• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnisJohn

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Snowflakes have existed forever in this country.

Snowflakes burned women at the stake because they dared to express their femininity.

Snowflakes murdered MLK and Malcolm X because they dared to speak up about equal rights.

Snowflakes demonized Tommie Smith and John Carlos and sent them death threats because they dared to raise the black power salute at the Olympics.

Snowflakes ruined the career of Colin Kaepernick because he dared to protest police violence and criminal justice reform.

Snowflakes just attempted to oust a Texas GOP leader because he dared to be Muslim.

Snowflakes claimed the POTUS wasn't legitimate because he dared to be black.

The next time you find yourself complaining about someone being overly sensitive about something that doesn't personally offend you, perhaps take a moment to look back on the true snowflakes of this country and the real damage they cause, and put that in perspective with whatever it is your complaining about.

Didn't the Nation of Islam kill Malcolm X?

It doesn't mean your point is invalid it just stood out among everyone else mentioned

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing concerns surrounding transphobia and racism; account still in junior phase
And you can't provide any examples of what you mean?

People calling for a boycott of Cyberpunk 2077 because CDPR tweeted a "Are you assuming their gender!?!?!?" 'joke'
The whole campaign against Halloween costumes
That white girl that wore the Chinese dress to prom
Cultural appropriation in general
The 'war on Christmas'
Hollywood's liberalness in general (Meryl Streep's Golden Globes speech)

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
So there's no nuance for discussion is what you trying to tell me.

Not in this thread there isn't because The Rock is not speaking generally he is literally responding specifically to the Hart situation it just appears like he is trying to have a larger discussion because he's a coward. So the"nuance" you are looking for isn't there. You are using his pretty straight forward defense of his friend to argue your own hang ups with people being offended.

You think there is a larger discussion to be had and are free to make a thread on it but don't try and piggy back your agenda on to his statement because his agenda was to simply defend his homophobic friend nothing more.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't see why people are so eager to declare which celeb is a great human being, when none of us know these people and never will.

Just chill
When someone shows you who they are, believe them. Even if we'll never know them in real life or be friends with them or whatever, many public figures provide ample evidence for us to be able to judge their motives.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Threads like this are eye openers. Fuuuuuck SJW-type insults, I've been done engaging with that shit for a minute. If people "being offended" is what you define this generation by rather than the barriers to exist that are being broken for the first time because of cherry picking assholes that would have existed in any previous generation, there is nothing you have to say that I need to hear.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I can only speak for myself, but I very specifically was not referring to anything Hart related, and was only speaking to a larger discussion regarding the amount of people online and the diversity of things that upset people being so great that it covers both legitimate and illegitimate topics.

The Rock's statement only sounds like he is trying to have a larger discussion because he is too cowardly to straight up defend Hart. If you want a larger discussion make a thread because The Rocks statement is all about Hart. You would have to be born yesterday to not see that.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Not in this thread there isn't because The Rock is not speaking generally he is literally responding specifically to the Hart situation it just appears like he is trying to have a larger discussion because he's a coward. So the"nuance" you are looking for isn't there. You are using his pretty straight forward defense of his friend to argue your own hang ups with people being offended.
You think there is a larger discussion to be had and are free to make a thread on it but don't try and piggy back your agenda on to his statement because his agenda was to simply defend his homophobic friend nothing more.
Chill there's no agenda on my end, so you can relax, I was trying to politely engage with you instead of just coming through like many saying "he's right". No reason to get all aggressive.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Whole lot of people risking breaking their toes tiptoeing about what they really mean up in here, it's so transparent

Shocking that so few of you can be found in politically sensitive threads, almost like you're scared what people make of your actual opinions
Whole lot of people risking breaking their toes tiptoeing about what they really mean up in here, it's so transparent

Shocking that so few of you can be found in politically sensitive threads, almost like you're scared what people make of your actual opinions

You thought this was so clever you posted it twice but don't have the courage to actually call anyone out lmao

Deleted member 50454

Banned
Dec 5, 2018
People calling for a boycott of Cyberpunk 2077 because CDPR tweeted a "Are you assuming their gender!?!?!?" 'joke'
The 'war on Christmas'

BruisedHatefulLadybug-small.gif

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Not surprising. No way he's going to throw Hart under the bus, given their past working relationship and the fact that Jumanji 3 is in the works.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
So you have common sense, decency and manners but yet you say if someone gets offended by something you say, that is their problem not yours?

How do those trains of thought fit together?

Because we are all different and what offends me may not offend you and vice versa. I can't expect you or anyone else to know every little thing that bothers me. I'm a grown ass adult and I know how to handle myself. Words hold little weight with me. I can move on with life just fine after being offended in a moment. That being said we all should exercise some common sense on how to treat others. My point is, it's literally impossible to not offend someone eventually. We are all different and not everyone shares our same views, sense of humor etc..

