• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
In EA's fiscal Q4'18 earnings call company CFO Blake Jorgensen might've hinted Anthem won't be monetized with live services when it launches in March 2019:

"The real issue with Anthem is the game will be shipped in the last quarter of the year, and in the last month of that quarter, meaning we'll probably have limited re-stocking of the title even if it's extremely successful."

"Since it is new IP we're being conservative in how we're thinking about it, we're very excited about the game, it's extremely unique, and I think players are going to really enjoy playing it."

"But we're careful not to put too large of a forecast in there, and clearly it will impact this year as well as next year as we not only continue to sell more into the next year but as we start rolling out the live services associated with that game,"

Source

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds more like it will be like every big game now with timed events and what not, not necessarily they will Forza it and hold off on the microtransactions at launch.

Deleted member 26104

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think it will do what many games have done and launch without microtransactions and lootboxes to avoid the review backlash, then patch them in later. They get the best of both worlds - no review points deducted just for having them, then they get money from them.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Laying off MTX at launch would probably be the best move, if they actually want this game to gain an audience. Then once people are on board, start juicing.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
I hope that they take the Sea of Thieves route where MTX (hopefully not Loot boxes) will be put in after launch and there are purely cosmetic and don't affect gameplay at all.

I also hope it has a lot more content than Sea of Thieves.

Aside from MTX, my biggest concern is actually how the game will handle DLC/Post-Launch content.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're probably reading that incorrectly.

He more likely means that people who just buy the game aren't likely to spend a zillion dollars on the live service elements right away, and at least wait a few days to do so, pushing all that revenue into next fiscal year.

Similarly, any post launch cosmetics and the like wouldn't be out by then, nor expansions or DLC that aren't tied to the sale of the base game.

Oct 27, 2017

He more likely means that people who just buy the game aren't likely to spend a zillion dollars on the live service elements right away, and at least wait a few days to do so, pushing all that revenue into next fiscal year.

Similarly, any post launch cosmetics and the like wouldn't be out by then, nor expansions or DLC that aren't tied to the sale of the base game.

That's what I was thinking as well.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
Launching the game without all the monetization carp in place yet so none of the reviews at a launch will mention them, get people to buy them under the impression there is none, THEN begin to nickel and dime them a month or two in; IS brilliant from a financial and PR pov, albeit shaddy and scummy as fuck.

Just more reason to not buy anything until half year in.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
That's a smart way of avoiding reviews at launch that will dock points and be more negative due to their MTX

After all reviews are out of the way and people bought it then they can easily sneak in MTX again but it won't be much a fuss compared to if it was still in since launch

Deleted member 14002

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Launching the game without all the monetization carp in place yet so none of the reviews at a launch will mention them, get people to buy them under the impression there is none, THEN begin to nickel and dime them a month or two in; IS brilliant from a financial and PR pov, albeit shaddy and scummy as fuck.

Pretty much, just like destiny 1

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yup, EA is great at being evil.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017

It's also not a new tactic. There have been several AAA games that didn't patch in their microtransactions until after the review/launch cycle is over.

QBizM

Oct 25, 2017

That's what I was thinking as well.
Yup, me too. Can't see them passing up the chance to rope in people's spending at launch.

Oct 30, 2017
In other words: we don't want to anger the public at launch and tarnish the game. We'll wait till after the launch period and then introduce the predatory schemes.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017

This. They're not saying anything about monetization plans.

DeeDogg

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Florida
I cant believe this is a real story..
"We'll wait a little after launch to gamble you out of your parent's money, kids. We've learned our lesson"

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
This game is their Destiny clone, of course it will be based around microtransactions. They'll probably just save the really skeevy ones for later, after they've got your $60.

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
According to this recent leak about Star Wars Battlefront 2 that has become true so far, EA has an entire task force dedicated to avoiding anything even closely resembling SWBF2's launch disaster.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know you fucked yo when you can't sell as much.

Rise of The Tomb Raider was the same

Nobody believes EAs bullshit anymore.

Yeah, I'm sure that nobody believes on EA bullshit anymore (I remember hearing it for like one decade). The fact that they're the second bigger third party suggests otherwise.

btw, Rise of the Tomb Raider was a success to Square Enix both on Xone and PS4/PC.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, they're definitely gonna take the Forza approach here. Wait for the reviews to run their course then stick their hand up your shirt and squeeze your tit till it's purple.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
May, why yes it is the month of May

Of course they will microtransactions that thing.
I'm still copping regardless.

Can't have no shortages when you buy everything digital.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Its EA and a game that has been in development for ages, this game will be monetized in the beta.

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
His really bums me out. I want to get excited for games and maybe even preorder to join the hype machine. But I just don't trust EA. will probably wait till first sale on the game :(

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the content is there and the loop is satisfying. Any MTX roadmap is moot if those things don't come together. Honestly the unprecedented visuals for a Live game and the strict release window do make me a bit skeptical that there will be enough meaningful things to do that sustain players long term.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I never understand why people still support MTX?
Vote with your wallets people, and boycott crap like this or it will never go away.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
You know you fucked yo when you can't sell as much.

Rise of The Tomb Raider was the same

Nobody believes EAs bullshit anymore.

Zero to do with anyone believing EA's bullshit, 100% to do with Battlefront 2 being a same-y sequel to a game that mainly sold gangbusters because of the Force Awakens hype train, which was unlike anything else, ever. Lucasfilm is also not considering subsequent Star Wars movies a failure because they didn't make a billion dollars domestically. The fall of 2015 was a perfect storm of Star Wars hyper and nostalgia that can't be duplicated. Battlefront 2 was always going to sell substantially less than the first, MTX or no MTX. Most mainstream consumers, the people who make games multi-million sellers, aren't even aware there was any controversy.

Anthem will be huge, whether it has MTX or not. The mainstream audience doesn't care.

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
I never understand why people still support MTX?
Vote with your wallets people, and boycott crap like this or it will never go away.
I'll help you, when MTX are a good value, support long term development of the game and contain content that I enjoy I buy them. Of course every game is a case by case basis, and being smart with your money and understanding what you are buying helps.

Nov 3, 2017
Anthem threads feel like they're going to be the next big 'ERA is an echo chamber that's disconnected from the mainstream' thing we'll be pointing to after the game releases.

Anyway, here are my hot takes:
- EA's CFO has commented after the BF2 controversy that the takeaway was that different consumer groups for different types of games have vastly different tolerances for MTX
- Sports games fans in particular, spend a lot on MTX and are tolerant of gameplay effecting MTX
- So called 'core' gamers who would buy stuff like BF2 and Anthem are hostile towards MTX that aren't just merely cosmetic
- Expect Anthem to have a whole lot of dances, effects and all sorts of cosmetic stuff you can buy, but nothing that alters gameplay or player power

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Anyway, here are my hot takes:
- EA's CFO has commented after the BF2 controversy that the takeaway was that different consumer groups for different types of games have vastly different tolerances for MTX
- Sports games fans in particular, spend a lot on MTX and are tolerant of gameplay effecting MTX
- So called 'core' gamers who would buy stuff like BF2 and Anthem are hostile towards MTX that aren't just merely cosmetic
- Expect Anthem to have a whole lot of dances, effects and all sorts of cosmetic stuff you can buy, but nothing that alters gameplay or player power

That all sounds good to me