• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the people who accuse this generation of being "snowflakes" are probably the people that go into a rage because a Starbucks barista says "Happy Holidays". As evidenced by plenty of examples in this thread, irony being lost on these idiots is never not amusing.

This is almost always the case.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I dunno. I think I just don't care anymore about public figures lashing out against people expressing offense. It's clear he's offended by certain criticisms.

Wake me up if someone is proven a bigot.

Deleted member 9207

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://i./i/pix/2017/05/26/06/40CEBC4800000578-4543988-image-a-91_1495776389006.jpg

8QPxrlQ.png

zERcPtg.png

AXdR6fz.jpg
Jesus, that's immature.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
boy howdy i wish someone would ask him to elaborate or cite a specific instance where "snowflakes looking to be offended" held society back!

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I don't think the current generation is a bunch of snowflakes, and repugnant behavior should be called out, but I do think it's weird what gets prioritized. The internet loses its shit for weeks over stupid, terrible things Kevin Hart said ten years ago, but just this week evangelical leaders tried to remove protections for LBGTQ people from federal anti-lynching laws and nobody batted a fucking eye.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Is he talking about the "snowflakes" as in liberals, or "snowflakes" as in incels and MAGAmoos?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
This is almost always the case.

It often boils down to "but the things I get upset about are valid!" Like, that's probably what Rock would tell you if you pointed out that he threw a fit over movie reviews. "But that's my life's work and people are shitting on it I have a right to overreact!" Or what some of the posters like chris1215 will tell you if you bring up that he reacted like a big ass baby over some harmless internet "trolling" while in the same breath claiming society is becoming too sensitive. "Oh but that's different because he was trolling me and that's valid!" It's what happens when people are stubborn, small minded and lack empathy.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Social media and the internet in general has amplified something that has always existed. Yep.
Before if someone on the television said something you didn't like, you would just yell at your TV, turn the TV off, or in extremely rare cases, write a sternly worded letter to the network.

Now, you can watch something someone made 15 years ago and then proceed to message and harass them directly or start hash-tag campaigns with like-minded individuals within minutes to exert power over targets. People enjoy the thrill of toppling famous people as an act of catharsis. It gives people a feeling of righteousness which is fantasy.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
I do think it can be both. Marginalized people shouldn't have their offense disregarded just because you don't have the perspective to understand it, but also twitter and facebook has made it way too easy for people to complain about everything. The venn diagram of these two groups barely intersects though and The Rock is obviously talking about what he sees as that intersection in regards to Kevin Hart.
True. I would add that I think perception plays a part too. So often fairly innocuous Twitter conversations get interpreted as "outrage" rather than just people talking or criticizing something. And how often have you seen some variation of, "People are going to be so mad about [insert thing people barely care about]?"

There's quite a few folks ready to call every complaint or voice of displeasure "outrage" as a way to make it sound irrational so it's easier to disregard.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
True. I would add that I think perception plays a part too. So often fairly innocuous Twitter conversations get interpreted as "outrage" rather than just people talking or criticizing something. And how often have you seen some variation of, "People are going to be so mad about [insert thing people barely care about]?"

There's quite a few folks ready to call every complaint or voice of displeasure "outrage" as a way to make it sound irrational so it's easier to disregard.

Definitely, I believe "outrage culture" is far more about people getting in their feelings in response to measured and valid criticism rather than the opposite.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

Here's a really good story about that that came in a thread here about that "Millennial are offended and outraged by Friends!!!" article

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
boy howdy i wish someone would ask him to elaborate or cite a specific instance where "snowflakes looking to be offended" held society back!

Ya luckily everyone was patient and quiet for decades and we were finally rewarded with legal gay marriage.

See you snowflakes? Just shut up dont rock the boat, eventually we will live in a social justice utopia

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we should be banning right wingers indiscriminately nor should be have bannable phases that are completely inoffensive in and of themselves. Let them be vague and vapid all they want it's not going to change a thing.
Coded language isn't inoffensive just because you choose to be deliberately obtuse to what that coded language means.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the term "snowflake" but we definitely live in a time period where there are more people who will get offended over the tiniest "transgressions".

But frankly it's worth it. If the progress we're trying to make as a society comes hand in hand with some people being overly sensitive then so be it.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Coded language isn't inoffensive just because you choose to be deliberately obtuse to what that coded language means.

