• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 11, 2017
I'll hold that L. Damn it Valve
5mlKpnp.gif

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I just want to say that I appreciate the Street Fighter team giving classic Capcom arcade references to the Final Fight characters.
  • Mad Gear got its name from a racing game, which might have informed Abigail's car-themed redesign
  • Holstein (the cow bonus item from several classic Capcom games) appears on Cody's underwear
  • Zeku is the original Strider
  • The War God (Bushin) from Forgotten Worlds appears on the back of Zeku's vest
  • Lucia's command dash is called Gun Smoke, which is also the name of a game where you take down outlaws as an Old West lawman (a fitting reference for a cop)

Wow this is cool. Those are some deep pulls.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Poison looks so horrible, omg. Just another character whose look was changed just for the sake of changing (like literally everyone but Ryu, Chun-Li, and Zangief), and so they can sell you the nostalgia premium costume later.

Her story costume looks amazing though!

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I've never been less excited about Street Fighter. Really can't wait for a refresh.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Poison looks so horrible, omg. Just another character whose look was changed just for the sake of changing (like literally everyone but Ryu, Chun-Li, and Zangief), and so they can sell you the nostalgia premium costume later.

Her story costume looks amazing though!

You got a pic of busted Sonya and come for poison? Also Atleast We don't have to listen to awful Rhonda Rousey as Sonya in our game ( Lord Jesus was she terrible at voice acting)

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Being manly and having that stern expression is Sonya's thing.

Poison's supossed to be a bombshell and she looks a joke in her new outfit with the one stocking etc.
As an aside, it's kind of ironic that the point of comparison for Poison in this current discussion is a character modeled after a transphobe (for MK11 specifically).

But seriously, while I am not a huge fan of the extra black cloth, Poison's new design isn't bad. Plus most of the new SFV designs for the veterans are either decent or great (Ex: Karin, Cody, Urien, Balrog, Sakura, Guile, etc.).

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
As an aside, it's kind of ironic that the point of comparison for Poison in this current discussion is a character modeled after a transphobe (for MK11 specifically).

But seriously, while I am not a huge fan of the extra black cloth, Poison's new design isn't bad. Plus most of the new SFV designs are either decent or great.
I respect the abs they gave her

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Poison is supposed to be 80s metal trashy and that's exactly what she looks like in SFV.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018

But seriously, while I am not a huge fan of the extra black cloth, Poison's new design isn't bad. Plus most of the new SFV designs are either decent or great.
I mean, I don't even think Sonya in MK11 was modeled after Ronda Rousey, and her being a homophobe or whatever has nothing to do with my initial point and comes across as a cheap jab because I hit a nerve with my comment, but you do you.

Hopefully the mods have the same energy to spot flamebait like this like they do when I comment on anything SFV.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Poison looks a joke, but hopefully she's fun to play like she was in Ultra 4.

Lucia is so whatever. She'll be the next Falke and will be forgotten in a month.

E.Honda is always a welcomed addition.

Looking forward to the SFV finals today at EVO.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine wanting everyone to look the same for 30 years

A lot of it is just changed for the sake of change. Why the hair color change, why the horrible new hairstyle .

Not to mention the face looking kida weird in general and not looking right the moment the character does any expression

Think they could have simply done a much better job

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of it is just changed for the sake of change. Why the hair color change, why the horrible new hairstyle .

Not to mention the face not looking right the moment the character does any expression

so they can sell you the "nostalgia" costume... duh!

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018

Not to mention the face not looking right the moment the character does any expression

This is true, but of course they'll just deflect and act like we want them to have the same dusty outfit for 30 years.

Guile's new design is amazing. Cody's new design is amazing. Juri's new desing is amazing. There are a lot of characters that got a new costume and rocking it. But then we have characters like Blanka or Poison, that got subtle changes (in Poison's case, she looks worse) and then I wonder why they even changed them.

Why does Blanka have a paid DLC nostalgia costume again?

Poison I don't think even needed a change. This is only her second (?) playable appearance in a Street Fighter. It's not like Ken who really needed a change because his design was getting boring.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This is true, but of course they'll just deflect and act like we want them to have the same rusty outfit for 30 years.

Guile's new design is amazing. Cody's new design is amazing. Juri's new desing is amazing. There are a lot of characters that got a new costume and rocking it. But then we have characters like Blanka or Poison, that got subtle changes (in Poison's case, she looks worse) and then I wonder why they even changed them.

Why does Blanka have a paid DLC nostalgia costume again?

Poison I don't think even needed a change. This is only her second (?) playable appearance in a Street Fighter. It's not like Ken who really needed a change because his design was getting boring.
I'm not too fond of Juri's to be honest, but I agree on Guile & Cody. It's not that it's a god-awful design, it's just not a great default.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Not to mention the face looking kida weird in general and not looking right the moment the character does any expression

Well yeah whether the redesign is good or not is a different matter, but fuck dude I don't want to look at the same stale ass designs for 20/30 years. Even if the redesign is ass at least attempt to change things up.

