• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

The Biden administration on Thursday placed the final cornerstone of its plan to tackle climate change: a regulation that would force the nation's coal-fired power plants to virtually eliminate the planet-warming pollution that they release into the air or shut down.

The regulation from the Environmental Protection Agency requires coal plants in the United States to reduce 90 percent of their greenhouse pollution by 2039, one year earlier than the agency had initially proposed. The compressed timeline was welcomed by climate activists but condemned by coal executives who said the new standards would be impossible to meet.

The E.P.A. also imposed three additional regulations on coal-burning power plants, including stricter limits on emissions of mercury, a neurotoxin linked to developmental damage in children, from plants that burn lignite coal, the lowest grade of coal. The rules also more tightly restrict the seepage of toxic ash from coal plants into water supplies and limit the discharge of wastewater from coal plants.

Taken together, the regulations could deliver a death blow in the United States to coal, the fuel that powered the country for much of the last century but has caused global environmental damage. When burned, coal emits more carbon dioxide than any other fuel source.

One thing to note, coal has been dying, just slowly. A capitalism success story really.

The coal industry in the United States has been on a precipitous decline for over a decade, as environmental regulations and a boom in natural gas, wind and solar power made it more expensive to burn coal, and power generation shifted toward those cheaper, cleaner sources of electricity. In 2023, coal-fired power plants generated 16.2 percent of the nation's electricity, according to the U.S. Energy Information Agency, down from a peak of 52 percent in 1990. There are about 200 coal-burning power plants still operating, with many concentrated in Pennsylvania, Texas and Indiana.

Mango Pilot

Apr 8, 2024
Really happy biden's admin state is aware of the CRA and getting these things out now. The CRA is a horrible law that not only rolls back regulations but bans them in the future. Saving them from that fate will blunt trump's potential damage if god forbid that's needed.

The Biden admin state offices are extremely competent, these are the reasons I'm so happy to vote for him in November over a man who wants to destroy the possibility of government doing good things.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
So, I'll be the Debby downer. How easy would this be to reverse if, say, a genuine gremlin was put back into office?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always skeptical of long term initiatives like this because at some point a republican will get back into the White House and it all goes away. But maybe if we're lucky this will be a case of the technology changing enough where it won't matter if it gets overturned and they do it anyway.

Mango Pilot

Apr 8, 2024
So, I'll be the Debby downer. How easy would this be to reverse if, say, a genuine gremlin was put back into office?
They'd have to go through a rule making process which would delay it, and that would be subject to court challenges which would give liberal judges the same power to do the whole CA5 shit.
It will push industry to invest in cleaner alternatives even if weakened.

That's the problem with this court likely overturning Chevron, it just turns this into a judge shopping exercise instead of trusting experts. And ironically Chevron, as its name suggests, was about trusting Reagan's EPA experts (Gorsuch's mom) in order to weaken regulations.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how meaningful it would be if he did. I believe I'd read even a few years ago that just maintaining an existing coal plant costs more than outright building a new solar or wind installation, much less something less polluting but still non-renewable like natural gas. It will get to a point where the owners of such plants are just keeping them open to be like coal rollers on the roads while basically throwing away money.

Mango Pilot

Apr 8, 2024
I'm not sure how meaningful it would be if he did. I believe I'd read even a few years ago that just maintaining an existing coal plant costs more than outright building a new solar or wind installation, much less something less polluting but still non-renewable like natural gas. It will get to a point where the owners of such plants are just keeping them open to be like coal rollers on the roads while basically throwing away money.
This is about pushing them to be unprofitable even faster.

I'm always skeptical of long term initiatives like this because at some point a republican will get back into the White House and it all goes away. But maybe if we're lucky this will be a case of the technology changing enough where it won't matter if it gets overturned and they do it anyway.
This is an excuse to do nothing. You can't stop acting because of potential changes.

Industry also has to plan for both outcomes or they'll be fucked by competition that does. So even with weakened rules they'll be forced to invest in new tech which benefits everyone.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

What's funny is that fossil fuels are heavily subsidized by the US government, while renewables have to face the full force of the markets and are succeeding.

Former President Donald J. Trump, who is campaigning to return to the White House, has said he would overturn the regulation if he defeats Mr. Biden in November.

"I will cancel Biden's power plant rule," Mr. Trump said in a video address on his campaign website, adding that wind and solar energy "doesn't work" because they are subsidized. That claim is false; fossil fuels receive billions of dollars annually in federal subsidies and wind and solar generate electricity more cheaply than oil, gas or coal even without extra financial help.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
This is an excuse to do nothing. You can't stop acting because of potential changes.

Industry also has to plan for both outcomes or they'll be fucked by competition that does. So even with weakened rules they'll be forced to invest in new tech which benefits everyone.

I never said don't do anything. It's just that my enthusiasm is muted because I know how easily it will be stopped.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
Is there any signs that Republicans are slowly turning around on this matter? Even slightly?

