• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Woof. So the story was fake, huh. I guess people will believe what they wanna believe.

brentech

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps you will be the person to finally provide an actual example, and not just be person #100 making a generalized statement and never following up on it.

So, point to an example.
Just look at my post history. I likely vote the same way as much of the forum in recent elections - but there are certain things I disagree with. Was told to stop posting because I don't engulf my life with everything said on the forum.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Didn't realize it was that type of publication

It's ok, it highlights the importance of considering the sources before we decide who to believe. Especially since our tabloids have always been able to get away with making up all sorts of guff.

A couple of past highlights though, for laughs.

Bz2vZcZIgAA6ngx.jpg

By-PYISCMAAxqnG.jpg

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just can't accept this dismissal. While the fake story warranted criticism, the chorus of "fuck offs" is just too extreme of a reaction and it's exhausting. No one will come out and admit they jumped the gun. Why not show maturity and some humility?

Everyone wants to hold everyone else accountable but never themselves.

Well said

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It's ok, it highlights the importance of considering the sources before we decide who to believe. Especially since our tabloids have always been able to get away with making up all sorts of guff.

Bz2vZcZIgAA6ngx.jpg

By-PYISCMAAxqnG.jpg
UK Era! We trusted you to have looked at this shit before the late arrivals like myself did. Ya'll were supposed to call out the source like we would have called out The National Inquirer if it was the original quoted source.

I am disappoint.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
User warned: Aggressive behaviour
Just look at my post history. I likely vote the same way as much of the forum in recent elections - but there are certain things I disagree with. Was told to stop posting because I don't engulf my life with everything said on the forum.
You shoulda followed my advice but nah you went back to hiding out in OTs and only posting in these topics when you have something shitty to say about other people without taking the time to actually consider what they're actually trying to communicate.

I'll say it again: lurk moar

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
There is a lot to be outraged about. We still have a lot of catching up to do.

Crazy isn't it? Its like people with progressive ideas are only shouted down when things like Trump and Brexit are on the table, only because it is a convenient distraction for the hard right supporters to GTFO when it comes to actually talking through their shitty reasons for supporting these agendas.

There absolutely is. My point is that while a lot of the outrage is justified and necessary, there is unquestionably also a lot of pointless outrage and overreactions to things. This is not a black and white issue. But because enough people want to focus on legitimate things to be angry about they ignore they illegitinate or silly things and it creates a toxic culture sometimes.

Oct 27, 2017
I would hope Rock would sue them if it was straight up a fabrication.

I would also hope Rock would be have been smarter than to publicity declare his support and love for Kevin Hart shortly after the shit that happened with him.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
No, people will believe what they thought came from a reasonably trustworthy site posted on what they would consider a relatively trustworthy forum for such topics. Everyone let everyone else down here.
I meant more like, without concrete proof, everything online is subject to being questioned. ERA has had past threads (don't feel like looking them up, sue me) where the news article in the OP is a lie, the title is a lie, etc. We (me included) can't just read an OP and decide it's true just because we agree with it or not. More effort being put into finding out what is or what isn't true would go a long way, well, everywhere

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Yes, that's what happens when people rush to post threads without checking the sources. The Independent failed, but we were the final arbiter here. Anyone could have read further, but everyone assumed it was true because the first source is relatively decent. We failed.

Bz2vZcZIgAA6ngx.jpg

By-PYISCMAAxqnG.jpg
Yeah I feel quite embarrassed, since I've been so often criticizing people for taking out of context tweets as the news and people not going for original source on stories etc. Yet here I took this thread at face value. Though I also blame Independent a bit, this shit is their job. Well atleast I wasn't nailing Dwayne to the cross either.

Last edited:

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So the interview is made up but the context of this thread and the hot takes on the first 10 pages, and subsequent double-downers who are moving goal posts and finding anything to hate him for only reinforces the semi-truth in his fake statement.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Is it fake news? If it is, the sudden vitriol spewed at the Rock on this forum will sure look bad. I guess the feeling of righteousness now outweighs any potential egg on one's face later huh? And they say only Republicans fall for fake news. This kind of rage bait is like catnip to some of you guys.

Doesn't really sound like something the Rock would say.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I meant more like, without concrete proof, everything online is subject to being questioned. ERA has had past threads (don't feel like looking them up, sue me) where the news article in the OP is a lie, the title is a lie, etc. We (me included) can't just read an OP and decide it's true just because we agree with it or not. More effort being put into finding out what is or what isn't true would go a long way, well, everywhere
Yea, but that's common all over the internet. Nothing special about Era, though there's less of that happening here than elsewhere. It happens here once in a blue moon, while FB and Reddit are littered with shit. We failed to dodge this one, and it's sad because simple due diligence by literally any of us could have stemmed the discussion. We failed.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
UK Era! We trusted you to have looked at this shit before the late arrivals like myself did. Ya'll were supposed to call out the source like we would have called out The National Inquirer if it was the original quoted source.

I am disappoint.

