• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Vin stays winning. What a candy ass response. You know homie wanted to tweet out unrepentant support for Hart but his publicist would've murdered him if he had.
Yup. People feigning concern over cherry picked complaints online are showing their ass too

Dog whistle got people tripping over themselves to applaud this trash.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't expect the Rock to speak out against Kevin Hart, they're like best friends.

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
This as well.

I posted something about AOC, and said "I. Love. This. Girl."

My super liberal friend responded with "she's a women SMH"

Like my dude. My using girl/woman is not the biggest fish to fry. Also since I've come out as queer, I find myself using 'girl' for a lot of people lol.
I said female ones in a era thread and some dude came at me talking about using the word female will catch me heat even though I meant no harm.

Which brings me to my point people look for stuff to just get mad or complains about or just looking deeper than it actually is.

I'm not saying everyone does this or trying dismiss important issue but most people on social media just looking to be outrage over some issue that isn't serious. Which takes away from bigger issue that actually needs to discuss

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
The Rock sucks. He's a bad actor, he has bad politics, and he's just generally full of shit. I wish people would quit lionizing these entertainers.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I said female ones in a era thread and some dude came at me talking about using the word female will catch me heat even though I meant no harm.

Which brings me to my point people look for stuff to just get mad or complains about or just looking deeper than it actually is.

There was a whole thread about why many people do find it problematic. It was also filled with people who complained about others looking to be outraged and looking too deep into things.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I never liked "The Rock" and this only confirms why. Typical Republican douchebag masquerading as an independent. "Snowflake" is a straight up dog whistle at this point.

I hope his Presidential ambitions come to nothing.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I always hate when people gloss over outraged with snowflake shit. Yeah, sometimes there are people who look to get outraged, but most of the time it's warranted, like with Louis CK.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not saying everyone does this or trying dismiss important issue but most people on social media just looking to be outrage over some issue that isn't serious. Which takes away from bigger issue that actually needs to discuss

Pointing out that the term female has and continues to be used as a dehumanizing term and that maybe you should watch what context you use it in isn't outage though. It's just pointing out that there's better language to use that doesn't mirror some shit incels say.

I posted a track on Facebook last week and my mom said it "sounded oriental." I ain't gonna go on some tirade about how that's racist, but I sure as hell let her know that it's a term she shouldn't be using.

The "outrage" people hear when they get called out on stuff like this is perceived, because being corrected on stuff like this is triggering on it's own. People don't like hearing what they said is insensitive, or could be construed as insensitive, so instead they naturally bite back. "Don't be so outraged" really means "I'm feeling sensitive about being called out on something I did or said," at least most of the time.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
That's what it's always boiled down to. Caring about something another person doesn't is hysterical outrage.

There is a loud group of people who think that caring about something makes you weak or less than them. Not caring about anything is seen as cool and logical.

Stoicism is cool when you're a moody, edgy teen. Too many people don't grow up from that point.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS

Kevin Hart said some homophobic shit long ago, has never apologized for it (despite his insistence he did), and you wanted to dismiss those who had a problem with this.

"He should host the Oscars and mad people can stay mad".

Get the fuck out of here with this.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia

Here's the thing about the term "female": culturally, in English speaking countries at least, the word is used in a dehumanizing manner. There have been threads about this on Era with multiple examples of people within communities (communities that are directly causing the major issues that we need to tackle) referring to men as men but women as females in a context that is clearly treating women as not worthy of being consider individual persons.

That's not "looking for something to get mad about". That's pointing out that you're using terminology that is regularly used to marginalize a group of people.

I can understand that there are some who might see someone use the word and immediately assume that person is one of the folks in the communities I mentioned. That does happen on occasion. But it's also important to understand that your intentions are only half of the equation. You can do something with the best of intentions but it can still hurt people due to experiences others have had that you have not. If that weren't the case then helicopter parents and tiger moms wouldn't be considered a problem.

And especially on a site like this where we're mostly strangers to each other, where a lot of people here have already been dehumanized by the use of that specific term in their daily lives, people aren't going to know your intentions. It's the respectful thing to do (and also a good habit to not allow your language to influence your thoughts) to avoid using the term. When the response is simply "Well you're just overreacting" with no indication that there was any consideration of the other person's feelings or lived experiences (as is often the case), especially after we've had at least one thread here discussing all of this that is regularly linked, how do you expect people to respond?

