused by fireworks. And the next day, the entire country is littered with shit and only a fraction of the people actually still clean up their own mess. Is all that worth it?

So yeah, I'm gonna be against all this "fun" if only because when the fun stops, all of us have to deal with the fallout. I don't think this is a "message board" or "internet" thing, either. I'd wager the people having the fun aren't actually the majority in either of these two cases.
Maybe I have a distorted view then. I don't live in Brabant or Limburg, but the people from there that I know always celebrate it, so I guess that's my mistake.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
That seems like a misrepresentation of the incident. Which were about extra-marital affairs, not him being gay. And about him sharing confidential political agendas with one of the men he had an affair with later.

But for arguments sake, let's say he was ousted as mayor of Maastricht because of homophobia.... Is that enough to generalize an entire province of a million people?
I think a lot of people also wanted him to quit not because he is gay but because his partner at the the time Albert verlinde isn't exactly popular. The popular program the kwis had material for weeks because of the affair.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
You're welcome :). Enjoy your stay.
Hoi, allemaal.

Lover of the Netherlands and most that is typically Dutch here.
Just thought I'd check out this thread, as I briefly lived and studied in NL and also can read and understand Dutch fairly well. Sadly, I no longer live there, but still try to find all things Dutch whenever I can.

Hope you don't mind my random, potentially ignorant, English posts - but no worries, you may always continue in Dutch!
My written and spoken Dutch is rather...uhm..amusing to Dutch speakers - I can always try, if you need some humor in your day.

Just out of curiosity, where will you be visiting from? That will help determine some unique things to find on your visit. But, yeah, that's a pretty stellar list that's already posted.

My family actually moved over to Rotterdam for a few days. I'm going to see if I can still get back to Den Haag for a day or so to get to Rei Toei's recommendations. For Monday I'll be hanging out with an old friend in Utrecht.

My family actually moved over to Rotterdam for a few days. I'm going to see if I can still get back to Den Haag for a day or so to get to Rei Toei's recommendations. For Monday I'll be hanging out with an old friend in Utrecht.

American perspective:
I lived in R'dam for a while - not sure if you would like any recommendations or not, but here are a few obvious suggestions!
If you're into more unique food from the middle east, check out the excellent Turkish and Morroccan restaurants there!
And for a Made-in-Rotterdam fast food experience, go to Jaffa on Witte de Withstraat and get yourself the heavenly calorie-bomb known as a kapsalon with everything on it - or just explore the rest of the restaurant options on Witte de Withstraat, cause it's awesome.

Other than that, Rotterdam has an inordinately large number of excellent Italian food, including excellent Italian pizzerias, and lots of great cafes, bakeries for a good bite to eat - the typically good stuff you can find throughout the country.

If you haven't already, the Dutch Appeltaart with real whipped cream (slagroom) is something I would recommend. One of my favorite desserts there.

Another very unique, and in my opinion, underrated cuisine you can find in the Netherlands is Surinamese food. It's maybe more like a mix of Indian/Indonesian, if you're into that.
It is definitely not considered haute cuisine there and most places are small, take-out only affairs. But, it's very difficult to find that type of food anywhere outside Suriname/Dutch Antilles and the Netherlands, and the flavors and textures aren't quite like anything else I've found. Just be sure to look up a well-reviewed Surinamese place first.
Chicken Roti, Chicken Curry sandwiches, Bara, Saoto soup are all good places to start!

I remember December 31st before the fireworks ordinance all too well, if the scene is anything like that. I get a headache just thinking about it.
Non-stop fireworks, amplified by the buildings. Just from that aspect alone, I can understand the frustration.

Ik kan ook in het nederlands lezen, als dat beter is voor jullie! Ik moet trouwens beter nederlands leren - en ook beter schijven...

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gaat iemand naar de Intertoys deze ochtend? De winkel hier in Ede (en een boel andere, staan op hun site) gaat weg en er komt een opheffingsuitverkoop. Hopelijk wat game-relateerde dingen met een goede korting.

Goodbye

Oct 27, 2017
Gaat iemand naar de Intertoys deze ochtend? De winkel hier in Ede (en een boel andere, staan op hun site) gaat weg en er komt een opheffingsuitverkoop. Hopelijk wat game-relateerde dingen met een goede korting.
Ik las al vrij snel dat de kortingen op dit moment nog niet echt de moeite waard zijn. 0% op consoles, 10% op games en slechts enkele groepen op 30%. Daarnaast regende het vanochtend ;-)

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
American perspective:
I lived in R'dam for a while - not sure if you would like any recommendations or not, but here are a few obvious suggestions!
If you're into more unique food from the middle east, check out the excellent Turkish and Morroccan restaurants there!
And for a Made-in-Rotterdam fast food experience, go to Jaffa on Witte de Withstraat and get yourself the heavenly calorie-bomb known as a kapsalon with everything on it - or just explore the rest of the restaurant options on Witte de Withstraat, cause it's awesome.

