• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
LTTP here, I've got a musou itch lately that needs scratching. I recall originally this game got panned pretty hard with some mixed reviews at best. Have the updates done anything to make this worthy a purchase now? Do you need the season pass for it to be worthwhile?

Lastly, I've seen it at a local mom and pop shop for $10 (pre-owned, not new). Does paying $10 instead of the $30 I'm seeing online sway any opinions?

Updates have helped but I don't think they've changed anybody's minds towards the game

Whether you'd enjoy it or not really depends on what you're looking for and what you mean by musou itch. If the worth of a musou title is heavily dependent on the formula these types of games use, then DW9 is really not going to be for you. It's a departure in so many ways (from the combat to the progression system to the ways battles now play out) and what it offers in return isn't necessarily better than what came before.

The only things I'd recommend DW9 for are for the combat and arguably the story. On combat, I really am only referring to the combat system here; the new flow combat system is actually pretty fun to mess around with. Don't believe anyone making Renbu comparisons, the new combat is fun as hell especially when you start to play around with weapon speeds. The only issues with the combat system have nothing to do with the combat itself (like the stage design, or the issue of cloning), though the combat system could definitely be improved a lot to be even better than it is.

Arguably the other reason to play Dynasty Warriors 9 is for its story. While the presentation of the story is admittedly iffy here (90% of the story is shown through barely animated, RPG cutscenes) I do think the story itself is good. It's not as tight narrative experience as DW7 is, but if you like the general story / period you'll be pleased. There are periods that are playable that weren't before (like Cao Pi's reign from Wei's side), you get to see each Kingdom develop and introduce more characters over time and I think the open world, though squandered in terms of actual gameplay, actually really adds to the story. Like seeing Fan Castle in relation to all 3 Kingdoms, or seeing Chibi and the massive river separating Wu and Wei really does help you contextualize everything.

With all of this said, while I do think these are the best elements of DW9, both of these attributes still have a lot of room for improvement. DW9's story presentation really is awful and can be pretty off-putting if you don't care that much for the setting. The combat actually has nothing wrong with it (no glaring flaws like losing Renbu level while travelling from point A to point B), but the "stage design" and to a lesser extent, the clones, do drag down the experience.

This wasn't supposed to be such a long post but basically, don't go for it if you really want a specific type of game and gameplay. If you're more adventurous, or if you have an interest in 3K / DW's story, or if you have a looser definition of musou and don't mind fighting 100's of mooks regardless of the formula, or all of the above, I'd say go for it.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Went back to DW9 after a few months break. I'll probably get the remaining trophies that I didn't get yet.

EDIT: Still as fun as ever.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I still have entries to find for it. Should only require playing the right campaigns, though!
Good luck, you got this!
I still need 3 or 4 trophies.
Unlocking every playable officers
the encyclopedia
75% of the locations
finishing a story with a shu character (yeah didn't use Shu yet after 100+ hours lmao)

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Good luck, you got this!
I still need 3 or 4 trophies.
Unlocking every playable officers
the encyclopedia
75% of the locations
finishing a story with a shu character (yeah didn't use Shu yet after 100+ hours lmao)
Holding back on the BENEVOLENCE I see!

That remaining crop should be more than doable!

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Guilty as charged! Not that many Shu characters that make me go "I wanna play them". Chances are I'll keep the Shu story trophy as last and I'll murder everyone with Yinping.

Shu is poo. Yinping is cool though. I always hate how they try to portray Shu as the "good guys." Or maybe thats just the way i saw it. But those folk are a bunch of twats imo.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Shu is poo. Yinping is cool though. I always hate how they try to portray Shu as the "good guys." Or maybe thats just the way i saw it. But those folk are a bunch of twats imo.
It's definitely the more "theatrical" take on the 3 kingdoms story where Shu are portrayed as the good guys and Wei the baddies, so to speak. So, it's not just you haha.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely the more "theatrical" take on the 3 kingdoms story where Shu are portrayed as the good guys and Wei the baddies, so to speak. So, it's not just you haha.
Nothing in Dynasty Warriors has given me quite the pleasure of seeing the Jin characters completely thump a decaying, rotted husk of a Shu in DW7.