Oct 26, 2017
In my experience those that use the term snowflake for an entire generation of people are in fact the biggest snowflakes.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These people can never speak specifically to what they're talking about.
This is what I want. When someone throws snowflake out there with no specifics I'm going to assume the worst.

There are times I think people are over sensitive. But that doesn't set society back. It's just a random person trying too hard, big whoop.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The 'war on Christmas'

Unreal. This has to be satire.

158 tho so maybe not.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The 'war on Christmas'
if there were ever a correct time for a "YIKES," this is it

the war on fuckin Christmas, dude? Really?

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Snowflakes are beautiful. Why do these alt-right idiots keep ruining words like that? Get your own stupid terms!

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He became an independant and he supported "the march for our lives" so I imagine he's calling out the white, turning point usa, "oppressed," trashy, far right "snowflake generation."

He's also a huge a Hollywood movie star. Gunna put doubt on him being a Republican anymore.

He also clearly states that all people should be allowed to live their lives the way they want to.

His statement seems fair. Maybe I'm just interpreting it wrong.

Anyone agreeing with this statement definitely aren't a good fit for this forum. Fuck off.

lol whoa how did you interpret his statement?

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In my experience those that use the term snowflake for an entire generation of people are in fact the biggest snowflakes.

Also myopic, usually talking about something that personally affected them and how they feel they can and cannot talk anymore, projecting this personal experience onto an entire population or generation. It's stupid.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland

Have you been in any of those threads lol? It's bans upon bans usually.

I can totally see why people won't air their real views here and frankly I don't think people here want a discussion regardless.

I do try to avoid threads like this except to say I agree or disagree. It's my opinion that we should always be able to have a mature conversation about any subject.

Of course some people are been dickheads but ya..

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
sweet christ and that right there is exactly the problem. You're right. I don't get to decide and I don't care to. I have common sense, decency and manners but I'm sure as hell not going to walk on egg shells to make sure you don't get offended by something. That's your problem, not mine. How do you expect to make it in this world if you can't handle being offended from time to time? Also, I find it funny how you go right in defense mode about being offended but have ZERO problem slinging insults. I guess it only matters when you're offended, huh?

There are two different conflicting sentiments in this. You say that people who are offended are at fault but you have common sense, manners, and decency. Decency would be to try not to offend people and apologize when one does.

There's nothing specifically wrong with leaning right or having a bootstrap mentality, though. There is a degree of truth in overcoming obstacles yourself rather than expecting help and it's not like everything conservatives stand for is automatically wrong, either. In fact, most of the time, it's the people who represent conservative values that are the issue rather than the values themselves.

Getting and giving help should be expected. We are all in this together and need to prop each other up instead of putting each other down.No one truly does things on their own. The "bootstrap" mentality is problematic because it ignores environmental factors such as sexism and racism. It's how poor people are deemed "lazy". It's not a good look in any way.

I can't agree with Rock's myopic world view.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Chill there's no agenda on my end, so you can relax, I was trying to politely engage with you instead of just coming through like many saying "he's right". No reason to get all aggressive.

I wasn't aggressive. I was right and you were wrong and you might perceive that as aggression but only if you were easily offended or a "snowflake." Just save your own "everyone is so offended" angle for another thread because the Rock was not addressing that. He was just defending Hart.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
He's being so vague that people saying they "agree" are just hilarious. Agree with what exactly? There's no examples. He doesn't even really say which generation he means and people in this very thread are interpreting it to mean wildly different things.

Instead of saying you agree with his vague non-opinion, feel free to actually express a complete and unique thought.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Have you been in any of those threads lol? It's bans upon bans usually.

I can totally see why people won't air their real views here and frankly I don't think people here want a discussion regardless.

I do try to avoid threads like this except to say I agree or disagree. It's my opinion that we should always be able to have a mature conversation about any subject.

Of course some people are been dickheads but ya..

but seriously, am i back on neogaf? that forum was filled with these posts

sort yourself out, and grow a spine. let us hear your real views.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Actual mature conversation is great, but usually when people catch bans it's for saying shit like "lmao it's just a joke, don't take it so seriously" to stuff that is pretty clearly bigoted

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I wasn't aggressive. I was right and you were wrong and you might perceive that as aggression but only if you were easily offended or a "snowflake." Just save your own "everyone is so offended" angle for another thread because the Rock was not addressing that. He was just defending Hart.
Agree to disagree, with that said have a nice day.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
He became an independant and he supported "the march for our lives" so I imagine he's calling out the white, turning point usa, "oppressed," trashy, far right "snowflake generation."

