• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dont know how to describe it. But i sometimes imagine things, what if he could do that but we never knew about it or something like that. It is pretty silly actually

lol wut

would it be fair if people did the same in regards to you? if that's fair then I guess you have right to just be disappointed in someone for no reason. btw, this whole logic makes me disappointed in you.

Aug 14, 2018
Oh now he didn't say it?
Wow, there are people working 24/7 to create as much chaos and distraction as they can. Why are people so comfortable with being a liar these days? Life is so much easier without lies.

It would also help if people didn't get outraged over every minor thing a celebrity says or does. It's easy to spread chaos and distraction when people behave this way.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bet you can't provide one example of how he's a piece of shit.
He had dinner with Mohammed Bin Salman. You know the guy wanting to run Saudi Arabia after his father dies. And the one who recently made plans for the murder of the innocent journalist.

He didn't even address that fact when he was asked to after the murder.

So go ahead and tell me how he isn't a shitty person.

JohnCarpenter1306

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 18, 2018
This entire thread has been a fascinating read. It could serve as a great case study for someone writing a research report about this so called "outrage culture," and/or about internet mob mentality. No one is perfect and everyone says stupid things, but the rate at which reactions to off the cuff remarks, regardless of whether they were real or not, escalate online is truly alarming.

Correct-a-mundo.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Does that mean the fake article was right lmao? Fake Rock said people get offended too easily and that's what happened here.

Edit: /s I forgot people have difficulty telling if someone is being serious or not

Last edited:

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny to see how far people will go to avoid admitting they were wrong.

"Yeah well he didn't vote in 2016 so he's still a piece of shit"

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Daily Star has removed the interview it seems. It's not there atleast when going through the link in the Independent article. https://www./news/latest-news/75276...nson-movies-hits-out-at-snowflakes-WWE-legend
Does that mean the fake article was right lmao? Fake Rock said people get offended too easily and that's what happened here.
Well no. People didn't get "offended too easily" or weren't being "snowflakes." People called out dumb shit The Rock allegedly said. The original article is still dumb shit, only that The Rock had nothing to do with it. So the point still stands. Failure in media literacy isn't being a snowflake. People who weren't "offended" also believed the article. Does your post mean that you agree with Daily Star and it's writer though? That "PC culture" has gone too far? Do you agree with someone who uses a phrase "equality fools"? Would you say wanting equality is foolish?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
This entire thread has been a fascinating read. It could serve as a great case study for someone writing a research report about this so called "outrage culture," and/or about internet mob mentality. No one is perfect and everyone says stupid things, but the rate at which reactions to off the cuff remarks, regardless of whether they were real or not, escalate online is truly alarming.
Everyone has to be perfect all the time and live up to my imaginary standards.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep and people with fucked up motives are using this to manipulate people who refuse to take time to think about the situation. It's happening more and more each day and yet people fail to develop and exercise just a little restraint. When folks are checked out when it matters, this repeated mindlessness is going to be a reason why.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
As I said earlier in the thread, the only outrage culture is the one pushed in clickbait stories that signla boost small non-events and media outlets who pay their electricity bill with stories about how "people are too PC today"

Dec 12, 2017

This thread has truly been a simultaneously embarrassing and terrifying read.

So many kneejerk "fuck you, Rock" posts with no verification of facts.

Crisis reveals true character.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Daily Star has removed the interview it seems. It's not there atleast when going through the link in the Independent article. https://www./news/latest-news/75276...nson-movies-hits-out-at-snowflakes-WWE-legend
Well no. People didn't get "offended too easily" or weren't being "snowflakes." People called out dumb shit The Rock allegedly said. The original article is still dumb shit, only that The Rock had nothing to do with it. So the point still stands. Failure in media literacy isn't being a snowflake. People who weren't "offended" also believed the article. Does your post mean that you agree with Daily Star and it's writer though? That "PC culture" has gone too far? Do you agree with someone who uses a phrase "equality fools"? Would you say wanting equality is foolish?
Nah I was being sarcastic. Thought it would have been obvious when I said" Fake Rock said"

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is a perfect storm for all the people that have been sitting on the edge of their seats, drenched in sweat and vibrating with anxiety waiting for their chance to scream "OUTRAGE CULTURE ECHO CHAMBER ERA IS THE WORST, SEE?" but didn't want to risk their accounts doing it in threads where racism/sexism/transphobia was getting called out.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely curious as to what he's done to earn the title piece of shit?? I follow him on FB, and I've never seen him post anything even slightly controversial, but I don't really follow him past that.
I bet you can't provide one example of how he's a piece of shit.
Like what? He's always seemed/been treated like a good guy, from what I've seen. So I'm really curious what's really going on there
I posted an example in this very thread.

nstagram-saudi-arabia-the-prince-met-the-rock-on-an-32036803.png

Then a month and so later when he was directly confronted by a reporter in regards to this, the Rock stated:

"Such a silly, clickbait post, Oliver," Johnson tweeted. "Im surprised you'd post this. Go back and really read my words. I listened and learned then. As I listen and learn now. C'mon man"

What's hilarious about the Rock's reply here, is that the original post of his never stated that line where he "listened and learned". He edited that in after the fact, and took out the parts about Rupert Murdoch being his friend, and that the Saudis were big fans of his.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....r-clash-over-old-saudi-prince-instagram-post/

I love how he tells him to look back and read his words, as if the world hadn't already seen the original version of the post and reported on it. Also, he has never respnded to questions in regards to the post beyond that one response.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
This thread has truly been a simultaneously embarrassing and terrifying read.