SUPARNOVAX

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
User Banned (1 week): transphobia
New Poison model looks great in hi-res. The redesign in her attire is subjective but I dig the short haircut. That's why there's a nostalgia costume for the rest of y'all ... lol

There's some possibility that they neutralized her face to be more transgendered from what I'm reading on some twitter reactions to the leaks over the week.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Well yeah whether the redesign is good or not is a different matter, but fuck dude I don't want to look at the same stale ass designs for 20/30 years. Even if the redesign is ass at least attempt to change things up.
But Blanka's hair a 1 inch longer n0w!1

Poison's hat color got changed to pink, she got a stocking in one leg (which looks extremely stupid) and she got Ronald McDonald's hairstyle. Is that worth being called a redesign? Feels like she got those subtle changes just so they can sell you the nostalgia costume.

Much different from Sakura/Cody/Guile/etc's case in which they put in actual work and effort into updating them.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
User Banned (1 week): transphobia
New Poison model looks great in hi-res. The redesign in her attire is subjective but I dig the short haircut. That's why there's a nostalgia costume for the rest of y'all ... lol

There's some possibility that they neutralized her face to be more transgendered from what I'm reading on some twitter reactions to the leaks over the week.
Wait, looking at the nostalgia costume I can see it. If that's the case then I applaud them for that. Still doesn't excuse the hideous new wig.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017

Poison's hat color got changed to pink, she got a stocking in one leg (which looks extremely stupid) and she got Ronald McDonald's hairstyle. Is that worth being called a redesign? Feels like she got those subtle changes just so they can sell you the nostalgia costume.

Much different from Sakura/Cody/Guile/etc's case in which they put in actual work and effort into updating them.
It is, by definition, a redesign. It doesn't matter how you feel about it.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Were you this upset with Sonya in MK11 having almost the exact same default costume she had in MKX?

SUPARNOVAX

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Wait, looking at the nostalgia costume I can see it. If that's the case then I applaud them for that. Still doesn't excuse the hideous new wig.
I mean, not for nothing, a lot of the 3d hair modeling is kind of the same from SF4 to now since they stuck with the Akiman artstyle. And I'm looking back at USF4/SFxT Poison, it didn't age well. I don't know what people really expect with redesigns. We have new and old (updated). I definitely would not have accepted something that looked the same from previous gen.

What would you do differently with the hair?

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes actually. I complained before, and after release about Sonya being the only character to not get a new default costume in MK11.

Fair enough then. I do agree with you in the sense that stuff like Blanka having a nostalgia costume despite having like two things different in his default is ridiculous, but I'd still rather they at least attempted to change things up every now and then.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
I mean, not for nothing, a lot of the 3d hair modeling is kind of the same from SF4 to now since they stuck with the Akiman artstyle. And I'm looking back at USF4/SFxT Poison, it didn't age well. I don't know what people really expect with redesigns. We have new and old (updated). I definitely would not have accepted something that looked the same from previous gen.

What would you do differently with the hair?
The model did not age well because SF4 was just an ugly game. Especially the SFxT versions. But the design still hold up. Poison is one character whose original design isn't stale in my opinion, and that's because she's been in such few games. Sakura or Ken desperately needed redesigns. I don't think Poison did.

And any hairstyle would be better. Her summer costume from SF4 hair was cute.
poison.jpg

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The model did not age well because SF4 was just an ugly game. Especially the SFxT versions. But the design still hold up. Poison is one character whose original design isn't stale in my opinion, and that's because she's been in such few games. Sakura or Ken desperately needed redesigns. I don't think Poison did.

And any hairstyle would be better. Her summer costume from SF4 hair was cute.
poison.jpg
I love the leg tattoo also

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
They also kinda took the "sexual aura", for a lack of a better way to describe it, away and toned down the dominatrix aspect.

Just the way the neutral pose looks, what Poison does in the victory animation and especially the super where instead of the opponent on their knees with Poison holding their head down while spanking their ass with the riding crop she uses, she gets them with the whip stomps them on the back to hold them down then violently whips the out of frame opponent

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
toned down the dominatrix aspect.
Just the way the neutral pose looks, what Poison does in the victory animation and especially the super where instead of the opponent on their knees with Poison holding their head down while spanking their ass with the riding crop she uses, she gets them with the whip stomps them on the back to hold them down then violently whips the out of frame opponent
Ah, I see you are a man of culture as well.gif

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I think the biggest problem with new Poison is that the hat isn't "fitted" on her head. Looks more like it is just on her head. If you compare SF4 with the new design it should be obvious because her hat was hiding her eye brows.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Her eye brows are also noticably higher at the end instead of being straight. Aside from that she looks very close to the SF4 model. I prefer the SF4 design more as it is more simplistic. The new one "flashy" which to be fair fits her personality.