• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So you're running with the vindictive women narrative?
Narrative? We have actual quotes from Woody and Moses (that Mia never, to my knowledge, denied) suggesting it's a possibility.

The only narrative I've ever suggested is that we don't have all the details, the break up was uber messy, and that there's a lot of misinformation being spread in this and other threads on the matter that results in people jumping to conclusions and casting judgment without facts. Do you disagree with this?

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Narrative? We have actual quotes from Woody and Moses (that Mia never, to my knowledge, denied) suggesting it's a possibility.

The only narrative I've ever suggested is that we don't have all the details, the break up was uber messy, and that there's a lot of misinformation being spread in this and other threads on the matter that results in people jumping to conclusions and casting judgment without facts. Do you disagree with this?
But lesser charges have resulted in condemnation already. Are you really surprised?

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Even taking what they said for truth, he didn't "put his finger in her asshole with suntan lotion" so that is being misrepresented.
Here is the exact quotes about this.
"One summer day in Connecticut, when Dylan was four and Woody was applying suntan lotion to her nude body, he alarmed Mia's mother, actress Maureen O'Sullivan, and sister Tisa Farrow when he began rubbing his finger in the crack between her buttocks. Mia grabbed the lotion out of his hand, and O'Sullivan asked, "How do you want to be remembered by your children?" "As a good father," Woody answered. "Well, that's interesting," O'Sullivan replied. "It only lasted a few seconds, but it was definitely weird," says Tisa Farrow.
Wow.

Probably not a great thing to split hairs about...

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Use Warned For: Downplaying Sexual Assault.
Wow.

Probably not a great thing to split hairs about...
There is a big difference on quoting "he put his fingers in her asshole!" which can lead people to think he was fingering her asshole, and what actually happened. If your going to make argument using this event, at least represent it correctly is all I am saying.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Even taking what they said for truth, he didn't "put his finger in her asshole with suntan lotion" so that is being misrepresented.
Here is the exact quotes about this.
"One summer day in Connecticut, when Dylan was four and Woody was applying suntan lotion to her nude body, he alarmed Mia's mother, actress Maureen O'Sullivan, and sister Tisa Farrow when he began rubbing his finger in the crack between her buttocks. Mia grabbed the lotion out of his hand, and O'Sullivan asked, "How do you want to be remembered by your children?" "As a good father," Woody answered. "Well, that's interesting," O'Sullivan replied. "It only lasted a few seconds, but it was definitely weird," says Tisa Farrow.

How on earth could this ever be considered normal behavior? Why is his hand down the pants of a four year old? I just don't even know what's going on in this thread anymore.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
There is a big difference on quoting "he put his fingers in her asshole!" which can lead people to think he was fingering her asshole, and what actually happened. If your going to make argument using this event, at least represent it correctly is all I am saying.
ApprehensiveUnhealthyElephantseal-size_restricted.gif

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
How on earth could this ever be considered normal behavior? Why is his hand down the pants of a four year old? I just don't even know what's going on in this thread anymore.
I am just correcting the accusation is all. She was already naked, which apparently wasn't odd to anyone else at the house at the time (im guessing they were at the beach)?

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe that Woody Allen, a man who married his daughter, could be capable of such things!

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who rubs a finger in the crack between a children' buttocks??

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Who rubs a finger in the crack between a children' buttocks??
Reading the full quote, the claim seems to be that they were on vacation, she was 4 years old, and was running naked on the beach. He proceeded to pull her aside and rub lotion all over her body, including on her butt. Mia's mom and sister brought it up as being weird.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
He didn't have his hand down her pants.
There are people ITT splitting hairs about exactly how Allen molested his daughter on a specific incident, as though the way they're describing softens or mitigates the abuse.

What in the fuck is even happening right now.

Ya'll motherfuckers are exposing yourselves.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There are people ITT splitting hairs about exactly how Allen molested his daughter on a specific incident, as though the way they're describing softens or mitigates the abuse.

