• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That's definitely true. There are some people who will find the smallest reason to be offended by something and they make way too big of a deal out of that small thing. He shouldn't have said "snowflake generation" though becuse all of the good social things that progressed in the world in the last 30years that he mentioned would be mostly because of that generation that he's talking about.

He could have worded that a billion times better though. This is one of the few things that I'd say people on both sides do. But Internet alt right people are gonna try to eat this up because he said the word "snowflake"

What are you referencing when you say it's true?

You do realize thee terms "easily offended" and "snowflake" are used to shit on people like trans people, women in #metoo, mass shooting survivors, etc...?

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's not wrong. When everything is a scandal then basically nothing is anymore. And that sucks for the people who really need a voice.

I'm not helping, I used to get all up in arms over this stuff but over the last few years my eyes glaze over and I just tune out whenever there's a story about someone getting blown up by a Twitter mob for doing something offensive.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
He's not wrong. When everything is a scandal then basically nothing is anymore. And that sucks for the people who really need a voice.

I'm not helping, I used to get all up in arms over this stuff but over the last few years my eyes glaze over and I just tune out whenever there's a story about someone getting blown up by a Twitter mob for doing something offensive.

He's right though, certain folks are looking to be offended over the smallest things at times.

Again, this is usually meant to shit on people as described on the previous page.

Can you elaborate one what YOU mean when you agree with it please?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Live reporting. We are now at page 6 over a single tweet and growing..

Just another day I guess...

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
hes right there are people who look for things to get offended by just to be offended

It happens, but there is also a lot of people who use snowflake/SJW to also dismiss valid concerns as well. And honestly, something my uncle said to me points out that even those that get "overly offended" still help serve a purpose. My Uncle is gay and when I was a teen I asked what he thought of activists who seemed to be on the extreme end. His thoughts were pretty good... even if they are "overboard" they serve to create an extreme end so those that are not as extreme look more reasonable (without that they would look the extreme ones and people would listen less. But by having more extreme people it moved the bar further). He felt that it was great there were people like that. Meanwhile for him he'd prefer acting more "normal" and it served to also show people that gay people were just like them (he said it more elegantly and this was years ago but the gist of it was this).

So even if they are being offended just to be offended, it can still be helpful. Sure, some people will use that as an excuse to close their mind, but most likely those people would find some other reason to close their mind anyways.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Do people in this thread not see this sentiment often? In my experience disdain for modern call-out culture crosses most ideological/cultural lines. Albeit, this is in response to Hart which makes it hard to take his stance here serious.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
The snowflake generation? I guess he doesn't know why the term became popular. It's that certain sector of society that is setting us backwards.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Recently, a women (an American woman) was offended because Mario was dressed as a stereotypical Mexican in the cover of Super Mario Odyssey. It made the news and Nintendo actually removed the image from the cover.

We Mexicans loved that Mario dressed with a sombrero and zarape. An American woman got offended on behalf of Mexicans. We loved to be represented that way.
Yes, an american/mexican woman called Janet Garcia.

The article actually explains why Janet is dissapointed with the poncho and the problems she has with this kind of latin/mexican representation.

Do you even research before you write? Your only example consists of a lie and the delusion that any kind of representation is good representation. As a latino, you should know better.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The vast majority of the time, "people are too offended" and "snowflakes" is a reference to people on the left calling for respect from people on the right who are dehumanizing human beings.

It's often about trans people, non-binary people, people from other countries targeted by xenophobia, etc... It even encompasses things like survivors of mass shootings.

I'm curious what all of you mean when you say "he's right", because statistically many of you must be thinking of the above when you say this.

Why not fully own it?

I mean he's right about some people getting easily offended. Plain and simple.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
The Rock is a charming guy, but there's a 90% chance this is him defending Hart for being a shitheel, and that ain't a good look.

Oct 27, 2017
Again, this is usually meant to shit on people as described on the previous page.

Can you elaborate one what YOU mean when you agree with it please?
Yes, everyone knows how snowflake and such is used derogatorily by conservatives. I don't think anybody in this thread is supporting that use or even speaking to it. Their discussion is not about that as I am assuming we are all already in agreement about it.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
just wait til he starts running for office and starts spewing right wing bullshit.

The latest season of Ballers had a complete storyline about being yourself, i hardly doubt the Rock would start spewing right wing bullshit. He might have said it a little ackward but he's not completely wrong. Like the famous extremely left leaning Dutch historian Maarten van Rossem once said "To much political correctness leads to it's own discrimination"

Last edited:

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I lost respect for him when he did that "Rock Concert" on Raw where he brought Vicki out and sang her a song that called her a fat, old, ugly, whore for absolutely no reason so everyone could point and laugh at her.

Then WWE gave him a Slammy for "funniest moment of the year" for it and he insulted her in his "acceptance tweet". Then when he got called out for it his response was "Vicki and I are friends so it's okay".