Hey, I just got here, skipped over the thread initially but the update drew some interest. Wondered why The Independent was running with the story but then found out they were quoting The Daily Star of all things.

Nov 14, 2017
No, people will believe what they thought came from a reasonably trustworthy site posted on what they would consider a relatively trustworthy forum for such topics. Everyone let everyone else down here.
I mean, the OP should have linked to the Daily Star and not The Independent. Maybe non-brits would have still fallen for it, but at least there would have been more people calling it out straight away.

I actually quite like the Daily Star, for what it's worth. It can be horrid and reactionary, but I like how they really go for it. Sometimes they use real names and faces, but otherwise they don't let reality get in the way of telling whatever story popped into their head. It's pretty much the ultimate tabloid rag.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Here's the real question: if the Rock primaried Trump, said jack shit about politics, just beat his chest, oozed manliness and treated Trump like a spoilt child - would he ultimately get the GOP nomination?

brentech

Oct 25, 2017
You shoulda followed my advice but nah you went back to hiding out in OTs and only posting in these topics when you have something shitty to say about other people without taking the time to actually consider what they're actually trying to communicate.

Was it shitty or true?

CB3

Oct 25, 2017

This is a wild post. How does posting in OT's make you less qualified to speak on other topics? And who are you to be saying someone shouldnt be posting?

BIGLukas

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yikes, pretty shitty of whoever made this up. I do stand by my statement that this does feel within the realm of something he would say, or at least believe, but since he didn't actually say it, that doesn't mean anything. The opinions I held of him before today exist for a reason, but I did let them get in the way of my own judgement. Not a great feeling but I can't really blame anyone but myself.

ninjabot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So do we know whether it's true or not if he said these things? It's been confirmed that he didn't?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Is it fake news? If it is, the sudden vitriol spewed at the Rock on this forum will sure look bad. I guess the feeling of righteousness now outweighs any potential egg on one's face later huh? And they say only Republicans fall for fake news. This kind of rage bait is like catnip to some of you guys.

Doesn't really sound like something the Rock would say.
Yes, it is fake news.

Unfortunately The Rock has a history which led people to believe he said it. This would not have been the first disappointing thing The Rock has said or done. Coupled with the relatively respectable Independent running this and you have...well, this long-ass, unnecessary thread and The Rock having to make a video tweet about it.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I'll be so glad if this is 100 bs. Baywatch stuff aside, in every single interview , social media post, etc. he's nothing but love for his fellow man. It felt really odd to read those quotes.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
So do we know whether it's true or not if he said these things? It's been confirmed that he didn't?
It is incredibly unlikely that he said this given the original source is literally a tabloid that survives by making up everything inside its pages. Tabloids are straight fiction. The Star is a fiction publication. Go look at their website yourself and tell me what you think of the site.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS

I asked you to provide an example, not send me off to scour your post history to find out that your example is how you went into a thread discussing the poor state of work/crunch culture in the gaming industry, dismissing those complaining because "if they don't like it why don't they just go get another job".

And direct quote from there to set the tone:

"Yeah, except no. If this is the sword a bunch of nerds choose to die on, good luck with your careers. Keep fighting for $15/hr to do nothing. Truly the worst generation. "

Someone was detailing their story about not being able to take 30 fucking minutes out of a WEEK during a YEARS LONG crunch/overtime push to try and actually improve morale in the workplace, and your response in that thread was to call them entitled.

So yeah, unless you can find me a better example of you not being an asshole, I'm still waiting for someone to actually provide something substantial, and not you ironically being the snowflake because you didn't like people calling you out on your shitty opinion.

Last edited:

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
lol it's literally one of those shitty tabloids you seen in the checkout line talking about the greys adopting our technology and molding it with theirs to wipe out 43 planets.

I want to go back and read some of the replies now lol.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I just can't accept this dismissal. While the fake story warranted criticism, the chorus of "fuck offs" is just too extreme of a reaction and it's exhausting. No one will come out and admit they jumped the gun. Why not show maturity and some humility?

Everyone wants to hold everyone else accountable but never themselves.

There was no reason for anyone yo think that the article could have been fake. Certainly no one pointed that out until he clarified.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it is fake news.

Unfortunately The Rock has a history which led people to believe he said it. This would not have been the first disappointing thing The Rock has said or done. Coupled with the relatively respectable Independent running this and you have...well, this long-ass, unnecessary thread and The Rock having to make a video tweet about it.
I'll be so glad if this is 100 bs. Baywatch stuff aside, in every single interview , social media post, etc. he's nothing but love for his fellow man. It felt really odd to read those quotes.
RIDMjCW.gif

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
There was no reason for anyone yo think that the article could have been fake. Certainly no one pointed that out until he clarified.
It's literally fake news sourced from a tabloid. Everyone jumping the gun is absolutely on them, and none of those posters have any right to shit on others for falling for fake news in the future. It told them a story that they wanted to believe, and they swallowed it whole. Literally looking for any reason to be mad and tear someone down. Shameful behavior.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Johnson should sue them. In this day and age stuff like this could end your career.
Tabloids do this shit all the time. Look at the covers in your local grocery aisle. The thing is...most people are aware they are reading fiction. We somehow got jebaited into thinking a fictional tabloid interview was real. And a lot of other people too, given The Rock has to respond.