I agree with Dems on almost all points but if I were a single issue voter it would be climate, and I desperately want the other side to finally see the light. It makes me so depressed

Mango Pilot

Apr 8, 2024
Is there any signs that Republicans are slowly turning around on this matter? Even slightly?

I agree with Dems on almost all points but if I were a single issue voter it would be climate, and I desperately want the other side to finally see the light. It makes me so depressed
Nationally? Culturally? No. I don't think you will for another two-three presidential cycles.

But places like Texas and other GOP states are greatly expanding renewables. They're just fighting any limits on carbon pollution and localities going above GOP gerrymandered legislatures.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I sometimes think about how back during the Obama administration there was a push to help transition coal workers to new industries. In the articles I read a lot of the free trainings and education they got was used by them to further their career in coal. Because they didn't believe the projections that in the next 15 or so years coal would shrink and be replaced with other energy sources. I wonder how those people have been feeling the past 3-4 years

Mango Pilot

Apr 8, 2024
I sometimes think about how back during the Obama administration there was a push to help transition coal workers to new industries. In the articles I read a lot of the free trainings and education they got was used by them to further their career in coal. Because they didn't believe the projections that in the next 15 or so years coal would shrink and be replaced with other energy sources. I wonder how those people have been feeling the past 3-4 years
Screaming about woke

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It is immensely frustrating how many on the left — including on this forum — often characterize Democrats as the party of "better things aren't possible," yet whenever Biden does anything good or progressive it's immediately hit with "doesn't matter cuz SCOTUS." Like fucking hell, there's nothing wrong with celebrating when something good happens. And if a Republican president or court does indeed try to overturn it, let that be another thing to help disabuse you of "both parties are the same and Dems don't actually want to do anything."

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Others have alluded to this, but I'll put it simply - all it takes is Biden getting a second term for most of his environmental executive actions to stick. Even if a Republican is elected in 2028, by the time the repeal of the rules have gone through, there will have been so much momentum and planning (you can't just pray for a better rule in 6 years) that this will build upon itself. Not to mention a more liberal makeup of the courts.
Honestly I don't even think it will take a different president, the Supreme Court will probably do it as soon as someone sues about it.
He's purposefully overprovisioning on climate moves, however, so that only some, not all need to survive (for now at least).

Last edited:

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
Others have alluded to this, but I'll put it simply - all it takes is Biden getting a second term for most of his environmental executive actions to stick. Even if a Republican is elected in 2028, by the time the rules have gone through, there will have been so much momentum and planning (you can't just pray for a better rule in 6 years) that this will build upon itself. Not to mention a more liberal makeup of the courts.

He's purposefully overprovisioning on climate moves, however, so that only some, not all need to survive (for now at least).

I feel more anxiety about this election than I did about 2020

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Nationally? Culturally? No. I don't think you will for another two-three presidential cycles.

But places like Texas and other GOP states are greatly expanding renewables. They're just fighting any limits on carbon pollution and localities going above GOP gerrymandered legislatures.

Texas has completely inadvertently become a renewables powerhouse just by a combination of geography (it's both sunny and windy) and low regulation on land use, so companies can buy a plot a land and very quickly turn it into a solar/wind farm, without the years-long permitting process you'd get in a lot of other places. The local GOP is angry about it — business is supposed to be about owning the libs! — but it's basically their capitalist ethos working the way they say it's supposed to, business quickly moving to offer an in demand product through the cheapest means available.

Laephis

Jun 25, 2021

"The coal industry in the United States has been on a precipitous decline for over a decade, as environmental regulations and a boom in natural gas, wind and solar power made it more expensive to burn coal, and power generation shifted toward those cheaper, cleaner sources of electricity."

One thing to note, coal has been dying, just slowly. A capitalism success story really.

While it's fantastic that coal is dying, natural gas is not really cleaner. It's actually just methane, which leaks all over the place and is a much worse greenhouse gas than CO2. The gas industry has done an incredible job green washing their product as a "bridge fuel" but it's a freaking joke. Highly recommend this video for more details:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2oL4SFwkkw

www.youtube.com

Natural Gas Is Scamming America | Climate Town

Finally, a bridge to nowhere! Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/ClimateTown sUbScRiBe FoR mOrE ViDeOs: https://www.youtube.com/c/climatetown?sub_confirmation=...

froday

Jul 29, 2018
Yeah I was gonna say, this change feels somewhat toothless considering the ratio of coal power to natural gas that we have now. We can start to reverse the worst effects of climate change, but we need to work faster.

But anything to fully kill coal forever is nice.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Over here in the UK, home of Coal and the Industrial Revolution, we're just about to shut down our very last Coal fired power plant:

www.theguardian.com

End times for the UK’s final coal-fired power station

At Ratcliffe-on-Soar in Nottinghamshire, the turbines will stop spinning for good this year as the UK meets its pledge to ban coal use. We meet staff proud of the site’s 56-year history

3e120c9fa45e5437fa8a0bbb3da7bd44.png

A better world, a world without Coal, is possible.