• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Didn't see a thread about it, but I thought it was interesting enough.
From and to OpenRA, a project about recreating the classic Command and Conquer games in Open source format:

Fellow Command & Conquer fans,

My name is Jim Vessella, and I'm a Producer at Electronic Arts. Ten years ago I had the pleasure of being on the production team for Command & Conquer 3 and Red Alert 3, along with being the Lead Producer on Kane's Wrath. During those years, some of my favorite moments were interacting with our passionate community, whether at our onsite Community Summits, on the forums, or while attending various events such as Gamescom.

As most of you may know, we recently announced Command & Conquer: Rivals, a mobile game set in the Command & Conquer universe. Following the reveal of Rivals, we heard you loud and clear: the Command & Conquer community also wants to see the franchise return to PC. And as a fan of C&C for over 20 years, I couldn't agree more. With that in mind we've been exploring some exciting ideas regarding remastering the classic PC games, and already have the ball rolling on our first effort to celebrate the upcoming 25th Year Anniversary.

We are eager to hear your feedback to help influence our current thoughts for PC and what comes next. Over the next few weeks we'll be talking to fans in a variety of ways. In the meantime, please share your thoughts here on the OpenRA forums.

As a long time C&C fan and developer, I am just as passionate about the C&C franchise as you are, and look forward to hearing your thoughts as they help us shape the future of C&C at EA!

Thanks!
Jim Vessella
Jimtern

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean.. cool... but I'll believe it when I'm playing it at this point.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
As a huge old school fan, nothing would make me happier than to see EA do something proper with Command & Conquer that didn't include shitting it up with micro transactions, forced online, seasons passes, and other bullshit that permeates EA's business model these days.

I'm going to not hold my breath tho.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I would be very surprised to see EA invest heavily into an RTS of all things. Remasters are one thing, but making the money they'd want to make on an RTS in 2018 is incredibly difficult.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
As a huge old school fan, nothing would make me happier than to see EA do something proper with Command & Conquer that didn't include shitting it up with micro transactions, forced online, seasons passes, and other bullshit that permeates EA's business model these days.

I'm going to not hold my breath tho.

They missed the boat on this by many years, but around the time everyone was doing MOBA clones they could have made a good MOBA.

Nowadays, I think they could bring back Renegade as a battle royale clone and it could be interesting. They could use the Battlefield engine for it.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe.gif. But really I would like a new entry from the series or remake of C&C Generals/Zero:Hour

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Can we get the Tanya FMVs in 4K?

giphy.gif

Apo

Oct 28, 2017
Great, now I have a small glimmer of hope even though I should know it better. Huge disappointment incoming.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly can't see EA doing anything that will actually improve these games without making a mess of things in some way (implementing micro transactions or something equally onerous).

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just port the games to consoles and optimize the games for newer pc then sell them as a collection. That's all I ask.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Ten years ago I had the pleasure of being on the production team for Command & Conquer 3 and Red Alert 3

Anything less like these and everything like all the games before it and it'll be job done. Sadly I have little hope with EA and the series nowadays.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
C&C Generals ZH with improved online backend, I'd be down for that.

I don't really care about the rest, everything they released after honestly sucks.

P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
Just what I wanted! A Comand and Conquer game cobbled together from gamer community opinions on what they think they want!

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't see EA doing anything that will actually improve these games without making a mess of things in some way (implementing micro transactions or something equally onerous).
nah, they don't need to do that

if they remaster them they can justify selling them individually for slightly higher prices, rather than continuing to sell them all in one budget collection for 20 bucks

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
I'm skeptical it would have the same level of care that was taken to remaster Starcraft, and without sales numbers to go on, us fans of SC:R feel that it didn't sell that well.

It's not EA but it's a glimpse into what a remastered 90's RTS classic would sell in 2017.

Jul 10, 2018
I said goodbye to C&C after C&C 4 which was a train wreck. I'd be happy if EA never laid a finger on the franchise again, I'm happy with going back to the classics whenever I need my C&C fix.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Tiberium was put on earth by aliens and also Kane is an alien but a different type of alien than the ones that planted the tiberium

D E E P L O R E

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I popped in with my reddit account just to post in there. I really just want remasters akin to Age of Empires HD for the westwood games.
EA doesn't need to reinvent the wheel for those westwood classics.

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
So they are asking Westwood fans if they would like the franshice back for the same pocket as the company who bought and killed them?

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! Please. I still play them on the PS. Would love a remaster, but don't add unecessary crap.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
I'll believe it when they do it.

4K support. Zoom in and zoom out functionality.

Basically what OpenRA already provides as far as remaster, with updated gameplay that is far more sensible, Open RA is amazing.

OpenRA is already with support that has RA2 and Tiberian Sun working. The only thing that OpenRA needs really is the singleplayer full games for all games supported and a save-game function and ability to adjust game speed in-game.

If they ever return to a franchise it should be re-treading the history and then merging RA and Tiberium timelines again, but keeping the games separate.

New game should be based on RA2 game design with modern, clean graphics

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
just as long as they don't try and make a new game using new ways. but it doesn't matter to me i'm hurt that if they remaster the games i still won't be able to play them

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As a fan who bought every single game as they came out, it's over. You've killed it. Let it stay dead. I have no optimism for the future of C&C. Every time they bring its corpse out to shamble around it just feels like a reminder of its sad fate.
I popped in with my reddit account just to post in there. I really just want remasters akin to Age of Empires HD for the westwood games.
EA doesn't need to reinvent the wheel for those westwood classics.
This is the best possible outcome.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
I am very glad at least EA pointed out that they heard us fans to say we want proper C&C to return in a decent capacity and not just mobile games.

So I will give them credit for listening, that's a start.

OMEGALUL

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Asking for revivals of classic RTS games is like asking the monkey paw for wishes

I want a new Age of Empire game! Wish granted but It's made by the hacks at Relic and stuck on the Windows 10 store.

I want a revival of C&C! Its made by EA who haven't made a good RTS game in 11 years and made by the same team who made Tiberium Twilight, also its going to be exclusive to our shit Digital store.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
Asking for revivals of classic RTS games is like asking the monkey paw for wishes

I want a new Age of Empire game! Wish granted but It's made by the hacks at Relic and stuck on the Windows 10 store.

I want a revival of C&C! Its made by EA who haven't made a good RTS game in 11 years and made by the same team who made Tiberium Twilight, also its going to be exclusive to our shit Digital store.
You can't compare Origin with Win 10 Store. Origin is pretty good actually. Windows Store is a disaster.

Muaddib

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how the first few C&Cs have aged...

Red Alert is still one of my favorite games, but I haven't played it in years

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
I think their best option would actually be to remaster the first game completely and start over from there. Put in a lot of quality of life updates and if you have the original fmv on film, just use that for the story.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
If it got the Starcraft treatment, I'd be drooling on my keyboard. But if they try to do 3d for the earlier titles, I dunno...