• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/03/ea-sports-fifa-19-esports-tournament-sony-ps4/

If you're a FIFA 19 esports fan, then EA has some good news for you. Today, the company released details about a new competition exclusive to PlayStation 4 owners that begins this Saturday, October 6th. The competition will be a qualifier for a new tournament, the Continental Cup 2018 Presented by PlayStation, that will take place during Paris Games Week from October 26th through the 28th. Players will compete to secure one of 31 spots.

In the days and weeks leading up to the Paris event, PlayStation will host up to 30 different PS4 live and online EA Sports FIFA 19 events around the world. PlayStation will also sponsor various EA Sports FIFA 19 events globally throughout the 2018 to 2019 season.

"This is a pivotal moment in EA competitive gaming's history, and it will enable us to add to the global ecosystem of the FIFA Global Series by reaching more PlayStation players," said Todd Sitrin, SVP and GM of the EA Competitive Gaming Division, in a release. "With PlayStation live events occurring around the world and airing on FS1, the PlayStation Network or leading esports digital channels such as Twitch and YouTube, we're extending the global dream of making stars of all our players."

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
What's with Sony and pushing ESport for other games? First SF:V, then COD and now Fifa. Is it just for marketing purposes?

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
Yea, I saw the announcement a few days ago.
I am more interested on (if any) the conference Sony will have at Paris Game Week.

If there is nothing to show, it will only intensify my suspicion for a PlayStation Meeting early next year.

Now that I think about it, I haven't played a FIFA game since the PS1 era with my cousin. Gee, it's been a long time.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What's with Sony and pushing ESport for other games? First SF:V, then COD and now Fifa. Is it just for marketing purposes?

Yes, is basically "free" publicity and in the case of SFV, Sony basically locked an entire community/genre into their system

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Deals like this are going to be massively important soon and they already kind of are

It's like branding and advertising at sports venues like soccer and basketball or deals with food chains etc

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, is basically "free" publicity and in the case of SFV, Sony basically locked an entire community/genre into their system

SFV and Fifa are the most significant deals Sony has done this generation. Sure, on the surface FIFA is far more significant. I've stated previously that that deal was single handedly keeping XBOX afloat in Europe. But that SFV deal consolidated an entire community under the PS4 umbrella. Every peripheral, specifically fightsticks stopped making fight sticks for the X. That's a lot of licensing money, residuals and royalties to be going to one publisher.

You can still find XB sticks but outside of Hori It's difficult to find a quality fightpad or fightstick designed to be used with the XBOX.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Remember how last gen people would buy 360 because that's where the competitive players were? Basically that but to PS4 this gen for certain genres.