Aug 31, 2018
Stuttgart
Just deleted DW9 from my hard drive.

The dev factually lacked money and/or talent and/or time to realize the envisioned experience

imho this game is, with all due respect a massive failure

If they had succeeded with the concept then I'd respect them a lot, but not like this.

Trophy completion of this game will forever be at 27% for me. A testament to its numerous and significant flaws. Sad.

HF everyone who enjoys it.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017

The dev factually lacked money and/or talent and/or time to realize the envisioned experience

If they had succeeded with the concept then I'd respect them a lot, but not like this.

Trophy completion of this game will forever be at 27% for me. A testament to its numerous and significant flaws. Sad.

It's unfortunate that you didn't like it. At least you gave it a chance unlike some people who immediatly dismiss it without trying.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
There's so much to love about DW9's combat system that going back to the old combat in WO4 is going to be weird.

This is how i feel. I already went back and started re-playing some WO3 and previous Dynasty Warriors games a couple months back. And i had a hard time getting into it. Just doesnt flow as well as 9 in my opinion.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017

I agree with Shanaynay, at least you gave it a go

Personally, I'm not so bothered about DW9 not exactly nailing the open world from the get go. Dynasty Warriors is like the most reiterated on series ever; it's not that long ago that characters *still* had to share movesets, and even then Koei didn't give all 80+ characters unique movesets in Dynasty Warriors 8, they gave only a few characters actual brand new movesets while reusing ones from DW6 and DW7. It gets even more silly to me because it's not like anyone liked DW2 (which is what the game should actually be compared to). It helps that I actually really like the combat system

But yeah, I can totally understand if you didn't enjoy DW9 and it's a fair view to hold

I'm probably the only person who thinks WO4 looks like shit and vastly prefers DW9, glaring flaws and all.

I think that's too strong a word, but I'm definitely underwhelmed by WO4 (and I had low expectations to begin with).
  • The artifact weapons seem kind of intrusive and gimmicky. I'm not liking all the "stop moving and aim your crowd clearing projectile attack" moves I've seen.

• The deity forms look like they barely affect gameplay, and none of the characters I actually like are getting any of those forms so it's very hard to care about this addition

• None of the Orochi characters look like they're getting revamped. This was legit the one thing I was expecting and yet it looks like they couldn't even do that much, which is seriously disappointing to me.

• And I'm pretty underwhelmed by the new characters. Zeus and Ares are legit cool, but I didn't need to see another mythology already. I also can't help but feel they're holding out on the other major Greek Gods for a re-release (it doesn't help that people in general already seem to be expecting next gen consoles)
I still plan on getting the game, but I feel less and less like that it needs to be at release.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
With how present Cao Xiu and Man Chong are (they're in so many battles) it's a surprise it took them this long to become playable.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's definitely my video, I uploaded it so I could link to it in this very thread lol

With how present Cao Xiu and Man Chong are (they're in so many battles) it's a surprise it took them this long to become playable.

To be fair on Koei, the Wei adds from the past few games have all been pretty important as well

Anyway, I'm almost certain Man Chong (and also Xu Sheng) are here because of the open world. It'd be weird to do open world, and have the characters responsible for the fake Wall ploy / New Hefei Castle be generic NPC's. I don't have a clue why they decided to do Cao Xiu now though. They've had Battle of Shi Ting for ages (it's even in DW3). Maybe it was to flesh out Cao Pi's reign a bit more? Or maybe he was simple to add since he already had a finished design from Blast they could use.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's definitely my video, I uploaded it so I could link to it in this very thread lol

To be fair on Koei, the Wei adds from the past few games have all been pretty important as well

Anyway, I'm almost certain Man Chong (and also Xu Sheng) are here because of the open world. It'd be weird to do open world, and have the characters responsible for the fake Wall ploy / New Hefei Castle be generic NPC's. I don't have a clue why they decided to do Cao Xiu now though. They've had Battle of Shi Ting for ages (it's even in DW3). Maybe it was to flesh out Cao Pi's reign a bit more? Or maybe he was simple to add since he already had a finished design from Blast they could use.
I hope they'll add more late Wu character in future titles. Need less made up characters like Zhou Cang.

Less Shu in general too, there's like a million of them now.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they'll add more late Wu character in future titles. Need less made up characters like Zhou Cang.

