• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019

From this redditor had brought up an interesting thing about the direction EA is taking recently. Especially with this recent announcement https://www.resetera.com/threads/ea...s-next-fiscal-year-ends-in-march-2021.150100/

At 2:16 in their engine showcase there are a bunch of hints that they'd be doing a Crysis remaster.
  • The trailer suddenly starts playing First Light by Inon Zur. This is the music that plays in the original Crysis when you walk up out of the jungle and gaze over the cove as the sun is rising. This music belongs to Electronic Arts. EA have the copyright for all Crysis assets.
  • There's a turtle, because of course there is.
  • The camera rises out of the jungle and gazes out over a cove blatantly reminiscent of that from Crysis.
  • Then the nanosuit "crunching" sound plays (sounds like Crysis 3 variant), and the camera cuts to black, with a new actor saying, "CRYENGINE" in the nanosuit voice.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obligatory "Does Crysis need a remaster when it already looks like a current gen game" comment

Dec 23, 2017
Maximum Strength.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it'd be cool if we eventually get a new Crysis game in the style of the original. If this "remaster" turns out to involve massive asset overhauls I'll probably be annoyed, honestly.

Ports involving optimizations to modern hardware make a lot of sense though!

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I only want this is they make a completely new Crysis 2 that progresses the story better than actual Crysis 2 which was a totally fun game, I just remember the story being pretty garbage (it's like the made the whole game story revolve around the suit).

Never even tried 3.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly there was a lot of issues with the game and most were overshadowed with "graphics" but this could be pretty damn awesome if it gets brought back

Crysis was a fantastic game, it had awesome freedom of gameplay in how you tackle encounters. It was ahead of its time, actually. And it wasn't just the graphics, but the physics too, which were really impressive. And that actually enhanced the gameplay quite a bit.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Crysis ... a game that really doesn't need one.

But not the Mass Effect trilogy ..

right ..

OP
OP
Komo

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Crysis was a fantastic game, it had awesome freedom of gameplay in how you tackle encounters. It was ahead of its time, actually. And it wasn't just the graphics, but the physics too, which were really impressive. And that actually enhanced the gameplay quite a bit.
Oh yeah definitely just it had bad pacing issues in the 2nd half and AI was a tad bit stupid, and combat just sorta fell off on that half.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
I'm surprised EA and Crytek didn't do a remaster of the trilogy earlier this gen though I'm assuming due to EA's "no remasters" statement

The Crysis trilogy is a perfect candidate for a remaster since the framerate on the console versions stunk especially 2 and 3.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Crysis needs a "remaster" simply so that they multithread. Nowadays running Crysis at high framerates is hard not because of GPU performance but because it just stresses one or two cores of the CPU to the absolute max and it bottlenecks. I remember having drops to like 40 FPS on my i7 6700k + 1070, and of course my GPU usage was low and there was one CPU thread absolutely maxed out

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Really enjoyed OG Crysis, at least on PC. Loved how right from the start you could turn around and try to climb the mountain and end up anywhere you wanted on the island and just start shit with people before you were "supposed to" get there.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
They shouldn't bother if the remaster doesn't give a 2080 TI trouble in 1080p. A lot of the fun of the original Crysis was waiting each hardware cycle for a hardware combo that didn't have to compromise.

I'd rather do they Crysis 2 or 3 instead then, more fun.

Jan 15, 2018
I would love for it to be true, since the game still runs pretty poorly on modern CPUs because Crytek incorrectly predicted the course they would take.

The game could look exactly the same and I would be happy if I could run it at more than 40fps at 1080p.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect runs great on PC and Xbox

Crysis is ancient and needs a rework on how it's handled by modern CPUs.

It's more that people just want mass effect ports not that it needs a remaster.

Honestly, I think the ME trilogy would benefit more from transitioning to UE4 and a little nip/tuck instead of a straight port over.

Crysis still holds up remarkably well, outside of some elements, even today.