• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Lifejumper

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
EA mentioned that the level design shown in the demo was exclusive for e3, because they wanted people to quickly finish the demo.

Impressions start @ 2:18:50

ced

Oct 27, 2017
The demo they showed did look like shit, trailer during the MS conf looked good though. I think this is going to turn out great and glad the impressions are good.

illamap

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
sounds like one of the few games worth playing on "hard" for me

I thought the same about God of war too, but it ended up being too spongy and punishing. I sort of think the wisest thing to do a good melee game would be make fairly challenging default difficulty are really fine tune it like dark souls and then just make an easy difficulty as an "afterthought", that is just easy for those that don't want challenge in their games.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
EA mentioned that the level design shown in the demo was exclusive for e3, because they wanted people to quickly finish the demo.

Impressions start @ 2:18:50

Thanks for posting this. I was watching it yesterday thinking I should add it to this thread but work got in the way.

They even say in that video that not only was the level designed differently, but the AI difficulty as well. Apparently the force bar was set to never deplete in the demo we saw from EA Play also. I'm thinking this game will actually be pretty hard and might have some nice depth to the levels comeback release. Definitely excited.

Mar 29, 2018
I sleep.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
You really expected Sekiro level challenge and intensity from a Star Wars branded game?

You know, one of the largest, most cherished and most family friendly brands in the world?

You expect a game that 7 year olds will be excited to pick up and play to be as unforgiving and complex as one of the most difficult and mature games ever made?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
You really expected Sekiro level challenge and intensity from a Star Wars branded game?

You know, one of the largest, most cherished and most family friendly brands in the world?

You expect a game that 7 year olds will be excited to pick up and play to be as unforgiving and complex as one of the most difficult and mature games ever made?
To be fair, Battletoads on NES was for kids, and kids still played it

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Levels loop back on each other and many paths are blocked off and require upgraded gear to unlock new areas.

According to easy allies, lots of areas in the demo were blocked off that you could actually explore.

Oh, that's awesome!
Now they need to fix the enemy placement and make them more interesting and aggresive.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

How did I ever beat Super Mario Bros. as a kid with its insane difficulty? Also, what are difficulty options? Also, why is a 7 year old playing a rated T game?

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
its very hard to take a preview that gushes about pressing the attack button several times to perform a combo seriously

Mar 29, 2018
To be fair, Battletoads on NES was for kids, and kids still played it
How did I ever beat Super Mario Bros. as a kid with its insane difficulty? Also, what are difficulty options? Also, why is a 7 year old playing a rated T game?

Didn't know it was T rated, that's fair.

And yeah I went ham on the "difficulty" angle there, but I'm more talking about being punishing. The 80s and early 90s were a very different era where reliably good games we're like gold dust, so you stuck through the nasty challenge because there was FA else to play. This is not the case today.

More importantly Sekiro is best in class combat with lots of Peru serious violence, mature themes and punishing users for mistakes. A big brand nowadays will want to avoid any "quit hurdles" (as in points which will make you put down the controller) as much as possible. There's no way expecting Jedi: Fallen Order to even remotely resemble Sekiro is reasonable or realistic.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Looks generally positive, I'm excited about the branching levels. And the map in the demo instantly reminded me of Metroid Prime, maybe the best map in a 3D game. As a big Jedi Outcast fan, I'm a little disappointed that there's no dismemberment but oh well.
Will probably pay for a month of Origin Access when it comes out.

OP
OP
Lifejumper

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
After spending roughly 40 minutes with the game and chatting with game director Stig Asmussen, I'm confident it has the potential to be the narrative Star Wars title fans have been yearning for. It tells its story like an interactive Star Wars film in the best ways, looks and plays like a deep and engaging action-adventure should, and has lightsaber combat that's downright exhilarating.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen any trailer (I guess only the initial teaser from a few months ago?) and I'm excited for the game, because I have never played a Star War games before and this look/sounds more interesting to my sensibilities.

IrieDailyX

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Belgium
It does look good. Pretty excited about this game. Only the main char is kinda lame. And i just don't want to see any of that helicopter lightsaber stuff. It's gonna be in for sure.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It does look good. Pretty excited about this game. Only the main char is kinda lame. And i just don't want to see any of that helicopter lightsaber stuff. It's gonna be in for sure.
For sure?

Even though Clone Wars and Rebels are technically canon, I suspect that they really don't want to revisit any of the helicopter lightsaber nonsense.

IrieDailyX

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Belgium
For sure?

Even though Clone Wars and Rebels are technically canon, I suspect that they really don't want to revisit any of the helicopter lightsaber nonsense.
Well, I hope so. Just seeing that lightsaber design in the game, makes me doubtful.
Inquisition1-pc-games_b2article_artwork.jpg

WightnNerdy

Oct 27, 2017
London, Ontario
Listening to Brad talk the game on the most recent Giant Beastcast has peaked my interest. I thought this game was going to be a lame Uncharted rip-off, but Metroid elements like Arkham Asylum? Count me in!

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I can understand doubting EA and their history with the Star Wars liscence. But I never doubted respawn. They are a gameplay first company.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
But people complained that it wasn't cinematic enough...

It wasn't.

If you're going for a "cinematic" experience, then you have to get us invested in the story and characters. That demo did not. That's why Star Wars 1313 was a better demo, especially a "cinematic" demo. I said it before, but the demo failed to sell me on the concept of the game. I wasn't sold on the story and I wasn't sold on the gameplay as apparently the gameplay shown isn't representative of what the game actually is.

Like, imagine Cyberpunk 2077 showing off a "demo" that was just a FPS shooter level with no role-playing or real story bits. And then after all the devs being like, "oh no, this is an RPG with choice, stats, and customization we just didn't want to show that stuff off because it doesn't demo as well." We'd all be like, "ummmm...what?"

