• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I love combo videos. Especially since I will never be able to do big combos myself :D
I started Xin Xanjing's Story - fun so far - maybe I will stick with her and finally finish a story ;) Her special is a bit weak tho...

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Load her up with epic wind gems and watch her combos go insanely fast to the point it becomes hard to see whats going on in the fight. I found her very fun to use.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
This weapon stuff is all new to me, should I stuck to main weapon (class) for a character? So far I did but switching weapon class just seems to work fine - does that do something special?
Also item descriptions... man. I wish they would actually write down what class a weapon is and how it looks, plus stats - especially at the coin dealer etc.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
This weapon stuff is all new to me, should I stuck to main weapon (class) for a character? So far I did but switching weapon class just seems to work fine - does that do something special?
Also item descriptions... man. I wish they would actually write down what class a weapon is and how it looks, plus stats - especially at the coin dealer etc.

You can use pretty much any weapon with any character if you really want to. Every weapon has a generic set of triggers that make them usable to any character. Unique weapon holders get a unique trigger and combo ender if they use their default weapon (e.g. Xin Xianying gets a unique ender to her default state combo that adds more hits, while Xu Huang and Deng Ai have shorter default combos and different enders).

It's all up to preference. I like to stick with default weapons and weaker versions of weapons to learn how to play them, though I've been using other weapons (like Lu Bu's halberd) for characters I'm bored of playing

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I never really switched weapon, i see no point to. I think keeping the characters's main weapon is better in the long run anyway.

EDIT: well Evilisk sum'd it up nicely.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow discovered this weird bug/exploit with Yu Jin. This exploit seems to work on the same principle as the Xu Zhu one; the stun trigger has momentum as part of the attack, so jump cancelling it leads to funky jump arcs

It has a bit of combo potential due to the gunadao's air reactive attack being able to scoop up enemies. In the video I'm even able to scoop an enemy on the ground (but since it places them in neutral, the enemy can block/roll/attack afterwards). Kinda wish I'd discovered it sooner since I'm already done recording footage for the second part of that Wei Combo Video I'm working on.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Holy cow, Sima Zhao, Wang Yuanji, and Jia Chong all have such awful English acting. Just had a scene with the three of them together. It was a trifecta of stiffness.

Weird that they didn't make better choices, given how prominent these three were in Jin's story in DW8.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
And my save is gone. No fun today... I would not mind if the start of the game would not be that slow.

edit: restarted with Shu. Chose Guan Ping. Did not know I like big slow weapons, having lot's of fun with the game now.
Also made my target now to REALLY stick to one character. I am happy with the moveset for sure. Only problem is that the startup of the attacks are slow and you can get interrupted a ton if you aren't already in a combo.

Last edited:

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished uploading the second part of my Wei combo video. Now it's a proper set:

(I'm a bit miffed that the auto thumbnail generator didn't pick the large shot I did of the entire cast but eh)

I liked how this turned out a bit more than the first. Wang Yi's footage turned out way better than I expected, even though it was hell trying to actually land some of those combos. The only character I really disliked playing was Cao Pi. His variation seems kinda bland compared to Lu Xun or even Liu Bei.

Gonna do the Jin video next because I piled Sima Yi at the end of pt. 2 (to even out the numbers of Wei and Jin; this way there's an even number of characters for both factions)

Last edited:

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
New patch

Version 1.10

-Added the setting Dynamic Camera Settings to "Options".
-Added a setting to "Options" that allows you to select whether sheathing and drawing your weapon is automatic or manual.
-Improved the movement of soldiers and officers during battle.
-Improved the movement of archers.
-Corrected an error in the Encyclopedia: Officers entry for "Sui Gu".
-Corrected an issue in which siege towers would not move during the Wu Chapter 10 Mission "Ambush at Yiling".
-Corrected an issue in which, after meeting the victory conditions for Jin Chapter 13 Mission "Assault on Chengdu", other missions could incorrectly be accepted.
-Corrected an issue in which the Shu Chapter 12 Mission "Battle of Mt. Tielong" could not be completed if Xiahou Ba had been slain.
-Corrected a number of other minor issues.

Haven't tried the new camera out yet. I do like how much post launch support the game is getting. Head and shoulders above previous DW entries, where a lot of this stuff would just be moved to an XL edition.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing about those notes really piques my interest. Also I can't believe they're still "improving movement" of NPCs, it's starting to feel like that's been a thing in every patch so far.

I am glad for the continued support though. It was great that they added level reset and the gem drops from officers, the camera mode's been fun too despite not personally using it much.

