• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
but seriously, am i back on neogaf? that forum was filled with these posts

sort yourself out, and grow a spine. let us hear your real views.

Its the result of a moderation team that frequently bans people for only a week at most. And you'll see the reason for ban messages "repeated homophobia. Repeated hand waving and ignoring the discussion. Numerous offenses. 1 week ban".

The consequences on era for intentionally trolling aren't that severe unfortunately

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Because we are all different and what offends me may not offend you and vice versa. I can't expect you or anyone else to know every little thing that bothers me. I'm a grown ass adult and I know how to handle myself. Words hold little weight with me. I can move on with life just fine after being offended in a moment. That being said we all should exercise some common sense on how to treat others. My point is, it's literally impossible to not offend someone eventually. We are all different and not everyone shares our same views, sense of humor etc..

Your post I quoted and the first part of this one sounded like you were going for a "I'll say whatever I want and you can be damned if you're offended" thing, until I got to that common sense part. So I'll dial back what I was originally planning to say but still I don't agree.

You walk about how its impossible because of differences yada yada, offending someone will happen eventually. But if you're really a decent person you're going to try your best NOT to do so. Not simply shrug and go well everyone is different and I'm gonna offend someone sometime.

Also your world view isn't the objective one. Just because words don't offend you etc etc, doesn't mean everyone feels the same way or should. Remember that.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Totally agree.

People these days (mostly in America) are always offended by every single thing. But it's OK. You guys are too problem-free that you need to create problems and be offended in the name of other persons.
I missed that you edited this post to add the "problem-free America" part, lmao

just doubling-down on the disingenuous shit

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Being offended is a result of a perceived insult so inherently, yes it's a personal problem. What offends you as a person, or a society, or culture may not offend others. However, try not to be a dick.

Understand?

Decency would be to apologize and not shrug one's shoulders when one does offend someone though. That was what I was getting at.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People calling for a boycott of Cyberpunk 2077 because CDPR tweeted a "Are you assuming their gender!?!?!?" 'joke'
The whole campaign against Halloween costumes
That white girl that wore the Chinese dress to prom
Cultural appropriation in general
The 'war on Christmas'
Hollywood's liberalness in general (Meryl Streep's Golden Globes speech)
Oh God this list is fucking hilarious.
I mean, there are very few reasons we can look at a person and make an overall value judgement regardless of celebrity status.

Kevin Spacey? Obviously a giant chode-face.

The Rock? He has opinions about things.
Honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm.

I'm pretty sure I can make value judgements about a person when you know, they support and defend homophobes.

Oh and uh kissing the feet of literal dictators along with his other conservative cronies. That's also a pretty garbage thing to do.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing specifically wrong with leaning right or having a bootstrap mentality, though. There is a degree of truth in overcoming obstacles yourself rather than expecting help and it's not like everything conservatives stand for is automatically wrong, either. In fact, most of the time, it's the people who represent conservative values that are the issue rather than the values themselves.

As for the snowflake thing, it's kind of a widespread issue independent of political ideology. Even in the field of comedy, lots of jokes no longer fly because people are now deciding they're offended by them. It's very difficult to draw a line between things that are actually offensive and things people are choosing to be offended by and it's very easy to get dogpiled for enjoying things the internet has decided in the last few years is no longer acceptable. Take Mel Brooks' movies - it's frowned upon to like even Young Frankenstein or Spaceballs these days because they're considered offensive and Mel Brooks himself admitted he couldn't release those movies today because they'd be considered too offensive.

And it's not just a "millenial" thing, either. Remember last year and the whole punching Nazis thing and how conservatives got super offended by it and demanded civility?

Having a bootstrap mentality really just comes off to me as not understanding how society works whether through ignorance or privilege. Not everyone is afforded the same opportunities and expecting people who are born into poor families/areas or are part of groups that are routinely discriminated against to be able to have those same opportunities as people who are already in better positions or afforded those better opportunities is missing the point. Our society is largely unequal and we can't just ignore that and tell people to just pull themselves up by their bootstraps, depend on themselves and not others, and expect them to succeed no matter what.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Agree to disagree, with that said have a nice day.

You and others like you have completely hijacked what he said and tried to skew it to some greater discussion about sjws. When The Rock wasn't trying to have one. Again feel free to start a thread on this "greater discussion" and see how that goes.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Decency would be to apologize and not shrug one's shoulders when one does offend someone though. That was what I was getting at.

Eh, normally yes, but it depends on what the offended party has taken offense too. I'm certainly not going to apologize for saying "happy holidays" for example. There are some things that people get legitimately offended over that they really shouldn't.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many of the people who have fallen for this dog whistle also believe that commercials are pointless wastes of money because they don't work.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
He's not been fake as hell this is who he's always been! He doesn't hide it I dunno where people are confused. Dude was always a "Dirty Jobs" republican who did a lot of good things while holding problematic views.

i disagree, i don't think he's ever been one to wade too deep one way or another, and will toe the line to keep his money safe. He puts on this 'such a positive guy' facade with the best of them.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Eh, normally yes, but it depends on what the offended party has taken offense too. I'm certainly not going to apologize for saying "happy holidays" for example. There are some things that people get legitimately offended over that they really shouldn't.

