• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

pedanticmikey

Dec 19, 2018
Part of me wonders if people use terms like "snowflake" because they're not really intelligent enough to parse out the whole situation that they're having issues with. Gen Z is certainly more sensitive than prior ones. Rates of severe depression, anxiety, and self harm are all statistically up for those born after 1995.

The fear for sensible people is potentially losing ground on free speech, the cornerstone of what makes western civilzation so great. But there's people who mask their biggotry and desire to slow or reverse historically disenfranchised groups of people that are just now moving towards acceptance and openness in society.

Unfortunately, those biggots are seen as a pathology by those who pursuit positive social justice. That means anyone who sounds remotely like those biggots are seen as infected and part of that pathology, even if they support the cause of social justice. Any sense of disagreement or critique is perceived as a slight and potentially spreading the pathology. This erodes discourse and our ability to express ideas openly, for fear of being labeled something that just isn't true.

It's really a shit situation. How can a society isolate and drown out biggots, racists, and fascists while also maintaining sensible discourse and free speech? Losing any of the wonderful progress we've made socially in the last 50 years is incredibly awful to imagine. But maintaining that progress through fear and suppression of discourse seems to undermine the entire point of progressing. I really hope we can find another way.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me wonders if people use terms like "snowflake" because they're not really intelligent enough to parse out the whole situation that they're having issues with. Gen Z is certainly more sensitive than prior ones. Rates of severe depression, anxiety, and self harm are all statistically up for those born after 1995.

The fear for sensible people is potentially losing ground on free speech, the cornerstone of what makes western civilzation so great. But there's people who mask their biggotry and desire to slow or reverse historically disenfranchised groups of people that are just now moving towards acceptance and openness in society.

Unfortunately, those biggots are seen as a pathology by those who pursuit positive social justice. That means anyone who sounds remotely like those biggots are seen as infected and part of that pathology, even if they support the cause of social justice. Any sense of disagreement or critique is perceived as a slight and potentially spreading the pathology. This erodes discourse and our ability to express ideas openly, for fear of being labeled something that just isn't true.

It's really a shit situation. How can a society isolate and drown out biggots, racists, and fascists while also maintaining sensible discourse and free speech? Losing any of the wonderful progress we've made socially in the last 50 years is incredibly awful to imagine. But maintaining that progress through fear and suppression of discourse seems to undermine the entire point of progressing. I really hope we can find another way.

They used to arrest people on obscenity charges

Free speech is freer than ever

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Free speech isn't just from the perspective of government and law. Social pressure to silence is equally worrisome. Think about the social pressure towards minorities to be silent, despite their lawful ability to speak up.

And what's that go to do with what you're afraid of?

Because you sure as hell weren't talking about free speech for minorities

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Re : Rock Saudi Arabia and voting

I'm just gonna say it. People are fallible. People can make horrible mistakes in the things they say and do. Considering the amount of good he does, how positive a life he seems to lead, I do not think those mistakes of the Rock make him a flat-out "piece of shit" for life. Your mileage may vary.
Oh really?

Even when he had the ability to condemn MBS after they slaughtered an innocent journalist for talking shit about MBS and Saudi Kingdom?
He is a piece of shit. There are no excuses when he started getting mad after being called out.

pedanticmikey

Dec 19, 2018
Free speech isn't a group right, it's an individual right. Who it's for doesn't matter. Erode it for one group, and you erode it for all. A morally bankrupt tactic is always morally bankrupt.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
the article linked in the OP was from the Independent. in the end, people should have checked the original source, but it's understandable why people would have believed the OP initially.

The source of the original article was cited in its 4th sentence. People need to read articles instead of relying solely on OP's, especially when they find something they consider controversial. Too many just started piling on The Rock simply because they dislike him and therefore let their confirmation bias kick in.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Free speech isn't a group right, it's an individual right. Who it's for doesn't matter. Erode it for one group, and you erode it for all. A morally bankrupt tactic is always morally bankrupt.

