• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Yes, that's exactly what they do. A Windows 10 minesweeper player is a "monthly active XBL user" these days.
It does, and the confusion is entirely intentional.
It's probably any Hotmail email address linked to an Xbox account, being console, PC app or anything else.

Okay thanks guys, it's really confusing. X1X is my main platform, I am very happy with it, but they should not do this. Gap widens as it seems.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
If the estimates are unfairly low, it's trivially easy for Microsoft to correct them by providing actual data.

EMGESP

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
30 million units only? That can't be true, I was expecting at least close to 40 million by now. Yeesh.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It does, and the confusion is entirely intentional.
In the end EA and Microsoft have different goals.

MS knows that they can't really grow their console customer base much this late in the generation, so their focus was to show how efficient they were in keeping their current customers happy and spending. Microsoft showed that their customers are spending more money on average per head than an equivalent PS4 customer. An optimist would say this is good, because that means they are keeping their hard core fanbase in anticipation of the next generation.

EA, however, focus on the consumer base. They sell games, and they want to know how many people would actually be in a position to buy an EA game without needing to buy a new console first. The 103m number is basically their sales ceiling, the maximum number of copies an EA game can sell if everyone who CAN buy one, buys one.

The closest thing to that magical 103M is GTA 5, which sold 90m copies. (Ask ZhugeEX, he reported it like many other news outlets.)
Obviously there would be double-dipping happening, but the point is that EA was interested in how many MORE people they can sell their games to. That they haven't reached saturation yet is a positive, if you think about the level of growth that is possible.

And that's where I am making my point. That If you want to view MS's "high engagement" as a sign of them halting the bleeding until they could make a comeback with XboxTwo, or alternatively the reality that they are not really growing their consumer base because the high levels of engagement can be interpreted to be a lack of new customers and thus, no growth.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
All the concern Xbox trolling.

We all very well know the Xbox was at about 35 million as of January this year. Considering it is May, they could easily be at 37-39 by now, depending on what kind of momentum they have going, which seems to be pretty decent based on NPD.
EA and bishoptl are saying 29.4M as of Jan 1st. That is much lower than estimated. And most likely the reason engagement is their new benchmark.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No worries. I'm not sure what the reason is for the discrepancy with EA's estimates.
It could be it excludes Pro/One X numbers.
It could be that EA excludes a territory like Japan (they used to do this last generation)
It could be that EA estimates PS4 at a lower number. (Which would be weird given Sony release the official numbers)
It could be that installed base =/= sell through in EA's eyes. So replacement consoles sold wouldn't count and only people actively using consoles would count?

EA's estimates aren't wrong. I'm just fairly certain one of the above things is true.

Ultimately what we do know is PS4 sell through was 73.6m at the end of 2017. Xbox One is less than half of that total which shows the big gap between the two in terms of sales. But that's something that has been known for a long time.
Idk why we're still debating this. This comment here makes total sense to me. Especially the idea that EA is discounting consoles that aren't active. That way both PS4 and Xbox One numbers are lowered

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Upon that Btw bish was clearly sony biased ,and that would be okay if he wasn't using his power in line with his bias
His "verifying sources" was part of the bias tooets forget that place and that mod..I don't understand how ppl can take him seriously

tbh i didn't take this post seriously, comes off as incredibly emotional and petty. i personally never found any "clear" evidence of him being sony biased, and i don't get how him verifying or checking if someone had legit access to information they claimed to have could be in any way related to a "bias". either way, he has an account here, and you can take your issues with him straight to his inbox.

Deleted member 26104

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Considering all the insiders have been saying its 35-37 million, I'm taking this with a grain of salt. Either that or it proves none of the insiders here have any real inside information in terms of sales.

GoldenKings

Oct 28, 2017
Upon that Btw bish was clearly sony biased ,and that would be okay if he wasn't using his power in line with his bias
His "verifying sources" was part of the bias tooets forget that place and that mod..I don't understand how ppl can take him seriously

I don't know why but man your avatar is like straight from some Yahoo 360 message board

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Annnd you're utterly full of shit. I mean blatant console warrior shitposts like yours are one thing. But calling out people with legit sources?

Talk about obtuse.

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Did either of you read the rest of ZhugeEX's post though? He said they're not wrong if they're not talking about total worldwide sales. Either Bishop was being purposely misleading and he knew that they weren't reporting on total worldwide sales estimates, or he is wrong.
This makes no sense. I feel like people are bending over a bit just to bash bish. I also see no reason to distrust EA's numbers, even if you have to put an asterisk to it (as in, they may not be including some region or certain numbers). They are still accurate.

Let's move on, people.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
There are not many reasons to buy a Xbox One if you already own a PS4 or a gaming PC. Enthusiasts like people that are active in forums are not really representative.

TLZ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This makes no sense. I feel like people are bending over a bit just to bash bish. I also see no reason to distrust EA's numbers, even if you have to put an asterisk to it (as in, they may not be including some region or certain numbers). They are still accurate.

Let's move on, people.
Would make sense. Also to close this, what were Sony's official numbers for PS4? If it's more than this then we know what's up.

