• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
I dunno what to think of his quote. It seems political -- enough leeway for whoever reads it to take it they way they want. When I first saw it, I was like yeah - he's right, those conservatives always getting offended at LGBT issues and stuff ... That can drive us backwards.

But, if the intention is to support Hart, it's coming from the other side. So, I dunno. I don't know what he really meant.
That's the point I think. It's vague enough to play to as wide a group as possible. Similar to how Jordan Peterson throws enough good arguments about self-help in his meandering talks to help obfuscate his shitty conservative beliefs.

Playing both sides.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I always wonder how one manages to get offended by others being offended without becoming the very "snowflake" they like to whine about...

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I totally agree, especially when it's most frequenly an argument used by right wingers to complain that they are asked to use their shrivelled hearts for empathy.

I don't think we should be banning right wingers indiscriminately nor should be have bannable phases that are completely inoffensive in and of themselves. Let them be vague and vapid all they want it's not going to change a thing.

Oct 26, 2017
Also there are examples of what people see as outrage that is in fact manufactured to create the narrative that a subset of people or unreasonable and constantly seeking outrage.

Not to mention it was reported and widely known that Russian bots were pretending to be all party affiliations and spreading fake outrage in order sow chaos. People like to point a lot to examples on social media as examples of outrage when those are the most susceptible to bots and instigators. Then you have Cernovich weaponizing fake outrage to try and get people fired and being successful at it, and that has a dual purpose of creating outrage fatigue for when legitimate criticism arises.

Speaking of, people mistake criticism as outrage a lot, which then creates scenarios of the person responding to the criticism being much more outraged than the person presenting criticism on a subject. If I find a Christmas songs lyrics written decades ago to be creepy out of context today it doesn't mean I am upset or outraged about it, but rather it would be worth exploring the context around those lyrics at the time they were written and if that song works today. Which now I have a greater understanding of the song Baby it's Cold Outside thanks to someone raising criticism about it. So next time you see someone offering a different take or criticism of something totally "normal" from your childhood, listen to their criticism and dive into the history. At worst you will come away with a better understanding on the subject matter, and may find no one was actually outraged.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks to this along with his dick sucking of the Saudi prince, the Rock has fallen quite hard on my list of good people in showbiz.

Can I just point out the irony of you judging The Rock for his defense of Kevin Hart while also using "dick sucking" in a derogatory manner?

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I always wonder how one manages to get offended by others being offended without becoming the very "snowflake" they like to whine about...
Heh, I make this argument all the time. Whenever some right-winger complains to me about people being "always offended these days!" I agree and then start listing things like: losing their minds of people saying 'happy holidays,' red cups in Starbucks, gay people getting married, etc.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't think we should be banning right wingers indiscriminately nor should be have bannable phases that are completely inoffensive in and of themselves. Let them be vague and vapid all they want it's not going to change a thing.
I mean "lazy devs" is already a bannable phrase because, ironically, it's a lazy and unprovable argument. "People get too offended" is absolutely no different. And also ironically, it's often used by people who claim they want to be able to have "real conversations" about issues, but instead they just post the most boring-ass uncle shit ever

Oct 27, 2017
And sadly, I´m slowly realizing that a lot of people I interact with on a daily basis are bigots and actually would agree with him, its disheartening to say the least.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean "lazy devs" is already a bannable phrase because, ironically, it's a lazy and unprovable argument. "People get too offended" is absolutely no different. And also ironically, it's often used by people who claim they want to be able to have "real conversations" about issues, but instead they just post the most boring-ass uncle shit ever

Well, "lazy devs" is bannable because it's a targeted insult (as far as I know), while "people get too offended" is just a vapid opinion targeted at the ever vague "people".

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Also there are examples of what people see as outrage that is in fact manufactured to create the narrative that a subset of people or unreasonable and constantly seeking outrage.

it all makes sense now

513ZENF4EFL.jpg

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Is it that people are too easily offended, or is it that marginalized people who previously didn't have a voice are now in a position where they can no longer be ignored?

I admit younger folk can be a bit overzealous as sometimes don't approach situations with clarity or nuance, but....they're young. They don't have a ton of perspective yet.

I'd much rather have a generation of young people who are occasionally misguided in their attempts to defend people than have them just not give a fuck and have a total lack of empathy.
Exactly, I'm only 23 though. But I definitely get annoyed by people who go too far or mess up trying to defend people and create some social progress. But I understand where they're coming from and would be probably have similar views 98% of the time , even if I don't agree with their methods. Atleast they care and are trying to do something. I just want people to care about issues, if they care progress will happen.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
These people can never speak specifically to what they're talking about.
Exactly. What is he specifically talking about? Without context it amounts to "Yeah its great we have all the liberties and ideals that people faught their lives to obtain, but jesus, what's with people fighting for those liberties and ideals we have?"

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest. Trump supporters and far right conservatives are the biggest snowflakes.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Let's be honest. Trump supporters and far right conservatives are the biggest snowflakes.

I think that's who he's calling out.

I'm kinda confused here at how it could be interpreted any differently, but reading some previous comments, I guess it is.

