• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I don't really follow your logic. A report was presented, people reacted to a shitty thing he said by saying "That was a shitty thing to say," but then the report turned out to be fabricated and that's... ironic somehow?

That people are so quick to judge and not bothering to even verify the source before getting angry so quickly isn't an irony in a thread discussing about people getting easily offended?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm not sure to what standard OPs need to be held to with regard to researching the content of their threads, though. By the time OP had confirmed if the source was legit, someone else would likely have posted the article anyway lol
Honestly, in this case all I did was open The Independent article. They directly linked The Sun. Like, no research required. They linked directly to the tabloid as the source. Go to the OP article and see for yourself.

I do generally agree that we shouldn't have to do that for trusted news sources and I believe The Independent was reasonably well trusted. This is pretty messy for them and whatever other outlets ran the story without doing the same minimal due diligence I did here. This was not super sleuthing. I did not find Carmen Sandiego. I read a few strange paragraphs then clicked a link to the source and said, "....lmao."

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Honestly, in this case all I did was open The Independent article. They directly linked The Sun. Like, no research required. They linked directly to the tabloid as the source. Go to the OP article and see for yourself.

I do generally agree that we shouldn't have to do that for trusted news sources and I believe The Independent was reasonably well trusted. This is pretty messy for them and whatever other outlets ran the story without doing the same minimal due diligence I did here. This was not super sleuthing. I did not find Carmen Sandiego. I read a few strange paragraphs then clicked a link to the source and said, "....lmao."
Indeed. Though many people probably don't know that the Sun is a tabloid so they wouldn't discount the article unless they were to click the link and see the site lol

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
That people are so quick to judge and not bothering to even verify the source before getting angry so quickly isn't an irony in a thread discussing about people getting easily offended?
Being easily offended isn't the same as being easily mislead. We are gullible, easy to fool. But if it was true what he allegedly said, people taking issue with it would be absolutely valid. Calling out what was claimed he said isn't being a snowflake.

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hey The Independent.

Do better than following the lead of blatant tabloid bullshit. Until then, go fuck yourselves.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What was particularly interesting were the posts saying stuff like "yea, Vin deisel was right!" Or "screw the rock, I liked Vin better" or something along the lines, cause you know, Vin diesel is the bastion of light we all aspire to be! (Recalls awkward/creepy moment with brazillian reporter)

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Indeed. Though many people probably don't know that the Sun is a tabloid so they wouldn't discount the article unless they were to click the link and see the site lol
True unfortunately. Plenty of respected outlets named The Sun and I can see that mistake being made here, as UK Sun is definitely not among them. Unfortunate situation.

Anyone have a head count on how many "respected" outlets ran this story?

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Sorry for being an asshole to a bunch of people being assholes to everyone that didn't agree with the Era horde.

A few people called you out for how insensitive your posts were considering you have zero idea the personal life situations of these workers, nor how "just quit your job and get a new one" has never being a rational piece of advice in the context of work culture, and you immediately jump to "jesus people just gatekeeping, can't speak against the hive mind!" and just bailed from the thread.

Not that many people even called you out on it, you just immediately jumped to the defensive and started complaining about the hivemind.

You literally became a snowflake the moment anyone offered even the slightest resistance to your opinion.

The absolute fucking irony you would come into this thread to complain about them being on this forum when you, yourself, are the example.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
This is a wild post. How does posting in OT's make you less qualified to speak on other topics? And who are you to be saying someone shouldnt be posting?
The whole point of "lurk moar" is specifically that people jump on boards (or in this case, into topics) where there has already been discussion (in this case, there has been a long history of discussion on this board related to the use of snowflake, "outrage culture", etc. complete with sources) to post takes that are blatantly ignorant of said discussion and which, in practice, accomplish little more than disrupting whatever discussion might actually be viable, and disparaging other users.

It doesn't disqualify anyone from posting, and I have no control over what people decide to post where. But it sure as hell shows someone's ass and their lack of any real thought or understanding put into the subject. If you think those kinds of posts should be given the same weight or consideration as others, well idk what to tell you. That is wild.
Was it shitty or true?
It was shitty and it still is shitty. You're completely welcome to prove what I just said wrong but your conduct in here and that last thread gives me the impression your energy is going to go into making blanket statements about members of this forum to paint them as a hivemind. Which, again, is shitty.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
What was particularly interesting were the posts saying stuff like "yea, Vin deisel was right!" Or "screw the rock, I liked Vin better" or something along the lines, cause you know, Vin diesel is the bastion of light we all aspire to be! (Recalls awkward/creepy moment with brazillian reporter)

Yeah those posts were embarrassing to say the least, along with the "he hasn't made a good movie" ones.

brentech

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes.
He should like sue
I believe that's typically really hard to be successful with against those papers - or any paper.
A few people called you out for how insensitive your posts were considering you have zero idea the personal life situations of these workers, nor how "just quit your job and get a new one" has never being a rational piece of advice in the context of work culture, and you immediately jump to "jesus people just gatekeeping, can't speak against the hive mind!" and just bailed from the thread.

Not that many people even called you out on it, you just immediately jumped to the defensive and started complaining about the hivemind.

