• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
IQwHoGY.png

What is Dwarf Fortress?
Dwarf Fortress is a single-player "ASCII" game (uses letters and other symbols to represent creatures and objects) which includes both a roguelike adventure mode, and the more popular Dwarf Fortress Mode, which focuses on the creation and survival of a small dwarven settlement.

Dwarf Fortress has a very steep learning curve, partly due to its ASCII graphics, but also due to the fact that it is one of the most complex games ever released.

The first alpha version of Dwarf Fortress was released on the 8th of August 2006 after nearly 4 years of development (which began in October of 2002).
Note that while Dwarf Fortress is technically still in the alpha stage of development, it is fully playable, and definitely enjoyable.

Dwarf Fortress is developed by Tarn Adams with help from his brother Zach. Tarn Adams declared the game his life's work and said he expects another 20 years before it will be complete. Development is supported solely through donations, and contributors receive either short stories or crayon drawings as thank-yous from the developers.
lUML0eB.jpg

System Requirements
Windows requires XP SP3 or newer.
Linux runs natively or using Wine.
Mac needs Intel chip.
Beefy CPU recommended

Where can I get it?
Dwarf Fortress is free and you can download it from the Bay 12 Games: Dwarf Fortress pagehere.

Dwarf Fortress Starter Pack
This starter pack bundles Dwarf Fortress with the best community graphics packs, tools, and interface improvements already configured - so getting the best of everything only takes a single download and no fiddling, easy for anyone.

Game Modes
Fortress Mode
- the more popular of two modes of gameplay in Dwarf Fortress, with the other mode being Adventure mode. It is often the mode implied when one talks about Dwarf Fortress. In fortress mode, you pick an embark location, and then assign your seven initial dwarves some starting skills, equipment, provisions, and animals to bring along. After preparations are complete and your hardy explorers embark, they'll be faced with the fortress site you picked down to every little detail, from geologically appropriate stone types to roaring waterfalls to ornery hippopotami. Rather than control individual dwarves, you design everything and your dwarves will go about implementing your designs on their own.

Adventurer Mode - also called Adventure Mode. Create a single adventurer (dwarf, human, or elf) who starts out somewhere in one of your generated worlds. You can receive quests, venture into the wilderness to find caves, shrines, lairs, abandoned towers, and other towns and settlements. You can even visit your abandoned fortresses and find whatever riches were left to be guarded by the creatures that sealed their fate.

Legends Mode - one of the three main methods of interacting with an already generated world. You cannot start Legends mode (or Fortress or Adventurer mode) until you create a new world. Legends Mode allows you to inspect the history of a world. Many players choose to design a world where the option Reveal all history is set to YES. However, if you set the option to NO, then the the vast majority of the world's history will be hidden from Legends mode, and only uncovered by brave adventurers. In fact, there are many ways for an adventurer to uncover the past. Talk to people in civilized sites and they will tell you of their families, surroundings and local histories. Past events can also be found by viewing coins or items with images, or by visiting abandoned fortresses and viewing the engraved tiles within. You don't have to have an adventure or fortress game active in order to use legend mode. Some players simply enjoy Legends mode for the option of looking at the interactive historical map, or to read about the last time their favorite kingdom went to war, or for the ability to export lists of all the sites and governments active in the world.

Gameplay
There is no internal end point, single goal, final Easter egg or "You Win!" announcement in Dwarf Fortress. Therefore, eventually, almost every fortress will fall. The only ones that don't tend to be very conservative and very boring—and what fun is that? Therefore, DF = losing ∧ DF = fun ⇒ losing = fun, and that's okay! It's a game philosophy, so embrace it, own it, and have fun with it!
This section will explain some of the many gameplay elements in Dwarf Fortress.

World Generation - to begin playing Dwarf Fortress, you must first create a world to play in.

Mining - an essential part of building a fort in Dwarf Fortress. There are several reasons you might want to mine, such as searching for various stone types, ores and gems, or simply to create the basic tunnels and rooms in your fort. Mining refers to either the skill that performs mining, the labor associated with it, or simply the task or job of performing said labor.

Workshops - where materials are processed by dwarves into more valuable or useful items.

Military - one of the most important aspects of a successful fortress. Even with many traps, drawbridges and other defenses, your military will still need to fend off goblin sieges, megabeasts, titans, and fiendish underground beasties. Using a combination of squad orders and scheduling, you can set up an elaborate offensive, defensive, or balanced military structure for your well-equipped soldiers to follow. Turning your dwarves from useless migrants into bloodthirsty killing machines never hurts (unless you're the enemy).

