Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
So Dan Lowe who is a senior tech animator at EA's Motive Studios has posted a video that compares the responsiveness in RDR2 with other games of its ilk. Now keep in mind all of these games have fantastic character animation ( maybe not Destiny ) which makes RDR2's input lag all the more disappointing. Very curious about MGSV, TLOU etc..

Here is the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWYTOOtplY8

Keep in mind that input response times are also affected by Hardware but in this case since all of them were tested on the same hardware these differences can be compared.

ZServ

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Holy crap, I had no idea the input lag was that bad. That's a doozy.

Edit:
TvknwBK.png

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Moral of the story, Bungie games continue to feel amazingly responsive.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how RDR's lag could come as a surprise to anyone. You feel every moment of it the moment you lay hands on the controller.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Pretty good evidence of one main reason why I couldn't stand the game. Just watching the video is maddening. Playing it made me want to tear my hair out.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Rockstar games are praised for a variety of things. Easy and fluent control is not one of them. Lol.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
It's really weird how little Rockstar as a whole implemented all they learned from MP3 but I also get it, fact is that a game with so many aspects like RDR 2 it's probably difficult to implement improvements when so many mechanics have to be worked on.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
There will still be people in the OT telling us the controls are sick and everyone complaining is just pushing the buttons too quickly and looking at their phone while playing.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Bungie with the baller ass response times making their games feel as smooth as you expect.

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
The "lag" makes it more realistic than your responsive games. Just count the frames between you wanting to jog and you actually jogging and you'll see.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Selecting sleep instead of shave is the optional Master Ninja difficult option.

Deleted member 49132

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
This video is misleading. Not everything in RDR2 has this slow of input lag.

It is only comparing 1 thing in the video, flicking the left stick > character moving to reflect it

Don't get me wrong, that is BAD, and I am in no way defending input lag. I am merely pointing out that this video is misleading.

That action in RDR2 has absurdly high input lag compared to everything else.

For example, when you aim your gun, and press the trigger to shoot, the input lag is the same as any other 30fps shooter, as is the aiming response.

This video is literally cherry picking ONE action in this game that was, for some unknown reason, programmed to have higher input lag than anything else.

There are other actions in the game that are programmed to have higher input lag - however for a reason - because the buttons serve as 2 functions, a tap and a hold.

L1 is the button you use to holster/unholster your gun, however is also the button you hold to bring up your weapon wheel.

There is a large amount of input lag from when you hold down L1 to bring up the wheel, to it actually showing up on screen.

This was intentional, as a cushion so that way there's no confusion between the two actions.

Same thing with the R3 button. Click for dead-eye, hold to look behind character. There's a lot of lag when you hold it down, so that way the game recognizes that's what you actually wanted to do.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't stand the way that characters control in Rockstar games. Rainbow Six Siege has weighty character movement. Red Dead Redemption 2 has shitty, unresponsive controls.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
LOL for me it's even worse. I redboxed it just to check it out, and the button assignments are so bizarre to me after other open world stuff I've played that I'm constantly fumbling around.

deadasdisco

Jun 10, 2018
Call me out if wrong but i'm pretty sure thats on purpose to give the illusion of weight? It does affect button selection tho ( I think) which is the only thing that annoys me some times.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I'm actually really curious to see how Geralt compares to Arthur. It's as close to apples to apples as your gonna get as I also immediately think of Geralt moving like a tank, admittedly cdpr did work to fix that.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
i just wish i could aim. Thats all i need. i will put up with everything else. Just allow me to be able to actually hit anything im aiming at

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England
This video is false.

It is only comparing 1 thing in the video, flicking the left stick > character moving to reflect it

If you Pause the game and scroll through the menus using the dpad, it's nearly instant.

Aim your gun, press the trigger to shoot, barely any input lag.

Aiming response is exactly the same as any other game.

This video is literally cherry picking ONE action in this game that was programmed to have higher input lag than anything else.

Good thing that one action isn't the main form of movement and the thing you'll be doing more than anything else in the game

oh wait

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't stand the few minutes I played of it at a friend's house, glad I didn't buy it for the hype since I normally don't like Rockstar's controls before and this one is no different. Really gorgeous game but the controls kill it for me.

Spotless Mind

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Are the people claiming the weighty, laggy controls are realistic/immersive being sarcastic? I started playing last night and the input lag is one of the most immersion breaking things i've encountered in a game in a while.

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
Even as rough as this test is, those numbers are horrific. EDIT: Sorry, he's counting in-game frames so it's much worse than I originally thought, over ~350ms of delay. No wonder people think this game controls like shit.

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Call me out if wrong but i'm pretty sure thats on purpose to give the illusion of weight? It does affect button selection tho ( I think) which is the only thing that annoys me some times.
If it's also affecting things like button presses, then no, it's not doing anything to give the illusion of weight or heft. There's no real defence of input lag as artist intent, it only serves to hinder the player.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
This video is false.

If you Pause the game and scroll through the menus using the dpad, it's nearly instant.

Aim your gun, press the trigger to shoot, barely any input lag.

Aiming response is exactly the same as any other game.

This video is literally cherry picking ONE action in this game that was programmed to have higher input lag than anything else.
Moving the characters in a videogame is probably the most common action in any videogame

You are also cherrypicking the trigger button to fire considering that aiming itself is also cumbersome in this game and a comparison of that would not look flattering either

Worse is that you claim the video is false when it is probably the only objective data we've seen on input lag in the game

Just being about moving the characters notwithstanding since thats 90% of what you do in any video-game

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually really curious to see how Geralt compares to Arthur. It's as close to apples to apples as your gonna get as I also immediately think of Geralt moving like a tank, admittedly cdpr did work to fix that.

When I started playing RDR2 Witcher 3 was the first game that came to mind when it came to how slow it is. I'm with you and really curious to see how it compares. It's been a minute since I went through Witcher 3 and I feel like maybe it's not as slow as I remember it being.