He's also a huge a Hollywood movie star. Gunna put doubt on him being a Republican anymore.

He also clearly states that all people should be allowed to live their lives the way they want to.

His statement seems fair. Maybe I'm just interpreting it wrong.

lol whoa how did you interpret his statement?

The Rock is a right-wing dummy.

Most independents are just ashamed conservatives.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
A homophone is a shitty person, MBS is a despotic murderer, one of these thing is not like the other
Ok fine, in one pool there's Kevin Hart and Rupert Murdoch filed under "the shit people tier", and in another pool you've got "despotic murderer" and that's where MBS is. My point was that the Rock keeps some shitty company.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He's right, and it's good to hear him acknowledge the progress that has been made. There are plenty of shit bags that need to be called out and are, but there's also a fair amount of over-correcting being done as well. I have faith we will level out with time.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the salient point is that the rock is a bit of an asshole, clearly, not that MBS and Kevin Hart are 1:1 on the being shitty scale.

Why are you so stuck on that?

His continued chumminess with MBS is MUCH MORE problematic than his vapid defense of a homophobic friend. That's why I'm stuck on that, people losing the forest for the trees pretending The Rock is just now showing his true colors :-/

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
When someone shows you who they are, believe them. Even if we'll never know them in real life or be friends with them or whatever, many public figures provide ample evidence for us to be able to judge their motives.

Problem with this line of thinking is that most celebrities, well people but I'll focus on celebrities, are fake as shit. They all just put on a public persona to help grow and maintain their fanbase. There is no ample evidence, unless its something that they didn't want to be made public, like abusing their spouse or being a serial rapist.

Second problem with this, is that people are terrible judges of characters and once they make a value judgment on a celebrity based on little to nothing besides PR nonsense then they find it very hard to change that opinion when said celebrity's true colors come out. I'll give an example, take that Aziz Ansari incident that was reported last year. People on here rushed into that thread to post much apropos about nothing that basically amounted to "That doesn't sound like something Aziz would do".

None of them had ever even been in the same room as him.

I agree with your first sentence though.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The 'war on Christmas'

Opinionated people exist? This is not news.

Also that Cyberpunk tweet was shit and fully deserved to be called out. They know this, which is why they retracted it.
And cultural appropriation is an issue that happens even if sometimes people might champion something that's not a prime example.

Hollywood's liberalness in general? Any other examples beside that one speech?

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
That's what people are +1ing ITT, though. He used that language.
Yeah that's why in my post original I said I wish he didn't use that word. Even though these days I only see people using the word to make fun of right wing people who try to claim that kids are offended by everything.

I was just saying that it's weird that he said "generation snowflake" while also saying all of the social progress that came from the age group who would be in that generation is a great thing. Social Progress that only exists because that age group was offended by something and wanted to do something about it. So he basically talked in a circle

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
His continued chumminess with MBS is MUCH MORE problematic than his vapid defense of a homophobic friend. That's why I'm stuck on that, people losing the forest for the trees pretending The Rock is just now showing his true colors :-/

he's very problematic, and been FAKE AS HELL, that's the point.

get hung up on that, not on the comparisons.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The 'war on Christmas'

now thats spicy

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Totally agree.

People these days (mostly in America) are always offended by every single thing. But it's OK. You guys are too problem-free that you need to create problems and be offended in the name of other persons.

I agree with this, but it's definitely an internet/social media issue. People with real world problems aren't perusing twitter or writing essays about inconsequential shit. They're busy working a 3rd job or dealing with their family issues or abusing prescription drugs.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
There are two different conflicting sentiments in this. You say that people who are offended are at fault but you have common sense, manners, and decency. Decency would be to try not to offend people and apologize when one does.

Being offended is a result of a perceived insult so inherently, yes it's a personal problem. What offends you as a person, or a society, or culture may not offend others. However, try not to be a dick.

Understand?

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
he's very problematic, and been FAKE AS HELL, that's the point.

get hung up on that, not on the comparisons.

He's not been fake as hell this is who he's always been! He doesn't hide it I dunno where people are confused. Dude was always a "Dirty Jobs" republican who did a lot of good things while holding problematic views.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's why in my post original I said I wish he didn't use that word. Even though these days I only see people using the word to make fun of right wing people who try to claim that kids are offended by everything.

I was just saying that it's weird that he said "generation snowflake" while also saying all of the social progress that came from the age group who would be in that generation is a great thing. Social Progress that only exists because that age group was offended by something and wanted to do something about it. So he basically talked in a circle

Ok, I understand your point about this for sure. It's definitely an ignorant statement to make in that regard, we wouldn't have any kind of social progress if "snowflakes" weren't calling for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.