• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
nstagram-saudi-arabia-the-prince-met-the-rock-on-an-32036803.png

MBS and now Kevin Hart. Who's next Rock?

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate that word, "snowflake", because it's just stupid, but he's not wrong. People these days need to learn that the world isn't here to coddle you. We all get offended from time time, but sticks and stones break bones, ya know? Brush it off and move on. Being offended is mostly a personal problem, not everyone else's and the world doesn't owe you an apology every time your feelings are hurt. Obviously there are instances when people do need to be taken to task and held accountable, but more often than not you're probably just being hyper sensitive and that's pretty annoying, to put it lightly... because here's the thing other people most likely don't give a shit if you are offended.

you hate the word "snowflake" because the people that use it sincerely are wearing their reactionary politics on their sleeve instead of doing the song and dance you're feeling compelled to do right here

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Legit question, why is always a contrarian opinión on topics like this is automatically met with a " Hiding alt righters coming out"

It's not a matter of opinion that's why. We know he's talking about Hart and only Hart not some larger discussion so the people chiming in with "he's right," must be either thinking that the Hart criticism was unfair OR they are the group that calls people SJWs. That group 9.9/10 times are Trumpers.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, he's right that there's a "certain sector of society" that's "looking for reasons to be offended" and is "actually putting us backward". Just that, as always, that sector of society is the one that's constantly calling others stupid terms like "snowflakes" or "SJWs", or, you know, complaining about how everyone else is offended "nowadays".

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
LOL at CurseVox's bs. Telling someone to not be offended over every little thing is such a white thing to do. I've lost count on how many times this happens here, any asian era member can attest to that.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I just think it's weird that you assume he is speaking about marginalized people being upset at legitimate things. I read his post, and I think to the people being offended at low video game or other media review scores, people offended that some poor customer service person is bending over backwards to their every whim, people offended that somebody didn't return their text, people offended by some aspect of a fictional story/character, shit like that.

that's adorable and I understand how vague these "hes' right you know" cowards actually are but that isn't it.

especially in a thread about that cornball dwayne obviously making these comments because of kevin hart's homophobic bullshit.

how about some self-reflection from these posters and the self realization of being a straight up asshole? it would make things easier.

also, am i back on neogaf?

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I just think it's weird that you assume he is speaking about marginalized people being upset at legitimate things. I read his post, and I think to the people being offended at low video game or other media review scores, people offended that some poor customer service person is bending over backwards to their every whim, people offended that somebody didn't return their text, people offended by some aspect of a fictional story/character, shit like that. I don't think you are considering the full diversity of outrage that exists online because there is a lot at the very bottom of the barrel, and none of it has to do with marginalized people.

Why do you think he opened by pointing out that everyone gets to be who they want to be? No, he isn't talking about whiny gamers. You're ignoring important parts of what he said to project your own point into this.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The Rock shouldn't speak so badly about boomers, I mean sure they are destroying the world and got into a fit of rage everytime there is something they don't "get" but still.

Oct 27, 2017
Why do you think he opened by pointing out that everyone gets to be who they want to be? No, he isn't talking about whiny gamers. You're ignoring important parts of what he said to project your own point into this.
He opened his post by saying he hates the term snowflake. At that point, I assumed the rest of his point is not about advocating for how conservatives use snowflake without he himself using the term snowflake. I thought he was speaking to what can be reasonably considered illegitimate outrage, such as the examples I listed.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Whole lot of people risking breaking their toes tiptoeing about what they really mean up in here, it's so transparent

Shocking that so few of you can be found in politically sensitive threads, almost like you're scared what people make of your actual opinions

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
MBS and now Kevin Hart. Who's next Rock?

one of these things is not like the other

Whole lot of people risking breaking their toes tiptoeing about what they really mean up in here, it's so transparent

Shocking that so few of you can be found in politically sensitive threads, almost like you're scared what people make of your actual opinions

this kind of deep paranoia is boorish and egotistical

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
I don't actually know anyone that spends all their time being offended by a thing. They make a comment and then move on with their life. There's just so many people saying and doing so many shitty things that there's always something to call out.

I agree. There are things that absolutely should be called out and they are. That is a positive thing. I don't think that's the issue though.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
So how about we don't +1 someone using that language in a way they don't really understand? And how about we acknowledge he's not actually right because people have always been opinionated (if that's what you mean by it).
So what term do we use for a guy who hears someone say happy holidays and get extremely upset about it? Or an obviously low income person who withdrew from a class after it was too late to get a refund, because a teacher said their hero was acting like a child? Gotta have some kind of term to explain those idiotic situations.
Still so many people jumping in with their lame ass takes not getting this is about Hart
I honestly just found out that they were friends thanks to this thread lmao. I've always ignored everything to do with Kevin Hart

I love that response haha

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
It's not a matter of opinion that's why. We know he's talking about Hart and only Hart not some larger discussion so the people chiming in with "he's right," must be either thinking that the Hart criticism was unfair OR they are the group that calls people SJWs. That group 9.9/10 times are Trumpers.
So there's no nuance for discussion is what you trying to tell me. That's where you and I disagree because if every discussion such a this gets some accused of being an alt right than what's the point of even engaging.

I'm a minority Hispanic guy, and I'm not even looking at that statement from a gender,race or political view. I do however agree that people do get offended over the smallest of things. Now with that said I'm not trying to silence your opinion or of others. Topics like this is easily to get dog pilled on for not agreeing with the general consensus.