Oh well. His opinion is fairly worthless in the political space either way. Just kinda surprised at people turning on him for saying something that they probably would agree with.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
What is your barometer for outrage culture? There is such thing as an outrage culture. But you have to specify what you mean by that statement, what your barometer for "acceptable outrage" vs "unacceptable outrage" exactly is, and in what fashion it should be addressed specifically, or else your basically condemning all forms of outrage in the public sphere under the same "silly" banner, which makes no sense.

I don't expect The Rock to be nuanced enough to address this point however.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Expecting help and demanding are two different things. Help should be expected by society at large. That's what we should be doing, helping each other. In a large number of cases, one cannot help themselves without external help. Again, no one truly does anything on their own. It's why the bootstrap mentality doesn't actually fit with reality.

Yet your reality removes all responsibility for yourself from yourself. We aren't talking about not helping other people because, in that, we agree that helping one another is something to be encouraged. We're talking about not helping yourself because it's easier to expect other people to do it for you. The issue that arises is differentiating between needing help and wanting help, between being unable to help yourself and simply choosing not to.

As a Brit I believe strongly in social welfare. Why does a government even exist if not to help the people that need help the most? Yet I do believe expecting help because you do not want to help yourself promotes a mentality of taking what you want and giving nothing back.

Folks these days just try to lean so hard one way or another, and attack anyone that doesn't do the same, that they lose sight of a balanced approach. I don't necessarily mean a moderate one, either, but you can be a progressive without denouncing all conservative values just as you can be a conservative that does not denounce all progressive values. The world isn't as black and white as people, especially some here, would like to believe.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Generation Snowflake is the wrong term, because there really isn't an age generation involved. It seems like many from all ages are easily offended, play the victim, and whine on the internet. That's where I'll place the blame. On the internet. It's provided a sounding board where everything gets amplified and dog piled.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I think that's who he's calling out.

I'm kinda confused here at how it could be interpreted any differently, but reading some previous comments, I guess it is.

Oh well. His opinion is fairly worthless in the political space either way. Just kinda surprised at people turning on him for saying something that they probably would agree with.

Half the quote in the OP is this:

"He added: "We thankfully now live in a world that has progressed over the last 30 or 40 years. People can be who they want, be with who they want, and live how they want.

"That can only be a good thing – but generation snowflake or, whatever you want to call them, are actually putting us backwards."

If he was talking about conservatives I'd imagine he'd say 'are still holding us back' instead of putting us backwards. Frankly I don't see how it can be read any other way.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I mean the first part of the statement is good and is pretty progressive. But then he busts out the "snowflake" and throws it all away lmao

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
Yeah I hate it when people want to be treated with respect.

Do I have to respect the orange moron in the White House?

In all seriousness, 'snowflake' is such a lame word to use, Dwayne, you're better than that, use better wording and examples. Don't be an ignorant. Unless you mean the word and show your ignorance.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I will say dining with MBS is turbo janked up lol. Was that before Khashoggi?

I hope he's talking about the right projecting... right?

That's how I read it at least, buttttt maybe he meant it differently...

Half the quote in the OP is this:

If he was talking about conservatives I'd imagine he'd say 'are still holding us back' instead of putting us backwards. Frankly I don't see how it can be read any other way.

And that's a good point. I can see how that becomes ambiguous or translated in a few ways now. Hmmm damn. Super vague.

Aaight, well, I give up lol. Stick to movies, Dwayne.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Generation Snowflake is the wrong term, because there really isn't an age generation involved. It seems like many from all ages are easily offended, play the victim, and whine on the internet. That's where I'll place the blame. On the internet. It's provided a sounding board where everything gets amplified and dog piled.

Social media and the internet in general has amplified something that has always existed. Yep.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
It's really interesting how most of this thread is focused on the existence of people who might be too easily offended being The Rock's point, and not that those people are the ones "putting us backwards".

Lots of people saying "he's right tho" without even acknowledging this part of his comment.

Do you folks who agree with his statement honestly think those people you claim are too easily offended are the ones putting us back?

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everybody(and I do mean everybody) is sensitive about something. Complaining about other people being sensitive about stuff is just centering yourself

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I see what he's getting at though I smh at him saying it him as a defense for Hart's nonsense. For example, I caught a ban here a week or so ago for "homophobia". Thing is I'm uh... quite gay myself. Yet somehow without a mod warning, a callout to " explain myself", or a personal pm I was suddenly banned. I was pretty floored. I think that's the kind of thing he's talking about. People so quick to fire from the hip. Granted I agree with 99.9999% of things so called " snowflakes" take offense over. Still, the world needs more nuance

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the first part of the statement is good and is pretty progressive. But then he busts out the "snowflake" and throws it all away lmao
That's how this kind of language works. Any time some right-wing shitbag says something like "I'm not racist/homophobic/transphobic, everyone should be free to be themselves" what they're really saying is "I have no problem with [minority], so long as they know their place."

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
For someone who allegedly has sites on a Presidential run, being a dickhead in Twitter May not be the best move right about now.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the people who accuse this generation of being "snowflakes" are probably the people that go into a rage because a Starbucks barista says "Happy Holidays". As evidenced by plenty of examples in this thread, irony being lost on these idiots is never not amusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.