• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Ill be picking it up....again. Surprised they didnt let us preload.

Im sure the game would run fine on the Switch. If anything, like other musou's on the Switch enemy draw distance might be shorter. Not a huge deal.

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would you suggest this or orochi?

If you don't mind another take on it-

This is a tough one for me! Warriors Orochi 4 is not as good as Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate (which is on Switch, but only in Japan) was, but it's still an amazing game and the draw of having a massive number of characters to unlock and use, combined with the three-man team system, makes it a blast to play. You can't go wrong with either game. One thing about DW8 on Switch is that it does include all of the extra DLC content, which is a big plus.

I wish they'd localize Orochi 3 Ultimate too- like DW8, it has all the content included and looks/runs great on the Switch.

Last edited:

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't mind another take on it-

This is a tough one for me! Warriors Orochi 4 is not as good as Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate (which is on Switch, but only in Japan) was, but it's still an amazing game and the draw of having a massive number of characters to unlock and use, combined with the three-man team system, makes it a blast to play. You can't go wrong with either game. One thing about DW8 on Switch is that it does include all of the extra DLC content, which is a big plus.

I wish they'd localize Orochi 3 Ultimate too- like DW8, it has all the content included and looks/runs great on the Switch.

WO4 if a good game thats held back by its lack of content. Like someone already said, once your done the story mode...there really isnt any incentive to go back unless you want to unlock some legendary weapons for your fave characters by replaying levels.

I dont think the west is going to get WO3U at all at this point. 4 is still "fresh" and releasing content via their season pass. I think if we were going to get 3U we would have seen it before they announced 4.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Orochi has no side content.........just a story mode. It's still got camp upgrades and side stories, but everything is based around that mode.

In DW8 you get to pick a character you like and in ambition mode start off with a tiny outpost as it slowly gets bigger after doing fights. You can also upgrade each facility to give you more items, weapons and so on as you try to impress Emperor Xian and get him to visit. Showing him that you can create a giant social space for peasants.
Great now I want this. I mainly played the themed spinoffs previously(loved few and pw3, disliked hw) and orichi 3 on my wiiu... only problem is how big is it? I'm tight on sd card space right now... although I have something to beat and delete, oh and I'm ready to break from pw3 for a while so I guess I could delete that for now

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Great now I want this. I mainly played the themed spinoffs previously(loved few and pw3, disliked hw) and orichi 3 on my wiiu... only problem is how big is it? I'm tight on sd card space right now... although I have something to beat and delete, oh and I'm ready to break from pw3 for a while so I guess I could delete that for now

don't have access to the eshop atm but i think it was roughly 16GB

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this is interesting- just booted the game up and it started giving me bonus gold for having other musou game save data. One of the messages said "Save data for WARRIORS OROCHI 3: Ultimate has been detected."

Very well could mean nothing, but that's the first time I can remember the U.S. version of a Koei Switch game detecting the sava data for a Japanese game and listing its name in English like that.

It also says you can get more data if you have a save for DW8 Empires and Spirit Of Sanada. Hmm...

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
So this is interesting- just booted the game up and it started giving me bonus gold for having other musou game save data. One of the messages said "Save data for WARRIORS OROCHI 3: Ultimate has been detected."

Very well could mean nothing, but that's the first time I can remember the U.S. version of a Koei Switch game detecting the sava data for a Japanese game and listing its name in English like that.

It also says you can get more data if you have a save for DW8 Empires and Spirit Of Sanada. Hmm...

How interesting. I know these are a fact for the JP version as the site says, but the NA release retains this and seemingly does detect JP save files which is a first no?

Do you have a screenshot of this BTW?

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How interesting. I know these are a fact for the JP version as the site says, but the NA release retains this and seemingly does detect JP save files which is a first no?

Correct. Some games are essentially the same in multiple regions (I.E. the same languages are available for both the Japanese and American versions and DLC from both eShops will work), but Koei's musou games are not like this are separate games from each other, due to having different languages available. So it is very, very interesting seeing DW8 detecting save data for a Japanese game and listing the titles in English.

Do you have a screenshot of this BTW?

Sure do! Thought it would be a good idea to grab one.

https://twitter.com/lyteedge/status/1078345767432052737
DvcNwqKV4AAn_iM.jpg

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
wonder if they just didn't remove the initial loading of the PS4 version of the game since those games pop with saves i think on the PS4 version.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Correct. Some games are essentially the same in multiple regions (I.E. the same languages are available for both the Japanese and American versions and DLC from both eShops will work), but Koei's musou games are not like this are separate games from each other, due to having different languages available. So it is very, very interesting seeing DW8 detecting save data for a Japanese game and listing the titles in English.

Sure do! Thought it would be a good idea to grab one.

https://twitter.com/lyteedge/status/1078345767432052737
DvcNwqKV4AAn_iM.jpg

Awesome stuff! :D

I made an article with full credit to you!

https://goldmetalsonic.wordpress.co...potential-sign-of-said-games-being-localized/

Still no discount :(

Yeah that's bizarre. There's no reference to it in any of the PRs. It's only in the NA tweet in the OP but maybe they canned the discount in the end. :(

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Japanese version has a discount...we didn't get it. Come on, Koei. :\

EDIT: To be fair, we get it for $40...it's over 7000 yen on the J-eShop. Ouch!

