• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
As you can imagine, this is an incredibly high spend rate. Casual mobile games often only have 2-3% paid conversion, while core oriented f2p games are more like 20-30% depending on the title (at least based on Warframe and Team Fortress 2, though it could have gone up since they gave numbers).

Japanese mobile games also tend to have 20-25% according to JP Morgan Chase IIRC.

GamesIndustry.biz said:
"Today about 70-75% of all the people that buy the sports games join Ultimate Team," Jorgensen said. "It's fun. It's a great way to play the game. Of those 75% of the people, about half of those people actually spend some money and the other half just play without spending. But in a free-to-play world, that's a fantastic balance of spenders and non-spenders."
He also addressed the company's strategy for growing those numbers, saying, "We spend very little time trying to get people to spend more money. We really try to spend most of our time getting people into the funnel because we know once they're into the game, they'll really have a good time, and they'll play it for a long period of time."
Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...t-of-ea-sports-players-spend-on-ultimate-team

And a note more generally about service games and how they act as long term platforms:

Jorgensen returned to that idea later in the presentation, saying that people are playing fewer games these days, but playing them for longer periods of time thanks to live services and regular events.

"This entertainment form is probably one of the greatest entertainment values for consumers," Jorgensen said. "If you go to a movie today, it can cost you in the US $20 to get in the movie before you buy popcorn, which is fun. It's great, I love it. But at the same time, a $60 video game that people are playing three, four, five thousand hours during the year on, that's a lot of value for your money. And even if you spend some money on top of that, you're typically spending it on increasing the fun and excitement of the game. So we're just trying to give the consumers what they really want, and more of it, versus trying to build another game or do something different."

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimate Team has been such a great thing for EA. Kudos to them for making something that the majority of the market can't get enough of, and loves the shit out of.

HUGE percentage of people spending money as opposed to the F2P ones. That's admirable.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
"If you go to a movie today, it can cost you in the US $20 to get in the movie before you buy popcorn, which is fun. It's great, I love it. But at the same time, a $60 video game that people are playing three, four, five thousand hours during the year on, that's a lot of value for your money. And even if you spend some money on top of that, you're typically spending it on increasing the fun and excitement of the game. So we're just trying to give the consumers what they really want, and more of it, versus trying to build another game or do something different."

Oh fuck off.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
That's crazy and not good to hear.

I've played NHL every year, and have dabbled in Ultimate Team a bit. It's never hooked me though, as it's too much of a time sink and too random. Plus people play it more than I do and are willing to spend money.

I've never spent a cent.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
This is why they're trying to make everything they publish have Ultimate Team like hooks. We really should have listened more to people who warned us about this stuff in sports games.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Funny how under the radar P2W sports games are.

You can understand why EA thought that the nonsense they were pulling in Battlefront would be fine, they've been doing similar things for years.
This is why they're trying to make everything they publish have Ultimate Team like hooks. We really should have listened more to people who warned us about this stuff in sports games.
Yeah. The other part of this conference was Blake going "Yeah... so it turns out different game audiences have different expectations when it comes to monetization..."

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
NBA 2K's VC in this year's game is particularly egregious in how insidious it is. It's always been bad, but the way it creeps up in later game balance is very sneaky.

MLB the Show's Stub system is actually not too bad in comparison, although still a bit dirty.

Foldedpencil

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
5000 hours a year!? Who is doing this? That like 100 hours a week. Also, I have never paid $20 for a movie ticket.

Deleted member 21693

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Funny how under the radar P2W sports games are.

You can understand why EA thought that the nonsense they were pulling in Battlefront would be fine, they've been doing similar things for years.
And I have never really heard much of an uproar when it comes to FIFA. Maybe the analogy here is just too perfect for people to care. You buy FUT packs just as like you bought stickers with footballers on them when you were a kid. But it's P2W.

I did see some #fixfifa hashtag or something like that floating around not too long ago though. But looking at these numbers, the mass market has totally accepted these monetisation mechanics.

The takeaway here could be that publishers will have to distinguish the microtransaction acceptance for each title/genre/series from now on.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I saw that video about the "Wilson Lootbox"

This is almost assuredly the reason why EA thought they could get away with it in Battlefront 2.

They're banking on the unenlightened masses to make up for the lost in core gamers.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
More reason we should tell Lucasfilm to move away from exclusivity with Star Wars.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I fall in that 35%, but I usually buy one, maybe two packs total per game to get started. Rationalize it by saying the EA access discount pays for it. Oh well.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I was thinking about this the other day. What if, given the option, the market votes yes for P2W multiplayer? There is a mode that is non-P2W but people still participate in this one. And pay actual money while doing so.

ec0ec0

Oct 26, 2017
so 35% spend some money.

that's just a number to make themselves look good.

