• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the Rock is particularly wrong, but I also think he went on to frame his thought in the incorrect manner.

Social Media has made being offended a sport, that is for sure. The problem isn't people being offended, people have been getting offended since the beginning of time. What the problem is that everyone who is offended expects their specific instance of offense to catered to and dealt with swiftly, and if not they raise even more hell.

Please note that I'm talking about things that are benign and not worth taking offense to. One example off the top of my head was the lady who was offended for all of Hawaiian's because of the Hulu dancer in her Uber drivers vehicle. There are obviously things that ARE offensive and should be dealt with accordingly.

I hope this makes sense.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What do you want her to say? Despite his politics he probably is nice in person.
Oh so apart from using fake evidence and causing the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent people and destabilising an entire region, he is a nice man.

Sorry for asking that he be held accountable and that supposed progressive political leaders don't just ignore this and help rehabilitate his image by praising him and acting in a friendly and jovial fashion whenever in public.

How fucking dare I....

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh so apart from using fake evidence and causing the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent people and destabilising an entire region, he is a nice man.

Sorry for asking that he be held accountable and that supposed progressive political leaders don't just ignore this and help rehabilitate his image by praising him and acting in a friendly and jovial fashion whenever in public.

How fucking dare I....

You seem... pretty... offended.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
My question from earlier still hasn't been addressed:

Are y'all saying "he's right" taking his quote in context - he specifically says that people looking for something to be offended by are the ones pulling us backwards - or are you ignoring that part?

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
So it's not a generational problem, nor is it a recent phenomenon. Lol

Exactly.

The idea that somehow college campuses and people on social media invented outrage comes from a very specific corner of the right wing media landscape. Same corner that lose their shit when 2 men kiss live on TV, or when Trans women want to use their bathrooms.

Outrage culture is the people who monetize outrage, and signal boost dumb or isolated takes to make strawmen attacks on progressives.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Exactly.

The idea that somehow college campuses and people on social media invented outrage comes from a very specific corner of the right wing media landscape. Same corner that lose their shit when 2 men kiss live on TV, or when Trans women want to use their bathrooms.

Outrage culture is the people who monetize outrage, and signal boost dumb or isolated takes to make strawmen attacks on progressives.

There are certainly people who do the exact same to make strawman attacks on conservatives. Outrage knows no ideological purity.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
The way you worded this is.... suspect. Why didnt you just say, who didnt vote
Hes also never been a confirmed Republican. People assumed he was because he showed up at the RNC a couple decades ago, but Vince was sending wrestlers to both the RNC and DNC, Rock included.

In all recent interviews, hes confirmed he's an independent voter.

BIGLukas

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Was only a matter of time before he came out with something like this, it's not really surprising at all to me. Go stand over there with Kevin Hart.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Conservatism is based on outrage directed toward the unrelenting march of progress.

Pretty dumb "whatabout" argument right there.

Your first sentence is irrelevant to the reality of outrage peddling. Conservatism is ripe for exploitation in that regard, but that does not mean the left is free from being caught up in a "controversy" that is literally like, 15 tweets.

It's not whataboutism, I'm describing the reality of outrage culture.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the term "snowflake" but we definitely live in a time period where there are more people who will get offended over the tiniest "transgressions".

But frankly it's worth it. If the progress we're trying to make as a society comes hand in hand with some people being overly sensitive then so be it.
Unlike say in the early 20th century where white people would get offended and they'd either lynch children or burn down and murder entire neighbourhoods. Do you know what people did when the US government removed segregation in schools? Are you sure there are more people that easily get offended now? The difference I see is that these so called snowflakes don't appear to have the same body count as previous generations when things offended them.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hey now, I never said you were a snowflake
No, you just made a sarcastic post about how I seem offended, which considering the topic of this thread it's obvious it's in reference to being a snowflake.

I was worried about being warned for insulting you but considering it's clear you aren't arguing in good faith I don't regret it.

Anyway I'm out.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, you just made a sarcastic post about how I seem offended, which considering the topic of this thread it's obvious it's in reference to being a snowflake.

I was worried about being warned for insulting you but considering it's clear you aren't arguing in good faith I don't regret it.

Anyway I'm out.

Why do people always accuse me of not arguing in good faith?

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Your first sentence is irrelevant to the reality of outrage peddling. Conservatism is ripe for exploitation in that regard, but that does not mean the left is free from being caught up in a "controversy" that is literally like, 15 tweets.