Last edited:

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There is a loud group of people who think that caring about something makes you weak or less than them. Not caring about anything is seen as cool and logical.

Stoicism is cool when you're a moody, edgy teen. Too many people don't grow up from that point.
I think it's more to do with the fact that people attach a moral imperative to caring about something, and surmise that not caring is the equivalent of being a bad person. Rather than work through why such a self-imposed dichotomy is unnecessary, or actually consider the position of the person caring, it's easier to shut down in one's little bubble by characterizing the mere act of caring as wrong.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

Yep. This mentality infects a lot of millenials who grew up on South Park.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Well to be fair not to long ago we did have that franklin from the peanuts outrage which is laughable if people bothered to know about Franklin creation. There are stupid outrages out there sometime and they don't always come from the right.
And do you think Dwayne Johnson is referring to Franklin when he's talking about the "snowflake generation", in the middle of the Hart controversy?

JudgeN

Oct 25, 2017
And do you think Dwayne Johnson is referring to Franklin when he's talking about the "snowflake generation", in the middle of the Hart controversy?

Dunno i'm not the Dwayne Johnson, but to me "snowflake generation" would include them with those on the right that complain about human rights issues.

Just feel like all I see outrage now a days, most valid some no so much.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
bc08c33145e54d6e9b3347517669a282_d7b2c204ff5c424b959d48e784bd1132_1_www_marquee_standard.jpeg

The Rock should go fuck himself. He always was a shitty person.

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
Kevin Hart said some homophobic shit long ago, has never apologized for it (despite his insistence he did), and you wanted to dismiss those who had a problem with this.

That's my whole point you can stay mad about him not apologizing, if your not satisfied with his apology that's on you. I wasn't demising shit, i was basing my comment on his Instagram post he apologize on and his word that he said he already address the issue before and moved on.

I brought up how Ellen accepted his apology and moved on and the people who didn't accept it can stay mad or do w.e they want to do. In no way I said stop talking about the issue. You saying I was trying to demises it gtfo with that shit and stop saying shit I didn't say.

As for those addressing the female comment I understand why it could be offensive as I stated in my comments. I was just pointing it out how when I used it someone came at me as if I meant to offend anyone. I quickly did my own research and even changed the word from female to women to not cause any issue after understanding how it could be offensive.

Instead of the poster pointing out why I shouldn't use female in that context, like some of you are explaining to me, he basically came at me trying to start something when it wasn't that serious, as one poster said in the thread.

Last edited:

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
bc08c33145e54d6e9b3347517669a282_d7b2c204ff5c424b959d48e784bd1132_1_www_marquee_standard.jpeg

The Rock should go fuck himself. He always was a shitty person.

Was this before or after the journalist murdering?

Because a lot of people were on the "look how progressive he is!" train up until then.

i was basing my comment on his Instagram post he apologize on and his word that he said he already address the issue before and moved on.

Except he didn't actually fucking apologize in that instagram. That's the whole fucking point. He refused to apologize at first, kept trying to argue he's apologized before (which no one can actually find), and then immediately started playing the victim game with an insincere "I'm sorry if you were offended" stance that really shows he didn't actually grow and learn shit from this.

And despite people being rightfully mad about this, you post:

Good post I agree, I hope he host and people who are still pissed can stay mad if they can't accept his apologize. He said what he said, his grown and learned from it, he apologize if people can't accept and move on like some did (Ellen) oh fucking well

"oh fucking well"

So yes, you are 100% trying to downplay and dismiss why people are angry at him. So to turn around and complain about outrage culture comes across incredibly disingenuous.

Last edited:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Dunno i'm not the Dwayne Johnson, but to me "snowflake generation" would include them with those on the right that complain about human rights issues.

Just feel like all I see outrage now a days, most valid some no so much.
The point is.. he needs to define what it is he's taking issue with specifically instead of throwing out suspect buzzwords like "snowflake", especially to describe an entire generation.