He didn't molest her in this instance. She's running on the beach naked, and he put lotion on her body. What the fuck are you on about? Even the witnesses didn't refer to it as molestation.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care for his reputation, I care about people not spreading misinformation. Again, I'm not a Woody Allen fan, but people should be able to keep facts separate from the bullshit. In regards to all situations, not just this one.

Just wanted to chime in and say that if this were a less sensitive topic, you most likely wouldn't get piled on and have everyone ignoring your points. A lot of posters on Era feel so strongly about emotional cases like this that they will not want to admit room for doubt, they will just want to take a stand, whereas if it were one of those mysterious unsolved crimes from decades ago, you'd have people looking at all sides of the story because it couldn't be misconstrued as them "defending" a type of person they hate with a passion. I understand why you're doing this, but the people you're arguing with will never be convinced that maybe it is murky, and the next thread about Woody Allen that pops up, you'd have to start all over again, and if you were to do that, that would make you look even more like you're defending a pedophile.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Some men are really eager to defend that kind of actions, not because they want to defend the person who commited it but they want to defend the action itself. Some men really don't want to think marrying your daughter is wrong, I wonder why...

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Just wanted to chime in and say that if this were a less sensitive topic, you most likely wouldn't get piled on and have everyone ignoring your points. A lot of posters on Era feel so strongly about emotional cases like this that they will not want to admit room for doubt, they will just want to take a stand, whereas if it were one of those mysterious unsolved crimes from decades ago, you'd have people looking at all sides of the story because it couldn't be misconstrued as them "defending" a type of person they hate with a passion. I understand why you're doing this, but the people you're arguing with will never be convinced that maybe it is murky, and the next thread about Woody Allen that pops up, you'd have to start all over again, and if you were to do that, that would make you look even more like you're defending a pedophile.
I understand what you mean, but the other alternative is to allow misinformation to spread, for context to be lost, and people to just angrily agree that the accused should be jailed or executed without proof.
Some men are really eager to defend that kind of actions, not because they want to defend the person who commited it but they wand to defend the action itself. Some men really don't want to think marrying your daughter is wrong, I wonder why...
...as evidenced here, people keep parroting the same misinformation. Not his daughter, adopted or otherwise.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017

I know this sounds weird, but its not as weird as it sounds. I have a brother who lives a very "alternative" lifestyle down south (as in has a micro farm, gets most of his food from the farm, does cow sharing, homeschools, etc) and they have let their child run around naked when she was that young. And it would not surprise me that if it was sunny that they would apply suntan lotion to her entire body, yes including between her ass cheeks. Does that mean he molested her? Do I think my brother and sister in law molested my niece? Of course not.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
and people to just angrily agree that the accused should be jailed or executed without proof.
Why do you care so much about what randos on internet say about a rich white man? It's not like he will be jailed or executed because people said so.

And it would not surprise me that if it was sunny that they would apply suntan lotion to her entire body, yes including between her ass cheeks.

Ask them

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
read the excerpt that he was kneeling down near her with his head on her lap and her tutor noticed she didn't have underwear on. this guy is fucking sick

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Some men are really eager to defend that kind of actions, not because they want to defend the person who commited it but they want to defend the action itself. Some men really don't want to think marrying your daughter is wrong, I wonder why...
Some men want to keep stating false information, which has been proven over and over again to be a mischaracterization of what happened with her, I wonder why....

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like that you don't let actual facts get in the way of your rant.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
read the excerpt that he was kneeling down near her legs and her tutor noticed she didn't have underwear on. this guy is fucking sick
This is the impetus for the trial, and was unproven. He has spent twenty five years denying this and other accusations entirely.
Why do you care so much about what randos on internet say about a rich white man? It's not like he will be jailed or executed because people said so.
Using this logic, why do we discuss anuthing on here?

