• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you accept "I'm sorry if I offended you" as an apology, then yeah he has.

If you read every other statement he's put out about it, how he doesn't tell those jokes anymore not because he realizes it's wrong, but because he knows he'll get in trouble for it, or that he wouldn't apologize because "it'll never be good enough for some people" (when the problem was it wasn't even close to a sincere apology in the first place), or that he argues he's the real victim in all of this, then no, he really hasn't apologized, or shown that he's learned and grown from this.

Which is entirely what that poster was trying to argue, and then dismissing those who weren't willing to accept that.

Using the word "Sorry" imo means its an apology. Whether you thought it was an acceptable one or not is subjective. But to state he never committed the action of apologizing is objective and false since he did do that. If we want to be very specific with words, we should do the same when criticizing him.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
He's wrong because he made a blanket statement that says nothing in particular, yet uses alt right buzzwords as a dog whistle.

To assume that he is talking about specific, cherry picked instances that don't align with right wing talking points is ignorance.
I'm not assuming anything. He talks about some people looking for things to be offended about. And he is right. There are definitely people like that. But by not being more specific and using the stupid phrase "snowflake" he has inadvertently (I assume) made a statement that is gonna fuel the shittier people in the world. And that's where I disagree with it.

But that's just how I see it. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me.

Edit: Interview was fake apparently. All for nothing lol

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
There's some truth in his statement.
The most effective lies and deceptions are told with a sprinkle of truth. Before warping and twisting to make traps for the lazy, embryonic and foolish who crave little more than the simple feeling of superiority. To believe they are better than someone else.

Taking outliers and holding them up as the common experience and using belittling terms to describe straw man grouping you've created is one such example, directly applicable here.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This thread has become super ironic with that update. OP you should put that Rock Response in the OP

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm not assuming anything. He talks about some people looking for things to be offended about. And he is right. There are definitely people like that. But by not being more specific and using the stupid phrase "snowflake" he has inadvertently (I assume) made a statement that is gonna fuel the shittier people in the world. And that's where I disagree with it.

But that's just how I see it. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me.

Edit: Interview was fake apparently. All for nothing lol
Welp, I guess it never happened, according to the man himself.

And you can twist "looking to be offended" into not accepting gender pronouns, getting upset at racist and bigoted jokes, etc.

The problem lies in the fact that we didn't have any examples to go off of and we were discussing a blanket, harmful statement.

Anyway, looks like this thread is now a dud anyway.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Well other generations didn't have social media to rage about any particular subject or person. It kinda is exclusive to this generation.
You don't need social media to be offended. You can get offended on the street or through a letter. Social media just spreads it faster but to claim it's exclusive to this generation is hilarious.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Using the word "Sorry" imo means its an apology. Whether you thought it was an acceptable one or not is subjective. But to state he never committed the action of apologizing is objective and false since he did do that. If we want to be very specific with words, we should do the same when criticizing him.

People can parse the difference between a "genuine" and "non-genuine" apology. Every one of Kevin Hart's statements shows he does not understand why he's apologizing. Every apology is also attached to a statement that essentially contradicts his own apology. Every statement eventually wrapping around to be about him and how he's the victim in all this.

So no, just saying "sorry" without any fucking meaning behind it is not an "apology". Go be pedantic somewhere else.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"People react negatively to a statement that, to their knowledge, is true" isn't actually ironic.

And in less than 24 hours not being true. What do we call that?

People can parse the difference between a "genuine" and "non-genuine" apology. Every one of Kevin Hart's statements shows he does not understand why he's apologizing. Every apology is also attached to a statement that essentially contradicts his own apology. Every statement eventually wrapping around to be about him and how he's the victim in all this.

So no, just saying "sorry" without any fucking meaning behind it is not an "apology". Go be pedantic somewhere else.

I mean, determining whether someone is genuine with thier words is literally an opinion. So are you arguing that thats not an opinion. Lol

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

People being so fucking insistent on pointing their finger in the air with a "well, technically, he did apologize!", while not even addressing the actual issue of his past and present statements, is telling.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
So what do we call all the sudden Rock hate in this thread? What is that defined as?
There is nothing sudden about Rock dislike. He's been socially disliked for some time by many for his comments in the recent past. "Hate" is not an accurate descriptor here. People hate Trump. People dislike The Rock.

This thread so far is a continuation of that dislike and frustration. If the interview never happened, people that dislike him will dislike him marginally less. That's all.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
This thread has become super ironic with that update. OP you should put that Rock Response in the OP

I mean this thread exposed a lot of people who buy into the "snowflake" culture who either A. can't provide any concrete examples and bail or B. provide examples that are clearly real issue that they want to be dismissive about, thus ironically making "themselves" the snowflakes.

So the thread had it's purpose at least.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People being so fucking insistent on pointing their finger in the air with a "well, technically, he did apologize!", while not even addressing the actual issue of his past and present statements, is telling.

No one is doing that tho. You're literally putting words in my mouth. But its contradictive to use the word "never" and "apology" when he did do that then at the sametime try to hold him accountable for words he choose to use.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Looking after his buddy. Not the hill to die on Dwayne, your friend said some seriously stupid and also harmful/dangerous shit.

Edit: Oh, fake news! Should have checked that the original source was some tabloid before commenting.

Last edited:

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean this thread exposed a lot of people who buy into the "snowflake" culture who either A. can't provide any concrete examples and bail or B. provide examples that are clearly real issue that they want to be dismissive about, thus ironically making "themselves" the snowflakes.