Farming - the act of growing crops for food, alcohol production and cloth manufacturing. While small forts can easily be sustained by plant gathering, hunting and trading, farming is vital to large settlements.

Alcohol - the favored drink of the dwarves; a dwarf will drink booze an average of four times per season to satisfy their thirst, and although they can subsist on water, without booze they will work increasingly slowly. Dwarves like to have some variety in what they drink, and will garner a bad thought if they are forced to drink the same variety of drink repeatedly ("has been tired of drinking the same old booze lately"). Every dwarf likewise has preferences for various types of drinks, starting hidden and then appearing as each type of drink becomes known to your fortress. Thus alcohol is important both for maintaining your fortress (at a minimum) and (with some investment in variety) for keeping your dwarves happy.

Nobles - dwarves appointed to office and rule over your fortress. They can make demands and set mandates which get in the way of the running of your fort, and get upset that other dwarves have nice rooms, but can also serve vital managerial roles. At least some of them.

Sieges - large scale assaults on your fortress by other civilizations, normally goblins and necromancers. They are usually announced with the message screen "A vile force of darkness has arrived!" (the message screen differs depending on the attacking race, the previous one is for goblins), and the main screen shows the "SIEGE" tag along the top for the duration.

Links
Bay 12 Games
Dwarf Fortress File Depot
Dwarf Fortress Stories

Last edited:

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like under system requirements it should be recommended to have a beefy CPU. :P

Nice OT, I hope this thread is relatively active. :)

Deleted member 9840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm watching this thread, so that I can read about Dwarf Fortress and not play it myself, because I'm still recovering from a vicious werepig attack.

OP
OP
Raptomex

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like under system requirements it should be recommended to have a beefy CPU. :P

Nice OT, I hope this thread is relatively active. :)
I just ripped this straight from my OT at the old place. I think I just copied the requirements from the site. But I added the recommendation. Good idea.

This has to be the most in-depth game I've ever played. Some people have it mastered but even after months of playing, I have a hard time managing a shit-ton of dwarves. I need to get back into it. This game needs more recognition.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing it for years I still haven't gotten a working water well or been able pump magma. :P The only thing I do is create a crapton of spiked wooden balls and use them trade for pretty much anything I need (expect with elves since it's wood). It's my best get rich quick scheme.

OP
OP
Raptomex

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching this thread, so that I can read about Dwarf Fortress and not play it myself, because I'm still recovering from a vicious werepig attack.

I've been playing it for years I still haven't gotten a working water well or been able pump magma. :P The only thing I do is create a crapton of spiked wooden balls and use them trade for pretty much anything I need (expect with elves since it's wood). It's my best get rich quick scheme.
This. It seems I just can't grasp some of the more complex stuff.

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
This has to be the most in-depth game I've ever played. Some people have it mastered but even after months of playing, I have a hard time managing a shit-ton of dwarves. I need to get back into it. This game needs more recognition.
Really? I think Dwarf Fortress is up there with Half Life 2, WoW, etc as one of the quintessential facets of "what is PC gaming". It's so influential, and talked about, and if you're into PC gaming, you'll likely have heard of Dwarf Fortress

===

This is one of those games I should absolutely love but have never been able to get into it. I'll probably try it again tonight

inoperativ

Oct 28, 2017
Amsterdam/Paris
Thanks for the creating a nice OT for the greatest game of all time! I wish I still had time to play DF properly, I probably put a thousand hours into it it as an undergrad but not had the time to keep up with the updates since...

Revenger

Oct 28, 2017
Greatest story-creating sandbox game out there. It's a pain to learn, but once you've learnt the basic controls, the game really opens up a whole world of story telling.

I've played perhaps 200-300 hours in my life and I'm still quite the newb. Haven't touched aquifiers or even magma yet but still having a blast managing my fortress.

Haven't touched adventure mode though, wasn't very fleshed out the last time I played. Anyone know what its like?

OP
OP
Raptomex

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
Really? I think Dwarf Fortress is up there with Half Life 2, WoW, etc as one of the quintessential facets of "what is PC gaming". It's so influential, and talked about, and if you're into PC gaming, you'll likely have heard of Dwarf Fortress

===

This is one of those games I should absolutely love but have never been able to get into it. I'll probably try it again tonight
That's news to me. But that could very well be due to the sites I visit and such. I may just be out of the loop.
Greatest story-creating sandbox game out there. It's a pain to learn, but once you've learnt the basic controls, the game really opens up a whole world of story telling.

I've played perhaps 200-300 hours in my life and I'm still quite the newb. Haven't touched aquifiers or even magma yet but still having a blast managing my fortress.

