• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
In short, Jedi Fallen Order's combat is deeper than it looks. Combos, parries, and counters define the combat experience. For instance, deflecting the blaster shots of Stormtroopers has two parts. You can hold LB down to simply block; when you do, blaster rounds won't hit you, but they'll deflect away. To actually counter them and send them back at your attacker, you have to tap LB at just the right moment in order to parry the shot

The X button handles basic attacks, but if you can land a hit and then time your successive button presses correctly, you'll do a three-hit combo. Alternatively, if you dodge out of the way of an incoming attack with the B button and then strike, you'll earn a counter as well. It's even more fun if you time the LB block on an attack properly. Again, tap it just as the enemy's attack is about to strike you and it opens them up (well, the lower-level Stormtroopers, anyway) for a finisher.

Jedi Fallen Order is in fact structured like the original KOTOR -- that is, with a ship you can do stuff in besides travel to other planets (like talk to your crew or do other little interactive things), noncombat areas where you can talk to NPCs, multiple dialogue options, and the freedom to go back and forth to any planets you've visited -

At this stage, it feels like Respawn has done a good job of having a two-tiered gameplay experience, with the first being one that can be enjoyed by those looking for a simple but satisfying, almost button-mashy style of combat. The second, however, offers greater depth for those who want it, inviting them to consider how they approach each scenario, how best they can use their abilities and Force powers to give themselves the edge, and then executing in an efficient way.

The Respawn producer who walks me through my 45-minute hands-on session at E3 2019 admits to having been a bit disappointed by the response to the game's showing during the EA Play press conference last weekend. Onlookers said it looked a bit too easy, a little too linear, maybe a tad too basic. Not a bit of it

...... That segues into another aspect of Fallen Order and that's that Respawn is sprinkling in a few Metroidvania ideas. BD-1 can receive upgrades over the course of the game whenever Cal finds a technician bench. These upgrades will open up new areas in the current stage, as well as in previous stages. Cal can backtrack to any world while in a hub area, where he can put BD-1's new abilities, as well as his own, to good use.

Having now tried out the game for ourselves, I can now say I have a greater anticipation for the first single-player Star Wars story to come along in years.

USgamer: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usgamer.net/amp/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-hands-on

Newsweek:

Youtubers (game changers):

Eckhartsladder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLKtGewlT6g
Battlefrontupdates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uwaU8F8q1s
HelloGreedo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKDKi6NA5pg
Star Wars explained: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF8KgFQlezQ

They also confirmed that they turned on unlimited force powers for the demo that they showed during EA play.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
This all sounds great. But I was one of those who thought the gameplay demo looked good too, and I noticed these nuances in the combat that were pretty cool.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
The game is getting praise everywhere and that's good, the demo was a bad showing but apparently not a lot of people were disappointed, ERA on the other hand...

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I just wanted to see a set-piece or exciting moment

Because so far, you just walk, battle, walk with nothing that distract us from that. I now that they will hide that because of "spoilers", but still...

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I dunno I thought the demo they showed was pretty bland both the sequence and the character and pretty safe combat but I'm hoping it was just a poor sequence that someone thought it gave us a glimpse of all the mechanics well enough. The impressions that the combat is deeper than it appeared is a good sign and I'm definitely willing to look past the demo.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
This all sounds great. But I was one of those who thought the gameplay demo looked good too, and I noticed these nuances in the combat that were pretty cool.

Same. I had wrote a whole reply in the gameplay reveal thread, but just ended up deleting it. It was hard to wrap my head around the ho-hum response to what I saw as combat with depth.

Really looking forward to seeing more. I have a feeling this game is going to surprise many people.

The game is getting praise everywhere and that's good, the demo was a bad showing but apparently not a lot of people were disappointed, ERA on the other hand...

People here have been down on the game since the reveal of the main character. Folks keep saying it everything about the game is "generic" but I'm just not seeing it. This is exactly what I have wanted from a SP Star Wars game.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
I just wish the lightsaber didn't feel like a baton.

You have arguably the coolest weapon in any media and yet, it hits like a Deku Stick.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
GamesRadar said:
In Sekiro, you need to perfectly time several parries in a row simply to stay alive. Here, on the rank and file at least, one good parry is all you need to blow their defences open. The timing window is generous in the extreme, at least in the E3 demo – I'm told it's considerably smaller in the game being built back at Respawn, but even with stricter timing this is no Souls-like game in terms of difficulty.

I sleep.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Yeah, the protagonist is bland, but I thought the demo looked great. And it sounds like the combat system is solid. Can't wait for this one.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
I feel like the response for this game isn't nearly adequate for just how good of a game this really is. I believe it's going to be an all time classic that will be mentioned alongside JK2 and KOTOR. This is the most hype game at E3 and one we'll still be talking about 5, 10 years from now.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's good to hear! It sounds like a lot of the positive feedback from the demo is something that is hard to translate to video, especially with the timed button presses to reflect blastshots and the like. Wonder if they have considered releasing a small demo to the public so people can really feel what it's like since this game is combat heavy.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
If the game isn't challenging, all that nuance will be useless. And having a hard mode is not good enough. Hard modes are never great because the game isn't designed around difficulty like a Souls game.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
"Jedi Fallen Order is in fact structured like the original KOTOR -- that is, with a ship you can do stuff in besides travel to other planets (like talk to your crew or do other little interactive things), noncombat areas where you can talk to NPCs, multiple dialogue options, and the freedom to go back and forth to any planets you've visited"

This sounds promising!

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
It looks like they have the combat down, and that's half the battle. If it's Sekiro-lite I'll be pretty happy.

But the demo itself did not impress from a worldbuilding and character view. They couldn't have chosen a blander segment to show off.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
lol, were you expecting brutal Sekiro difficulty in a Star Wars game bruh?

I'm hoping that on Hard mode it's still sufficiently challenging and rewarding to pull off the fancy moves.

Is it confirmed this game has difficulty settings? I'm gonna play it either way because to me the demo looked pretty nice already, but if it has a serious challenge past what a Disney mainstream game could offer, I'll be really excited. Put those mechanics to good use.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to this game but with the new movie out in December and EAs history with Battlefield and Battlefront sales only a month after release (not to mention TF2) there's no way I buy this day one. There's a good chance it goes on sale, whether it does well or not, for $20-30 off within 30-45 days

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
I'm excited for it because I trust Respawn to deliver fun gameplay at the very least. I'm interested in the story as well and hope it's a good one but more than anything I want a fun Star Wars game to play and I'm very confident this will be that.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
That demo was so damn linear,after playing so many open world games lately it was pretty jarring.......but everything I've heard since suggests it could be pretty great.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
I'm one of those disappointed by the first showing (seemed overly easy with braindead AI) but I'm still hyped because it's Respawn after all. Also they turned unlimited powers on for that demo, now I know it's barely representative of the final game. Hope they do release that closed doors demo soon!

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
People here have been down on the game since the reveal of the main character. Folks keep saying it everything about the game is "generic" but I'm just not seeing it. This is exactly what I have wanted from a SP Star Wars game.
Yeah, this is the type of game I've been waiting for from these new Star Wars games so I'm very excited for this.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everything I'm reading about this sounds cool, but the first thing I saw was that EA gameplay demo and it didn't look super great. Still plenty interested in the full product after hearing all the impressions.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
I'm hyped as hell for this game! Everything I've seen looks fantastic, Although I'm a huge Star Wars fan so maybe easier to please than most. But yeah, cant wait : )