• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
From DualShockers:
The publisher expects PS4 and Xbox One to "continue to be strong." Electronic Arts expects the combined installed base of the two consoles to grow to 130 million units by the end of the calendar year 2018. We also get an estimate of 103 million by December 31st, 2017.

This means that if EA's estimate is correct, the Xbox One sold 29.4 million units by December 31st, 2017, considering that we know that PS4 sold 73.6 million units by that same date.

I thought they had cleared 30M even before the launch of the One X. Please don't turn this thread into flame warz. This is about EA's estimates. If they think they'll add ~27M consoles within the year, what do they assume the breakdown is? 17:10? Or more/less on either side?

It's weird because EA said the installed base at the end of calendar 2016 was 79 million. Now they say the installed base is 103 million at the end of 2017.

So if we look at the numbers Sony provided.
PS4 was at 53.4m at the end of 2016. That would put Xbox One around ~25.6m.
PS4 was 73.6m at the end of 2017. That would put Xbox One around ~29.4m

So EA is estimating that Xbox One sold around 3.8m units in 2017. But the Xbox One sold more than that in the US alone.

So the numbers don't add up
. Perhaps they're excluding some territory or maybe Pro/OneX?

As I stated in prior threads, the Xbox One installed base is over 35 million globally.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...s4-xbox-one-sales-reach-105-million-end-2017/

I'm not sure what the reason is for the discrepancy with EA's estimates.

It could be it excludes Pro/One X numbers.
It could be that EA excludes a territory like Japan (they used to do this last generation)
It could be that EA estimates PS4 at a lower number. (Which would be weird given Sony release the official numbers)
It could be that installed base =/= sell through in EA's eyes. So replacement consoles sold wouldn't count and only people actively using consoles would count?

EA's estimates aren't wrong. I'm just fairly certain one of the above things is true.

Ultimately what we do know is PS4 sell through was 73.6m at the end of 2017. Xbox One is less than half of that total which shows the big gap between the two in terms of sales. But that's something that has been known for a long time.

Mod edit:

Please stick to the topic.
Do not bring up off-site drama or it will be treated as a derail attempt and actioned accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ZhugeEX said XBO is at around 35m worldwide in January this year.

Is Sony's 73.6m sold to retailers or sold to end users? Because EA cites install base.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Ooh lawdy.

How accurate are their estimates? I know they were used before.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
It should be 33-35 million by now, but yeah I don't see the Xbox family of consoles cracking 40 million till the holidays

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
That was in line with what I'd been seeing others say.

I am surprised though, I would have thought the momentum of the 360 would have carried the One to far stronger initial sales but I guess the whole pre launch fiasco with always online and whatnot really harmed MS. It doesn't seem to have picked up much since then either.

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's something amusing about EA throwing their console games marketing partner under the bus.

Last edited:

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
EA's estimate is correct.
giphy.gif

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
That would be extremely low for the XBO. I thought 35 was the most accepted estimate
Not really. Despite the fact that it is very difficult to precisely predict Xbox sales these days, it was obvious right before MS stops updating hardware sales that it would be very difficult for Xbox one to cross 30m before 2017 ends. People are throwing some higher estimates every now and then but I haven't seen any data that would even imply that is the case. If anything, it appears that Xbox has zero presence in Asia and most of Europe.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That seems surprisingly low. I thought they would have had over 30 million and then some by now. Still it seems like sales have been picking up and they've certainly been far more aggressive in a variety of fields.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Can't say I feel bad for MS. When they're in the lead they set, or try to set, bad precedents. Apps & multiplayer behind XBLG, online only, no used games, ect.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yikes.

I like their current strategy though. Making more from their existing base rather than throwing money to expand is a smart decision.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Man, Microsoft has been running Xbox like a well oiled machine. Even with the lower than expected user base they're profitable and growing user engagement. Truly remarkable.

Status
Not open for further replies.