Haven't touched adventure mode though, wasn't very fleshed out the last time I played. Anyone know what its like?
The last time I played adventure mode it just felt like some kind of lone wolf mode. I haven't tried it since the most recent major update though.

Manik

Oct 29, 2017

I just cannot seem to wrap my head around adventure mode - it just doesn't click for me in the same way that fortress mode does, and it feels like it would be way too impenetrable for anyone new to the game.

Really looking forward to the next update; it has been a while since I jumped back in, so the question now is whether to wait until it's released or hope I can fit in a fortress before it comes out...

If we ever get enough interest to get a ResetEra Community Fortress up and running then I would be massively up for that.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
Hello old, new thread. I'd be also in for a community fortress eventually depending on the rules/setup.

I just tried to check in the DF forums for info on the new release. Do we have a list of features that will be in somewhere?

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the main new feature is being able to send out a questing party to recover loot or stolen children. And I think you can antagonize other races like humans they will start a war but I don't remember if that's a feature being worked on for the next build.

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the main new feature is being able to send out a questing party to recover loot or stolen children. And I think you can antagonize other races like humans they will start a war but I don't remember if that's a feature being worked on for the next build.
Yeah, the questing stuff is the only thing i could find, but from toadys comments it seems like the new version is overloaded with new features, so i thought there might be more.

TuturuJones

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, the questing stuff is the only thing i could find, but from toadys comments it seems like the new version is overloaded with new features, so i thought there might be more.

One of my most expected features is going to be added, sending out raiding dwarf parties. Sending Dwarves to mess with elves will be pretty fun.

Azusa

Oct 25, 2017
If you check DF site there is a list of all future changes.

Here is the list of [Done, Next Release] features/improvements:

World generation preliminaries
  • Worldgen fortress artifacts
  • Worldgen named weapons/armor for heroes
  • Worldgen holy relics
  • Various claims and ownership types for artifacts (heirloom, entity symbol, etc.)
    • Conflict over competing artifact claims
    • Conflict can be resolved/ties deepened with artifact gifts
    • Worldgen invaders loot artifacts
    • Worldgen thieves directed toward new artifacts
    • Some worldgen megabeasts seize new artifacts
Background changes
  • All sites should understand how artifacts can be stored
  • Handle kobold site maps
  • Some buildings/items used to display artifacts (all modes)
  • Knowledge/rumors for artifact locations/possessors
Artifact quests and agents
  • Quest to retrieve, steal or otherwise obtain artifact for somebody
  • Quests can be taken by player adventurer or other characters
  • Recognition of where artifact is placed by player and others
Fortress artifact interactions
  • Ability to send a squad off the map to fetch a stolen artifact

Azusa

Oct 25, 2017
Down to two now! The various remaining artifact issues were uneventful. Now the main thing left to do is handling all this companions-during-infiltration business, the issue being that a goblin might address one of your companions instead of you, due to line-of-sight, etc., and your buddy needs to be able to pipe up intelligently to save all your lives. Might take some days due to the various various ways it can All Go Wrong.

Then finally some bugs I promised to do before the release. Normally, we do bug-fixing for a while afterward (and of course we'll still do that), but e.g. dwarves being stuck in trees and broken undead tissues managed to get to the pre-release promise list, in some discussion or other. So we'll see how that goes after the companion identity stuff is handled. Then we should be ready!

Update release soon? Could be a few more months.

Manik

Oct 29, 2017
So I finally gave in waiting for the new release and just jumped back in on the current version. I've never tried a particularly challenging embark so, with the thinking that the fort won't last long and that'll lead nicely into the new release, I chose to embark between two necromancer towers.

Jesus... It has been pretty relentless so far. I'm around a year and a half into the life of the fortress and I've already had visits from a necromancer with two undead - One an elf and one a human - who left only one of my soldiers alive. One of the soldiers wasn't even standing for most of the fight - he took a crossbow bolt which severed his spine and left him unable to walk. He spent the rest of the battle crawling around slashing and biting at the legs of the undead elf. He even managed to bite an ear off when the elf was tackled to the ground by my other soliders which was pretty determined of him.

That was followed up by a couple of necromancers who stayed away from the fort itself but raised the partially decomposed skeleton of the elf from the first attack and sent it right into the middle of my fort. That attack was only staved off by my entire group of dwarves piling onto it and, eventually, crushing its skull.

Then a werepanda showed up and attacked a herbalist whilst she was out gathering plants, resulting in a stay in the hospital. The herbalist was also carrying her daughter at the time, who ended up crawling around the fort on her own whilst her mum was being looked after in the hospital. All was fine until the herbalist herself also then turned into a werepanda (she must have gotten infected when she was attacked) and proceeded to tear up the entire hospital, including all those dwarves who were recuperating from earlier battles and most of my military.

