• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
These are the type of things that has me more exited for cloud gaming.

"the opportunity in games is incredibly exciting and not really achieved yet," he says. "I truly believe that these forces -- cloud and AI -- will change just about everything in games. It's going to be a five or ten year journey for us, but I say that confidently. I don't even think that's a bold prediction."

"The main difference in cloud is not really that the CPU is sitting in a big building versus being in your living room; the main difference is now you can have dozens or hundreds or thousands or millions of computers that can do stuff to help power the game."

"If you apply that to an actual game like Battlefield... DICE prides itself on amazing destruction. They blow stuff up better than anyone. But the simulations they do for destruction are very limited compared to what they would really like to do, because they have a certain amount of GPU and a certain amount of CPU and they have to do it in real time. If they could have a pool of servers up there that can be running our physics engine in Frostbite and be calculating better destruction, it can be like real life.

"And you can apply that not just to blowing things up. You can apply that to really every part of the game; the size of the world, the immersion of the world, the quality of the characters... That's where it's really going to transform everything in gaming."

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Oh dear, they're being a tad silly. Just because you have billions of new potential players doesn't mean they're suddenly going to start playing AA/AAA videogames. That's just not realistic. Baseline consoles aren't that expensive and are quite accessible (most of the time). Streaming might increase the player base, but not by billions.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Where are all of these people who apparently have top notch amazing internet but yet couldn't already afford to play on PC or Console?

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Do a billion people overall even have access to internet fast enough to stream games? I would say no.

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"And you can apply that not just to blowing things up. You can apply that to really every part of the game; the size of the world, the immersion of the world, the quality of the characters... That's where it's really going to transform everything in gaming."

What?

Who's going to build this world? Who is writing, acting, mocaping, etc. these quality characters?

AI? That'll take more than 10 years imo.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The biggest barrier for these people to play modern AAA games isn't the box. It's controlling a character in 3D space using a controller or kbm.

WarioLuigi22

alt account
Banned
May 11, 2019
This is one of those over-the-top quotes that's going to be referenced in video game forums for years to come when in reality the person was just exaggerating for effect and PR, right?

Like the Xbox One 1 billion quote

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Yes in fact we should make massive financial bets on that number as well.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I remember EA saying things like this as the Xbox One launched, then when it all went south they were outta there

giphy.gif

Last edited:

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Are there really a billion people out there who are totally into AAA gaming but have just been patiently waiting for a cloud gaming solution before actually playing any.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Even if it's true, are these going to be people willing to pay?
Thats the one thing that no one brings up when talking about the untapped market- you saw the App store basically make everything free cause so few people were even willing to pay 99 cents to buy in to an app

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Keep fucking that dog, EA. Go all in on cloud gaming, yet ignore the best selling console.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
If they could have a pool of servers up there that can be running our physics engine in Frostbite and be calculating better destruction, it can be like real life.

So how does that work and make any sort of financial sense? Every game running has a whole pool of servers running to calculate destruction for it, on top of the servers that render for each individual player? Multiply that by the number of peak players, and I simply can't imagine they would ever be able to justify the costs of having so many expensive servers just for something so trivial.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
EA did ONE good thing in a while with Star Wars Jedi...and now they're feeling themselves enough to come with these crazy predictions again

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I can see it. There are probably a lot of people who want to play Fifa, Madden, etc., who don't want to spend hundreds on a console, even if they can afford it. More people than ever are listening to music and watching movies because you don't have to buy dedicated hardware anymore.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol

The idea that streaming will suddenly make my mom play an AAA game on her phone is so ridiculous I can only laugh

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I can see it. There are probably a lot of people who want to play Fifa, Madden, etc., who don't want to spend hundreds on a console, even if they can afford it. More people than ever are listening to music and watching movies because you don't have to buy dedicated hardware anymore.

Nice point, didn't think about this.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
I dont know how many top companies have to say it for ERA to start to believe.

The fact that one tried to early and failed (MS at the beggining of the gen) doesn't mean this is unrealistic or not achiveable, it means its too early.

Amazed at the amount of naysayers in an enthusiast community, I guess people are reluctant to change.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Here we go, another "1% of China" scenario that's never going to happen.
I live in France and the internet still suck too much to properly play Cloud games.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know people are hyped for FF7 remake but idk if that's many people

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cloud gaming does have potential to be bigger than local play because of the low cost of entry