They definitely need to add Late Wu, it's crazy that Wu's story just stops after a point. They need to be the focus of the next XL game (whenever that is)

Also I don't mind Shu adds, but they gotta stop adding the Peach Boys family (and their extended family). Gimme Zhang Ni, Liao Hua, Luo Xian, Huang Hao, Wang Ping and other Shu adds that will actually add something to Shu's story.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

There's a real need for more late Wu characters. It feels like a massive void with all of the late Shu and Wei/Jin officers running around.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
They definitely need to add Late Wu, it's crazy that Wu's story just stops after a point. They need to be the focus of the next XL game (whenever that is)

Also I don't mind Shu adds, but they gotta stop adding the Peach Boys family (and their extended family). Gimme Zhang Ni, Liao Hua, Luo Xian, Huang Hao, Wang Ping and other Shu adds that will actually add something to Shu's story.
By the way, I noticed Liu Biao seems to have a unique model. Like, he has a generic officer face but his outfit seem unique over everyone else, so I feel he'll probably be playable someday.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda disappointed Jia Chong was ruined in DW9. I much prefered the weapons he used in DW8.

Also Zhong Hui's Knock-Down obliterate everything.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Got the platinum, after nearly 200 hours! Of course there was quite a few times where the game was left on pause AND I played a bunch of stories. I only really used a guide toward the end to fill the encyclopedia. The last trophy I needed was to finish a Shu story so Guan Yinping was the perfect candidate and she's as fun as ever to use, I look forward to use her again in Orochi 4 with her DW8 weapons.

So, I remember being uninterested in DW9 originally, that feel like so long ago (although it's not) I'm happy I gave it a chance, I didn't expect to play it for 195h though. I do have to wonder what's next for the series, especially with the overall reception of 9. I'd like to see them try a mix of both old style and open world style. Like have really large battlefields (much, much larger than those in 8) with some missions in and of course keep the battle system of 9 and improve on it. Of course they could try to improve on the open world aspect but yeah, no idea if they'll risk that again. Makes me wonder if an Xtreme Legends and an Empire game is in the work. Admitedly I'd like to see their take on Empire with the open world of 9.

Enjoyed my time with the game, this OT was wonderful to discuss things.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Got the platinum, after nearly 200 hours! Of course there was quite a few times where the game was left on pause AND I played a bunch of stories. I only really used a guide toward the end to fill the encyclopedia. The last trophy I needed was to finish a Shu story so Guan Yinping was the perfect candidate and she's as fun as ever to use, I look forward to use her again in Orochi 4 with her DW8 weapons.

So, I remember being uninterested in DW9 originally, that feel like so long ago (although it's not) I'm happy I gave it a chance, I didn't expect to play it for 195h though. I do have to wonder what's next for the series, especially with the overall reception of 9. I'd like to see them try a mix of both old style and open world style. Like have really large battlefields (much, much larger than those in 8) with some missions in and of course keep the battle system of 9 and improve on it. Of course they could try to improve on the open world aspect but yeah, no idea if they'll risk that again. Makes me wonder if an Xtreme Legends and an Empire game is in the work. Admitedly I'd like to see their take on Empire with the open world of 9.

Glad you enjoyed it! Its not as bad as people like to dogpile on it in my opinion. I had a lot of fun with it.

Im kinda hoping they just dont give up and they will stick with the open world format for DW10 whenever it comes out. They just have to flesh out the world better and give us fun activities and/or mini games throughout the world to make it less empty. Also make some adjustments to the raiding of castles/forts. I actually have a ton of ideas. So hopefully they can think of something as well. So whether it will be open world or not, only time will tell. If they go back to the maze/map style, i hope they make them more interesting/engaging. Maybe give us more set pieces in those fights to interact with for example.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
Ye gods, could it be true?

Title Update Ver.1.13(Steam)
Release date:9/13/2018
  • Added BGM from a previous title from the DYNASTY WARRIORS series.
  • Added new bows.
  • Added new arrows.
  • Added a new feature that allows players to change the wallpaper, and added several new wallpapers to use with the feature.
  • Improved the frame rate.
  • Made improvements with respect to the numbers of enemies that appear on the battlefield.
  • Increased the speed in which messages are displayed upon completing missions.
  • Made improvements to the behavior of officers during battle.
  • Corrected a number of other minor issues.
People on /r/dynastywarriors are reporting that PS4 Pro can get stable 60fps on action mode now. I'm excited to see how the PC version has improved!

