• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

doops.

Jun 3, 2020

As many fans know, Dying Light 2 was designed as a game with only melee weapons in mind. It didn't take long for the community to voice its desire for firearms, however, and Techland would confirm that it was working on this addition thereafter. As described by franchise director Tymon Smektala, it was quite a challenge in terms of worldbuilding because firearms were effectively removed from the game world, and it meant this update needed a narrative direction, not just a gameplay one. The wait seems like it'll be worth it, however.
That's not all, though. This update brings in a lot of new content for solo and co-op players, as well as a few surprises for fans of Dying Light 1. The update also improves visuals like vegetation, skyboxes, and zombie faces, and combined with everything else yet to be revealed, Smektala describes this update as the biggest yet for the game. Because of this, Smektala also confirmed a delay for Dying Light 2's Nightmare mode and Tower Raids so Techland can continue to refine these features. Notably, Techland sees this update as a celebration of Dying Light 2's second anniversary, and fans should keep an eye on the Pilgrim Outpost for these celebrations as well.

The update will also come with a new purchasable edition:

Dying Light 2 Stay Human - Reloaded Edition

• Release Date: February 22
  • Includes all previously released content, including Bloody Ties, and the Firearms Update
  • Promises new content for solo and co-op players, surprises for Fans of DL1
  • Improvements to the game's visuals
  • It's the biggest update yet
  • Second Anniversary celebrations via Pilgrim Outpost
  • A Delay for Dying Light 2's Nightmare Mode and Tower Raids

Jun 1, 2021
Always had this in the back of my mind to buy. Busy few weeks game wise but I'll be interested at some point for sure.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
I have finally been working through this game over the past month. It really has come a long way since launch and the Dev support is outstanding as it was with the first game.

Also, it's a pretty fantastic game! The first 1/4 was pretty slow and I felt underpowered, but once you start skilling up, aligning with one of the factions and get in the groove and systems of the game, it feels pretty great.

Looking forward to see what this update brings!

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Really need to get back to this game. I stopped playing very early due to other games I wanted to play more, but never went back. I've seen some of the updates and they have made some really big changes, so I think it's time I finally go back and finish it, once this next update hits.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
Having finished the main story only recently, I am really looking forward to this update. It's great to see that they are implementing more lore to explain why there are guns again. Although I definitely prefer melee combat, more variation in playstyles is always good.

That said, would love to play this with other people.

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
I'll go back for sure.

I was a huge fan of DL1, DL2 got boring quickly for me though and I did miss the guns.

Broadbandit

Oct 29, 2017
man if they went ahead and made the co op playable where every one gets credit for everything... that would be great.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
It feels like I get a Steam notification about this title going on sale every month or so, and the sales always seem to be 50% or more. I still haven't bitten due to the game not seeming to be quite what I was looking for after the first one, but this continued support is encouraging and could end up pushing me over the edge at some point.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Like many others, I picked up but dropped off DL2.

I loved DL1 and its DLC. It was among my favourite games that generation but I just didn't vibe with DL2 and I couldn't tell you why.

The support it's had since and the size of some of the QoL and content drops is very encouraging and I'm keen to give it another shot.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finished it on release, was fun enough, but was definitely a junk food game like ubisoft games with which I just zone out. Has gameplay been significantly improved since release since certain gameplay elements weren't as fluid/quick as DL1 iirc.

Oct 28, 2017
I played a lot close to release and thought the game was just OK. Haven't touched it since they added all of these updates. I may have to reinstall and check it out.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Will be interesting to see how this update pans out, since ranged weapons have never been a strong suit in this series. I honestly get the feeling Techland are listening a bit tooooo much to their player base, and they've added so much wacky crap in DL2 over time (alongside some genuinely great improvements, mind you). I honestly liked the more straight-faced but barren original version of DL2 in many ways, despite some hard shortcomings compared to the first game.

Last edited:

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I just picked it up during a Valentines sale for $20 and was planning to jump in soon, so this is excellent timing.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
They need to find a way to update the atmosphere.

I played Dead Island 2 for the free weekend and it continuously kept being more atmospheric, immersive, and interesting despite the goofy tone and premise. (Of course both of these are a long way from the first Dying Light).

In comparison, DL2 is a drag with nothing exciting or scary ever happening.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I've had this downloaded for months but haven't started it yet. Sounds like I should jump in soon.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
It's actually kinda great that single player game releases are kinda slow right now, I'm finally getting to my backlog. Hearing the good things in here, this just made the list

netguy503

Nov 15, 2017
This was my last Best Buy GCU game ( Lego Skywalker Saga was second to last- I ordered both in advance of the shut down and Best Buy honored both). Miss that program to this day.

I also think a $10 cert came with this game f you bought it at BBY so that was extra nice.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
The guns were one or the worst parts of Dying Light 1. I had a issues with the sequel, but a lack of guns was not one of them.

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022
Doesn't the Ultimate Edition say we were supposed to get 2 story DLCs? The game has been out for 2 years when is this being delivered to us? It's absurd.