• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It often boils down to "but the things I get upset about are valid!" Like, that's probably what Rock would tell you if you pointed out that he threw a fit over movie reviews. "But that's my life's work and people are shitting on it I have a right to overreact!" Or what some of the posters like chris1215 will tell you if you bring up that he reacted like a big ass baby over some harmless internet "trolling" while in the same breath claiming society is becoming too sensitive. "Oh but that's different because he was trolling me and that's valid!" It's what happens when people are stubborn, small minded and lack empathy.

Precisely. Well articulate.
I don't like the term "snowflake" but we definitely live in a time period where there are more people who will get offended over the tiniest "transgressions".

But frankly it's worth it. If the progress we're trying to make as a society comes hand in hand with some people being overly sensitive then so be it.
We don't, it's always been this way, the internet has just amplified it.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
He's right though. I do think snowflake is the wrong term, but there are plenty of people looking to be offended over the smallest of things, and it's terrible.

There are people actively harming the world, and they certainly aren't the people on Twitter who definitely exist and got offended at Santa's gender.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
There are people actively harming the world, and they certainly aren't the people on Twitter who definitely exist and got offended at Santa's gender.
i was in a hipster coffee shop over christmas break and it was just filled with dead-eyed 20-somethings chanting "SANTA IS A WOMAN," I promise this actually happened

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
It can be true that our generation has questioned the casually regressive attitude towards minorities and the general immorality that is common similar to how the children of the baby boomer/World War generation questioned the treatment of minorities that lead to an improvement in civil rights and more equality. However, it can also be true that there are countless instances of overreactions and overthinking things to the point where I don't believe it's an untrue statement that we live in an outrage culture, and that a lot of people seem to look for things to be offended by.

It's frustrating. On the one hand it's necessary to progress our society. On the other hand it helps emphasize the divisive culture we live and it's just not pleasant. Even in progressive circles in can create a hostile climate.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
lmao just today on Twitter I saw people freaking out about that TRIGGERED SNOWFLAKE ON CAMPUS video from like 2015 and every Youtube video about the snowflake generation uses the same picture of a woman with dyed red hair and rimmed glasses. There's like ten examples that are trotted out again and again, if even that. The snowflake generation is a serious widespread issue ok

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
the latter would be who i'm referring to. NOT the people who are upset with others actively harming the world.

Just because I agree with what he said to an extent doesn't mean I share his opinion on everything.

Oct 26, 2017
"People are so sensitive because i said hateful thing" sits alongside with "i have the right to say hateful thing" as straws shit people reach for to justify being shit.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Nah, people have constantly been opinionated about specific things that affect them, while there are a ton of grifters peddling offense as curative pathos they aren't so numerous as to be more than an annoyance...
Can you offer an example of one of these "small" things that someone got offended over and shouldn't have?
Nice to know that people don't jump to conclusions at all here.

I'm saying that the people who are easily offended are the ones that get upset at things like people wanting preferred gender pronouns, or people that get mad when you say happy holidays instead of merry Christmas. Stuff that shouldn't be an issue.

I have an idea of what you all assumed I meant, but keep the pitchforks at bay now.

Edit: just because I agree to a degree about what he's saying doesn't mean I share the same viewpoints.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
the latter would be who i'm referring to. NOT the people who are upset with others actively harming the world.

Just because I agree with what he said to an extent doesn't mean I share his opinion on everything.

But the only reason why we see these people as an issue is because of sensationalist headlines blowing it up. Nobody thinks Santa should be gender neutral, but boomer news articles blew it up and acted like it was this widespread movement. One radio station called out Baby It's Cold Outside for having rapey lyrics and the same thing happens.

It's incredibly easy to just invent drama. Like someone could go on Twitter right now and make up some bullshit about Millennials finding Dumb and Dumber offensive for having an ablest slur in the title, and a bunch of people would queue up to dunk on the special snowflakes without actually fact checking if anyone actually said that.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'm saying that the people who are easily offended are the ones that get upset at things like people wanting preferred gender pronouns, or people that get mad when you say happy holidays instead of merry Christmas. Stuff that shouldn't be an issue.

I have an idea of what you all assumed I meant, but keep the pitchforks at bay now.

Edit: just because I agree to a degree about what he's saying doesn't mean I share the same viewpoints.

I pitchfork is gathering dust, I simply disagree with the basic premise you've outlined.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

OK. Do you think conservative fucking Dwayne Johnson is talking about people complaining about the use of gender pronouns?

Asking for you to explain a vague agreement post isn't using a pitchfork, calm down.

Last edited:

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Our generation is having a social awakening, quit your bitching DOOWAYNE. If you don't like it just keep voting Republican like you've already been doing for the past two decades. They are big on regression just like you, perfect harmony!

There are people out there that are overly sensitive, sure. But that's hardly a fucking pressing issue compared to our country that's actively on fire.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you offer an example of one of these "small" things that someone got offended over and shouldn't have?

The Big Sick, a true story about an interracial relationship, received criticism for not having a south asian woman as the love interest.