Sell me on the actual game.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
It wasn't.

If you're going for a "cinematic" experience, then you have to get us invested in the story and characters. That demo did not. That's why Star Wars 1313 was a better demo, especially a "cinematic" demo. I said it before, but the demo failed to sell me on the concept of the game. I wasn't sold on the story and I wasn't sold on the gameplay as apparently the gameplay shown isn't representative of what the game actually is.

Like, imagine Cyberpunk 2077 showing off a "demo" that was just a FPS shooter level with no role-playing or real story bits. And then after all the devs being like, "oh no, this is an RPG with choice, stats, and customization we just didn't want to show that stuff off because it doesn't demo as well." We'd all be like, "ummmm...what?"

Sell me on the actual game.
I can agree that it's a bad idea to present a demo that isn't representative, and I can't explain why they did that, but I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about Wolfgung's assertion that their reason was to show a cinematic setpiece, when in reality, it was the opposite...

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I'm wondering if this is a deliberate effort to make the game look worse than it is, so that when the game comes out it might get glowing reviews from everyone? I mean, this is EA we're talking about. The game has Star Wars, it's going to sell. They're not going to get goodwill before the game comes out. Getting some positive press AFTER the game comes out could be a good look for them after all the recent controversy. "I was pleasantly surprised that this game was not, in fact, a watered down Uncharted clone but actually... like... a game! EA looks like it's turning itself around."

The game actually didn't look to bad to me from the demo (I also like Star Wars and haven't played a ton of this gens AAA third person action games, so maybe that's why). It looks like a pretty good action adventure game if they don't indulge in too much of the "using walking in place of cutscenes" stuff. I'll believe the Metroid stuff when I see it, but if it's actually there, this game might have my attention.

Oct 29, 2017
I really want to be excited for this, but its been hard for me
They only showed combat. Where's the planets? Where's the set-pieces? Im fine with linear paths, but only if it doesn't have this pace "walk-battle-walk"
DmcV is that, and the only thing that made me finish was the boss fights, that are fucking awesome, i was bored for 90% os the game
If they only rely on the combat to bring fun, is a pass for me. Currently is "wait for more info to buy"

The only way you were bored "90% of the time" in DMC5 is if you were button mashing through the game or simply unable to wrap your head around the depth of the combat. Creativity and combat exploration are the name of the game when it comes to Devil May Cry

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
If the game isn't challenging, all that nuance will be useless. And having a hard mode is not good enough. Hard modes are never great because the game isn't designed around difficulty like a Souls game.

This is what I don't get. Some will praise the game for having "depth" in the combat, but when the encounters are not set up to encourage their use to bypass them, what's the point other than simply having more buttons to press, "just because it looks cool"? I'll never understand why some think having more abilities makes for a more satisfying experience if the encounters themselves are habitually mundane, since they are balanced around button mashing.

Finally, a game that makes you feel like Batman Spider-Man a Jedi.

If you want to be strictly technical about it, maybe. The first Mass Effect did it though in 2007.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan, but I can't help but feel apathetic towards this game. Maybe it's because the protagonist seems like a really boring choice, or because the gameplay video didn't impress me much, there's just something about it.

It also might be that I'm just sick of Jedi. It feels like we've had this game numerous times now, and this is just a modern/new take on it. I think I'd be way more hyped if it was about something/someone else, I don't know. Imagine if Respawn had taken certain gameplay cues from Apex and made a spiritual successor to Republic Commando instead - to me something like that would be way more exciting. Star Wars has been continually boiled down to "Jedi and everything else" and it's getting boring af.

Or something like what 1313 promised to be, I don't know.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017

It's really, really, really hard to show off a metroidvania game in a short, pre-release demo like this, especially when that same demo is also the big gameplay reveal. The best way might be to essentially do the demo twice (here's the first time you enter this area, and here's a later time), but there just isn't time, especially when you have to introduce the gameplay to begin with. And there are other problems with that approach. Maybe some of the other areas aren't finished yet or maybe they require some powers that marketing doesn't want to reveal. It very quickly becomes unfeasible.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
If the game isn't challenging, all that nuance will be useless. And having a hard mode is not good enough. Hard modes are never great because the game isn't designed around difficulty like a Souls game.
This is what I don't get. Some will praise the game for having "depth" in the combat, but when the encounters are not set up to encourage their use to bypass them, what's the point other than simply having more buttons to press, "just because it looks cool"? I'll never understand why some think having more abilities makes for a more satisfying experience if the encounters themselves are habitually mundane, since they are balanced around button mashing.
Vampyr actually succeeded decently at this. Lots of people said the combat was boring or bad, or too difficult... but when you actually use the vampiric abilities properly, it's fine and actually fun. If you just melee everything to death you'll be a) bored out of your mind and b) have a really rough time.

Hopefully Fallen Order does force you to use your combat abilities to win and not just mash square to win.

Oct 25, 2017
I will believe the combat depth when i see it. Often times bloated combat systems with lots of mechanics are described as deep and rarely are. If you ask me unless you are forced to mix things up for reasons other than "oh this enemy has a shield let me use my shield breaker combo" it aint deep.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
The only way you were bored "90% of the time" in DMC5 is if you were button mashing through the game or simply unable to wrap your head around the depth of the combat. Creativity and combat exploration are the name of the game when it comes to Devil May Cry
I think he means the way the campaign unfolds.... Too much interruption... I agree with him. Anyway, I don't think it will be a problem with star wars. Metroid designed maps and exploration are my butter and jam. If the combat is really good, even as Sekiro light.......Goty candidate for me. I just wish origin premier was available in my country.