• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

Retired NBA star Dwayne Wade opened up about supporting his LGBTQ child Zion in a recent episode of sports podcast "All The Smoke."

"I've watched my son, from day one, become into who she now eventually has come into," he said. "Nothing changes with my love, nothing changes with my responsibilities."

The former Miami Heat player has previously spoken out in support of his 12-year-old, but Thursday's interview was perhaps the first time he publicly referred to Zion using both male and female pronouns.

Wade did not specify his child's gender identity or sexual orientation, saying that would be his child's message to share with the world, though he did speak of Zion as being part of the LGBTQ community.

"I had to look myself in the mirror and say, 'What if your son comes home and tells you he's gay? What are you going to do?'" he said. "We want them to be whoever they feel they can be in this world; that's our goal."

During the "All The Smoke" interview, Wade also talked about his experience facing cyberbullying over his embrace of his child.

"While you're trying to go down that process, this is what's going to come at you," he said. "It's going to be a lot of negativity, it's going to be a lot of hate. And it's not even for my son's sexuality, it's about being a young black man."

"One thing I gotta do now is get smarter and educate myself more," Wade said.
www.out.com

Dwyane Wade Reveals 12-Year-Old Child Will Now Go By Zaya

The basketball star gave a master class in being a supportive parent to a queer or trans child in his recent 'Ellen' interview

Absolutely groundbreaking moment for the black community and a much needed celebrity/athlete voice to give affirmation.

Last edited:

Deleted member 62561

Dec 31, 2019
Dwyane Wade might be my favorite straight person.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
this is really huge in terms of acceptance. they will face backlash from morons but good on them for being supportive and doing what's right. =)

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
sade also has a trans child. its good to see more acceptance of lgbtq people from notable black people

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
So great to see they are so supportive, and can help provide an example of how parents can be better supporters of their children. This is great, great, great!

Oct 26, 2017
Zaya is a great name.

"One thing I gotta do now is get smarter and educate myself more," Wade said.
Words of wisdom for everyone. He seems like a great guy, and they seem like a great family. I mean...you surely have to be a great family for a child to be that comfortable, at that age, to come out to them about all of this. Wish Zaya the best.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
an important moment for the black community, for their icons to be supportive. helps counter the toxicity against LGBTQ communities

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of those days where you smile and decide not to read any hashtags or comments.

You love to see it.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy for Zaya. I'm glald Dwade and his family are supportive. He seems like a great guy.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Zaya is a great name.

Words of wisdom for everyone. He seems like a great guy, and they seem like a great family. I mean...you surely have to be a great family for a child to be that comfortable, at that age, to come out to them about all of this. Wish Zaya the best.

Shame half the bitter losers responding on twitter won't be doing that.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
And this is why intersectionality matters and anyone who handwaves it or just gives it lip service I don't have time for.

His language isn't perfect but he's so ahead of most I'll give it a pass this time.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
D wade and Gabby have been so supportive of Zaya it's really exemplary and i hope this story warms peoples hearts and souls. This is the support we need to see in our black and black lgbt community and all communities especially someone so high profile in sports. Really made my day personally

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is great, the more famous people show open support the better it is for the goal of fuller acceptance of LGBTQ+ among communities.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
What a dope father and what a dope name

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Beautiful to see. Someone young discovering themselves and being given the space to do so by great parents.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Glad he's supportive of his daughter.

Just do yourself a favor and don't read the comments, it's what you expect from assholes.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
D-Wade is a class act, so is his wife. BRAVO. As a parent and a Gen-Xer I can imagine it wasn't something as easy as flipping a switch for them, knowing the bigotry that exists out in the world as well as the miss conceptions ingrained on us for decades. Hopefully the platform provided to him by his career allows his daughter to move forward with her life the best way possible.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good on you, Dwayne and Gabrielle

Did not know he was married to Gabrielle Union

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
What a wonderful family- very happy for Zaya. Good on Dwyane and Gabrielle for setting an important example, as well.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Damn imagine being that smart at 12. I definitely wasn't haha, I'm just learning to be myself at 27.

That's some A+ parenting. I love it.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Pains me to read and hear the mockery and shaming Wade and Gabby are receiving. But it puts it into perspective that it's only a fraction of the pain trans people deal with on the daily. Just have to continue to offer support.