• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tried doing a search but couldn't find anything.

During a presentation for investors at the Credit Suisse 21st Annual Technology conference on Scottsdale, Arizona, Electronic Arts Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen talked about the closure of Visceral Games.

Jorgensen mentioned that Visceral had shrunk in size over the past five or six years, and it was down to about eighty developers, which is sub-scale in Electronic Arts' business. The low number of developers was also among the reasons why support on developing the new Star Wars action-adventure was offered by EA Vancouver and Motive in Montréal.

The studio was trying to build a game that "really pushed gameplay to the next level," but Electronic Arts kept reviewing it, it continued to look a "much more linear game, that people don't like as much today as they did five years ago or ten years ago."

While the economic calculation is never easy to do, the publisher came to the conclusion that they probably wouldn't be able to recoup the costs of creating the game, so they made the tough decision to shut down the studio. At the moment they're looking what can be done with parts of the game that were already developed, whether it's making the title in a different style with a different studio, or reusing those parts in other games.

Ultimately, it was an economic decision, but a "large portion" of the developers involved are being re-employed on other games within EA's organization, as the publisher is "trying to keep as many as they can."
https://www.dualshockers.com/visceral-games-closed-linear-games/

No EA, people do like linear singleplayer games, they just have to be good.

Interrobang

Oct 25, 2017
This is strange - after they closed didn't they assure us the reports of it being because of single player was false? And a bunch of news outlets had to report "don't worry, it's not cause it's single player?"

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Every time EA talks about what Visceral's game was they make it sound good. Stop it.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Honest question. What would be the top five best selling $60 linear singleplayer only games on PS4/XB1?

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be okay if they say less opportunities to have continued consumer spending on a single game to justify development cost, but sure let's blame the players.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They can't willfuly admit that Visceral Star Wars was mismanaged or that the game was shaping up to be bad.......so they'll make up some nonsense about shifting market conditions and ebbing consumer demand.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Tried doing a search but couldn't find anything.

https://www.dualshockers.com/visceral-games-closed-linear-games/

No EA, people do like linear singleplayer games, they just have to be good.
Uh... that seems to fit perfectly with the thread by our resident NPD guy. He said that single player linear games are simply held to a much higher standard, and thus are more likely to fail or disappoint if they don't hit those standards.

It sounds like EA made the right call without additional information.

Edit:
Honest question. What would be the top five best selling $60 linear singleplayer only games on PS4/XB1?
This too.

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah because everything Naughty Dog does are such failures sales wise.....

Fuck yourself, EA.

SystemBug

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly it. I can only really think of Uncharted 4. and maybe Gears of War 4 but both those game had big multiplayer components. Even Wolfenstien 2 didn't light the sales chart on fire despite the great review scores

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And yeah to be fair, a mediocre 3rd person action game is probably not going to cut it in today's market.

TheWickedSoul

Oct 26, 2017
I mean they are not wrong. Alot of AAA games have MP these days either tacked on or well thought out.

Last edited:

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Players definitely like linear games, but you're not going to sell multiple millions. Maybe if you adjusted your budgeting and expectations so that you can still profit without selling 8+ million copies, you wouldn't have a problem.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
Honest additional question on this point - how many of those games were even released for the PS4/XB1?

How much of a dataset is there to work with?

Witcher 3, Zelda, and Horizon say Hi.
Are any of those linear games? Haven't played Zelda, but I wouldn't consider the Witcher 3 or Horizon to be linear.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Disney, give the franchise to Bethesda.

Single player FPS RPG combining Dark force's fps gameplay with RPG elements. Tell me that won't sell like hotcakes.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why it had to be a single-player only game. They could have easily added a PvP multiplayer mode similar to Uncharted or TLoU.

And if it was a single-player only game, then EA certainly could have added light asymmetrical multiplayer components like Shadow of War.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but insiders also said it was kind of a disaster that wasn't coming together that well either.

Single player can still work.. but linear SP doesn't seem to like a good investment if you aren't Naughty Dog.. and even Naughty Dog tacked on MP to try to keep people from just trading the game in after a few days.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
1. Uncharted 4 but it has multiplayer.
2. Rise of the Tomb Raider. Almost doesn't count because of open areas.
.... Nothing else comes to mind. Maybe Until Dawn?
Yeah this genre of linear singleplayer only games doesn't sell. But they could've added a multiplayer component to Visceral game.

Suzushiiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Several of the most well-reviewed games that have come out this year are linear single-player games- Persona 5, Nier, Cuphead, and Sonic Mania, to name a few. People fucking love linear SP games, and SP games in general, they just require some sort of creative vision/freedom to do well and can't be a vehicle to go whale-hunting with microtransactions as easily so EA has neither the desire nor ability to do them anymore.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Rise Of The Tomb Raider sold 7+ million, right?

Okay, so do MP side modes. It doesn't have to play like fecking Battlefront. And don't spend $50+ million on it.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The game sounds exactly like what I wanted out of a story-focussed SW game. *sigh*

Incidentally I just finished Uncharted TLL yesterday and now I'm longing for more. I can't just play open-world games but companies like EA will only realize their failing strategy when every game is open-world and players run out of time to play all that shit.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Translation: Spending a 100 million on a title that won't keep players around, won't sell over 5 million, and can't be absolutely stuffed with microtransaction aren't worth it to us anymore.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
Based on Jason/Kotaku's report I don't think that was the only reason... Seems like spin for their investors.

It seems like they're tailoring their reasons based on who they're talking to.

This is the critical part IMO.

They can't turn to investors and say "this studio/project was a fucking disaster" like they did to the games press/consumers. So they say it's about market forces.

Don't worry they'll turn around and tell the games press it was because the studio was fucked again in like a week.

Bingo.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I take issue with this. There is a sizable market for people who just want SP experiences. There is an audience of people who play COD almost exclusively for the SP. If there wasn't a sizable audience they probably would have stopped making them already.
Can you define "sizeable market"? Especially in relation to the scope and ROI of big budget single player linear games?

Edit:
Rise Of The Tomb Raider sold 7+ million, right?

Okay, so do MP side modes. It doesn't have to play like fecking Battlefront.
Yes, after massive and long periods of price cuts. Heck I got it for less than $10 digitally.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
It seems like they're tailoring their reasons based on who they're talking to.

During a presentation for investors

This is the critical part IMO.

They can't turn to investors and say "this studio/project was a fucking disaster" like they did to the games press/consumers. So they say it's about market forces.

Don't worry they'll turn around and tell the games press it was because the studio was fucked again in like a week.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that a linear star wars game in the vein of Uncharted (a very successful series in its own right) would not sell enough to recoup the development costs is just asinine.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Somebody tell all those indies that make beloved and profitable SP linear games that they're in the wrong fuckin' business.

Also, tell that same thing to Sony and Nintendo's first- and second-party studios.

EA is just awful at every non-FIFA thing that it tries to do in 2017, but looking inward at one's own incompetence is tough, man.