Otherwise it comes across as a dog whistle, especially in regard to the context of Hart's recent statements, who he's apparently very close to/friends with.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I'd like to stake out the claim that "The Rock" being kind of a political dunce, while unfortunate, does not matter much, in the grand scheme. He's not developing public policy, his job is to eat 10,000 calories of pancakes and be a big giant meathead for our amusement.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm the same age as DTRJ, so I kind of understand where he's coming from. To me, it seems like we have allies attacking each other, while the real bad guys, who are very careful with the words they use, get off Scott-free. I also think a lot of folk don't consider intent when they get angry, only verbiage. But like I said, I'm an old.
I get where you're coming from, but it's annoying growing up with people who use those bad guys as an excuse to never address the bad things they do.

It's weird to watch people be so against msygony and then turn and make a gay joke.

Or white kids in college explaining to me why it's not racist when they use the n word.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
That Kevin hart pic of Dwyane holding him like a baby is hilarious. And perfect for this thread.

His new show looks like crap. Vin diesel stays winning in my book.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to stake out the claim that "The Rock" being kind of a political dunce, while unfortunate, does not matter much, in the grand scheme. He's not developing public policy, his job is to eat 10,000 calories of pancakes and be a big giant meathead for our amusement.
Like hart, he's an influencer.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Someone as popular and famous as The Rock giving legitimacy to the "snowflake" bullshit has a bigger impact than you think.

Swab

Oct 25, 2017
There are literally people dying in the streets because of Nazis but we shouldn't be outraged about that or about how POC/Women/LGBTQIA+ are treated?

FOH Dwayne

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I think he is right, but only to a point. There are definitely people out there who actively looking for a for reasons to be offended and upset and sometimes it ends with them making a mountain out of a molehill, but some things deserve to make someone upset. Some things NEED to be called out and addressed. It's not as simple as saying people are "snowflakes".

Also "snowflake" is like "SJW" at this point. It automatically makes you sound dumb.

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017

Because a lot of people were on the "look how progressive he is!" train up until then.

Except he didn't actually fucking apologize in that instagram. That's the whole fucking point. He refused to apologize at first, kept trying to argue he's apologized before (which no one can actually find), and then immediately started playing the victim game with an insincere "I'm sorry if you were offended" stance that really shows he didn't actually grow and learn shit from this.

"oh fucking well"

So yes, you are 100% trying to downplay and dismiss why people are angry at him. So to turn around and complain about outrage culture comes across incredibly disingenuous.
Yeah oh fuckinf well means I'm demising?

"oh fucking well"

I said oh fucking well cause people will either move on or will still be talking about it( which they have the right to hence oh well) , if that's how you take the phrase that's on you even after I explained what I mean

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think he is right, but only to a point. There are definitely people out there who actively looking for a for reasons to be offended and upset and sometimes it ends with them making a mountain out of a molehill, but some things deserve to make someone upset. Some things NEED to be called out and addressed. It's not as simple as saying people are "snowflakes".

Also "snowflake" is like "SJW" at this point. It automatically makes you sound dumb.
He's not right at all. He bade a blanket statement about an entire generation, and used "snowflake" to do it. His statement hurts, it doesn't help.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Is this a fact tho? Hate Kevin Hart all you want but I do recall him saying sorry.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
Hey DJ, once you start giving Stallone proper credit for your competition show idea then we can talk about your issues.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I get that and I think he is more wrong than right if that helps.
He's wrong because he made a blanket statement that says nothing in particular, yet uses alt right buzzwords as a dog whistle.

To assume that he is talking about specific, cherry picked instances that don't align with right wing talking points is ignorance.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Is this a fact tho? Hate Kevin Hart all you want but Indo recall him saying sorry.

If you accept "I'm sorry if I offended you" as an apology, then yeah he has.

If you read every other statement he's put out about it, how he doesn't tell those jokes anymore not because he realizes it's wrong, but because he knows he'll get in trouble for it, or that he wouldn't apologize because "it'll never be good enough for some people" (when the problem was it wasn't even close to a sincere apology in the first place), or that he argues he's the real victim in all of this, then no, he really hasn't apologized, or shown that he's learned and grown from this.

Which is entirely what that poster was trying to argue, and then dismissing those who weren't willing to accept that.

Status
Not open for further replies.