I personally want them to just add some level cap option / item (so I can attempt specific chapters at specific levels, without worrying about overlevelling). That's the only thing left that I want AND would also be simple to patch in / add in a free update

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Totally weird thing happened to me today. Got a notification from Instagram that some "Mattmfowler" is following me. I looked his bio up and apparently he is/was the voice of Zhuge Liang and Zhao Yun. I don't follow voice actors at all so no idea who he was. Im a little shocked he followed me. lol

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
How is the One X version doing btw. ? I tried to check youtube for recent videos but sadly there is none of the latest versions.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been playing a whole lot because I'm trying to clear up / use all the footage I've already recorded first. I've already done one quick clip compilation. I also whipped this up as practice some time back (mostly from footage of Xin Xianying goofing off with other weapons)

Before I stopped playing, I went back to Chunhua and I found the whipsword to be not as boring as I originally thought. It still isn't super interesting, but its ground reactive attacks have absurd combo utility

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like there's a new patch for this game, not sure how recent it is (I've not playing much of anything on my PS4). I'm surprised that nothing's seemingly been mentioned about the DLC characters. We're already almost five months since this game's release and they're still unreleased

As far as the actual games go, I've mostly started messing around with Wen Yang because I'm trying to get some cool footage of him (and his awful weapon). He has a cool launcher trigger but everything else is meh about him (his special attack doesn't have much utility except for the wind element. His musou attacks are also really bland). I'm glad he at least has a short Story

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like there's a new patch for this game, not sure how recent it is (I've not playing much of anything on my PS4). I'm surprised that nothing's seemingly been mentioned about the DLC characters. We're already almost five months since this game's release and they're still unreleased

If i recall the schedule outline, the release for the DLC characters was just said to be "this summer." Im thinking August at this point.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I think at release it was Zhong Hui or Deng Ai

I personally unlocked him (after they made it easier to unlock characters in a patch) with Sima Zhao

So Deng Ai and Zhong Hui (and maybe Sima Zhao unless I'm super mistaken) are the stories you want to complete to get Wen Yang.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the new patch added some features (wind direction/speed) to Photo Mode and fixed a few bugs. I think I've given up hope for a performance patch.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the new patch added some features (wind direction/speed) to Photo Mode and fixed a few bugs. I think I've given up hope for a performance patch.
Patching performance beyond what they already have is likely not a simple matter. Hopefully they can push another one now that a lot of the gameplay issues have been smoothed out.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Can't watch or post it right now but according to my YT notifications, there should be a video of Hua Xiong's moveset on the KT channel

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed! And here it is. And according to Twitter and the video, it appears the Additional Scenario Pack which makes Hua Xiong, Yuan Shu, Dong Bai & Xiahouji playable will be available on 28 June!

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
As I guessed, the unique trigger he got is knockdown trigger. This is... a pretty bad decision because the generic trigger on the large club is actually really good, and the new attack he got (the running kick) looks nowhere near as good. His other grab moves seem to be his special attack (second grab) and the finisher to his stun combo (his first grab).

From just theorizing, I don't think he's gonna be very good lol (Huang Gai's already not great to play) though I'm gonna give him a try (and all the other DLC characters) regardless. At least his grabs look super satisfying

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
As ive mentioned before. Not a fan of clubs personally. Not my jam. Just never found them fun. But new characters to play is always welcome regardless. Guess ill be jumping back into DW9 at the end of the month after a long break. Looking forward to seeing how much the game has changed.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Xiahouji footage is up

I didn't realize she had the Sword and Shield moveset. It looks really awkward on her short character model (like the shield is almost as big as her...). I actually haven't played with the Shield all that much but she seems to have a unique Stun Trigger and a unique Knockdown Combo Finisher

Despite my complete distaste for Xiahouji as an inclusion, she actually looks really fun which makes me really conflicted.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Xiahouji footage is up

I didn't realize she had the Sword and Shield moveset. It looks really awkward on her short character model (like the shield is almost as big as her...). I actually haven't played with the Shield all that much but she seems to have a unique Stun Trigger and a unique Knockdown Combo Finisher

Despite my complete distaste for Xiahouji as an inclusion, she actually looks really fun which makes me really conflicted.
"You're a dumb inclusion versus the many more deserving...but KOEI love their waifus and you're fun to play so...i'll alow it."
Would be my reaction.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
Xiahouji made into the game while old man Liao Hua who could be easily used as enemy officer everytime Shu involved left in the gutter.
Let that sink in.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017

Meh. Dosent look a whole lot different than Xincai i feel. Such an odd weapon choice for her? I think the only thing that really interested me was her air musou. Hard to tell exactly what was going on there? Some kind of whirlwind?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Meh. Dosent look a whole lot different than Xincai i feel. Such an odd weapon choice for her? I think the only thing that really interested me was her air musou. Hard to tell exactly what was going on there? Some kind of whirlwind?

At least the moveset makes sense in the context that Xiahouji is Xingcai's mother.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Love photo mode!

FF754DFFDBEDC790E1D4AFF3B1B60B8C5715AA53

5F9DF16DC60B59F6BA250997D4D4BE84692ED65C
3AB5585C2953A047E9D7384ACF010FC86E031E66

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Yuan Shu looks great. He seems to have a unique air combo finisher, a unique stun trigger and his special and air musou attacks seem to be appropriated from Yuan Shao. Which is good because I really want Yuan Shu to inherit Yuan Shao's current personality and for us to go back to serious Yuan Shao.