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Looked through his page on IMDB and I actually have not seen one single movie he has made. I've heard his name randomly on forums though. Guy seems to have been mentioned a lot regarding this over the years...?

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Reading the full quote, the claim seems to be that they were on vacation, she was 4 years old, and was running naked on the beach. He proceeded to pull her aside and rub lotion all over her body, including on her butt. Mia's mom and sister brought it up as being weird.
You just downplayed that quote so hard. "Including on her butt" isn't the same as a finger in her crack :/

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
read the excerpt that he was kneeling down near her with his head on her lap and her tutor noticed she didn't have underwear on. this guy is fucking sick
From another account:
Thompson said that the next day Kristie Groteke, Dylan's baby-sitter, drove her to the bus, and her fellow employee was "very upset."

"She told me that she felt guilty allowing Ms. Farrow to say those things about Mr. Allen. (Groteke) said the day Mr. Allen spent with the kids, she did not have Dylan out of her sight for longer than five minutes. She did not remember Dylan being without her underwear."

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Colin Firth is the latest actor to publicly rebuke Woody Allen, telling the Guardian he won't do any projects with the director in the future.

"I wouldn't work with him again," Firth said in response to the Guardian's inquiry on Thursday, the same day Dylan Farrow gave her first televised interview accusing her adopted father of sexually assaulting her when she was seven years old.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jan/18/colin-firth-woody-allen-accusations-film

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
"Guys I'm not going to defend Allen but please read these spirited words in his defense made by the disgraced former prosecutor responsible for the Central Park Five prosecution and notorious for prosecutorial misconduct."

Keep sinking to new lows, guys.
I had no idea she was responsible for the Central Park Five thing, wow. But speaking of reaching for lows, it's not really cool to completely twist the words and intent of my post. There isn't anything new to say other than what Moses wrote, and it felt gauche to respond to the sight of Dylan crying with a "spirited defense," which I did not and will not offer, as I said. Maybe you could try taking me at my word?

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea she was responsible for the Central Park Five thing, wow. But speaking of reaching for lows, it's not really cool to completely twist the words and intent of my post. There isn't anything new to say other than what Moses wrote, and it felt gauche to respond to the sight of Dylan crying with a "spirited defense," which I did not and will not offer, as I said. Maybe you could try taking me at my word?

"I'm defending an alleged child molestor but really, trust me I'm a good guy"

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay... Well, I posted a lengthy compendium of information countering the molestation claims and clearing up details w/r/t Soon-Yi in previous threads because it's exhausting seeing people pat themselves on the back for having easy quick-takes.

But I'm not going to do it again here - the thread is about Dylan showing her face and using her voice and she deserves to have this moment where we focus on that. It's an act of bravery that I will never be able to fathom. And at best, the most spirited defense of Woody is simply, "we will never know," and I'm not about to go to bat against someone who just went through reliving traumatic emotions on national TV in order to defend the guy who has so frequently made clear his pre-existing fascination with young "barely legal" girls -- in his life, in his words, and in his work.

I do think Moses Farrow's recent words about the state of the household at the time add a lot of important context at a minimum, and the words from Linda Fairstein (sex crime investigator) that accompany them are worth a look for those weighing both sides. Intellectually, I think I'll always have doubt, but emotionally, I feel horrible for her. And I really don't want to watch movies like Manhattan ever again. ...Not that I'm sure I was the one being called out here. Anyway, here's Fairstein:

Other than that, there's no timely reason to start piping up on Woody's behalf in this thread that I can see. It's not like there's new information to really work with here. I hope Dylan finds peace and feels the love and support she needs while she airs all this out publicly.

How many times do I need to say I am not and will not be doing that for you? Five? We're up to two.

What do you think "countering the molestation claims" means then?