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'm in.. well when I get home and finish unpacking, although I'll have to do some deleting
Edit: Ok new plan no dynasty warriors 8 till after I beat the storm trilogy. Cause that's the only way I'm getting space. XD

Last edited:

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I'm not seeing any DLC in my game. No costumes, no extra weapons, etc. Do I have to do something to unlock them?

EDIT: Found the weapons, but not the costumes.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Do you guys recommend this over Attack on Titan 2 (which is on sale)? Both are roughly the same price right now.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys recommend this over Attack on Titan 2 (which is on sale)? Both are roughly the same price right now.
Very different games. Although AoT has some similarities to a Musou game, and is by the same dev, the minute to minute gameplay is totally different.

Personally, I'd go with the one on sale, as you're not missing out by getting DW later. On the other hand, that is offset somewhat by the fact that DW is a more complete package, including all the previous DLC, whereas AoT has a bunch of DLC not included in the base game.

OhNoMelon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not seeing any DLC in my game. No costumes, no extra weapons, etc. Do I have to do something to unlock them?

EDIT: Found the weapons, but not the costumes.

I was nosying around and saw the unlock bonuses for having previous games save files. The one for having all 4 games (of which, 1 was localised lol) was to unlock all the costumes straight away so I guess they're gated behind... something? possibly character levels, ala the PS2 games.

Edit: Actually they just unlocked after I finished Wu's story mode so I guess it's just after you finish a story mode.

Last edited:

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Very different games. Although AoT has some similarities to a Musou game, and is by the same dev, the minute to minute gameplay is totally different.

Personally, I'd go with the one on sale, as you're not missing out by getting DW later. On the other hand, that is offset somewhat by the fact that DW is a more complete package, including all the previous DLC, whereas AoT has a bunch of DLC not included in the base game.
Thank. Yeah, when in doubt I usually go with the one in sale. I think I'm more in the mood for a more classic Musou experience though.

Speaking of Musou, does Warriors Orochi 4 really runs this bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOJbK_i4UL8

Damn, that's worse than Hyrule Warriors and I thought performance was already pretty bad there. I'm glad they went with the PS3 version of DW8, at least the framerate seems much smoother.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Thank. Yeah, when in doubt I usually go with the one in sale. I think I'm more in the mood for a more classic Musou experience though.

Speaking of Musou, does Warriors Orochi 4 really runs this bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOJbK_i4UL8

Damn, that's worse than Hyrule Warriors and I thought performance was already pretty bad there. I'm glad they went with the PS3 version of DW8, at least the framerate seems much smoother.

As someone who has 100% both the PS4 and Switch version i can tell you that both versions suffer from the same issues when it comes to framerate. They are both comparable in that department regardless of console. The biggest difference i noticed from Switch to PS4 is the draw distance with the Switch version not being as far.

Even though it dips though, it is still very playable.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who has 100% both the PS4 and Switch version i can tell you that both versions suffer from the same issues when it comes to framerate. They are both comparable in that department regardless of console. The biggest difference i noticed from Switch to PS4 is the draw distance with the Switch version not being as far.

Even though it dips though, it is still very playable.
It's not that the game dips, it's that or barely manages to go over 25 fps. At least based on that video. Reminds me of the Vita versions.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
If Empires is coming also I will wait for that, since most people say it's a better game than XLDE. Am I right about that?

OhNoMelon

Oct 26, 2017
If Empires is coming also I will wait for that, since most people say it's a better game than XLDE. Am I right about that?

Yes and no. In Empires there's... Empires mode. Which is a fun light strategy thing. DW8: E is probably also the closest we're likely to get to the GOAT mode from 5XL where you start as a grunt unit and work your way up. That's all it really has though, with just periods covered through the games, and a big free for all mode.

I have a lot of fun with it, but I think DW8 is better bang for your buck with Story Mode, Free Mode, Ambition Mode, Challenge Mode, and then stuff like unlockable weapons and animal companions which is a bit more interesting than just having enough item shows in your territory to buy them. Plus 8 has a lot of great characters but I don't really want to play as them in empires preferring to use a CAW.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully we get Spirit of Sanada after this. I can't see them bothering with Orochi 3 when 4 is already out. That whole save file thing is just because it was a direct translation from the JP version, where those games are available.

OhNoMelon

Oct 26, 2017
Shame they didn't just include Empires here and made it the true all-in-one definitive edition.

I would have been happy with them just adding the new movesets from Empires since it includes all the DLC weapons anyway, would help with some of the blander characters like Sun Quan who got a much better EX weapons in Empires.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Got this and played for around a hour. Feels so much better to play than Hyrule Warriors. Framerate is probably sitting comfortably in the 40s. Doesn't go much higher but it stays there. Feels good to me.

Last time I played this was on Vita and it was a shit show. Musou games live and die by their framerate, imo.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I've finally decided to bite, have a budget again and I need something fun to mess around in mindlessly after I'm tired after finishing work