• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 24, 2019
Avengers
Iron Man VR

Any others we're missing?

Ori & The Will of the Wisps, Vampire: The Masquerade — Bloodlines 2, Watch Dogs Legion, Rainbox Six: Quarantine, Gods & Monsters.

Animal Crossing, DOOM, and Dreams also only have their current dates because of delays from 2019 so I'll toss those in too.

Last edited:

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Just let me keep RE3 Remake for this quarter and we good. I'm already preparing myself for the potential HL: Alyx delay to soften the blow.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I knew that this was going to happen simply by the fact that in January it didn't even have a firm release month.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At this point, I can't even remember why the first half of 2020 was supposed to be so incredible for gaming. It feels like everything I wanted has been delayed. Ugh.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
Gives me more time to save up so I can potentially upgrade my pc. Still unfortunate though as I played through Dying Light a couple months ago

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
It happens, but this one is kinda annoying because I still don't think we've been shown enough in the meantime, especially since Avellone's appearance at E3 2018.

Last year's walkthrough vid didn't play enough to the open world choice and consequences, nor the series' strengths.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
Man, this was going to be one of the bright spots to start the year for me. At least Ori is still coming.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
Even though AAA game development is really hard, I'm sure these delays are related to the new console generation, to some extent at least.

These delays will allow the new systems to have a wider catalog at launch (even if they're offset by a few months) and developers are also having some time to implement next gen features into them.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
What's the alternative?

I mean I'm not for crunch but as a consumer you'd rather buy an unfinished and broken product with the promise of it being fixed later?
Not even as a consumer. I don't think no one, not the publisher, not the developers are interested in shipping an unfinished product (although there are examples of poor publishers who truly didn't give a crap and forced a rushed released). This is also why I had issues with Jason's somewhat onesided article that on the one hand explicitly say delays aren't good, which is true, and implicitly says games should ship with little or no delay.

I personally think delays, depending on the time frame, is because of either mismanagement or unforeseeable problems (or in this specific year, the new consoles? who knows). However, in any case you can't go back in time and fix this; you can only fix this by delaying your product. There's no alternative once the damage is done because no one has a magic button that's pressed to polish and finish your product.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
dying-light-2-rtx.jpg

It hurts. Was really looking forward to seeing this.

ViviFF9

Banned
Dec 13, 2019
There were rumors Microsoft was interested in purchasing a Polish studio and some people think it's Techland. I think it's a much smaller studio.

Oh okay, even if MS were thinking about purchasing them they're already shown in the past they don't mind their current projects to release on other platforms. Unless next-gen coming up has changed that.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
I hope this is indicative of studios taking a hard look at their timelines and future games given longer development times. Seems like we needed a few horror stories revealed before companies felt threatened to get their acts together.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Weirdest part is that they don't even have tentative date anymore . Maybe it will launch cross gen at the same time ?

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Maybe they will focus more on zombies since they figured out how boring is fight vs humans in DL and DL2 (from what we saw).

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I wonder if that hint at next gen being a bit more difficult to develop on than expected. I can wait anyways.

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
Doesn't surprise me in a way. They've been very stingy with updates, hints for a game that was supposed to be in Spring 2020 release.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Cool. Gives me time to finish the first one (and maybe play The Following, too).

Everybody just chill and take your time cooking these buns. Not like we're gonna be want for decent games in 2020.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The first game relit my love for gaming and I expect DL2 to be incredible. I much prefer that devs delay games instead of releasing them early and fixing them after launch.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very disappointing.. but makes me wonder if this could be due to next gen consoles some how? Or maybe MS buying them? Who knows?

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Third game I was really looking forward to delayed. This actually helps me because I had four games I was really looking forward to all coming out around the same time so most likely a few would have ended up with me not playing them (even if I try to play multiple games at once usually what happens is whichever one pulls me most gets my full attention).

Soviet

Oct 28, 2017
Can't start a new topic, but that's what one of the people involved in production had to say about Dying Light 2:

It's a total fucking mess. Story direction, gameplay direction, constantly changing gameplay fundamentals. Morale is down because they [the managemen] have absolutely no idea what they're doing. Disorganization on the highest levels is quite pathetic, it's still unclear what the game is supposed to be. A year before the release other teams are worried about fixing bugs. We don't even have a vertical slice!

A lot more about various troubles, crunch, toxicity and mismenagment in (Polish) article: https://polskigamedev.pl/dying-light-2-totalna-rozsypka-vs-tak-sie-robi-gry/ , including Chris Avellone's story being edited to hell and not really working in open world. Also, a lot of doubts the game will come out in 2020.