• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Saw these in Walmart today. Seems EA going all in on MTX, Loot Boxes and now their own Amiibo-like Toys-to-Life figurines this year

dywEAW5.png

OzYliCv.png

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Well, sports actually strikes me as something that could maybe work today given how much sports stuff people always buy anyway.

I wouldn't suggest trying to apply this beyond that though.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this isnt new. they had a line for Madden 2017 last year. and these figures dont do anything, they come with a code to use in the game

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
McFarlane has done this for years, before Amiibo were things. They pushed it really hard for Assassin's Creed: Unity, and I'm pretty sure they were doing REQ packs in Halo stuff around Halo 5 too.

JRoth

Oct 26, 2017
Well, sports actually strikes me as something that could maybe work today given how much sports stuff people always buy anyway.

I wouldn't suggest trying to apply this beyond that though.
This is what I was thinking too. A collector whose big on their favorite sports team might buy players they're interested in.

Not surprised at the unlocks on the box. They're trying to get sports fans to buy into their Sport titles.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
No surprise. Anything to make extra money and get those recurrent purchases.

I went to a grocery store and saw a big poster as I entered advertising some mobile EA Star Wars game and $70 Google Play credits.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
These aren't Toys to Life. These are figures with codes.

Ubisoft with Assassin's Creed and Microsoft with Killer Instinct have already done this exact thing years ago.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
Ehhhh, including a DLC code isn't really Toys to Life. They did this for Mass Effect figurines as well I'm pretty sure, but with codes for weapon skins.

JRoth

Oct 26, 2017
Actually now that you mention it Star Wars action figures would've sold a hell of a lot more than Madden ones surely.
I believe Marvel/Disney already has their toy line through other outlets don't they?

Pop! is one, a quick google search shows

LEGO'S
Playskool Heroes
NERF
Sphero
Hasbro

That's just from doing a quick search on Target.com

Yeah, doesn't make a lotta sense. If they created a toy line or toys-to-life(amiibo functionality) line for Star Wars Battlefront 2 instead of the huge amount of P2W/MTX, they might have made a lot more money. Maybe not necessarily on the game, but there is certainly a large crowd out there that loves Star Wars figures.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
Actually now that you mention it Star Wars action figures would've sold a hell of a lot more than Madden ones surely.

If they wanted to go for the jugular, they'd have made a deal with Hasbro and start repacking articulated Star Wars figures with a base with the chip in it or with a code like these. Hasbro would finally get to increase the Star Wars figures prices like they've been trying to for years, and Star Wars fans would get their articulated 3 3/4" line back. Instead they're just going to keep running the line into the ground though. Probably way too late to take advantage of any kind of Toys to Life interest now; that boat's sailed.