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
What do you think "countering the molestation claims" means then?
What do you think "not doing it here" means? Did you read the post I am referring to where the conclusion was "that's what the other side is saying, I don't know what to think; it put a major stink on him?" Probably not since I didn't go through it here, as I said I wouldn't. And I don't want to. It's exhausting getting into the nuance of the old details and it doesn't feel relevant. You seem convinced I believe he is innocent. I do not. I'm a former fan who knows all these details because it was a huge news story at the time and remember where it left off was inconclusive.

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you think "not doing it here" means? Did you read the post I am referring to where the conclusion was "that's what the other side is saying, I don't know what to think; it put a major stink on him?" Probably not since I didn't go through it here, as I said I wouldn't. And I don't want to. It's exhausting getting into the nuance of the old details and it doesn't feel relevant. You seem convinced I believe he is innocent. I do not. I'm a former fan who knows all these details because it was a huge news story at the time and remember where it left off was inconclusive.

If you weren't interested in making those same arguments you did not need to bring them up at all, yet you felt the need to link the Alec Baldwin thread where you did just that an even that was a call back to your defense of Woody Allen in a thread previous to that one. So far from sounding like a former fan, you sound like someone who is only interested in telling us all we're wrong and woodys a stand up guy. Sorry that I'm confused when you're talking out of both sides of your mouth.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
If you weren't interested in making those same arguments you did not need to bring them up at all, yet you felt the need to link the Alec Baldwin thread where you did just that an even that was a call back to your defense of Woody Allen in a thread previous to that one. So far from sounding like a former fan, you sound like someone who is only interested in telling us all we're wrong and woodys a stand up guy. Sorry that I'm confused when you're talking out of both sides of your mouth.
I think you're confused because you're forgetting the post I was replying to. It was "hey people who posted on Woody's behalf, come in here and respond to this new bombshell!" My response was essentially: "Well, I posted what the other side is saying, not that I really came to conclusions about it, but if you're talking to me: I don't have anything new to offer; that's an intense interview and I feel bad for Dylan. The only news I know about since the old post is this Moses article."

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm honestly kinda surprised this guy has a defense force, not only because of the accusations but because:

im 30 years old and have seen a broad spectrum of movies, but I have never seen a Woody Allen movie, discussed a Woody Allen movie with anyone, or even recall Woody Allen movies being the subject of much oscar buzz

i read in this thread he's the greatest writer/director to grace hollywood ever or some shit and im just like, where is this coming from? it's beyond me... but anyways, I have quickly and effortlessly decided I will never watch a Woody Allen movie

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When people say they hate his movies or he's a bad filmmaker, what films are they talking about? I haven't seen a Woody Allen film since Manhattan Murder Mystery in 1993, but Annie Hall is brilliant, and many of his older films are very good, and some of the newer films are well-reviewed and award-winning. Some of the comedies haven't aged well, although all of them have some hilarious moments. Chinatown is an indisputable masterpiece, but it's okay to hate Roman Polanski at the same time.

...Uh...this is a weird post. I get you're having a "separate the artist from their work" thing here, which even then is debatable to many, but I dunno. Seems to be going more into the movies then the actions of the man, y'know?

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you're confused because you're forgetting the post I was replying to. It was "hey people who posted on Woody's behalf, come in here and respond to this new bombshell!" My response was essentially: "Well, I posted what the other side is saying, not that I really came to conclusions about it, but if you're talking to me: I don't have anything new to offer; that's an intense interview and I feel bad for Dylan. The only news I know about since the old post is this Moses article."

Lol I'm not actually confused at all. I was doing a wink and nod like you are with your defense of Allen. Just own what you are doing instead of using careful wording to appear less like you're defending him while defending him.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
right. He's married to the adopted daughter of his ex-partner.

That's much better.
I mean its better to be honest with your argument if your going to bring her up. "He started dating (and has now been married to for over 20 years) his ex gf's adopted daughter (whom he effectively no contact with until then) when she was 19/21.

It still sounds sleezy, but its actually a description of what happened, instead of saying "He married his daughter" or "Stepdaughter".