• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Naero4U.png

After over twenty-two years, I decided to end my cooperation with Techland. I want to express my gratitude to the company that has allowed me to develop and fulfill myself for half of my life. Techland, I will always be rooting for you, as well as the great people I have met, thanks to you. I wish you that Dying light 2 and subsequent projects will become world hits. Goodbye, and good luck!

This, along with the many rumors the game has been going through a lot of development issues, does not give me a lot of confidence for it.

www.linkedin.com

Pawel Selinger on LinkedIn: After over twenty-two years, I decided to end my cooperation with… | 19 comments

After over twenty-two years, I decided to end my cooperation with Techland. I would like to express my gratitude to the company that has allowed me to develop… | 19 comments on LinkedIn

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
why is this game so cursed? I hope they can get back on track with this

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
This or dead island 2, which will come first? (assuming they're released to begin with)

Raigor

May 14, 2020
22 years at the same company that's something indeed.

Don't know what to think, DL2 was really ambitious but I guess Techland was not ready to tackle something like that, we will see how the game will turn out (assuming it was not cancelled)

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
It was probably too ambitious of a project. I hope we get to see it one day.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
why is this game so cursed? I hope they can get back on track with this

Depending on what rumors you chose to believe, it was a project that got way too big in its scope and had several competing visions at the top that couldn't reconcile. Who knows how true that is in the end, though.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Uhm...was he really writing Dying Light 2 tho? He started to work on something in February 2019 as "writer" while DL2 has been in development since 2015.

Was he working on the previously announced new AAA RPG title?

--R

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
Yellow warning flag has been upgraded to red. Their ambitious changing storyline element will either be toned down or gone with the final product.

OP
OP
--R

--R

Oct 25, 2017
Uhm...was he really writing Dying Light 2 tho? He started to work on something in February 2019 as "writer" while DL2 has been in development since 2015.

Was he working on the previously announced new AAA RPG title?

--R

Using the same title I got from here.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope the games as fun as the first, don't care about all these writers and story issues when the first games narrative was abysmal. Hope the game comes sometime this year though...

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
End my cooperation sounds odd. Why not just say my work on the project is finished, otherwise why leave now?

Dec 23, 2017
This game is never coming out, is it?

I don't mind sticking to the first Dying Light if they keep supporting it.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Using the same title I got from here.

I see, but i think they are wrong.

Chris Avellone and Karolina Stachyra were/are the Lead Narrative Designers and they have been working since 2015 for the former and 2016 for the latter.

Pawel is not even mentioned as "LEAD WRITER" only "Writer" and he started in February 2019 until December 2020.

I highly doubt he is Dying Light 2 lead writer tho, Techland has another game in development as well on top of DL2 for example

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I never thought the whole "modern medieval zombie game" premise was good, the should have just tried to make a bigger and better sequel

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I never thought the whole "modern medieval zombie game" premise was good, the should have just tried to make a bigger and better sequel

They literally made a bigger sequel with branching stories and paths, it's way more of what were people expecting to be honest.

Where did you get the "modern medieval zombie game" from? If you are talking about Hellraid, that's another project which was canned at first and turned into a DLC for Dying Light which is funny, because Hellraid was supposed to be a Dead Island DLC but they wanted to make a proper game instead, but things went south and it turned out into a DLC for Dying Light

OP
OP
--R

--R

Oct 25, 2017
I see, but i think they are wrong.

Chris Avellone and Karolina Stachyra were/are the Lead Narrative Designers and they have been working since 2015 for the former and 2016 for the latter.

Pawel is not even mentioned as "LEAD WRITER" only "Writer" and he started in February 2019 until December 2020.

I highly doubt he is Dying Light 2 lead writer tho, Techland has another game in development as well on top of DL2 for example

That's fair, yeah. Don't know what to edit, then. Rumors were than Avellone was doing less and less during 2019-20 before he got kicked, so idk really.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Both this and Bloodlines 2, crazy how they have seemingly fallen apart after such promising initial reveals

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I want this game to be good so bad. Dying Light 1 is so fucking good, and if it had a good story it would have been a top 10 game of the gen for me. So much potential here.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't it be pretty much written by now? It sucks for their future titles but its hard to imagine a portion like this isn't mostly done.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
They literally made a bigger sequel with branching stories and paths, it's way more of what were people expecting to be honest.

Where did you get the "modern medieval zombie game" from? If you are talking about Hellraid, that's another project which was canned at first and turned into a DLC for Dying Light which is funny, because Hellraid was supposed to be a Dead Island DLC but they wanted to make a proper game instead, but things went south and it turned out into a DLC for Dying Light

The first game was a hit because of excellent gameplay and atmosphere. Why try branching stories and paths instead of giving more of what we liked in the first ?

Anyway,the lead writer might have done his job in the writing department,so this doesn't mean much

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Both this and Bloodlines 2, crazy how they have seemingly fallen apart after such promising initial reveals

They were/are tying to pull something special, but i think a lack of expertise and not having enough people on the project, last numbers we had was like 350 devs working on this and a new AAA is going to hurt them a lot. They got too cocky after Dying Light success

The first game was a hit because of excellent gameplay and atmosphere. Why try branching stories and paths instead of giving more of what we liked in the first ?

The first game was criticized for story and lame characters and they wanted to fix this by hiring CDPR writer and Chris Avellone, that's why they turned the game into an RPG with choice and consequences.

Jake2byFour

Oct 28, 2017
In the next couple of weeks it will be 6 yrs since the first one came out. This game is never seeing the light of day

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't it be pretty much written by now? It sucks for their future titles but its hard to imagine a portion like this isn't mostly done.
I'm sure a ton of writing was done, and then re-done, and then re-done, and then re-done. It's the writers' jobs to react to the changing state of the game and update the narrative components accordingly. With the game likely far from being finished, the writing is also likely far from being finished.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

The whole faction system and aesthetics are meant to be medieval themed in a modern context. Even the human combat involves blades and shields as knight would fight in a first person WRPG

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Whatever ends up being released will be a shadow of the first game. First Dead Island, and now Dying Light. There must be a curse.

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
Dying Light is one my favorite games of the last generation, so sad to see the sequel going through development hell. I hope everything turns out fine for the devs

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Two of my most-wanted games for a few years now, and yeah, I'm very apprehensive about both of them. My gut tells me that in both cases, the writing was too ambitious for the game that needed to be built around it, and the respective final products will have a significantly reduced scope and a lot of cut content. I hope I am wrong, but it feels like that's what is happening.