You literally became a snowflake the moment anyone offered even the slightest resistance to your opinion.

The absolute fucking irony you would come into this thread to complain about them being on this forum when you, yourself, are the example.
Damn. Got me. Dead on.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Republican wrestler who made millions off gay jokes and a bully persona is upset that being an asshole is no longer politically correct

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So this is a thread that was apparently about some celebrity showing his ass, where some peeps were busy putting some other celebrity on a pedestal by saying such things as "I always knew this person was better", only to look like asses because this is fake news anyway. 20 page thread and not one of you niggas actually tried to read the original "interview" the article was apparently claiming these comments come from.

How is this not the first thing you do? If you see a topic where someone says this, how is the first thing you do not to find the actual interview so you can read everything he's said? Had even one person done that, you would've realized something is off here. Straight up, internet is filled with dumbasses. Like, you can't help but laugh at this.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some choice quotes from the original article:
He "laid the smackdown" on PC softies in an exclusive chat with the Daily Star.
While The People's Champion applauds the fact nowadays anyone can "be who they want to be" the musclebound man-mountain raged at the constant offence snowflakes take from everything.

The legendary wrestler turned actor says it does a disservice to war heroes who fought for freedom of speech.

He spoke out after a flood of snowflake stories hit the headlines.
F1 banned the much-loved Grid Girls over sexism fears, uni leaders banned clapping in case it upset soft students and there was outcry when equality fools demanded a re-branding of the tasty treats to "Gingerbread People".

As a result, former wrestler The Rock, who made £92million from his blockbuster movies last year, isn't happy.
He said: "I don't have to agree with what somebody thinks, who they vote for, what they voted for, what they think, but I will back their right to say or believe it.

"That's democracy.

"So many good people fought for freedom and equality - but this generation are looking for a reason to be offended.
If anyone bothered reading the original article, your bullshit alarms would be going off.

It takes 20 seconds to google the source. Pretty simple thing anyone should be doing these days considering this isn't the first time websites have ran with something that isn't true. It's happened enough times that at the very least, you should be checking the source for the full comments and context. It's like dudes want to get their words in because they "care", but apparently don't care enough to spend the 1 or 2 minutes it takes to actually get a full overview.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
UK ERA:

TatteredDefiantHamster-size_restricted.gif

how did you goddamn cunts not SAY ANYTHING lmao

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
lol. thread exposed a lot of people for a lot of unexpected reasons.

Why is there 20 pages on a fake story ?
because it took us 800 posts and 1 Rock video tweet before someone *ahem* decided to actually click through to see the source of the article ran by the publication in the OP and call it out for what it was: trash from a run-of-the-mill UK tabloid. I wasn't the first that noticed the source was questionable, but maybe the first to officially call bullshit. Trust in the OP's link + lack of familiarity with UK tabloids = mess that apparently spread far enough for The Rock to notice and have to address.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
He spoke out after a flood of snowflake stories hit the headlines.

Headlines found exclusively in the Daily Star, interestingly enough. Many of them also based on fabricated stories.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Rock probably isn't an avid follower of UK tabloid media, specifically one paper whose claim to fame is that it's marginally cheaper than the others.

CB3

Oct 25, 2017
The whole point of "lurk moar" is specifically that people jump on boards (or in this case, into topics) where there has already been discussion (in this case, there has been a long history of discussion on this board related to the use of snowflake, "outrage culture", etc. complete with sources) to post takes that are blatantly ignorant of said discussion and which, in practice, accomplish little more than disrupting whatever discussion might actually be viable, and disparaging other users.

It doesn't disqualify anyone from posting, and I have no control over what people decide to post where. But it sure as hell shows someone's ass and their lack of any real thought or understanding put into the subject. If you think those kinds of posts should be given the same weight or consideration as others, well idk what to tell you. That is wild.

I guess im just confused as to why someone should be told to lurk, and have one of the reasons be "you post mainly in OT threads" or even hiding(?) in them. That doesnt connect with me. Im just curious why that should matter at all. The rest seems to be a personal issue with you and him.

But I will say since you put the question to me, I do think his posts (or those like it) should be given the same consideration or weight as others. Doesnt look like a shit post to me. And shouting down others or saying their opinion should matter less or telling them to go back to lurking seems like a poor choice.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
smmfh, I knew something was wrong with the story earlier today when I went to the website and couldn't find any video/audio from the "interview", but just assumed it wasn't uploaded yet.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
The Rock just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about millennials (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like being a baby boomer where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw a millennial over, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the millennial public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to see any of The Rock's movies. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but The Great One has alienated an entire market with this move.

Brahma Bull, publicly apologize and cancel Jumanji 2 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

kylecoley182

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't know how much the rest of you know about millennials (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like being a baby boomer where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw a millennial over, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the millennial public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to see any of The Rock's movies. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but The Great One has alienated an entire market with this move.

Brahma Bull, publicly apologize and cancel Jumanji 2 or you can kiss your business goodbye.
Fucking what

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I saw The Rock at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?"

I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach

The only good thing to happen to this thread

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I saw The Rock at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?"

I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

This one always kills me lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.