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Sorry guys to but in here but since the game has been out for a bit i was wondering if you could take the time to tell me about your impressions. I'm on the fence if i should buy DW9; I'm not sure if i'll like it.
First i want to say that i enjoy koei games for the storyline, different movesets and the flow of the game.
My questions:
1) is aw a lot of negativity at the game launch, is there any major problem or is just because the game is different?
2) does the open world make the game "boring", as in you take a while to reach the next level? or does the game play like previous titles where you can just select the level? (i usually don't like open world games)
3) how does the game compare with DW8?; i enjoyed DW8 a lot
4) what price do you feel it is fair to this game (I play on PC)
5) Does the game have local co-op (pc)?
6 since the game is still being patched should i wait for further content before jumping in?

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap, those maniacs actually did it! The game feels fantastic now. If I turn down some of the more demanding setting then I can hit a stable 60 fps outside of battle with a few dips into the 50s in battle. I'll continue fine-tuning to see what I can live with, but in any case it's a remarkable improvement over the 40fps I used to get in towns even on the lowest settings at 1080p.

The update was only 63 MB, so I'm curious to know how they implemented the improvements. At first glance I feel like there's more pop-in and texture streaming issues, but I'd love to see Digital Foundry revisit the game and do comparisons.

Sorry guys to but in here but since the game has been out for a bit i was wondering if you could take the time to tell me about your impressions. I'm on the fence if i should buy DW9; I'm not sure if i'll like it.
First i want to say that i enjoy koei games for the storyline, different movesets and the flow of the game.
My questions:
1) is aw a lot of negativity at the game launch, is there any major problem or is just because the game is different?
2) does the open world make the game "boring", as in you take a while to reach the next level? or does the game play like previous titles where you can just select the level? (i usually don't like open world games)
6 since the game is still being patched should i wait for further content before jumping in?

1) The frame rate was abysmal at launch, even on PC. The latest patch seems to have finally improved it, but the patch came out 7 months after release. Beyond performance issues, the gameplay is a huge shift away from traditional DW. I thought the actual combat itself was improved for the better, but the mission design ended up being severely lacking and repetitive.
2) There are parts of China that have been recreated in great detail, and it can be very fun to just explore and find landmarks. However, there's A LOT of empty space in between with nothing interesting to do. There's a chapter select, but no way to go directly to the huge battles. This is unfortunate because often you have to go through lots of sub-missions before reaching the actual battles.
3) It pales in comparison.
4) The lowest price it's ever been on Steam is $53.99, though CD Keys has it for around $40 right now. The physical PS4 and XBO versions frequently go on sale for sub $20. I think around $20 would be fair, but Koei are really stringent with PC sales, so I don't see it hitting that price for a few years.
5) No co-op whatsoever. Hugely disappointing as playing local co-op with my brother has been a tradition since DW3.
6) With Warriors Orochi 4 coming out next month, the patches for DW9 will probably slow down. Personally, I think you're better off just getting WO4 if you loved DW8 so much, as the gameplay will be more similar. If you're interested in DW9, I'd say wait until the next iteration. The first iteration is always the roughest because they have to build a new engine. By the time Empires/Xtreme Legends or even 10 come out, they'll have good base to work off, and can begin decloning characters and focusing more time on mission variety.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really interested in the framerate improvements (I'm on a base PS4, so I'm not sure it'll lead to any improvements there) but I am curious about the music.

I'm glad you gave it a shot, and then ended up enjoying it

I also got the platinum in around that timespan (DW9 actually ended up being my first platinum ever, though I'll admit I went for it partly because it's a pretty easy platinum)

I really hope they stick with the open world. It'd be a waste to let all this work into laying the foundation for an open world go to waste. They just really need to tweak how they handle battles in the next game (instead of the "mega mission" style they currently go for, it should be classic style DW battles with the open world in between) and there'd be 90% less complaints.