Tabloids suck, but there's no way it should have made it to our site and persisted without someone checking the source and applying the breaks. It wasn't declared a tabloid until I mentioned it a couple of pages ago. We fucked up. Sorry, Rock. Pls forgive us.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
So the interview is made up but the context of this thread and the hot takes on the first 10 pages, and subsequent double-downers who are moving goal posts and finding anything to hate him for only reinforces the semi-truth in his fake statement.
Well not really, people failed to check the original source and failed in media literacy. Taking issue with what he allegedly said isn't being a "snowflake" or "looking to be outraged".
Tabloids do this shit all the time. Look at the covers in your local grocery aisle. The thing is...most people are aware they are reading fiction. We somehow got jebaited into thinking a fictional tabloid interview was real. And a lot of other people too, given The Rock has to respond.

Tabloids suck, but there's no way it should have made it to our site and persisted without someone checking the source and applying the breaks. It wasn't declared a tabloid until I mentioned it a couple of pages ago. We fucked up. Sorry, Rock. Pls forgive us.
It's really fucking wild how crazy foreign tabloids can get, like we have tabloids here too in Finland. But it's really not even close to UK tabloids. They may print celeb gossip sure, but rarely if ever fabricate entire interviews. Need to keep my eyes open, in case this has been reported in any of our local media too.

Edit: We actually have highest trust towards (traditional) media in Europe. Can backfire easily when reading foreign media.

Last edited:

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas

I'm not sure to what standard OPs need to be held to with regard to researching the content of their threads, though. By the time OP had confirmed if the source was legit, someone else would likely have posted the article anyway lol

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Not looking forward to the Rock related threads in the coming weeks. "Did the Rock ever apologize for his snowflake comments?" "Rock gets a side eye from me"

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's literally fake news sourced from a tabloid. Everyone jumping the gun is absolutely on them, and none of those posters have any right to shit on others for falling for fake news in the future. It told them a story that they wanted to believe, and they swallowed it whole. Literally looking for any reason to be mad and tear someone down. Shameful behavior.

The article posted is from Independent UK. A lot of posters here, including myself, wouldn't be familiar with every tabloid in the world to discern that the news article was properly vetted. Literally no one came into say that the article could have been fake so it's weird for posters like you to come in and go "lol fake news". Hindsight is 20/20.

brentech

Oct 25, 2017
I asked you to provide an example, not send me off to scour your post history to find out that your example is how you went into a thread discussing the poor state of work/crunch culture in the gaming industry, dismissing those complaining because "if they don't like it why don't they just go get another job".

And direct quote from there to set the tone:

"Yeah, except no. If this is the sword a bunch of nerds choose to die on, good luck with your careers. Keep fighting for $15/hr to do nothing. Truly the worst generation. "

Someone was detailing their story about not being able to take 30 fucking minutes out of a WEEK during a YEARS LONG crunch to try and actually improve morale in the workplace, and your response in that thread was to call them entitled.

So yeah, unless you can find me a better example of you not being an asshole, I'm still waiting for someone to actually provide something substantial, and not you ironically being the snowflake because you didn't like people calling you out on your shitty opinion.
Sorry for being an asshole to a bunch of people being assholes to everyone that didn't agree with the Era horde.

If cake is allowed, I hope y'all really enjoy it though.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
This is not entirely correct. What happened here is people read the article from The Independent and trusted The Independent, who is demonstrably *not* a tabloid. How they ended up running a story sourced from a tabloid is startling.

It's like CNN running a story and referencing The Inquirer as its source. The opportunity was there for us to uncover the truth here, but people wouldn't really think it necessary to do because they trust CNN to not tender bullshit.

As for falling for fake news...no, people should still shit on others for doing so. It helps keep people on their toes and alert.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The article posted is from Independent UK. A lot of posters here, including myself, wouldn't be familiar with every tabloid in the world to discern that the news article was properly vetted. Literally no one came into say that the article could have been fake so it's weird for posters like you to come in and go "lol fake news". Hindsight is 20/20.
Sometimes it's okay to wait for confirmation of something before immediately believing everything you hear on the internet. I saw this explode on reddit and Twitter before I saw it here and chose to wait for confirmation anyway. Foresight doesn't have to be nearly as bad as it is for all of the hot takers in pages 1-4
As for falling for fake news...no, people should still shit on others for doing so. It helps keep people on their toes and alert.
People in general do indeed need to be constantly reminded about how prevalent and shitty fake news is. Some people maybe shouldn't act so damned smug and superior while delivering that message anymore, though. This kind of shit just goes to show that you can't trust a whole hell of a lot at first, and it's best to wait for confirmation before putting your flag in the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.