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I mean he's right about some people getting easily offended. Plain and simple.

You're ignoring the fact that this kind of language is usually aimed at a specific type of people?

And you can't provide any examples of what you mean?

Yes, everyone knows how snowflake and such is used derogatorily by conservatives. I don't think anybody in this thread is supporting that use or even speaking to it.

I think that's a naive assessment to be honest.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

The article actually explains why Janet is dissapointed with the poncho and the problems she has with this kind of latin/mexican representation.

Do you even research before you write?

I have a question: if one Mexican is okay and another is not, what happens next?

Which is the 'right' opinion?

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
It's pretty wild how many people in this thread are just engaging with the surface-level argument while willfully ignoring the implicit dog whistles, or the outrageous claim that we live in a time when anyone can "be who they want to be."

Easier to pretend this is just about being offended over people holding the door open for a person or whatever, I guess. Keep telling yourselves that's what he's talking about, folks.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Do you even research before you write? Your only example consists of a lie and the delusion that any kind of representation is good representation. As a latino, you should know better.

Ignore Fernando. They won't ever respond when confronted with actual evidence of things. They just like to say stuff without thinking.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Is anyone actually interested in defining what they mean decrying so many people getting offended?

Like when I point out to someone what they said is fucked up, inappropriate, out of touch - I'm not offended, I'm calling you out.

I would get offended if someone called me ugly or something like that

Pointing out inequality, ignorance, and terrible views isn't being offended

I genuinely dislike even reading or typing the word so often as it doesn't really fit the situation

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Idk I click around on twitter threads and see people battling it out endlessly with an inordinate amount of time and energy over the biggest and smallest things. Even if they are in the right, they are spending unreasonable amounts of time and energy engaged in almost 1-sided fake battles with total strangers. It's what they do online, their entire online identity revolves around. I have not seen The Rock doing that.
The Rock got pissy about critics not liking his shitty Baywatch movie. That's about as much if not more snowflake-y offense-taking about a dumb thing than anything I see people being offended about.

And legit criticism & arguing about stuff on Twitter isn't inherently offense & outrage, even if it gets a bit heated. And so what if they sometimes are, if the cause is good? The world has never changed because someone was silent.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

Now I think about it, I haven't seen or heard in my 30 years of life, a Dominican being mad over the representation of our love for the banana. Hell we wear that on our sleeves with no shame #PlatanoPower.

But that poncho read was quite facinating.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It's funny how plenty of people come into this thread just to say "I agree with him", but not a single one of them has the balls to elaborate. Curious.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
We still live in a world where people are still afraid to come out to their parents, where trans people can't use the bathroom they prefer, where people get discriminated against for the color of their skin.

In this context, when you make dehumanizing jokes that help normalize this prejudice, you shouldn't get mad at them for clapping back.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
But Rock...you are the snowflake.

1510456685431.png
This is what I'll remember him most for. Peak embarrassing celeb imo

Emmert

Banned
Oct 23, 2018
Don't know why everyone calls millennials the snowflake generation. I mean, for example, not long ago in the US, we had separate facilities for races because the thought of black people being near white people offended whites so much. Talk about fragile.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
The Rock got pissy about critics not liking his shitty Baywatch movie. That's about as much if not more snowflake-y offense-taking about a dumb thing than anything I see people being offended about.

And legit criticism & arguing about stuff on Twitter isn't inherently offense & outrage, even if it gets a bit heated. And so what if they sometimes are, if the cause is good? The world has never changed because someone was silent.

he'd probably still be pissy about it if Jumanji didn't become a massive hit later that year, not because of his corny ass mind you.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's funny how plenty of people come into this thread just to say "I agree with him", but not a single one of them has the balls to elaborate. Curious.
come on now, we've had great examples of a hipster coffee shop interaction that definitely happened and Nintendo changing the box art of a Mario game, clearly snowflakes are a real problem in our society that's taking us backwards

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely think the whole "outrage culture" meme is overblown, but there definitely is an over sensitivity on the internet that has become very prevalent. Stretching things out to be offended is very much a real thing. It's not as insanely over dramatic as "being an entire generation," but it is there.

Case in point, the Gordon Ramsay/Sofia Vergara thread on ResetEra. They created a villain and a victim in a story before actually asking how the supposed "victim" felt about the situation. They created a victim and spoke for her without actually giving her a voice to speak her feelings on the matter. It was ridiculous.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, everyone knows how snowflake and such is used derogatorily by conservatives. I don't think anybody in this thread is supporting that use or even speaking to it. Their discussion is not about that as I am assuming we are all already in agreement about it.

Sad that this even needs to be explained. Just further proves Dwayne's point.

Everyone is saying he will run for President, what party is he a member of? Honestly don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.