I also really want to eventually get to Warriors Orochi with the flow combat system. I don't mind WO as it currently is but WO with flow combat could be pretty damn amazing

My questions:

Shang's got everything covered but I want to add:

1) The negativity comes from both. The game is different, and what is different isn't necessarily better executed either

2) You cannot level select even in Free Mode which is something that actually sucks. The open world also is pretty boring as an open world. There are activities that you can do, but they supplement the main gameplay loop of combat (i.e. fishing helps you get money / rare weapons and items, crafting lets you craft items to use during battles etc.) and there's just not enough of them overall

3) They're not really comparable. DW8 is a more quality title. But they really shouldn't be compared as DW8 is like the sixth reiteration of classic Musou, while DW9 is attempting to set up the foundation for a new gameplay style. With that said I do like DW9's story over DW8's. DW8 was just really disappointing, in terms of story, after DW7.

DW9's story is surprisingly good despite RPG style cutscenes for 90% of the story scenes. It's amazing to see each Kingdom's territories and roster build up over time (which is something the game actually does this time, instead of just having floating portraits, a map of China and a narrator telling you what happens as it skips to each major battle). The only issue with the story is that they went for a character system instead of doing it based on Kingdoms, so while the story is good, you see it played out soo many times if you're trying to complete the game with all characters

Last edited:

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really interested in the framerate improvements (I'm on a base PS4, so I'm not sure it'll lead to any improvements there) but I am curious about the music.

I'm glad you gave it a shot, and then ended up enjoying it

I also got the platinum in around that timespan (DW9 actually ended up being my first platinum ever, though I'll admit I went for it partly because it's a pretty easy platinum)

I really hope they stick with the open world. It'd be a waste to let all this work into laying the foundation for an open world go to waste. They just really need to tweak how they handle battles in the next game (instead of the "mega mission" style they currently go for, it should be classic style DW battles with the open world in between) and there'd be 90% less complaints.

I also really want to eventually get to Warriors Orochi with the flow combat system. I don't mind WO as it currently is but WO with flow combat could be pretty damn amazing

Shang's got everything covered but I want to add:

1) The negativity comes from both. The game is different, and what is different isn't necessarily better executed either

2) You cannot level select even in Free Mode which is something that actually sucks. The open world also is pretty boring as an open world. There are activities that you can do, but they supplement the main gameplay loop of combat (i.e. fishing helps you get money / rare weapons and items, crafting lets you craft items to use during battles etc.) and there's just not enough of them overall

3) They're not really comparable. DW8 is a more quality title. But they really shouldn't be compared as DW8 is like the sixth reiteration of classic Musou, while DW9 is attempting to set up the foundation for a new gameplay style. With that said I do like DW9's story over DW8's. DW8 was just really disappointing, in terms of story, after DW7.

DW9's story is surprisingly good despite RPG style cutscenes for 90% of the story scenes. It's amazing to see each Kingdom's territories and roster build up over time (which is something the game actually does this time, instead of just having floating portraits, a map of China and a narrator telling you what happens as it skips to each major battle). The only issue with the story is that they went for a character system instead of doing it based on Kingdoms, so while the story is good, you see it played out soo many times if you're trying to complete the game with all characters
You don't miss much for the music, they added like...Yellow Storm and 2 or 3 other songs, I expected more really.
Also an Orochi with the flow system would be awesome.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
You don't miss much for the music, they added like...Yellow Storm and 2 or 3 other songs, I expected more really.
Also an Orochi with the flow system would be awesome.

Aw dang, that's literally the one track I didn't want to hear

I mean, I love DW3's soundtrack, but Yellow Storm is the blandest track. Literally every other track from that game is better than that one

Also yeah flow combat Orochi would be sooo good. There would be sooo much more combat potential than there currently is

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting update the game is getting. Probably a little too late however. But glad to see the game is still getting some attention.

Publisher Koei Tecmo has announced a new update headed to its mas warfare sequel Dynasty Warriors 9. This new update will add new multiplayer options to help you bring buddies into battle.