To make matters worse, when she was killed her child was forgotten about by the rest of the dwarves. Baby herbalist starts crying out for a drink of water and, by that point, the river had frozen over so there was no water source available. The baby was found dead a month later - dehydrated and abandoned.

And now we're in the middle of goblin siege...

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
So...I finally figured out how to get dwarves mining, but I'm trying to do use designations to make them chope trees and gather plants and nothing happens, nothing even gets marked or selected

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Common error is not having a dwarf dedicated to those tasks. I recommend opening Dwarf Therapist in the noob pack to see your setup.
But the individual pieces should still be marked. Sounds like you cancel the marking instead of confirming it or soemthing.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Common error is not having a dwarf dedicated to those tasks. I recommend opening Dwarf Therapist in the noob pack to see your setup.
But the individual pieces should still be marked. Sounds like you cancel the marking instead of confirming it or soemthing.
Isn't it Enter to set the boundaries of the area to clear, like you do with selecting an area to mine?

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
So...I finally figured out how to get dwarves mining, but I'm trying to do use designations to make them chope trees and gather plants and nothing happens, nothing even gets marked or selected
Make sure you have an axe on a dwarf that can chop trees.

Also, you cannot give a dwarf mining and wood cutting at the same time so make sure nothing is conflicting. Also make sure you are selecting everything at the right z-level, you can only select trees at the level where they meet the ground (I'm like 99% sure) and if no plants are getting highlighted, double check that plants actually exist on that level in the first place using K to inspect tiles.

The wikia might provide an answer as well
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Labor

OP
OP
Raptomex

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
And I think if Dwarves are outside too long, that's not good. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Bo Neslek

Oct 25, 2017
Canada's Ear
I've wanted to dive into DF for years but the obtuse UI puts me off each time - even with the graphics packs. Has it improved at all since, say, 2013?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I've wanted to dive into DF for years but the obtuse UI puts me off each time - even with the graphics packs. Has it improved at all since, say, 2013?
Play it along with a tutorial. If you just try to dive in like I had for years, it's like banging your head against a brick wall. This time, I'm playing along with a tutorial that step by step explains the UI and such and it's been much smoother

Last edited:

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Play it along with a tutorial. If you just try to dive in like I had for years, it's like banging your head against a brick wall. This time, I playing along with a tutorial that step by step explains the UI and such and it's been much smoother

Yeah, everybody should learn it that way.

OP
OP
Raptomex

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
They certainly don't like the rain, but being outside is not bad for them unless they spend a long time underground. If they go too long without direct sunlight, they'll vomit as soon as they go outside. It's the side effect to cave adaptation.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Cave_adaptation
Ah. I think I got the two mixed up. I knew they couldn't be somewhere for too long.
Yeah, the tutorial mentioned above is the way to go. Sadly, the game is terrible at introducing new players to anything. You really do have to look things up or follow along with a tutorial.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, this screen. I'm tried pressing + on my laptop's number pad and the + next to the regular number keys, but nothing happens

lZ0clfz.png

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I figured out why my dwarves weren't cutting down trees....

I thought the little triangle tiles onscreen were the trees and was trying to mark those

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
For the first time, I

mined rooms into a mountain
cut down trees
set up stockpiles
made a second level for bedrooms
built a still and carpentry workshop

Feels like I'm finally getting a bit of an understanding of the controls.

One thing about how things work is that it's very much realistic logical steps. Like in another game, if you wanted to make beer, you'd select the workshop in a corner and select make beer and it would be done. Here, you have to make a still, and make barrels to store the beer, and what material to use to make the barrels, and what kind of beer and then order them to start using the needed plants to make the beer.

More steps, but sensical steps

OP
OP
Raptomex

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
For the first time, I

mined rooms into a mountain
cut down trees
set up stockpiles
made a second level for bedrooms
built a still and carpentry workshop

Feels like I'm finally getting a bit of an understanding of the controls.

One thing about how things work is that it's very much realistic logical steps. Like in another game, if you wanted to make beer, you'd select the workshop in a corner and select make beer and it would be done. Here, you have to make a still, and make barrels to store the beer, and what material to use to make the barrels, and what kind of beer and then order them to start using the needed plants to make the beer.