Chris Pratt being openly religious was also too offensive for some

Japanese dogs speaking English in a movie

or Michelle Obama enjoying GWB's company when they're forced to sit together

Even this forum couldn't get behind being offended by a white model wearing a Wakanda shirt

On the right there are endless examples. Starbucks changing the color of their cups, Trump being called a motherfucker, Obama bowing or giving shitty gifts to the queen or wearing a tan suit etc. etc. They couldn't even handle Warren reading a letter on the Senate floor

It's entirely disingenuous to pretend that all outrage is based on legitimate serious issues like trans rights and that is the only possible thing people could be sick of

JackRandom

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly, I know the term has been around for a long time, but the groups that have co-opted it mean that it carries so much baggage, and this is a terrible look for him.
you're not wrong, but man, it frustrates me to no end that a term can be "co-opted" to a point where it cannot be used without their taint.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Dwayne has always come across as insincere to me. I'm not really surprised the only time he's really made any comment on social issues outside of vague "let's come together" platitudes is after his buddy caught some shit. #GetLitty

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
The Big Sick, a true story about an interracial relationship, received criticism for not having a south asian woman as the love interest.

Chris Pratt being openly religious was also too offensive for some

Japanese dogs speaking English in a movie

or Michelle Obama enjoying GWB's company when they're forced to sit together

Even this forum couldn't get behind being offended by a white model wearing a Wakanda shirt

On the right there are endless examples. Starbucks changing the color of their cups, Trump being called a motherfucker, Obama bowing or giving shitty gifts to the queen or wearing a tan suit etc. etc. They couldn't even handle Warren reading a letter on the Senate floor

It's entirely disingenuous to pretend that all outrage is based on legitimate serious issues like trans rights and that is the only possible thing people could be sick of

People have always been this way, though. I think it's amplified because of the internet and social media, and because it becomes a self-fulfilling outrage prophecy.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I wasn't doing that, I was asking for that single poster about some examples they would cite, as I have done with several other posters in the thread. Everyone has a line for what they think is "being offended over nothing" (which is a garbage meaningless phrase, but let's just use it as shorthand) and I am trying to establish the goal posts that some people have, which is necessary when they're being vague.

Thank you for being one of the only people in the whole thread to actually provide examples.

I don't really agree that all of those things you shared are good examples of "outrage culture," but that's a whole different topic that could be discussed at length and it would probably get glossed over in this thread.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Yet your reality removes all responsibility for yourself from yourself. We aren't talking about not helping other people because, in that, we agree that helping one another is something to be encouraged. We're talking about not helping yourself because it's easier to expect other people to do it for you. The issue that arises is differentiating between needing help and wanting help, between being unable to help yourself and simply choosing not to.

As a Brit I believe strongly in social welfare. Why does a government even exist if not to help the people that need help the most? Yet I do believe expecting help because you do not want to help yourself promotes a mentality of taking what you want and giving nothing back.

Folks these days just try to lean so hard one way or another, and attack anyone that doesn't do the same, that they lose sight of a balanced approach. I don't necessarily mean a moderate one, either, but you can be a progressive without denouncing all conservative values just as you can be a conservative that does not denounce all progressive values. The world isn't as black and white as people, especially some here, would like to believe.

"My" reality doesn't do that at all. I've never said that one isn't responsible for their own actions or accountability. I simply said that help is expected. It doesn't matter which is easier. For instance, if I'm passing a class with a C but want help getting an A, I go to tutoring. The tutors don't do the work for me in class. They help me. It's still my responsibility to do the work in class and study. Everyone everywhere has been helped by others. No one does anything solely on their own.

Except the "bootstrap" mentality is championed by people who don't give back because "I did the hard work, you should have to as well." It's a toxic mentality. The same people want to take away social programs from people.

I think, in this case, it is black and white. I should help anyone who needs or wants it as long as I'm not doing something to hurt others. It's both my moral and religious imperative.

The Rock is defending his friend, I get it. The criticism towards Kevin Hart is justified, however.

whitehawk

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There are people who take it too far, I've seen it. Those people don't have a very large voice though, and usually the masses will decide if it's worth caring about or not. As a whole, we're getting better. Don't let the minority who take it too far speak for everyone else.

Also yes, this sounds like a response to his buddy K Hart who handled his scandal horribly. Could have just apologized right away, but his toxic masculinity forbids him for connecting with the LGBT community.

whitehawk

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm the same age as DTRJ, so I kind of understand where he's coming from. To me, it seems like we have allies attacking each other, while the real bad guys, who are very careful with the words they use, get off Scott-free. I also think a lot of folk don't consider intent when they get angry, only verbiage. But like I said, I'm an old.
This as well.

I posted something about AOC, and said "I. Love. This. Girl."

My super liberal friend responded with "she's a women SMH"

Like my dude. My using girl/woman is not the biggest fish to fry. Also since I've come out as queer, I find myself using 'girl' for a lot of people lol.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Is anyone actually interested in defining what they mean decrying so many people getting offended?

Like when I point out to someone what they said is fucked up, inappropriate, out of touch - I'm not offended, I'm calling you out.

