E3 - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Hands-On Impressions

OP
OP
Lifejumper

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
EA mentioned that the level design shown in the demo was exclusive for e3, because they wanted people to quickly finish the demo.

Impressions start @ 2:18:50

ced

Oct 27, 2017
The demo they showed did look like shit, trailer during the MS conf looked good though. I think this is going to turn out great and glad the impressions are good.

illamap

Oct 28, 2017
sounds like one of the few games worth playing on "hard" for me
I thought the same about God of war too, but it ended up being too spongy and punishing. I sort of think the wisest thing to do a good melee game would be make fairly challenging default difficulty are really fine tune it like dark souls and then just make an easy difficulty as an "afterthought", that is just easy for those that don't want challenge in their games.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
EA mentioned that the level design shown in the demo was exclusive for e3, because they wanted people to quickly finish the demo.

Impressions start @ 2:18:50
Thanks for posting this. I was watching it yesterday thinking I should add it to this thread but work got in the way.

They even say in that video that not only was the level designed differently, but the AI difficulty as well. Apparently the force bar was set to never deplete in the demo we saw from EA Play also. I’m thinking this game will actually be pretty hard and might have some nice depth to the levels comeback release. Definitely excited.

Jiminy

Avenger
Mar 29, 2018
I sleep.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
You really expected Sekiro level challenge and intensity from a Star Wars branded game?

You know, one of the largest, most cherished and most family friendly brands in the world?

You expect a game that 7 year olds will be excited to pick up and play to be as unforgiving and complex as one of the most difficult and mature games ever made?

Morrigan

Armoring
Oct 24, 2017
You really expected Sekiro level challenge and intensity from a Star Wars branded game?

You know, one of the largest, most cherished and most family friendly brands in the world?

You expect a game that 7 year olds will be excited to pick up and play to be as unforgiving and complex as one of the most difficult and mature games ever made?
To be fair, Battletoads on NES was for kids, and kids still played it

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Levels loop back on each other and many paths are blocked off and require upgraded gear to unlock new areas.

According to easy allies, lots of areas in the demo were blocked off that you could actually explore.
Oh, that's awesome!
Now they need to fix the enemy placement and make them more interesting and aggresive.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

How did I ever beat Super Mario Bros. as a kid with its insane difficulty? Also, what are difficulty options? Also, why is a 7 year old playing a rated T game?

Jiminy

Avenger
Mar 29, 2018
To be fair, Battletoads on NES was for kids, and kids still played it
How did I ever beat Super Mario Bros. as a kid with its insane difficulty? Also, what are difficulty options? Also, why is a 7 year old playing a rated T game?
Didn't know it was T rated, that's fair.

And yeah I went ham on the "difficulty" angle there, but I'm more talking about being punishing. The 80s and early 90s were a very different era where reliably good games we're like gold dust, so you stuck through the nasty challenge because there was FA else to play. This is not the case today.

More importantly Sekiro is best in class combat with lots of Peru serious violence, mature themes and punishing users for mistakes. A big brand nowadays will want to avoid any "quit hurdles" (as in points which will make you put down the controller) as much as possible. There's no way expecting Jedi: Fallen Order to even remotely resemble Sekiro is reasonable or realistic.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Looks generally positive, I'm excited about the branching levels. And the map in the demo instantly reminded me of Metroid Prime, maybe the best map in a 3D game. As a big Jedi Outcast fan, I'm a little disappointed that there's no dismemberment but oh well.
Will probably pay for a month of Origin Access when it comes out.

OP
OP
Lifejumper

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
After spending roughly 40 minutes with the game and chatting with game director Stig Asmussen, I’m confident it has the potential to be the narrative Star Wars title fans have been yearning for. It tells its story like an interactive Star Wars film in the best ways, looks and plays like a deep and engaging action-adventure should, and has lightsaber combat that’s downright exhilarating.

asagami_

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I haven't seen any trailer (I guess only the initial teaser from a few months ago?) and I'm excited for the game, because I have never played a Star War games before and this look/sounds more interesting to my sensibilities.

IrieDailyX

Nov 12, 2017
Belgium
It does look good. Pretty excited about this game. Only the main char is kinda lame. And i just don't want to see any of that helicopter lightsaber stuff. It's gonna be in for sure.

Border

Oct 25, 2017
It does look good. Pretty excited about this game. Only the main char is kinda lame. And i just don't want to see any of that helicopter lightsaber stuff. It's gonna be in for sure.
For sure?

Even though Clone Wars and Rebels are technically canon, I suspect that they really don't want to revisit any of the helicopter lightsaber nonsense.