• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first time EA has announced sale numbers in ages.

This is up from 12 million in 2012, which was the last time they announced numbers.

EA Sports has announced that its latest FIFA entry, FIFA 18, has sold over 24 million copies globally since its release in September of last year.

In additiona, FIFA Mobile has been installed 193 million times. Overall, the FIFA franchise has sold over 260 million units to date, maintaining its place as the best-selling sports video game of all time.

Asia-exclusives FIFA Online 3 and 4 have seen over 115 million registered players to date.
Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-09-05-fifa-18-sells-over-24-million-copies

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, surprised to see it but really glad to see so much details about the franchise. That's great.

Get_crazy

Oct 28, 2017
For the record, FIFA 12 sold 12 million. The franchise doubled its sales in 6 years.

Source:

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
I vaguely remember a boycott by FIFA fans when battlefront 2 happened.

Football fever too strong I guess.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
We need Pie Charts EA

I wonder how much it did overall on PS360. I know those consoles are still popular in South America cause they tend to have less money

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have not bought a FIFA game in years, so I always associate it with Ultimate Team oddly enough, the base game is really strong, and almost all my casual friends have no idea of ultimate mode, yet always play the game. I don't know why I stopped caring about these game, I don't know if UM burned me or I don't care that much about football anymore.

Also, even if PES has better graphics and presentation, Konami did an amazing job this last 10 years convincing me that their football game is a lesser version of FIFA.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Think PES sales might actually be shrinking for comparison.

Edit -

RIP

5_B0_B9_A32_82_BA_4_ECD_A258_D99187_EF8_C50.jpg

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Why does people liking what you don't like depressing?

Normally I'm happy for people to have a variety of interests, that's how media grows and creativity cross pollinates.

FIFA (and EA in general) have the opposite effect. FIFA has suffocated the football genre, Ultimate Team is legitimately one of the worst things to happen to the gaming industry and at this rate they're going to monopolise the market completely.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
24 million of a yearly low effort rehash is still not enough to make money though.

EA needs those microtransactions.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Btw, with the update, Fifa is now the 4th best-selling franchise in history only behind Call of Duty, Pokémon and Mario.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
break
down

jk

edit:
so do madden and 2k generally pull around 10m. I wonder
NBA does 10 million. I think Madden is a tad below that, but not certain.

Madden has a runaway successful mobile version though, whereas the other two have historically not been anywhere near as large on mobile.

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
That's the game I'd take on a desert island. There's no limit to how good I can be at this game. I play in Division 1 and I still get my ass kicked by better players than me. I must have played the series over 2000 hours and I'll probably play it until I die.

Get_crazy

Oct 28, 2017
Today I learned that FIFA is an abbreviation of French words: Fédération Internationale de Football Association (International Federation of Association Football). I always thought it was English words.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I vaguely remember a boycott by FIFA fans when battlefront 2 happened.

Football fever too strong I guess.
Which doesn't make sense since they're two completely different teams. I think I've played Ultimate Team once in my entire life and buy FIFA almost every year.
Do we know platform breakdowns?
curious about this.

Holy shit...

Imagine how much money Ultimate Team made them
thought I read something about 500m but I may be off 2 months back.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good news for EA. Will most likely jump into FIFA19 when it comes out.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The power of Cristiano Ronaldo. First year on the cover and already trouncing any release from the Messi years. No wonder EA is exited to give us sales numbers again.

original.gif

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Wow. So with ultimate team stuff, they make 1 billion MINIMUM from 1 game a year.

Jesus. and people keep talking about how EA will 'crash' or something.