• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone please explain

1. What happened?
2. Why people are Dicks for mistakenly (along with millions of others) thinking a person is bad for saying bad things instead of simply poorly informed at this moment?

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017

2. Why people are Dicks for mistakenly (along with millions of others) thinking a person is bad for saying bad things instead of simply poorly informed at this moment?
Because they agree with the take, they thinking outrage culture and snowflakes exist, when the story proven wrong you see these people came out from the wood seeing the opportunity to "dunk". Newsflash motherfucker its people like you that I have problem with, that Rock deny being one of you.

Last edited:

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

1. What happened?

1. An article circulated where The Rock made a comment about Snowflakes And Outrage Culture Are The Real Bad Guys Holding Society Back, which many people took to be about the Kevin Hart hoopla. Many people said, "Hey that's a real bad take there Dwayne" and others provided examples of The Rock having Bad Opinions In The Past as a reason why they were not surprised by his statements.This article turned out to be entirely fabricated.
2. A lot of corny people popped in to try and cite this thread as an example of the Outrage Culture Going Too Far, which is super funny since The Rock said that way of thinking was bullshit.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
Daily Star is tabloid trash. Independent should have known better than to report a story from Daily Star. I appreciate The Rock's response but would feel much better if his actions reflected his words.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
I have a soft spot in my heart for fucking idiots that have the balls to say to celebs "it's okay that you believe X but I wish you didn't signed your biggest fan!".

Honestly, I wonder why anyone is a fan of celebrities anymore. Call it pessimism, but you just get that feeling that one day they'll turn out a piece of shit.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
Honestly, I wonder why anyone is a fan of celebrities anymore. Call it pessimism, but you just get that feeling that one day they'll turn out a piece of shit.
I still remember that dude that Tweeted in response to Eminem's tweet of "If you support Trump, I don't want you as a fan" with "I support Trump but still want to be your fan".

A true "But Black Dynamite " moment.

Hopefully people here will be a little more understanding of others falling for fake news.
Understanding and sympathizing are two different things. Context is also important. This was fuddy duddy lil' piece about The Rock, not something saying TRUMP RESIGNS or LIBERALS HATE XMAS.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh look someone on the internet lied for clicks because they know their audience doesnt give a flying about the truth ,they just want someone to pelt stones at. Era obliged. How surprising.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
635833962525052449-Central.jpg
lXkBZey.png
lXkBZey.png
lXkBZey.png

julian

Oct 27, 2017
So people got outraged at a made up quote that was frankly not saying anything all that specific or interesting. And now they're trying to defend their outrage by saying their position was reasonable since they believed it to be a defense of Kevin Hart...even though absolutely nothing in the made up quote mentions Hart.

Cool.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Glad the dude clarified.

Seen enough people who I'd assume have their heads on straight say nonsense like that to the point where I now just assume it's the truth until stated otherwise.
(My comment about the true snowflakes being the conservative reactionaries I'll stand by.)

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Oh look someone on the internet lied for clicks because they know their audience doesnt give a flying about the truth ,they just want someone to pelt stones at. Era obliged. How surprising.

Oh, stop it. I've said nothing about The Rock, but someone apparently fabricated an interview with him, a lot of people apparently didn't see reason to believe they were being lied to, The Rock clarified, and now here we are.

Did anyone celebrating Era's silliness suggest the interview might not be real? Just curious.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
He was a piece of shit prior to these statements though. Like he's done worse than this, so it's not like he's suddenly off the hook.

Genuinely curious as to what he's done to earn the title piece of shit?? I follow him on FB, and I've never seen him post anything even slightly controversial, but I don't really follow him past that.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, stop it. I've said nothing about The Rock, but someone apparently fabricated an interview with him, a lot of people apparently didn't see reason to believe they were being lied to, The Rock clarified, and now here we are.

Did anyone celebrating Era's silliness suggest the interview might not be real? Just curious.

I mean people did keep themeselves from posting till more light was shed on the matter yes. I didnt condemn era or rock until more info popped up.

But whe have already have a thread based on a lie which now has corroborated his 'evil' true self anyway.

Its hilarious because the liar probably did it just do get a rise out of internet groups and prove himself right. The constant internet outrage has gone out of hand. Its now the default reaction to everything.

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
I mean people did keep themeselves from posting till more light was shed on the matter yes. I didnt condemn era or rock until more info popped up.

But whe have already have a thread based on a lie which now has corroborated his 'evil' true self anyway.