Other than that, Rotterdam has an inordinately large number of excellent Italian food, including excellent Italian pizzerias, and lots of great cafes, bakeries for a good bite to eat - the typically good stuff you can find throughout the country.

If you haven't already, the Dutch Appeltaart with real whipped cream (slagroom) is something I would recommend. One of my favorite desserts there.

Another very unique, and in my opinion, underrated cuisine you can find in the Netherlands is Surinamese food. It's maybe more like a mix of Indian/Indonesian, if you're into that.
It is definitely not considered haute cuisine there and most places are small, take-out only affairs. But, it's very difficult to find that type of food anywhere outside Suriname/Dutch Antilles and the Netherlands, and the flavors and textures aren't quite like anything else I've found. Just be sure to look up a well-reviewed Surinamese place first.
Chicken Roti, Chicken Curry sandwiches, Bara, Saoto soup are all good places to start!

I remember December 31st before the fireworks ordinance all too well, if the scene is anything like that. I get a headache just thinking about it.
Non-stop fireworks, amplified by the buildings. Just from that aspect alone, I can understand the frustration.

Ik kan ook in het nederlands lezen, als dat beter is voor jullie! Ik moet trouwens beter nederlands leren - en ook beter schijven...

Sorry for the late reply but yoo thank you so much! I'll see if I can hit up these spots on Sunday!

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Volgens Budgetgaming en Pepper begint de uitverkoop op 10% maar loopt langzaam op naar maximaal 70%. Even geduld hebben

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
Ik dacht dat het Niels zou zijn.

Disclaimer: ik heb nog nooit een hele aflevering gekeken, maar ik heb een vriendin die elke zaterdagavond 15 Instagram stories met reacties en dergelijke online zet. Dus second-hand viewing?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I feel I should sneak in here as a WIDM fan (and now following De Mol Belgium) - both through people who subtitle it in English - and say that for the first time in ages I was on the mole from very early on. Something in the laser game made me suspicous, and it was proven out in the reunion.

OP
OP
7threst

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I feel I should sneak in here as a WIDM fan (and now following De Mol Belgium) - both through people who subtitle it in English - and say that for the first time in ages I was on the mole from very early on. Something in the laser game made me suspicous, and it was proven out in the reunion.
Wait, WIDM is getting subbed and watched outside of the Netherlands? Mind = blown

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea this was a thing, that's awesome! Where are you from, if I may ask?
UK. We had two series of The Mole way back at the turn of the century, and nothing since. Dutch Mole and Belgian Mole have been godsends!

Edit: Heck, there's an english-language podcast about gamey reality TV (Amazing Race, Survivor, that sort of thing), and they've been covering Dutch mole over the last few years - to the extent that one of the hosts was actually in Vondelpark on Sunday!

Last edited:

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I always thought the program was thought up in Holland. Shows you how much I know lol
Belgium did it first waaaay back in 1998, but only for a few years; the third went out in 2003 - started up again only quite recently with their fourth series, but it's been one-a-year since.

Pretty sure WIDM is the longest running version, though.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Krijg net ook een telefoontje van mijn partner. Werkt in Houten. Die wordt door de zaak met een taxi naar huis gereden. Bizar. Blijf veilig, Utrechtenaars!

Zevenberge

Oct 27, 2017
Ik hoorde het nadat ik een lunchwandeling had gemaakt (De Bilt). Ik hoop dat ze de dader(s) snel pakken :s

Blij dat het er nu naar uit ziet dat er in elk geval geen doden zijn gevallen.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Er zijn hopelijk geen doden gevallen. Ik las net op NU dat de mobiele eenheid en politie waarschijnlijk een inval aan het voorbereiden zijn aan de Trumanlaan in Utrecht. Hopelijk pakken ze de dader.

Zevenberge

Oct 27, 2017
Bij ons zijn ze ook komen mededelen dat we binnen moeten blijven. Iemand die per trein naar Rotterdam moest, is al afgevoerd (kon met een collega mee rijden die die kant op ging).

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Een collega die in Overvecht is is NET verteld dat ze ook daar (op een school) binnen moeten blijven. Blijkbaar toch nog dreiging.

Zevenberge

Oct 27, 2017
Ik denk persoonlijk dat dreiging een groot woord is. Aan de ene kant is het uit voorzorg, omdat de dader nog niet gepakt is. Aan de andere kant helpt het ook om de dader te pakken. To hide a tree, use a forest. Ofwel, als hij zich in een stroom mensen op kan laten gaan, is hij weg. Als de stroom beperkt is, dan worden individuele bewegingen opeens verdacht.