It would be decent to apologize even if one doesn't see it as a big deal. It's not up to me to decide what people get offended by. It's my job to practice Right Speech. Just my opinion though. I understand how others feel differently.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting and giving help should be expected. We are all in this together and need to prop each other up instead of putting each other down.No one truly does things on their own. The "bootstrap" mentality is problematic because it ignores environmental factors such as sexism and racism. It's how poor people are deemed "lazy". It's not a good look in any way.

I can't agree with Rock's myopic world view.

You shouldn't expect anything. Giving and receiving help is something that should be promoted and encouraged, if only because we are stronger and more capable together, but it's not something to demand.

Like I said, some people take it too far and refuse to help anyone but themselves - which is selfish and ultimately helps nobody - but it doesn't change that the idea of helping yourself before expecting or demanding help from others is a sensible position and totally okay to have.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
one of these things is not like the other

this kind of deep paranoia is boorish and egotistical
Deep paranoia? I've seen it happen and getting all worked up that one can't share their view from fear of a ban is childish. Maybe if that the case one should evaluate the views that would lead to this situation
You thought this was so clever you posted it twice but don't have the courage to actually call anyone out lmao
Nah, I'm on mobile and sometimes things don't work, tell you what I'll have a gander when I get onto a more stable platform and quote people and yourself ;)
Era seems to be having issues because it's not the first double post in the thread but at least you got 'em lmao
Exactly
Have you been in any of those threads lol? It's bans upon bans usually.

I can totally see why people won't air their real views here and frankly I don't think people here want a discussion regardless.

I do try to avoid threads like this except to say I agree or disagree. It's my opinion that we should always be able to have a mature conversation about any subject.

Of course some people are been dickheads but ya..
People get banned for trying to have "mature conversations" in defence of transphobia, sexism, homophobia, racism, etc

If that's an opinion you are scared of getting banned for then sort your shit out I guess. People want a discussion, they just don't want to have to educate every clown walking in

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Generally I regard conservatives as being the snowflakes who feel insulted when their racism and hypocrisy is called out.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It would be decent to apologize even if one doesn't see it as a big deal. It's not up to me to decide what people get offended by. It's my job to practice Right Speech. Just my opinion though. I understand how others feel differently.

It would be 'decent' but also encouraging, you wouldn't want to encourage someone to get needlessly offended at something they shouldn't be taken offense at. I think there are a lot of people in our generation who shouldn't be so quick to apologize, but that's just my therapy talking lol

Oct 27, 2017
When people complain about other people 'being offended about everything' reminds me of that tweet/pic that read:

-'I'M BEING DISCRIMINATED FOR MY CONSERVATIVE BELIEFS!'
-Oh God, are you being shamed for wanting less taxes?
-Uh, no, not that.
-So because you want less government regulation?
-Uhh, not that either.
-So...what beliefs?
-Oh, you know the ones...

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
The people trying to come here complain about sjw types are always funny to me. Most of the time I think of someone being easily offended the 1st thing I think of are conservatives being offended about change. Or those weird gamers who get mad about a females being in a game

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
"War on christmas" is a perfect example of conservative boomers "looking for a reason to be offended". Most of the stuff that agreeves them most about that aren't even from SJWs but capitalists that realise there's money to be made from inclusiveness by expanding the pools of customers and employees to pull from.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"War on christmas" is a perfect example of conservative boomers "looking for a reason to be offended". Most of the stuff that agreeves them most about that aren't even from SJWs but capitalists that realise there's money to be made from inclusiveness by expanding the pools of customers and employees to pull from.

Or from people just trying to live their lives to the best of their ability.

Like, how do people get offended at who someone loves for fucks sake?

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
You shouldn't expect anything. Giving and receiving help is something that should be promoted and encouraged, if only because we are stronger and more capable together, but it's not something to demand.

Like I said, some people take it too far and refuse to help anyone but themselves - which is selfish and ultimately helps nobody - but it doesn't change that the idea of helping yourself before expecting or demanding help from others is a sensible position and totally okay to have.

Expecting help and demanding are two different things. Help should be expected by society at large. That's what we should be doing, helping each other. In a large number of cases, one cannot help themselves without external help. Again, no one truly does anything on their own. It's why the bootstrap mentality doesn't actually fit with reality.

