• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Jedi: Fallen Order definitely isn't The Force Unleashed again.

"We all loved the 'feeling overpowered' nature of [Star Wars: The Force Unleashed], but the story anchors this in a different sort of time. You're on the run. It's not the time to be flashy and use all the best powers," said Jedi: Fallen Order writer Megan Fausti, who walked me through the demo. "I think Star Wars as a franchise has sort of moved away from that as well, since the canonizing of everything and moving away from Legends. Trying to really ground it. Jedi don't feel like gods, they are people. People with amazing powers, but powers can only get you so far."
giphy.gif

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When it looks like Cal is fighting with a light up baseball bat and not a lightsaber. It still won't feel right.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
The game is getting praise everywhere and that's good, the demo was a bad showing but apparently not a lot of people were disappointed, ERA on the other hand...

I'm looking forward to this and am happy it's getting good feedback. Glad I don't listen to anything about videogames from this site otherwise I'd hate everything.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
hands on impressions sound good at least, thought the gameplay trailer looked lame but it sounds like it plays a bit better. Want to see more of the semi open world Metroid Prime stuff.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
"Jedi Fallen Order is in fact structured like the original KOTOR -- that is, with a ship you can do stuff in besides travel to other planets (like talk to your crew or do other little interactive things), noncombat areas where you can talk to NPCs, multiple dialogue options, and the freedom to go back and forth to any planets you've visited"

This sounds promising!
Which article is that one from? Sounds delish.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
The protagonist could not be more boring but everything else is looking great. Respawn has earned my full trust after Apex Legends. I cannot wait to play this next year on EA Access.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I thought the demo looked great and it disappoints me that this forum seems jaded as hell. I mean I watched it and thought 'yeah' that's a respawn Star Wars game and I want it.

OP
OP
Lifejumper

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
There's actually a strange trend at E3 this year, of companies seeming to purposefully make their games look less interesting than they actually are. Marvel's Avengers looked okay at Square Enix's unveil event, but it was remarkably more impressive in the behind the scenes footage we saw later and will write a preview for shortly. But it was Fallen Order that was the most misleading, going from a game we'd already written off to one of our most anticipated games of the year.

When EA revealed the first Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order gameplay at EA Play 2019, the reaction was mixed. Its traversal looked torn straight from Uncharted, the levels seemed linear, and the lightsaber combat – while cinematic – did not look particularly complex. After 15 minutes of hands-on time with a saber-heavy section of the game, I'm delighted to say that Fallen Order's combat is challenging, complex, and brutally punishing.

Last edited:

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've read the previews and to be honest I'm not really sure what to make of it. Yeah they talk about depth and nuance in the combat but all this stuff is pretty typical for a middle of the road character action game and not all that impressive of itself. Even more so when it looks like the enemies, even the tough ones, are a bit of a joke. Obviously stage demos are tuned to be easy so no one dies but I'm not sure what skill is going to be needed when you can just hold block and one shot a lot of storm troopers. Will wait to see more but I'm still "meh" on this one so far.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
looks fun but needs more severed limbs and heads flying around. No gore/blood needed since laser cauterizes wounds.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Metroidvania structure+dialogue options+Respawn just gives me so much confidence that this will be great.
It gets better, they were inspired by Metriod Prime, which to me, is still the pinnacle of 3D Metriodvania.
looks fun but needs more severed limbs and heads flying around. No gore/blood needed since laser cauterizes wounds.
Also this. Starwars movies have them, i dont see it being a Lucasarts thing.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
They need to change the level design, though. It was completely uninspired by the demo they've showed.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
The game is getting praise everywhere and that's good, the demo was a bad showing but apparently not a lot of people were disappointed, ERA on the other hand...

Not me!!!!

Enjoyed every second of that demo and can't wait for them to release the extended one they were talking about. They are supposed to release an extra 12 minutes of footage on top of what they showed.

Can't wait!

Zedelima

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I really want to be excited for this, but its been hard for me
They only showed combat. Where's the planets? Where's the set-pieces? Im fine with linear paths, but only if it doesn't have this pace "walk-battle-walk"
DmcV is that, and the only thing that made me finish was the boss fights, that are fucking awesome, i was bored for 90% os the game
If they only rely on the combat to bring fun, is a pass for me. Currently is "wait for more info to buy"

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I didn't understand the response to the reveal at the time, and now that people are playing it, I'm understanding even less.
There were people even criticising the graphics (that are great, since they are aiming for 60 fps) and the animations (looks miles ahead Shadow of the Tomb Raider and other big titles).
Felt like I was watching a different demo

Respawn will do right, just wait and see

Jun 17, 2018
Nothing impresses this forum unless it's called Bloodborne.

Fallen Order looks fucking badass which was evident from the E3 trailer. Respawn have done a great job from what the impressions suggest and that trailer was everything I expected from a star wars game. It can't release quick enough in my opinion.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I really dont know why people were down on this initial reveal. It looked awesome and its Respawn.

OP
OP
Lifejumper

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how a single player demonstation of Titanfall 2 would have been received here.

Oh well.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Era was wrong?

4ac.gif

Remember the reveal of games like God of War , Monster Hunter World... They were trashed here.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the game was called gravity rush 3 era would be all over it.
ERA said Detective Pikachu was a lock for a billion...
Nothing impresses this forum unless it's called Bloodborne.

Fallen Order looks fucking badass which was evident from the E3 trailer. Respawn have done a great job from what the impressions suggest and that trailer was everything I expected from a star wars game. It can't release quick enough in my opinion.
Era was wrong?

4ac.gif

Remember the reveal of games like God of War , Monster Hunter World... They were trashed here.

Who is ERA?

Edit: In all seriousness, this constant hivemind bull is genuinely irritating.

sweetvar26

Oct 26, 2017
Milky Way Galaxy
The one thing you don't have to worry about Respawn is that they usually nail the gameplay. Happened with the COD series and then the Titanfall series. So I'm going in blindly based on that.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't aware of the parry system or combos. Sounds more promising than what I saw of the gameplay demo. I guess the biggest thing I didn't care for was the giant spiders. Seemed out of place.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I really hate "you can backtrack to early areas once you get that cool ability 7 areas away", it's never ear worth the time and effort from a gameplay perspective and just feels like busy work.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
They need to change the level design, though. It was completely uninspired by the demo they've showed.
Levels loop back on each other and many paths are blocked off and require upgraded gear to unlock new areas.

According to easy allies, lots of areas in the demo were blocked off that you could actually explore.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I don't think Disney would let them make a hardcore Souls game for Star Wars, similar sure. Which, I am happy with.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
When it looks like Cal is fighting with a light up baseball bat and not a lightsaber. It still won't feel right.

I keep seeing this and I don't agree. The breaking of the defense system to actually damage enemies (which can basically one strike a lot of the weaker enemies) seems like a good video game compromise, that doesn't look or act like a baseball bat. Maybe I need to watch gameplay again, but I like this idea.