I would get offended if someone called me ugly or something like that

Pointing out inequality, ignorance, and terrible views isn't being offended

I genuinely dislike even reading or typing the word so often as it doesn't really fit the situation

This. Calling it "being offended" is not representative of what and how people are responding. It's calling out people for doing or saying things they should not.

I have a question: if one Mexican is okay and another is not, what happens next?

Which is the 'right' opinion?

It's an issue that goes beyond right or wrong. Read the woman's article. She wrote quite clearly as to why having stereotyping depictions of her culture achieves nothing and is tokenism at "representation", that if games are really interested in having a particular culture be in them, they need to do more. Maybe some Mexicans might think she's over reacting, maybe some would agree with her. It's not simply because she's "offended" that she's reacting this way.

Most of the time, those who say that people are overreacting or acting offensive don't want to think deeper about the issues that others have raised. They don't want to have take time to listen to voices that are different from their their own. Sure we have people who over react sometimes but in general don't be dismissive and don't come in and say that someone is acting offended when they aren't even prepared to just listen.

I'm all for sound conversation being initiated & discussed but the current climate is impossible but with all the 'fuck that!' 'screw this!! 'outrageous' noisy name calling overriding everything else. It will take real dedication to filter out the noise to get to the real meat.

and then a new day with a new warzone happens and the yesterday's news became well... yesterday's news and the noise moves on to the next thing and rinse repeat....

the current 'issue' being 'discussed' in this thread...what is really being discussed? Are we really seeing any sound objective discussion with proposed resolution or are we just seeing people wanting to see some heads on a stake?

you tell me.

A good example of talking about issues is that very article on Mario. When I first saw the headline I thought it wasn't a big deal. I also never thought that about Mario and the use of the costume being a problem. After reading the article it made me think deeper about why Nintendo's representation can have a negative effect even if they don't intend it to be. It also reminded me that this also happens to many non mainstream cultures and groups of people.

If it can affect the way I think I'm sure the article reached out to many as well. That's something and we need more of these articles.

Last edited:

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
If we recognize that the internet makes it easier to spread a message or ideology we shoulld accept that it's not the same as in the past.

Grannies in churches have been moralizing and sowing outrage since before the internet. Same with college students on campuses. The internet just amplifies the reach. We just get outraged over different things now. Sure, the means of spreading the outrage and the news of the outrage is not the same, and it does reach more people, but to act as if people are suddenly too sensitive is weird to me. There have always been people who are deemed too sensitive by segments of the population.

Anyway, maybe I'm digging my own grave here, but I don't think so?

Aug 14, 2018
This idiot grew up in a time when adults launched campaign after campaign to ban/censor media they viewed as blasphemous or raunchy and he thinks the "snowflake generation" is a new development

And he again lives in a time when adults launch campaign after campaign to ban/censor media they view as offensive or raunchy. He kind of has a point, don't you think?

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm the same age as DTRJ, so I kind of understand where he's coming from. To me, it seems like we have allies attacking each other, while the real bad guys, who are very careful with the words they use, get off Scott-free. I also think a lot of folk don't consider intent when they get angry, only verbiage. But like I said, I'm an old.

I can understand from THIS viewpoint, not from The Rock's though.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
People jump to "put down the pitchforks" even when it's just someone commenting on what they did or said. It's pretty fragile.

"You're kind of being an asshole."

"OMG TRIGGERED MUCH?? Gosh everyone is so serious all of the time it's just a joke don't be so offended geez you can't say anything anymore etc."

Every. Fucking. Time.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
anytime someone uses a variation of the phrase "everyone is offended nowadays", i just want to ask them, "so you've honestly never been offended by anything?"

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Sooo are y'all in here saying that people are too easily offended gonna speak up in the next thread we have about a big gaming studio releasing a mobile title, or does that not count because reasons?

Most of the time, those who say that people are overreacting or acting offensive don't want to think deeper about the issues that others have raised. They don't want to have take time to listen to voices that are different from their their own. Sure we have people who over react sometimes but in general don't be dismissive and don't come in and say that someone is acting offended when they aren't even prepared to just listen.
Was just about to type something like this in response to another post. Like, yeah sometimes someone might overreact at something you did with no ill intent. But it's also important to consider where they're coming from, because we all have blind spots and might not see where we could be reinforcing negative or harmful shit without realizing it. I noticed that in my own life, when I stopped dismissing these concerns and started sincerely listening and empathizing, communicating with folks became much more constructive. Even if we might not fully agree. And it did a lot to make me realize the toxic elements of my own behaviour and become a better person.

Jumping to "outrage culture" really does nothing but say "your point isn't even worth stating", which really just reinforces the status quo. It's not much different than family members who act like dicks and go "WELL THAT'S JUST THE WAY I AM, YOU CHANGE TO TOLERATE ME CAUSE I SURE AS HELL AIN'T GONNA".

Jun 7, 2018
It won't be long now until 4chan starts inspiring people to be offended about shit. People are so far gone at this point those fucking rabble rousers will certainly spread like a disease.

Let that sink in.

Status
Not open for further replies.