So the thread had it's purpose at least.

Moral victory. Keep on winning

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
And in less than 24 hours not being true. What do we call that?

I don't really follow your logic. A report was presented, people reacted to a shitty thing he said by saying "That was a shitty thing to say," but then the report turned out to be fabricated and that's... ironic somehow?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
No one is doing that tho. But its contradictive to use the word "never" and "apology" when he did do that then at the sametime try to hold him accountable for words he choose to use.
It happens in every single Hart thread, so it absolutely happens. And you just did it.. "well, yes, he did apologize", ok, that's good to point out, yes he issued a statement apologizing, but it's equally important to recognize that his apology was bullshit. But you don't seem to care too much about that, for unknown reasons.

JohnCarpenter1306

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 18, 2018
Gonna follow that up at all, or just drive-by shitpost.

Why is that drive by shitposting? It is (up to this point) 16 pages of something an actor said! Who cares what he thinks about this generation? You disagree with him- great! Move on. But 16 pages because he used the term "snowflake" is kind of proving the Rock's point...

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It happens in every single Hart thread, so it absolutely happens. And you just did it.. "well, yes, he did apologize", ok, that's good to point out, yes he issued a statement apologizing, but it's equally important to recognize that his apology was bullshit. But you don't seem to care too much about that, for unknown reasons.

Tell me more about me that I didnt discuss while you're being passive aggressive please

Spring

Oct 31, 2017
Some of you need to stop taking everything you read online so literally and jumping to conclusion. It's sickening how quick some of you want to dig up dirts on him already and paint him as a villain before he can even respond and defend himself. Where is the justice in any of this?

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Some of you need to stop taking everything you read online so literally and jumping to conclusion. It's sickening how quick some of you want to dig up dirts on him already and paint him as a villain before he can even respond and defend himself. Where is the justice in any of this?

The irony

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Anyway, I take The Rock at his word here and it's too bad someone would use his name to forward their agenda. Glad he has clarified things.

Unless this alleged interview produces some audio tapes to prove Dwayne is lying, this one is a wrap.

Lesson: Verify the sources claiming they had an interview are reputable. The spread of fake news is how we got Trump. The Daily Star seems like it needs to be on a list with VGChartz.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Why is that drive by shitposting? It is (up to this point) 16 pages of something an actor said! Who cares what he thinks about this generation? You disagree with him- great! Move on. But 16 pages because he used the term "snowflake" is kind of proving the Rock's point...

Tell me, what post threshold does this thread need to stay under to prove/not prove his point. You seem to have a rough idea of how many, it would be good for future use.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is what I was originally responding to. You're dismissing the entire context of what Hart said and did because of the actual fact that he issued apologies.

No, im not dismissing the context. I am dismissing the statement "he never apologized." Thats a false statement.

Honestly I think his apology was terrible and he could have done it so many better ways. I think his ego is the problem with his applogy. But I cant say he "never" apologized

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
I don't really follow your logic. A report was presented, people reacted to a shitty thing he said by saying "That was a shitty thing to say," but then the report turned out to be fabricated and that's... ironic somehow?
Acting rationally to stimuli is setting us back apparently.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
No, im not dismissing the context. I dismissing the statement "he never apologized." Thats a false statement.
..and also dismissing all of the other context of him apologizing, yet contradicting and invalidating his apology.. simply because he apologized.

Which is exactly why we're talking about the literal fact of whether he issued an apology instead of him clearly not being sorry for what he said.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

That's... not what happened here? People took a newspaper article at face value because there was no reason to think it had been fabricated.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
..and also dismissing all of the other context of him apologizing, yet contradicting and invalidating his apology.. simply because he apologized.

Which is exactly why we're talking about the literal fact of whether he issued an apology instead of him clearly not being sorry for what he said.

Its contractive to hold someone accountable for their specific words and the fact they may have contradicted themselves, then in turn not hold your own words in criticizing them accountable when they aren't accurate.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Its contractive to hold someone accountable for their specific words and the fact they may have contradicted themselves, then in turn not hold your own words in criticizing them accountable when they aren't accurate.
Yes, but you're taking his apology as being good enough for people to be satisfied; "you can hate him all you want but" is using his literal apology to excuse his poor handling of the situation.

So you absolutely excused relevant context.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018

Well if it's on the internet, then it must be true.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
If this was fake news I'm not sure why this thread is still open.
Well for one I think that people who popped in the thread before Rock's response (or just saw the title), also have chance to see the new updated title. Rather than the thread getting buried fast. If there's fake news spread, the correction shouldn't be ignored. This is something that sadly happens way too often. Bullshit claims stick even after when they've been established to be bullshit.

Last edited:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just looked through the UK Daily Star website and it's little more than a common tabloid in as far as I can tell. 16 pages and none of us bothered to check the source.

GG
I looked at the original article and thought it was shady as hell, looks like a high schooler wrote it. But had no reason to check and see if they would literally fabricate the entire thing.. usually people aren't that bold.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but you're taking his apology as being good enough for people to be satisfied; "you can hate him all you want but" is using his literal apology to excuse his poor handling of the situation.

So you absolutely excused relevant context.

No im not. Thats you not understanding anything about what im saying. I never stated his apology was good enough. I said it was subjective on how you accept it. Thus why, you can hate him. But please. Continue to put words in my mouth to make something more of what Im saying. It aligns with this thread ironically.

Status
Not open for further replies.