More steps, but sensical steps
Yeah, it's a great feeling when you get things up and running. This is usually how far I get, maybe a little further, with more shops and stuff, before everything spirals out of control. I have yet to create anything of complexity like pumps, mechanical traps, and stuff like that. I think I got a draw bridge working once.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Update 40.01 is now live! (Linux version is delayed)

Read the full devlog here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/#2017-11-22

New stuff
  • Ability to send out squads to raid sites, rescuing prisoners and recovering artifacts
  • Display cases and pedestals, museum zones, both in forts and other sites
  • Can view the world map w/ rumors from fort mode
  • Artifacts created during worldgen: dwarf moods, named heroic objects, holy relics, heirlooms
  • New artifact events in play and worldgen: questers seek artifacts and ask for or steal them, invaders demand artifacts
  • New historical events associated to the creation of artifacts (used in fort and worldgen)
  • Agents used by civilizations to gather information, can assume cover identities
  • Improved kobold site maps
  • Goblin site denizens demand an identity instead of immediately attacking every stranger
  • More modding control over pets and other animals
  • Adventurer can assume a cover identity at will
  • Adventurer can name their possessions
  • New adventurer reputations related to artifacts
  • New religious activity: monks, pilgrims and prophets
  • Museums and other room types can be added to fort locations like taverns and libraries
  • Various additional data in the XML export
Major bug fixes

• Fixed weapon trap crash vs. item breakage
  • Fixed bug preventing monster slayers from visiting those forts with monsters to slay
  • Made animated skulls, hair and other bits easier to pulp
  • Made idle and vermin-hunting dwarves come down from trees more successfully
  • Made thirst/hunger and being pushed out of the way less likely to terminate dances
Other bug fixes/tweaks

• Alphabetized broad stock screen categories
  • Fixed problem with historical bodies not respecting wounds/processing
  • Fixed bug causing religions to worship too many gods, with duplicates
  • Made simple burrow beasts start in caves as possible
  • Fixed broken historical collection linkage with beast attacks during festivals
  • Fixed one instance of broken animal person greetings
  • Stopped natural animals from w.g. rampaging through sites owned by entities at peace with wildlife
  • Took age into account for w.g. fights vs. body size (e.g. proper dragon size)
  • Stopped people from being enough to satisfy a need to see great beasts
  • Made visitors less nervous about going to neutral locations

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Therapist already working?

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
Therapist already working?
Just fired up the new version today. Seems to be working as far as I can tell.

Can't wait to start raiding other civs! This is what I've wanted since I started playing df years ago. Shame we can't just outright wage war, but this is a step in the right direction!

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Updated newb pack anywhere started playing again and just saw the updates the other day.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, I reinstalled Dwarf Fortress (latest starter pack alpha - seems stable). It's all coming back to me. Stockpiles. Storage bins. Up/Down stairs. Cabachons. Waxworker cancels store item in stockpile; interrupted by Rhesus Macaque. Even the military screen feels vaguely familiar. My initial fort has a canyon waterfall on the map, which I've built a bridge past, between the main fort and the bedrooms, so every dwarf gets a good happy misting every time they go to sleep.

I would love to get in on a reset succession fort if there are enough takers.

horn tooting: My crowning glory of DF, after which every new fort felt empty and pointless. In fact, it's why I never really picked the game up again until now. I was inspired by Kruggsmash's youtube series. He illustrates and narrates his play in a very entertaining way, editing out all the boring filler between story beats. It's a bit rough around the edges to start with, so you could skip ahead to episode 21 or so of Steelclutches Pt.1.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Been playing a decent amount of Caves of Qud and it finally made me want to try Adventure mode properly in DF, but man, the UI is especially unintuitive here. I'm also still having a really hard time parsing what is on screen, especially where there are constant elevation changes in hills/mountains, etc.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, DF's UI is easily the worst thing about it, and not even the best of mods can help escape that. Just remember that if you ever need to know what something is, you can use the k key (for loo[k]) to figure it out. If you use more than one monitor, you can also borrow this quick reference guide so at least you don't have to fumble around with the controls. You'll eventually will be able to pick up what most things are after a while.

https://i.redd.it/chew49nr2yez.png

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Not to double post but this thread doesn't move very fast so...

A new update has been released! 0.44.06. The major gameplay change is that now we can demand tribute from places you pillage and dwarves can gain skills during missions.

And of course in the bug fixes: "Stopped animals from developing need for alcohol after experiencing trauma."

Never change DF.

As always, the full list of bug fixes and features added are available on the main website: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/#2018-03-09

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh wow, didn't know we had a thread here. Haven't rolled a new fort in a couple years but still keep an eye on major updates. Last major one I remember was paper making and the ability to build taverns and holy sanctuary type things, clearly I've missed a bunch of stuff since then. You can send out raids and interact with the larger world from the fort side now? Awesome.