Bluntly I don't think you have an actual coherent thesis nor any meaningful supporting evidence so I'll just leave you with: not every idea ought to be debated, somethings shouldn't be given respect or credibility, opinions can in fact be wrong, and deplatforming works.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Free speech isn't just from the perspective of government and law. Social pressure to silence is equally worrisome. Think about the social pressure towards minorities to be silent, despite their lawful ability to speak up.
Would you not also agree that a thread discussing a topic people might be sensitive about getting filled with "lol you outraged snowflakes" is also a form of social pressure to prevent conversation about that topic from happening?

Oct 27, 2017
People complaining about how "reactionary" this forum is or that Era should have known better are full of shit. I saw this article being reported by other sites before i even opened Era for the day. It spread like wild fire. This isn't an Era thing, this was a media thing. I thought it sounded out of character for The Rock but I didn't think it was blatantly fabricated. This article was a perfect Trojan horse. Completely fake, deceptively divisive, a popular celebrity, and media hungry for clicks without checking their sources. You can't paint this as some sort of spectacular failing unique to Era. This was a best case scenario for fake news, and it needed a lot of moving parts to get this far.

For all those people claiming that they "knew better" because it was a tabloid - where were you before The Rock shot this down? Certainly not in this thread.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This might be my favorite thread ever on this forum. God damn what a turnaround. knee jerk reacting and labeling someone immediately as an anti-christ is not a god look.

pedanticmikey

Dec 19, 2018
Would you not also agree that a thread discussing a topic people might be sensitive about getting filled with "lol you outraged snowflakes" is also a form of social pressure to prevent conversation about that topic from happening?
Absolutely I would! It's an abominable phrase that is incredibly offensive. It's certainly used to silence through shame.

Chuchubabe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): Trolling
This might be my favorite thread ever on this forum. God damn what a turnaround. knee jerk reacting and labeling someone immediately as an anti-christ is not a god look.

thats reset era for you, did people said he was alt right nazi cunt? Just curious cause no way i will read 27 pages of pure era outrage

"looking for a reason to be offended" ... looks at thread ... replies before and after ... yea !!!

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Absolutely I would! It's an abominable phrase that is incredibly offensive. It's certainly used to silence through shame.
Okay, so what confuses me is that your earlier posts seem to overlook this to (as I interpreted your wording) place the focus on the sensitive youth and how their behaviour affects speech. Can you elaborate on this in context of your new statement here?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Lol you guys know there's a ton of places you can go if you find Era too restrictive eh?

On the other hand I have to settle because this is basically the only place that makes any real effort to curb bigotry

pedanticmikey

Dec 19, 2018
Lol you guys know there's a ton of places you can go if you find Era too restrictive eh?

On the other hand I have to settle because this is basically the only place that makes any real effort to curb bigotry
I agree, it's one of the reasons I loved GAF for years, and why I like era.
Okay, so what confuses me is that your earlier posts seem to overlook this to (as I interpreted your wording) place the focus on the sensitive youth and how their behaviour affects speech. Can you elaborate on this in context of your new statement here?
That's my point, is that there's elements of something that ring true for slightly older leftists. I don't necessarily see being sensitive as an objectively negative thing, though. A change as major as this, comparatively to previous generations, will have consequences that are both positive and negative. Being accommodating and understanding of historically oppressed peoples is one of the best parts of it.

But to ignore the downsides of the thing, or even worse, to label and quarantine those on the same side who point it out, feels dangerous. Everyone is familiar with the phrase, "the left eats its own", and as seemingly trite and overused as it is, there is some truth to it.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
So, then how do we move forward from that?

Yes, exactly. If voter suppression is a reality of elections, then isn't that a huge red flag that it's the system itself that is the issue and not the voters?

Part 1) Well it doesn't start with not voting against the white supremacist because the gods told you not to! And acting like Clinton and Trump were equally bad. It also doesn't start with saying you find not voting understandable given the two candidates.

Part 2) It's both.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
thats reset era for you, did people said he was alt right nazi cunt? Just curious cause no way i will read 27 pages of pure era outrage
I don't recall people going that far. There were pot shots especially about his support of the Saudi prince and for mocking someone fornusing "non-masculine" emojis (it has 🤔). And you have your expected "well he was always shit anyway" posts.