Edit: just checked and it's around 78 million. So about 5 MIL missing which could be the same story for Xbox. There you go then people. Problem solved.

Last edited:

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
CBOAT and Bish aren't even the same person. i heard it was supposedly a multiaccount but never saw it confirmed for sure. either way, CBOAT got a lot right with his statements btw. and Bish was in charge of verifying insiders so he'd likely have some sources.
Funnily enough it was ZhugeEX, who has pretty much confirmed that these numbers aren't total worldwide sales, that also basically confirmed that CBOAT was a shared mod account:

Because it wasn't an actual leaker. It was an account owned by the forum staff. Leaks were sent to it.

I'm surprised how many people didn't know this.

Moving on:

Let's move on, people.

I mean, they're not accurate if they're excluding a big chunk of sales lol. They're the opposite of accurate when painted as "total worldwide sales to date" if they aren't an estimate of total worldwide sales to date. That's not even remotely debatable. You see no reason not to trust EA's numbers even if they don't include potentially 5-6 million xbox sales? Really? If I was to say "PS4 has sold 56 million consoles worldwide" then you would trust that is correct, even if I was not including the USA in that figure? That makes no sense. It's not about bashing a user, it's about calling him out to provide proof of his claim because of how well known he is, when all evidence points to him being wrong.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EA and bishoptl are saying 29.4M as of Jan 1st. That is much lower than estimated. And most likely the reason engagement is their new benchmark.

Bish isn't an analyst like Zhuge who mentions these numbers exclude other variables.

Also EA have not said 29m that's your projection based on Sony shipped number, again EA must not be using that number as it doest add up with 2016 numbers.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Houston
No worries. I'm not sure what the reason is for the discrepancy with EA's estimates.
It could be it excludes Pro/One X numbers.
It could be that EA excludes a territory like Japan (they used to do this last generation)
It could be that EA estimates PS4 at a lower number. (Which would be weird given Sony release the official numbers)
It could be that installed base =/= sell through in EA's eyes. So replacement consoles sold wouldn't count and only people actively using consoles would count?

EA's estimates aren't wrong. I'm just fairly certain one of the above things is true.

Ultimately what we do know is PS4 sell through was 73.6m at the end of 2017. Xbox One is less than half of that total which shows the big gap between the two in terms of sales. But that's something that has been known for a long time.
the only thing i could say is they are not using the same data for both consoles
use Sony's official numbers + guesstimates on MS's and their guesses have been off by a lot since the last official report from MS

just from sheer numbers of software sold Activision would have the most accurate numbers for Xbone i would guess

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Funnily enough it was ZhugeEX, who has pretty much confirmed that these numbers aren't total worldwide sales, that also basically confirmed that CBOAT was a shared mod account:

Moving on:

I mean, they're not accurate if they're excluding a big chunk of sales lol. They're the opposite of accurate when painted as "total worldwide sales to date" if they aren't an estimate of total worldwide sales to date. That's not even remotely debatable. You see no reason not to trust EA's numbers even if they don't include potentially 5-6 million xbox sales? Really? If I was to say "PS4 has sold 56 million consoles worldwide" then you would trust that is correct, even if I was not including the USA in that figure? That makes no sense. It's not about bashing a user, it's about calling him out to provide proof of his claim because of how well known he is, when all evidence points to him being wrong.

The mod you quoted even said their numbers aren't wrong. We just don't know their exact metric. They are saying "install base." This could mean different things based on what their definition is.

This is pretty simple. You want to argue that their numbers are completely untrustworthy just because their numbers don't line up to Sony's or what's in your head. First you have to understand their metric. Same with any type of measurement of any type of quantity. In EA's metric Sony's numbers are probably less than what Sony put out as well. I don't see how hard this is to get.

I also detect a hint of console warring in your post. I'm not really arguing from this angle.

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The mod you quoted even said their numbers aren't wrong. We just don't know their exact metric. They are saying "install base." This could mean different things based on what their definition is.

This is pretty simple. You want to argue that their numbers are completely untrustworthy just because their numbers don't line up to Sony's or what's in your head. First you have to understand their metric. Same with any type of measurement of any type of quantity. In EA's metric Sony's numbers are probably less than what Sony put out as well. I don't see how hard this is to get.

I also detect a hint of console warring in your post. I'm not really arguing from this angle.
I mean he said they're not wrong, but he also said that they must be excluding a lot of things. So they are 100% wrong in terms of being called total sales, which people are taking them as.

This is pretty simple, correct. You can use this as a different metric, but not as an accurate estimate of total console sales this generation.

I have no idea what you're talking about in terms of console warring. Nothing I said has anything remotely like console warring. I was saying that we know the PS4 has sold over a certain amount, and if I was to say that it has sold less than that you wouldn't trust my estimate, would you? No, and you shouldn't. We know these figures are not accurate worldwide sales figures. They are a correct estimate for whatever EA estimate them as, but it's not worldwide sales.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I mean he said they're not wrong, but he also said that they must be excluding a lot of things. So they are 100% wrong in terms of being called total sales, which people are taking them as.