It's not whataboutism, I'm describing the reality of outrage culture.
Outrage culture doesn't exist

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Notice how people who make these comments never give examples of things people are supposedly outraged over that they have no right to be outraged over?

jumpsnax

Alt account
Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Can you imagine what the world would be like if we can all read each other's thought and we can even look up people's thought history.

Oh my...

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't take me by surprise on bit. The Rock always exposed some sort of conservative "bootstrap" mentality so him genuinely thinking that the Snowflake Generation(tm) is looking for ways to be offended is par for the course. Also rightwingers always have those talking points dialed up so

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Hes also never been a confirmed Republican. People assumed he was because he showed up at the RNC a couple decades ago, but Vince was sending wrestlers to both the RNC and DNC, Rock included.

In all recent interviews, hes confirmed he's an independent voter.
You act like being an independent voter is some noble thing. Many of these people are Republican in all but name, and are just too ashamed to label themselves as such. A guy like the Rock, who says and does the things he does sitting out the 2016 election, tells me all I need to know about his political beliefs. Not voting for Hillary was out of ideology, not voting for Trump was out of self interest in his bottom line and brand.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I feel like the "outrage" and "SJW" culture thing is made up hogwash by the Republicans. Like all of those YouTube videos about SJWs getting mad about shit is stuff you'd never actually see in real life. It's all staged crap. Maybe I'm a loon for believing this but I really feel like the left being associated with this behaviour is overblown.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
It can be true that our generation has questioned the casually regressive attitude towards minorities and the general immorality that is common similar to how the children of the baby boomer/World War generation questioned the treatment of minorities that lead to an improvement in civil rights and more equality. However, it can also be true that there are countless instances of overreactions and overthinking things to the point where I don't believe it's an untrue statement that we live in an outrage culture, and that a lot of people seem to look for things to be offended by.

It's frustrating. On the one hand it's necessary to progress our society. On the other hand it helps emphasize the divisive culture we live and it's just not pleasant. Even in progressive circles in can create a hostile climate.

There is a lot to be outraged about. We still have a lot of catching up to do.
Our generation is having a social awakening, quit your bitching DOOWAYNE. If you don't like it just keep voting Republican like you've already been doing for the past two decades. They are big on regression just like you, perfect harmony!

There are people out there that are overly sensitive, sure. But that's hardly a fucking pressing issue compared to our country that's actively on fire.

Crazy isn't it? Its like people with progressive ideas are only shouted down when things like Trump and Brexit are on the table, only because it is a convenient distraction for the hard right supporters to GTFO when it comes to actually talking through their shitty reasons for supporting these agendas.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
To be honest I feel like the "outrage" and "SJW" culture thing is made up hogwash by the Republicans. Like all of those YouTube videos about SJWs getting mad about shit is stuff you'd never actually see in real life. It's all staged crap. Maybe I'm a loon for believing this but I really feel like the left being associated with this behaviour is overblown.
You are not wrong. Yes, there are probably a few real people out there who actually think it's offensive to say "gingerbread man" instead of "gingerbread person" but when Republicans act like it's literally every progressive person that believes that, we let ourselves be sucked into the madness time and time again. They are controlling the narrative and we are giving them attention every single time they do it and we're killing ourselves. But the problem isn't the people who are working to try to be more caring and empathetic, it's the other side who looks at that empathy and laughs and says shit like "snowflake generation!"

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
the rock is going to lay the smackdown on all social justice warrior jabronis

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's propaganda. The Koch brothers essentially astro-turfing these college campus stories tells you everything you need to know.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Put this against what Terry Crews said and he only looks worse.

People have felt more empowered to speak up on the bullshit they've had to remain silent on for years, and now they're the ones who are offended because the status quo is being called into question.
These are my thoughts on the matter.

These old school fucks are getting mad because people are actually speaking up and demanding respect from their fellow humans.

The Rock is 100% wrong here.
Anyone here agreeing with him want to give some examples?
They won't. Classic drive by posts.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
Except people aren't wholly allowed to be themselves yet, and are in constant danger of having their rights to be themselves or their personhood taken away

Shut up, Dwayne

Lots of ppl showing their ass in this thread as well, smh

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Could you point to anything in particular that you would legitimately consider "outrage" in this thread, or are you suggesting that responding to his comments in any negative manner is "outrage"?

Everything is outrage, except me when I'm owning libtards with LOGIC and SCIENCE. Please like and subscribe.

Osan912

Avenger
Sep 22, 2018
Vin stays winning. What a candy ass response. You know homie wanted to tweet out unrepentant support for Hart but his publicist would've murdered him if he had.

Status
Not open for further replies.