If he was alluding to the Kevin Hart situation then sure but he isn't and people want to see and read what they want from that statement.

Those are my two cents, I think what I said isn't egregious and actually rather respectful (cause tone is an issue at times). But I agree with what he said taking the Kevin Hart thing out of the equation.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Vicki had to agree to that stuff to pay for her family once Eddy died. I mean, she's a Guerrero, she got pro wrestling, but it was awful.

Every insult to Cena(and Punk) basically being "You're gay, and gay is bad" was kind of gross too but at least in those instances there were his adversary and were beating him up. Vicki had no involvement in anything. She wasn't even a heel authority figure anymore.

Ryback saying "you're a nice person and you don't deserve this" and hugging her was meant to make Ryback look stupid, but he looked like the only sane one in the bunch.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"He added: "We thankfully now live in a world that has progressed over the last 30 or 40 years. People can be who they want, be with who they want, and live how they want."

This is very easy to say for a straight man celebrity with millions of dollars in their bank account. He won't get fired for being gay. He won't be beaten up for being trans. He won't be paid less for being a woman. And due to his line of work and success, he won't even be denied a job or a loan for being black.

But he will lose his shit for being in a badly reviewed movie. Kinda like a snowflake.

Also "my friend Rupert Murdoch", fucking ewww.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
sweet christ and that right there is exactly the problem. You're right. I don't get to decide and I don't care to. I have common sense, decency and manners but I'm sure as hell not going to walk on egg shells to make sure you don't get offended by something. That's your problem, not mine. How do you expect to make it in this world if you can't handle being offended from time to time? Also, I find it funny how you go right in defense mode about being offended but have ZERO problem slinging insults. I guess it only matters when you're offended, huh?

So you have common sense, decency and manners but yet you say if someone gets offended by something you say, that is their problem not yours?

How do those trains of thought fit together?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So what term do we use for a guy who hears someone say happy holidays and get extremely upset about it? Or an obviously low income person who withdrew from a class after it was too late to get a refund, because a teacher said their hero was acting like a child? Gotta have some kind of term to explain those idiotic situations.

Opinionated idiots?

That kind of thing is nothing new, as reasoned above. It's certainly not a generation thing, and it's certainly not "new" and "increasing".

"Snowflake generation" is terminology used by the right to shit on marginalised people. The less we +1 it, the better.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Literally none of the tweets quoted in this article are "offended"

But let's just pretend for a minute that the whopping six tweets they found were "offended." Does that actually mean that there is an epidemic of "snowflakes" or that an extremely small minority of people are taking things a little too far?

Fuck this stupid strawman and false narrative

Pretty sure the people "offended" by calling Thanks a sociopath were mostly people who think he was right to want to commit genocide for the "right" reasons too. Not exactly the perfect candidates for generation snowflake.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny because these days I see more people complain about snowflakes than I see "actual" "snowflakes" complaining about something.

Yep. They've got their own insecurities about the world changing and leaving them and their outdated views/opinions behind. So they have to find someone to blame for making them feel left out of the new, more progressive world.

As always, it's the young generations that they point their ire towards. Tale as old as time.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Opinionated idiots?

That kind of thing is nothing new, as reasoned above. It's certainly not a generation thing, and it's certainly not "new" and "increasing".

"Snowflake generation" is terminology used by the right to shit on marginalised people. The less we +1 it, the better.
I mean I'd never use the term snowflake anyway because of the alt right freaks lol

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't see why people are so eager to declare which celeb is a great human being, when none of us know these people and never will.

Just chill

I mean, there are very few reasons we can look at a person and make an overall value judgement regardless of celebrity status.

Kevin Spacey? Obviously a giant chode-face.

The Rock? He has opinions about things.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, not a good look there. He has bootstrap mentality however so this isn't surprising, doesn't he also lean right politically?

There's nothing specifically wrong with leaning right or having a bootstrap mentality, though. There is a degree of truth in overcoming obstacles yourself rather than expecting help and it's not like everything conservatives stand for is automatically wrong, either. In fact, most of the time, it's the people who represent conservative values that are the issue rather than the values themselves.

As for the snowflake thing, it's kind of a widespread issue independent of political ideology. Even in the field of comedy, lots of jokes no longer fly because people are now deciding they're offended by them. It's very difficult to draw a line between things that are actually offensive and things people are choosing to be offended by and it's very easy to get dogpiled for enjoying things the internet has decided in the last few years is no longer acceptable. Take Mel Brooks' movies - it's frowned upon to like even Young Frankenstein or Spaceballs these days because they're considered offensive and Mel Brooks himself admitted he couldn't release those movies today because they'd be considered too offensive.

And it's not just a "millenial" thing, either. Remember last year and the whole punching Nazis thing and how conservatives got super offended by it and demanded civility?

Oct 27, 2017
I can only speak for myself, but I very specifically was not referring to anything Hart related, and was only speaking to a larger discussion regarding the amount of people online and the diversity of things that upset people being so great that it inherently covers both legitimate and illegitimate topics.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
To think I used to be such a fan of the rock yet now all I think when I hear him speak is - fuck the rock!

Yes society has made progress but that's because people refused to stay silent about the mistreatment many were suffering. Just because progress has been made it doesn't mean society is where it should be.

We still have discrimination, bigotry and abuse prevalent in many forms yet according to people like him, we should all just take what gains have been made and shut up about anything else.

Also the term snowflake truly only applies to the right who can't accept that people want to be treated equally or want consideration in their daily lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.