This is pretty simple, correct. You can use this as a different metric, but not as an accurate estimate of total console sales this generation.

I have no idea what you're talking about in terms of console warring. Nothing I said has anything remotely like console warring.
As the writer of the article stated in this thread, every measurement has a margin for error. I have no reason that these numbers are close given the margin for error.

That doesn't mean the Xbox One, for example, isn't sitting at 35 million actual sold, like Zhuge said.

As for the console warring, the post made it seem like I was easily accepting lower numbers because it was Xbox, whereas I would put the numbers under greater scrutiny if it were PS4. If that wasn't your intention, I misjudged, but that's what it seemed.

Toxa

Oct 28, 2017
3189996-9317499585-sony_.jpg

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As the writer of the article stated in this thread, every measurement has a margin for error. I have no reason that these numbers are close given the margin for error.

That doesn't mean the Xbox One, for example, isn't sitting at 35 million actual sold, like Zhuge said.

As for the console warring, the post made it seem like I was easily accepting lower numbers because it was Xbox, whereas I would put the numbers under greater scrutiny if it were PS4. If that wasn't your intention, I misjudged, but that's what it seemed.
That's a damn huge margin for error lol.

If they're saying it's at 29 but it's at 35 then that to me says the numbers aren't accurate. You can't hide behind a margin for error of 20% lol.

My post did nothing of the sort for your last bit, you misinterpreted it.

This is pretty funny for a different reason - look at the last line: Need to evolve beyond the "battle of the boxes". People here are all about the battle of the boxes, and when 1 company is literally moving away from the battle of the boxes, they get shit on massively and accused of all sorts of lies and PR spin.

upandaway

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they count people who own both consoles as 1 instance? If there's overlap between both customer bases than their sum isn't the combined customer base

Deleted member 25108

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My thing is this.

whether it's 30 or 35 million is pretty much meaningless.

Microsoft's biggest problem is that it doesn't seem to be able to engage enough people outside the US and UK markets.

As gaming becomes increasingly diverse and global, that has to be a huge concern for them.

Oct 27, 2017
Title says EA are estimating. I'm guessing that comes from people that have installed an EA game? How else would they get the data/ Do people know what that word in the title "estimate" means going by some of the replies.

Deleted member 21693

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just last week someone in the other thread said Xbox had hit 35 million over a year ago already lol.

Shows you how bad fanboys can be with sales and estimates.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
30m is low but expected. I really don't understand where that 35-37m number was pulled out of.
Don't get your hope high for official numbers from Ms tho.

I don't particularly expect them to, which is also why I think they're probably not unfairly low.

If I were to say, "You are 2'5" tall", you would either respond, "Actually, my height is [insert actual number here" or perhaps say, "That is clearly not the case" and provide a picture of yourself not being extremely short.

If major publishers are underestimating the install base that's a problem Microsoft would move swiftly to correct, as that influences decisions regarding things like advertising partnerships and exclusivity contracts. The only reason they wouldn't correct it is if it's true.

Madsenpai

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
The main problem with Xbox brand in general is they are nearly non existent outside us and uk. So looking only npd numbers and estimating worldwide sales is a problematic approach.

Oct 27, 2017
Title says EA are estimating. I'm guessing that comes from people that have installed an EA game? How else would they get the data/ Do people know what that word in the title "estimate" means going by some of the replies.
It's 'estimate' because EA can't officially release Microsoft's numbers, that's up to Ms. I would say EA have pretty accurate ways to track these numbers.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The main problem with Xbox brand in general is they are nearly non existent outside us and uk. So looking only npd numbers and estimating worldwide sales is a problematic approach.
Yea looking at Spain or France or Germany charts makes that kinda clear.

Damn if true it is lower than expected .I thought 35 to 36 is where they r at . Anyways hopefully they will learn their lesson for next gen .

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
It seems ms failure to post sales figures has bit them in the ass.

Either analysts estimated far too high at the beginning of the year, or the reality of the situation is much more dire than was believed. Either way, not a good look to be outed this way when people thought sales were much higher.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People surely hate reading, huh:

So EA is estimating that Xbox One sold around 3.8m units in 2017. But the Xbox One sold more than that in the US alone.

This is in the OP. Xbox didn't sell only 29M.

Just last week someone in the other thread said Xbox had hit 35 million over a year ago already lol.

Shows you how bad fanboys can be with sales and estimates.
If anything, the fanboys are the people denying that the Xbox was surely over 30M as the EA numbers are probably excluding Asia, as you see that their numbers for the PS4 and Switch are lower too. The numbers don't make sense with the data we have.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure they do not count people like me, who only buy exclusives on consoles, as "active" owners or potential console costumers.
I bought a couple of EA titles this generation, but everything on PC and not on consoles.

Oct 31, 2017
It seems they are doing worse than I thought. Wow, if these numbers are true. It explains why they stopped reporting sales numbers ages ago.

Hopefully they learn their lesson well for next gen because this gen is a total disaster for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.