"People are too offended these days" is completely meaningless, not coded. You can put on your detective hat and try to pry some kind of secret meaning behind it, but it really is just too vague and banal to be offensive taken in context.

cmalex23

Avenger
Oct 10, 2018
What a refreshing and well sourced take. Thank you, this clears The Rock.

This basically proves his point. Instead of just taking some randos (me) remark on the internet and shrugging it off or ignoring it, you felt compelled to reply. Possibly because you were looking to be offended, maybe because you disagree with my overly simplistic remark and are upset I didn't write a paragraph explaining my opinion. Who knows?
I read several remarks on here I don't agree with, but not enough to post a snarky or bank handed remarks. Not everything requires a pitchfork. The reality is that there are several more important thing to really get upset about other than the rock using the term snowflake and expressing his opinion. If it bothers you that much, stop supporting his work. That simple.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I suppose this is what black republicans sound like in 2019. Believing victims and stepping to their immediate defense means people are too sensitive.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not entirely sure with the ruining part, but agree with the remainder.

If you agree with the premise "too many people are offended by things they shouldn't be offended by" then the next logical stop on that train of thought is "there will be pushback against the people who are perpetually offended".

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
This basically proves his point. Instead of just taking some randos (me) remark on the internet and shrugging it off or ignoring it, you felt compelled to reply. Possibly because you were looking to be offended, maybe because you disagree with my overly simplistic remark and are upset I didn't write a paragraph explaining my opinion. Who knows?
I read several remarks on here I don't agree with, but not enough to post a snarky or bank handed remarks. Not everything requires a pitchfork. The reality is that there are several more important thing to really get upset about other than the rock using the term snowflake and expressing his opinion. If it bothers you that much, stop supporting his work. That simple.

You aren't as smart as you believe. You offered nothing in your post, and I made a joke post about it. There is no outrage. You expect to shit out an opinion on a message board and for nothing to be said about it? Tough luck, grow some tougher skin, because there are things more worth being upset over than me expressing my opinion.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You seem pretty offended. Were you just looking for something a reason to be offended?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
"People are too offended these days" is completely meaningless, not coded. You can put on your detective hat and try to pry some kind of secret meaning behind it, but it really is just too vague and banal to be offensive taken in context.

I'm shocked this is your take, shocked.

"People are too offended today" is absolutely coded language, and it means "people not satisfied with the status quo need to keep their opinions to themselves" which is absolutely harmful to our society. This isnt the 80s where concerned mothers dont want their children seeing boobs on TV, this is 2019 where people are sick of human rights violations and fascistic, nationalistic, and racist policy coming straight from the White House.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just caught up with this thread, lots of idiots showing their asses here.

Turns out the dog whistle worked. No doubt he's at least in part referring to situations like excusing homophobia (Kevin Hart).

You can tell by the 95% of posters coming in hot with a "he's right" and immediately bailing with zero elaboration, blowing the same whistle.

Cowards.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm shocked this is your take, shocked.

"People are too offended today" is absolutely coded language, and it means "people not satisfied with the status quo need to keep their opinions to themselves" which is absolutely harmful to our society. This isnt the 80s where concerned mothers dont want their children seeing boobs on TV, this is 2019 where people are sick of human rights violations and fascistic, nationalistic, and racist policy coming straight from the White House.

In what way is it "harmful to our society" for a poster on a video game forum to say "people are too offended today"?

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
But people like The Rock. He doesn't have to pander to the anti-PC shitheads like all the disgraced celebrities and rapists who are doing it. /shrug

cmalex23

Avenger
Oct 10, 2018
You aren't as smart as you believe. You offered nothing in your post, and I made a joke post about it. There is no outrage. You expect to shit out an opinion on a message board and for nothing to be said about it? Tough luck, grow some tougher skin, because there are things more worth being upset over than me expressing my opinion.

I agree with you pretty much on everything.
You seem pretty offended. Were you just looking for something a reason to be offended?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Maybe, it is Friday after all.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
And hey, whaddya know. The two posters who elaborated defended transphobia and sexual harassment, one of which got hit with a ban, lol.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
He's right though. I do think snowflake is the wrong term, but there are plenty of people looking to be offended over the smallest of things, and it's terrible.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He's right though. I do think snowflake is the wrong term, but there are plenty of people looking to be offended over the smallest of things, and it's terrible.

Nah, people have constantly been opinionated about specific things that affect them, while there are a ton of grifters peddling offense as curative pathos they aren't so numerous as to be more than an annoyance...

Status
Not open for further replies.