I'm looking forward to him since Koei basically have no choice but to make a really unique campaign for him (whereas the other DLC characters will be most likely recycling Dong Zhuo and the Shu campaigns)

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Im digging Dong Bai. Shares a few similarities with her grandfather it seems. But has some unique twists. I like that musou attack. But there is some kind of weird facial animation when she speaks in the air? Maybe its just me, Its almost like uncanny valley? That step move at the end of it is great. I love it. She looks like she's gonna be pretty fun to use i think.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't used much of the flail moveset so I'm actually not sure what the unique trigger is, but she has a unique air combo ender and a grab special

She looks like a lot of fun. The flail's running attack sends enemies into the air (unlike almost every other weapon) so I do like her getting an extra air attack for her variation. I also appreciate her also having a grab special that's also lightning element (I think the flail moveset is already really fast nornally, it'll probably be crazy with full weapon speed). Her air musou looks hilarious imo, like the pyrotechnics going on in the background as she steps on the poor mook just looks funny to me

I'm curious where they'll end her story, because usually they have female character stories end abruptly (Xianying's story ends when her father dies, most spouses don't have stories that last after the death of their partner like the Qiaos). Only exception I've seen are characters with no spouses (so Cai Wenji and Wang Yi)

I'm hoping they don't end her story with Dong Zhuo's death. I'd love to be able do the chapters where she's menacing Lu Bu

Im digging Dong Bai. Shares a few similarities with her grandfather it seems. But has some unique twists. I like that musou attack. But there is some kind of weird facial animation when she speaks in the air? Maybe its just me, Its almost like uncanny valley? That step move at the end of it is great. I love it. She looks like she's gonna be pretty fun to use i think.

I noticed this too, though I'm not sure why I get that effect from her face

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Dong Zhuo is one of the characters I hadn't gotten around to using yet, but Dong Bai looks like a blast. I hope she and the others have story modes with some length to them.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Dong Zhuo is one of the characters I hadn't gotten around to using yet, but Dong Bai looks like a blast. I hope she and the others have story modes with some length to them.

I must say i was very pleasantly surprised at how fun Dong Zhuo is in DW9. I thought he had a pretty good moveset. And matched with what in my opinion is the best voice acting ive heard for the character, im kinda bummed his story doesn't last longer. I never gave him a second look in previous games. But definitely check him out sometime.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Dong Bai's story seems like it definitely goes past Dong Zhuo's death, so that's good. Also I just realized that Dong Bai has the same voice actress as Guan Yinping which is... not good

Hua Xiong's story sounds like it might be starting in chapter 1 (it mentions something about him leading, and while he's not in the YTR chapter everyone does, he does appear in Dong Zhuo's unique chapter 1 battle). He still has his old voice (as in, he's voiced by one of the three/four VA's who voice all of the male generic voices). I (ironically) like the silly dorky voice on him tbh, it's much better than the awful fake tough guy impression they tried for Zhang Fei

Xiahouji's story sections seem to be playing up the drama between Zhang Fei and the rest of her own family being enemies, I really dislike that approach for her story tbqh. Her voice sounds awful from that trailer, all her line readings sound the exact same lmao

Not much to say about Yuan Shu, we already have a good idea of when his story will end, and this didn't say anything about when it might start. I do want to say I unironically love his voice, it's got the perfect balance of seriousness and arrogance. I wish he had a slightly more serious costume that matched the voice though

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
Patch notes for V1.11 (Steam) / 1.12 (PS4):
  • Added new features to "Photo Mode".
  • Improved the movement of archers.
  • Corrected an issue in which the NPC from which you would normally accept the Wei Chapter 4 Mission "Procuring Supplies - Dingtao" would not appear.
  • Corrected an issue in which the Wei Chapter 5 Mission "Negotiating with the Villagers" could not be accepted.
  • Corrected an issue in which the Wei Chapter 6 Mission "Gathering Enemy Intelligence" could not be completed.
  • Corrected an issue in which the Nanzhong Chapter 10 Mission "Capture Yuexi" could not be completed.
  • Corrected an issue in which cavalry would rarely fall from their horses unnaturally.
  • Now, when local save data does not exist, data will be downloaded from the cloud upon starting the game.
  • Corrected a number of other minor issues.

I didn't realize they also had more details about patches. Apparently the new Photo Mode features include the ability to place "Stamps" on the photos.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
LTTP here, I've got a musou itch lately that needs scratching. I recall originally this game got panned pretty hard with some mixed reviews at best. Have the updates done anything to make this worthy a purchase now? Do you need the season pass for it to be worthwhile?

Lastly, I've seen it at a local mom and pop shop for $10 (pre-owned, not new). Does paying $10 instead of the $30 I'm seeing online sway any opinions?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
LTTP here, I've got a musou itch lately that needs scratching. I recall originally this game got panned pretty hard with some mixed reviews at best. Have the updates done anything to make this worthy a purchase now? Do you need the season pass for it to be worthwhile?

Lastly, I've seen it at a local mom and pop shop for $10 (pre-owned, not new). Does paying $10 instead of the $30 I'm seeing online sway any opinions?
The patches the game has received have significantly improved it. But I also put dozens of hours into it before all of its patches were applied. In my mind, the game was always worth the $60 launch price. Flawed? Of course, but I've never seen the game as not worth playing.