• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Wow, that's fucked.

Reading the article, it was part of the 350 laid off worldwide.

AAA development is unsustainable.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
And they said they wanted to get rid of their worst gaming company image?

lmao

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Dumb Japanese doesn't understand our sports game with in-game purchases

- Probably someone at EA

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Guessing they'll be partnering with local publishers in the future, like Activision tends to do with Square Enix?

Really sucks though, and it's kinda weird considering how huge both FIFA and Star Wars are there, presumably, unless Japan is still waving that PES flag.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess they're going to partner with someone like Square-Enix to release their games in Japan going forward? Activision does it too.

"Where are we going, EA-otousan?"

POtZVR5.gif

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I assume they're just going to hire Square Enix and the other big japanese publishers to take over publishing their games. Battlefield sells pretty well over there, i'm sure Fifa does too.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
FIFA and Battlefield are decent sellers in Japan. I can see another pub like Square Enix or Sega picking them up, or even Sony, MS and Nintendo themselves.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Missed opportunity for FIFA Shoujou Go! Gacha cardgame where world star football players are cute anime girls.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
EA had a Japan branch? This is genuinely the first time I learnt of this.

That aside, hope the people that got fired land on their feet.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, I'm less preoccupied about how are they going to publish their gamesin the future than about people losing their jobs, crazy.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is weird to see EA sacrificing the branch of such an important market

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Yes, there was an EA Japan, but there wasn't any sort of development happening there. As we all saw yesterday, both Japan and Russia were two branches that EA said were part of the reorganization. That's all they did was publish titles, meaning someone else will be doing it now or it will be handled by another EA branch.

Doesn't change the fact that it stinks.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
And they said they wanted to get rid of their worst gaming company image?

lmao
So, people boycott their games and now it's their fault if they close branches?

I don't buy their games anymore, but please stop with this hypocrisy.

They bad lolololol

They closing lololol

I mean c'mon, what were you expecting them to do now that things are going rightfully to shit?

People seem to want EA to fail without anybody losing their jobs...

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
AAA development is unsustainable.
EA Japan shutting down has nothing to do with AAA development being sustainable or not. If you only release a handful of games a year, does it really make sense to entertain a regional branch in a market that's notoriously difficult for western publishers instead of partnering up with a local publisher? Businesses will always looks for opportunities to cut down on unnecessary costs and EA likely thinks that there are more efficient ways to cater to the Japanese market.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot, why are we angry at EA now? Did they make another bad game?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
So, people boycott their games and now it's their fault if they close branches?

I don't buy their games anymore, but please stop with this hypocrisy.

They bad lolololol

They closing lololol

I mean c'mon, what were you expecting them to do now that things are going rightfully to shit?

People seem to want EA to fail without anybody losing their jobs...
You truly think enough people boycott their games to impact their profits enough to cause this?

lmfao

Jun 1, 2018
I know some people that got laid off this wave... feel really bad for them because its pretty difficult to find another job in publisher marketing

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
You truly think enough people boycott their games to impact their profits enough to cause this?

lmfao
Are you living in a parallel world? Their games are not selling, they literally just launched Anthem even if it needed a little more time because they needed revenue before the ending of the fiscal year and that bombed or half bombed as well.

Where have you been exactly? Things have been going bad for EA

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
I wonder how many people scolding EA in this thread have actually every heard of EA Japan. Seeing as the majority of their work was company administration. To the point that they weren't ever included on EA's Worldwide Studios map: https://www.ea.com/studios

6GYtwPh.png

Banana Aeon

Oct 30, 2017
Square is probably going to publish their games now. Honestly surprised they didn't cut this cost earlier.
I don't know, I'm less preoccupied about how are they going to publish their gamesin the future than about people losing their jobs, crazy.
You can't be concerned over everybody. And you're not guaranteed a job by no one. This is capitalism. Shit ain't free.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Are you living in a parallel world? Their games are not selling, they literally just launched Anthem even if it needed a little more time because they needed revenue before the ending of the fiscal year and that bombed or half bombed as well.

Anthem didn't sell well because its buggy and has bad word of mouth, it has fuck all to do with boycotts.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
This has nothing to do with actual development.
The people at EA Japan and Russia were not developers.

Their games are not selling but SOMEHOW they are still topping Take-Two and Ubisoft in annual revenue lol
Have you got any idea on how business work, like at all?

Just because their revenue is bigger that means they are doing fine?

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Anthem didn't sell well because its buggy and has bad word of mouth, it has fuck all to do with boycotts.
There are plenty of people that boycotted the game because of mass effect. Being buggy is one of the reasons of the flop, with boycott being one of them. Plus the BFV flop and the ME flop and last year Battlefront 2 flop.

And the argument is not about boycott or not, You are here hoping they go down and when they start doing so you mock them because they start closing branches.

Get a grip

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Why are you talkin about?

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of people that boycotted the game because of mass effect. Being buggy is one of the reason, the boycott is there.

I don´t believe that at all.

People did not buy it because they simply were not interested.

There aren´t millions of people out there who are dying to play Anthem, but they chose not to to prove a point.