The new patch will be made available sometime this month and will implement both online and local split-screen modes, allowing for co-op between two players. This isn't the only new content headed to Dynasty Warriors 9, as more scenarios, costumes and weapons will be making their way to this entry in the long-running franchise.

https://www.destructoid.com/dynasty...4.phtml?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting update the game is getting. Probably a little too late however. But glad to see the game is still getting some attention.

https://www.destructoid.com/dynasty...4.phtml?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I have no idea how they'll get split screen to work on a base PS4. I've been playing the game recently and all I'm thinking is that the enemy pop-in is gonna be awful (framerate's also probably not work all that well, even on action mode). It's still a cool addition though. I really want to see at least one cool co-op combo video lol

It's also cool that they still have things planned for this game. I want to see more weapons, like Xiahou Yuan's bow n rod, Deng Ai's drill and Zhong Hui's flying swords, get added

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing a lot of DW9 recently, I figured I might as well post here.

First off, I finally managed to finish that All Wu Characters combo video I wanted to do.

• Sun Jian, Cheng Pu, Han Dang, Huang Gai, Sun Ce, Zhou Yu, Taishi Ci, Da Qiao, Xiao Qiao and Sun Shangxiang are in Part 1

• Sun Quan, Zhou Tai, Bu Lianshi, Lu Su, Lu Meng, Gan Ning, Ling Tong, Xu Sheng, Ding Feng, Zhu Ran and Lu Xun are in Part 2. Music is also listed in Part 2 (it's mostly tracks from DW9 though)

I did the videos with no Gems / default weapon speeds and attributes, and I also tried recording the footage in Action Mode this time (checking out Action Mode for myself is partially why I started playing again)

Unfortunately, Action Mode ended up being pretty inconsistent on my base PS4 (framerate was only consistently really good when fighting in open fields, against only one officer. It's just random after that, though it would assuredly go to crap around basically any city). When it works, it's great, but it sucks when it doesn't and that seemed to be often.

It was fun to actually play and record footage though. The Wu roster actually has a pretty good spread of fun and unique weapons. Unlike Wei, where there's lots of weapon sharing, only Zhou Yu and Zhu Ran and the Qiaos have to share weapons within the same faction. There are also a lot of really fun variations. You can actually count the number of bad variations / weapons on one hand with Wu (and it's only Sun Ce, Huang Gai and poor Ding Feng)

I still haven't played all the Others story yet, I might do that or I might wait until they release more DLC weapons first (and then buy them all up in a bunch along with the DLC characters)

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing a lot of DW9 recently, I figured I might as well post here.

First off, I finally managed to finish that All Wu Characters combo video I wanted to do.

• Sun Jian, Cheng Pu, Han Dang, Huang Gai, Sun Ce, Zhou Yu, Taishi Ci, Da Qiao, Xiao Qiao and Sun Shangxiang are in Part 1

• Sun Quan, Zhou Tai, Bu Lianshi, Lu Su, Lu Meng, Gan Ning, Ling Tong, Xu Sheng, Ding Feng, Zhu Ran and Lu Xun are in Part 2. Music is also listed in Part 2 (it's mostly tracks from DW9 though)

I did the videos with no Gems / default weapon speeds and attributes, and I also tried recording the footage in Action Mode this time (checking out Action Mode for myself is partially why I started playing again)

Unfortunately, Action Mode ended up being pretty inconsistent on my base PS4 (framerate was only consistently really good when fighting in open fields, against only one officer. It's just random after that, though it would assuredly go to crap around basically any city). When it works, it's great, but it sucks when it doesn't and that seemed to be often.

It was fun to actually play and record footage though. The Wu roster actually has a pretty good spread of fun and unique weapons. Unlike Wei, where there's lots of weapon sharing, only Zhou Yu and Zhu Ran and the Qiaos have to share weapons within the same faction. There are also a lot of really fun variations. You can actually count the number of bad variations / weapons on one hand with Wu (and it's only Sun Ce, Huang Gai and poor Ding Feng)

I still haven't played all the Others story yet, I might do that or I might wait until they release more DLC weapons first (and then buy them all up in a bunch along with the DLC characters)

Thanks for posting! I still love the character animations and the models from this game. I sure wonder whats in store for the future of this franchise.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
So a few interesting tidbits...

I just quoted the one Tweet, but Blackkite had more to say.

Hypothetical scenarios sounds interesting....