Honestly I don't know exactly what people are considering so outrageous in this thread; I keep asking for people to quantify what they consider "outrage" so I can understand how they're parsing between someone actually experiencing a fit of rage and someone just making snide comments yet no one has obliged. I saw a couple threads last night with the word "rumor" in the title with people making similar snide remarks toward the subject of the OP and barely any pushack like in here. The only difference was that those threads weren't specifically revolving around the snowflake thing.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Oh really?

Even when he had the ability to condemn MBS after they slaughtered an innocent journalist for talking shit about MBS and Saudi Kingdom?
He is a piece of shit. There are no excuses when he started getting mad after being called out.

Yup really. You can fuck up without having to wear a Scarlet Letter for life. But like I said your mileage may vary. For me the world isn't either black or white.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i'm just saying it's odd that you'd go after those who were taking issue with the original statement for being reactive - but were confused as to why people agreeing with the statement were being 'corny' according to that other poster. didn't mean to say that you were calling people corny.

I wasnt confused at all. I thought it was stuoid for him to call other people corny for having a different opinion than him in this thread. But i didnt call anyone corny. It was my way of trying to point out how lame that shot was

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Yup really. You can fuck up without having to wear a Scarlet Letter for life. But like I said your mileage may vary. For me the world isn't either black or white.
He had a chance to address it so why didn't he?

Especially when asked about this after MBS had the journalist murdered and the Yemen war that is currently waging because of MBS. He knew all this then why didn't he address it?

It is not black and white. He chose to praise a piece of garbage.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
The original source for this was a British tabloid? That seems like important info that would make this "interview" very suspect before Dwayne spoke up.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I agree, it's one of the reasons I loved GAF for years, and why I like era.

That's my point, is that there's elements of something that ring true for slightly older leftists. I don't necessarily see being sensitive as an objectively negative thing, though. A change as major as this, comparatively to previous generations, will have consequences that are both positive and negative. Being accommodating and understanding of historically oppressed peoples is one of the best parts of it.

But to ignore the downsides of the thing, or even worse, to label and quarantine those on the same side who point it out, feels dangerous. Everyone is familiar with the phrase, "the left eats its own", and as seemingly trite and overused as it is, there is some truth to it.
If I tell someone "Hey this thing you said/did is hurtful to me/x group" and their response is dismissal, they're not on my "side". And most discourse around this subject of sensitivity is little more than dismissal from what I've seen.

There is a discussion to be had around certain topics being sensitive at the moment, and the surrounding atmosphere, and etc. I don't disagree with that. But the onus is not entirely on the sensitive and we need to stop framing it that way.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
People need to stop being reactive to news. Always doubld check before making hot takes and calling for people's head.
I am picturing people in this thread as similar to those mobs in India who kill others based on internet rumors. I guess it is a good thing Era are mostly nerds stuck behind keyboards at home.

While the Resetera reaction likely didn't matter, but people reaching out in social media directly to Rock and his people about the comments helped to correct the issue. Rather than people thinking that Rock is a POS over fabricated interview and people getting a validation for their shitty views by influential celebrity, the truth came out. If everyone was just silent about it, it might have not ever be corrected and the article would still be up for people to read.
If everyone was being silent about it, that would probably mean that nobody is reading it or believes it. Non-reaction does actually mean something when it comes to the not spreading certain news and the uploader not generating ed revenue.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I am picturing people in this thread as similar to those mobs in India who kill others based on internet rumors. I guess it is a good thing Era are mostly nerds stuck behind keyboards at home.

I'm genuinely concerned for your mental wellbeing when you're equating people saying "Hey that was a dumbass thing for this guy to say" with a literal murderous mob. Talk about fucking outrage culture, jesus.

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017

If everyone was being silent about it, that would probably mean that nobody is reading it or believes it. Non-reaction does actually mean something when it comes to the not spreading certain news and the uploader not generating ed revenue.
You might genuinely be a psycho.

Status
Not open for further replies.