Its hilarious because the liar probably did it just do get a rise out of internet groups and prove himself right. The constant internet outrage has gone out of hand. Its now the default reaction to everything.

You'd classify disagreeing as outrage too, wouldn't you?

Is making a comment outrage?

Djkhaled

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lmao. Seeing people react to this before they knew it was fake kind of proves the made up shit that was in the article. The first few pages of this thread are embarrassing.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Well then, fuck the Independent for using such a shit source, never in my life have I been given cause to they would do that so it comes as a surprise to be honest.

Fuck me for not checking

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

There is a specific charge that could be made here in light of this "more info": that people missed signs that the interview was fake, and didn't take it with a large enough grain of salt.

You aren't condemning Era for that, though. Everyone reacted to the interview with the shared belief it was real; the one difference is the level of agreement/disagreement people had with the sentiment expressed. Now that we know it wasn't real, according to The Rock, reactions have changed.

"See, the interview wasn't even real, you guys overreacted!!" is a pretty nonsensical formulation.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. An article circulated where The Rock made a comment about Snowflakes And Outrage Culture Are The Real Bad Guys Holding Society Back, which many people took to be about the Kevin Hart hoopla. Many people said, "Hey that's a real bad take there Dwayne" and others provided examples of The Rock having Bad Opinions In The Past as a reason why they were not surprised by his statements.This article turned out to be entirely fabricated.
2. A lot of corny people popped in to try and cite this thread as an example of the Outrage Culture Going Too Far, which is super funny since The Rock said that way of thinking was bullshit.
Thx. What's happening to the fake site?

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
am i missing something?

- report says he said something
- posters point out he said others things
- he denies original comment
- argument over his other things

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
am i missing something?

- report says he said something
- posters point out he said others things
- he denies original comment
- argument over his other things

-report says he said things that he did not say
-this caused lots of unmeasured anger and rage
-report is squished
-people are still clinging to anger and rage because 'other things'

Individual transgressions are no longer a thing, we form opinions and we stick to them. If something happens to support the opinion then FANTASTIC. If it turns out to be BS then, so what, it's still the target person's fault for sucking.

This is the very pathetic state of things.

Oct 25, 2017
-report is squished

Individual transgressions are no longer a thing, we form opinions and we stick to them. If something happens to support the opinion then FANTASTIC. If it turns out to be BS then, so what, it's still the target person's fault for sucking.

are we reading the same thread? honestly posts like this make me feel like i'm living in a twilight zone. how can this possibly be the reading.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
This entire thread has been a fascinating read. It could serve as a great case study for someone writing a research report about this so called "outrage culture," and/or about internet mob mentality. No one is perfect and everyone says stupid things, but the rate at which reactions to off the cuff remarks, regardless of whether they were real or not, escalate online is truly alarming.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Oh now he didn't say it?
Wow, there are people working 24/7 to create as much chaos and distraction as they can. Why are people so comfortable with being a liar these days? Life is so much easier without lies.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
-report is squished

Aren't you doing all of that? Like, to a T?

I mean, you've come up with a framework for processing criticism on the internet, and you're applying it even in a situation where it isn't warranted. There's nothing particularly interesting about the interview turning out to be fake, but that not changing minds apparently reaffirms all your preexisting beliefs about the "state of things." How is that anything less than you twisting things to support your opinion?

What you're inadvertently advocating for here is that everyone be totally reactionary. Like, there are reasons some people find The Rock suspect. His flirtation with the presidency, the fact that underlying his brand of positivity is a a certain apathy where he doesn't say anything controversial and apparently didn't even vote in 2016, his past involvement with Republican politics. But everyone is now obligated to situate their opinion on The Rock around whatever embarrassment they feel from believing a fake interview...?

Seriously, it's interesting and kinda ironic seeing "stop with the outrage!" people use an incident with an incredibly narrow lesson (check your sources, basically) as an excuse to complain in nonsensical ways.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
The obsession with celebs is 100% absurd imo. Most are dumb as fuck. Just like most non celebs. It's great to appreciate their talent. But a "fan" is a bit scary straight away imo. It has an irrational aspect in it that is scary.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This entire thread has been a fascinating read. It could serve as a great case study for someone writing a research report about this so called "outrage culture," and/or about internet mob mentality. No one is perfect and everyone says stupid things, but the rate at which reactions to off the cuff remarks, regardless of whether they were real or not, escalate online is truly alarming.
Bingo.

Status
Not open for further replies.