In regards to co-op, both players dont need to be anywhere near each other on the map. And both dont need to be on the same mission. It comes out tomorrow!

Suzuki-P admits that #DW9 new systems (including open world) got a rather equal (50:50) rate between positive & negative feedbacks. "While we have a wishful thinking that many people liked it, we also got a lot more harsh criticisms than we thought."

As i thought, fan bas was pretty split down the middle. I really hope they dont go backwards with the eventual 10.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my Others Characters video. Most of the Others characters were fun (except Zhang Jiao, who is trash). I also decided to bunch them in with Zhao Yun, since I don't have any plans to do a Shu video (and the spear is a Shu exclusive weapon)

I've also been playing a bunch of random characters (recently completed Zuo Ci's rehashed story, currently working on Jia Xu). Dunno if it's the AI that's been ramped up or if Jia Xu's variation sucks, but Chapter 5's been kicking my ass so far.

Also started screwing around with Photo Mode, which is way more fun than I was expecting it to be. I was just using it at first whenever I'd get a whole bunch of generals in the same area

ynPWCFg.jpg

Ended up being a lot of fun when I started fiddling with the other options

ntS9UIW.jpg

QoFFhD9.jpg

jxSH4yC.jpg

(This is gonna be my team when I get around to buying WO4. Link to other pics: https://imgur.com/a/seGlcyc )

Also this..

So, Empires or Xtreme is not totally off the table, yet.

Just read through all the tweets.

I'm glad we have a schedule (sort of) for the DLC. Sounds like it's November to May, and it's weapons, hypothetical stages and costumes. Weapons and costumes sound great, I don't really care about the hypotheticals though.

Co-op sounds like it's gonna be an amazing mess. Like the battle messages will probably take forever to update if players can just tackle two missions at once lol. Can't wait to see the co-op combos that will inevitably pop up though.

Also that whole bit about the informal costumes sounds ridiculous. Sounds incredibly short sighted that they really added costumes that you can't use outside of a tiny portion of the game.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my Others Characters video. Most of the Others characters were fun (except Zhang Jiao, who is trash). I also decided to bunch them in with Zhao Yun, since I don't have any plans to do a Shu video (and the spear is a Shu exclusive weapon)

I've also been playing a bunch of random characters (recently completed Zuo Ci's rehashed story, currently working on Jia Xu). Dunno if it's the AI that's been ramped up or if Jia Xu's variation sucks, but Chapter 5's been kicking my ass so far.

Just read through all the tweets.

I'm glad we have a schedule (sort of) for the DLC. Sounds like it's November to May, and it's weapons, hypothetical stages and costumes. Weapons and costumes sound great, I don't really care about the hypotheticals though.

Co-op sounds like it's gonna be an amazing mess. Like the battle messages will probably take forever to update if players can just tackle two missions at once lol. Can't wait to see the co-op combos that will inevitably pop up though.

Also that whole bit about the informal costumes sounds ridiculous. Sounds incredibly short sighted that they really added costumes that you can't use outside of a tiny portion of the game.

Oh man, i never even thought about the mission updates. Ugh...thats one of my biggest gripes about WO4 right now actually. Pisses me off.

Also, i agree about informal costumes. Seems pretty weird to just be able to use them in your house. Pretty much a waste. I mean realistically how much time are people spending in their houses?

As for Jia Xu, i find that odd. The AI must have been tweaked. Cause i know when i did his story on hard, he felt quite broken. I was able to juggle officers for days. That was quite a while back though.

Oct 25, 2017
As i thought, fan bas was pretty split down the middle. I really hope they dont go backwards with the eventual 10.

Seeing as they are continuing to patch the game with improvements and features, plus adding stuff via DLC 8+ months after release I'm less concerned now about them ditching this direction than I was before. I think if they were going to walk away from it they would have just fulfilled the season pass requirements and left it there.

OhNoMelon

Oct 26, 2017
They must be fairly happy with where the game is now because all that new DLC they talked about is getting a brand new £50 season pass. Looking forward to seeing the new costumes though because then models in the game are darn good.

http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/smusou8/info_dlc_seasonpass.html

Also I wonder if that 50/50 opinion split is entirely true. Seems like a fairly PR way to say that people hated it.