If you actually want to tell us about the numbers, tell us what percent of the users generate what percent of the revenue, and so on. You know, the significant info.

Last edited:

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY

Seriously?

It makes perfect sense. An IMAX film here costs $25 for two hours of entertainment.

I can go out and spend the cost of a new game on 2-3 drinks. For what? To enjoy myself.

I don't mind spending $50 on a game even if it provides one night of entertainment. I'll continually pay for content as long as the game continues to entertain me.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
I just realised that I am finally at that point where I say "ok" and move on from EA.

I've put all the energy I can muster into hoping EA can win me back or at least stop doing stupid and/or bad things with games and devs I like but they're not going to because they've already got younger people with looser wallets to replace me.

I'll go find my "something different" somewhere else and be much happier for it.

Everyone wins.

Oct 27, 2017
Has been happening in nba 2K...
NBA 2K's VC in this year's game is particularly egregious in how insidious it is. It's always been bad, but the way it creeps up in later game balance is very sneaky.

MLB the Show's Stub system is actually not too bad in comparison, although still a bit dirty.
Ah I see someone beat me to it. But yea, it's been in nba 2K for years and gets ignored cause it's a sports game. But the hardcore for sports games are dropping loads of money day one. A lot of them are dropping money at the store when they pick up the game through the mtx digital codes and cards.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't the big problem with F2P games getting people to pay for the first time? That would presumably be resolved when you have to buy the game initially.

Doesn't explain why Japanese mobage has such a high conversion rate, however.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Tell them what? That people play their games alot and a large amount decide to spend extra money? Why would a big company like Disney be annoyed at that?

More like Lucasfilms sees this and thinks EA did the right thing in principle but went too far.

Look at these numbers. They're incredible.

I use 'we' here as in we gamers. Not schilling for EA or the Star Wars brand.

I agree that Lucasfilm/Disney may be tempted by the potential cashflow here but they have other bigger revenue streams such as licensing. The brand would be more important to them than getting a cut of whatever EA is doing. Which in this case has only seen negative publicity. Gamers and star wars fans are not the same as sports addicts it seems.

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously?

It makes perfect sense. An IMAX film here costs $25 for two hours of entertainment.

I can go out and spend the cost of a new fame on 2-3 drinks. For what? To enjoy myself.

I don't mind spending $50 on a game even if it provides one night of entertainment. I'll continually pay for content as long as the game continues to entertain me.
Ding ding ding. Completely right. Games are honestly too cheap considering what they offer, compared to other media except for books, which are a world of imagination for dirt-ass prices.

Deleted member 21693

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
that's just a number to make themselves look good.

If you actually want to tell us about the numbers, tell us what percent of the users generate what percent of the revenue and so on. You know, the significant info.
Is it really that difficult to accept that others feel differently about microtransactions than you do?

Acerac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about this the other day. What if, given the option, the market votes yes for P2W multiplayer? There is a mode that is non-P2W but people still participate in this one. And pay actual money while doing so.
Do you know how much these games sell?

There is no closing Pandora's Box here, the market has spoken, and loudly. It's just a question of how widespread the results will be.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Isn't the big problem with F2P games getting people to pay for the first time? That would presumably be resolved when you have to buy the game initially.

Doesn't explain why Japanese mobage has such a high conversion rate, however.
No, F2P's biggest hurdle is retention. Conversion rate is not an issue.

Different territories monetize differently. Japan is much more culturally accepting of monetization tactics.

Deleted member 21693

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I use 'we' here as in we gamers. Not schilling for EA or the Star Wars brand.

I agree that Lucasfilm/Disney may be tempted by the potential cashflow here but they have other bigger revenue streams such as licensing. The brand would be more important to them than getting a cut of whatever EA is doing. Which in this case has only seen negative publicity. Gamers and star wars fans are not the same as sports addicts it seems.
Pretty sure these 35% that spend money on FIFA video game microtransactions are gamers too.

ec0ec0

Oct 26, 2017
Is it really that difficult to accept that others feel differently about microtransactions than you do?
i accep that, but to actually convince me, they would have to show me the whole picture (i.e. not selectively choosing to show some info, but omit other which is as important)

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
G01Ye.gif

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Ding ding ding. Completely right. Games are honestly too cheap considering what they offer, compared to other media except for books, which are a world of imagination for dirt-ass prices.

Yup. The cost to content ratio is insane, yet gamers are the most vocal about what they're paying for entertainment. We haven't even mentioned the cost of developing and releasing a game. It's pretty disgusting.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
Halo 5's Warzone was kind of like this. It wasn't that egregious, but they managed to avoid a lot of the backlash by restricting gameplay altering MT's to one mode that isn't meant to be very serious.

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Quick google showing ultimate team stuff doesn't even carry over year over year?! Man people are crazy about football.

It's little wonder why they're trying to jam that model into Star Wars.