So many kneejerk "fuck you, Rock" posts with no verification of facts.

Crisis reveals true character.
To be fair, there were also numerous reactionary "Yeah, he's right" posts about someone appearing to downplay discrimination in modern society. Posts that only served to fuel the flames and were just as lazy as anything coming the other way. I don't see any of those people changing their tune, except maybe to ignorantly chant "outrage culture" over the remains of this thread.

Also, there was some "verification" by numerous other sources, including the Independent, latching onto the original story. So there was a more widespread failure to authenticate here. Still not a great job on our part of vetting, though.

The vitriol and escalation (myself included here) was unfortunate and regrettable. Unfortunately, with so many inexplicably coming to the Rock's defense, it was bound to be a heated thread from the start, regardless of what the Rock actually said or didn't say.

Dec 2, 2017
I'm sort of confused as to what the daily star possibly hoped to achieve here. Making up a wholly fictional interview that he was bound to become aware of seems bizarre and opening yourself to be sued into oblivion.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People that complain about this stuff always end up looking more snowflake than the ones that they are trying to attack.

The whole thing with Hart was such a shitshow, so easy to just apologize and own it but US celebrities (or worldwide i think) always make shit about themselves and how they were attacked and offended... when they are probably the most privileged people in the world lmao.

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is a perfect storm for all the people that have been sitting on the edge of their seats, drenched in sweat and vibrating with anxiety waiting for their chance to scream "OUTRAGE CULTURE ECHO CHAMBER ERA IS THE WORST, SEE?" but didn't want to risk their accounts doing it in threads where racism/sexism/transphobia was getting called out.
Yeah and almost all of them only came to the thread after the fake news revelation, while none of them take a piss on the posts that flat out agreed about the "snowflake generation" bit. Almost sensing a pattern here.

Besides I don't see what's wrong here. An entirely plausible statement was allegedly made and people reacted to it by going "yeah that's dumb, piss off Dwayne". The people that didn't agree with him anyway. Nobody called for his head or anything. In fact the Rock has been disliked by many for previous things he's said and done, so the fact that this was fabricated changes little, and nobody had a real reason to suspect this was fabricated anyway. Where's the outrage? The people coming in with this holier-than-thou attitude and writing about outrage culture, kneejerk reactions and how era is always like this are aware they're posting 100% festering bullshit.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, we'd better be more careful about taking the hook on fake articles. That's the kind of shit Trumpkins fall for.

Yes, I fell for it too and was bithered about this all day yesterday, as I always liked the guy.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Damn, we'd better be more careful about taking the hook on fake articles. That's the kind of shit Trumpkins fall for.

Yes, I fell for it too and was bithered about this all day yesterday, as I always liked the guy.

To be fair, it's not like these fake interviews happen often. I can only think of one or two other instances since Era's inception. Most publications aren't crazy enough to do this, especially with celebrities.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

To be fair it's understandable. The story was an outright fabrication intended to antagonise. Had Rock actually said the word snowflakes in the way claimed then there'd be little possible context to defend it.

Perhaps though, in future we should be careful about shitting on celebrities and people usually not involved in politics before they've had a chance to properly respond to it and verify the claims.

Oct 25, 2017
People were baited from the Daily Star? Pfft.
The Independent should be above this tabloid shit, for shame.
Special shout out to the few who agreed with the fake quotes from The Rock. You lot are a shame as well.

Last edited:

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I posted an example in this very thread.

nstagram-saudi-arabia-the-prince-met-the-rock-on-an-32036803.png

Then a month and so later when he was directly confronted by a reporter in regards to this, the Rock stated:

"Such a silly, clickbait post, Oliver," Johnson tweeted. "Im surprised you'd post this. Go back and really read my words. I listened and learned then. As I listen and learn now. C'mon man"

What's hilarious about the Rock's reply here, is that the original post of his never stated that line where he "listened and learned". He edited that in after the fact, and took out the parts about Rupert Murdoch being his friend, and that the Saudis were big fans of his.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....r-clash-over-old-saudi-prince-instagram-post/

I love how he tells him to look back and read his words, as if the world hadn't already seen the original version of the post and reported on it. Also, he has never respnded to questions in regards to the post beyond that one response.
I posted about the exact same thing but these people chose to ignore it and will do the same to yours sadly.

Celebrity worship is a terrible thing. Especially when the celebrity does something as dangerous as promoting some murdering piece of garbage like MBS.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

People calling him out for the fake interview specifically weren't wrong.

But people saying "NO SURPRISE" and "I ALWAYS KNEW THE ROCK WAS A JACKASS" are embarrassing.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I'll admit, I believed the story in the OP. So Dwayne Johnson never said anything about the snowflake generation. That's good.

But all the people agreeing with that sentiment still do. It doesn't matter who originated that quote because plenty of people still came in with the attitude that he was absolutely right. I'm happy to be wrong about The Rock here but that's still lots of people putting themselves out there.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't know about that, don't really follow the guy. But apparently he's been criticized for some stuff in the past, for things he's actually said/done. My own impression of him has been mostly positive though.
Kinda sucks that someone can be viewed as a jackass for vague suggestions of maybe having said something iffy in the past.

He seems like a good guy who should probably never be in politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.