It would be 'decent' but also encouraging, you wouldn't want to encourage someone to get needlessly offended at something they shouldn't be taken offense at. I think there are a lot of people in our generation who shouldn't be so quick to apologize, but that's just my therapy talking lol

They will get offended regardless. My apology or lack thereof wouldn't change their minds.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When people complain about other people 'being offended about everything' reminds me of that tweet/pic that read:

-'I'M BEING DISCRIMINATED FOR MY CONSERVATIVE BELIEFS!'
-Oh God, are you being shamed for wanting less taxes?
-Uh, no, not that.
-So because you want less government regulation?
-Uhh, not that either.
-So...what beliefs?
-Oh, you know the ones...

That's when they say "I can't talk about it here because I'll catch a ban" or accuse you of baiting them.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Or from people just trying to live their lives to the best of their ability.

Like, how do people get offended at who someone loves for fucks sake?
Yeah I don't mean to say that's the only reason people do or should say happy holidays instead. It's just a lot of the stuff that they use as proof that it's a "war" is executive memos instructing employees to say happy holidays instead, because making a portion of their employees and customers feel left out is bad business.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Totally agree.

People these days (mostly in America) are always offended by every single thing. But it's OK. You guys are too problem-free that you need to create problems and be offended in the name of other persons.

That's much a less an issue than the real issue: people and groups asserting their rights to not be shit on, dismissed and marginalized because the average, "traditional American" is a fucking asshole mouth-breather who calls everyone a "snowflake" and spreads this disingenuous "everyone just gets offended by every single thing" bullshit so they can continue to be assholes.

Yeah, occasionally people display sensitivity that by all objective measures is over the top but that is a negligible problem.

In summation: fuck your half-assed post.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
Actual mature conversation is great, but usually when people catch bans it's for saying shit like "lmao it's just a joke, don't take it so seriously" to stuff that is pretty clearly bigoted

but seriously, am i back on neogaf? that forum was filled with these posts

sort yourself out, and grow a spine. let us hear your real views.
Deep paranoia? I've seen it happen and getting all worked up that one can't share their view from fear of a ban is childish. Maybe if that the case one should evaluate the views that would lead to this situation

Nah, I'm on mobile and sometimes things don't work, tell you what I'll have a gander when I get onto a more stable platform and quote people and yourself ;)

Exactly

People get banned for trying to have "mature conversations" in defence of transphobia, sexism, homophobia, racism, etc

If that's an opinion you are scared of getting banned for then sort your shit out I guess. People want a discussion, they just don't want to have to educate every clown walking in

Oops on the mobile so some scattered sentences here and there.

My opinion that I agree with the Rock with just the statement. Now I didn't put 2 +2 together about the Kevin Kart situation so he probably does have alternative motives here.

I'm for equility in every area however I do think some things are taken too far and conversation breaks down because people are just name calling at each other.

That's my general take. I have no specific examples in mind.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Is it that people are too easily offended, or is it that marginalized people who previously didn't have a voice are now in a position where they can no longer be ignored?

I admit younger folk can be a bit overzealous as sometimes don't approach situations with clarity or nuance, but....they're young. They don't have a ton of perspective yet.

I'd much rather have a generation of young people who are occasionally misguided in their attempts to defend people than have them just not give a fuck and have a total lack of empathy.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is it that people are too easily offended, or is it that marginalized people who previously didn't have a voice are now in a position where they can no longer be ignored?

I admit younger folk can be a bit overzealous as sometimes don't approach situations with clarity or nuance, but....they're young. They don't have a ton of perspective yet.

I'd much rather have a generation of young people who are occasionally misguided in their attempts to defend people than have them just not give a fuck and have a total lack of empathy.

I do think it can be both. Marginalized people shouldn't have their offense disregarded just because you don't have the perspective to understand it, but also twitter and facebook has made it way too easy for people to complain about everything. The venn diagram of these two groups barely intersects though and The Rock is obviously talking about what he sees as that intersection in regards to Kevin Hart.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno what to think of his quote. It seems political -- enough leeway for whoever reads it to take it they way they want. When I first saw it, I was like yeah - he's right, those conservatives always getting offended at LGBT issues and stuff ... That can drive us backwards.

But, if the intention is to support Hart, it's coming from the other side. So, I dunno. I don't know what he really meant.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)

I agree with that. I may have come off harsh because that is ultimately the reality of it. growing a thicker skin is part of life. But I didn't mean you should always shrug it off either. The last thing I want to do is hurt someone and if I do, I generally try to make it right and apologize.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I honestly wish context-less sentiments like "people get too offended these days" were bannable, because it's such a vapid and meaningless way to shit up threads and derail conversations without actually saying what you mean.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I honestly wish context-less sentiments like "people get too offended these days" were bannable, because it's such a vapid and meaningless way to shit up threads and derail conversations without actually saying what you mean.

I totally agree, especially when it's most frequenly an argument used by right wingers to complain that they are asked to use their shrivelled hearts for empathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.