• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a next generation title. To note, by action, they mean third person games like GTA, Assassin's Creed, and other such open world games. Most people would probably call them "Action/Adventure".

"Less and less of our business is dependent on brand new titles. But we've been able to bring out some great new titles that have turned into franchises, like the Star Wars activity, like Battlefront, for example, that layer in more franchises over time. We're trying to do that with BioWare's Anthem game - I was up in Edmonton with the team a few weeks ago, looking at the game and playing it. It's looking very exciting, the team's done an amazing job and we're really excited about that for next year.

"We have a team in Montreal that is building a brand new action franchise, probably for our Fiscal [Year] 2021 that also looks fantastic and very exciting. A new game, with a lot of new interesting gameplay that I don't think anyone's ever seen before.

"Action is clearly the place we're missing the most, and the reason we're building Anthem and the new title that Jade Raymond's team at Motive is building in Montreal," he said. "That's the largest sector in gaming. It's one we haven't spent a lot of time in because we were so focused on sports and first-person shooters. We feel like there's a huge opportunity there."
Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...us-subscriptions-equals-uncapped-monetisation

Last edited:

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
As someone who's only been close to the management of games publishing, nothing quite like development, how does one plan and prepare development for a game ready for a future console generation? It boggles the mind (in a great way).

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's only been close to the management of games publishing, nothing quite like development, how does one plan and prepare development for a game ready for a future console generation? It boggles the mind (in a great way).
You will usually get some rough estimates of what type of power the next consoles are going for many years in advance. Usually you start getting info 2-3 years beforehand if you're a huge publisher.

If you don't have those, you just make your best guess and target that kind of spec while building on very high end PCs.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm lost with all the EA Star Wars games that have either been cancelled or are in production.

Battlefront 2
Respawn's game
Motive's game

Visceral's game got cancelled. Were Motive also working on this?

Is that about right?

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I'm lost with all the EA Star Wars games that have either been cancelled or are in production.

Battlefront 2
Respawn's game
Motive's game

Visceral's game got cancelled. Were Motive also working on this?

Is that about right?
Close.

EA's Star Wars games are:
- Battlefront 2 (DICE/Motive/Criterion)
- Respawn's game
- Visceral's game, which got canned and moved to the Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare people.
- Galaxy of Heroes (Capital Games)
- Rise to Power (This is another mobile game, but I'm not sure by who)
- New SWTOR expansion packs

Motive's next game however is a new IP, similar to how BioWare makes SWTOR and Anthem.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's next gen then for sure. No way we don't have new hardware by 2020. Very very curious what sort of game that's going to be. Jade Raymond is really talented

Oct 27, 2017
Close.

EA's Star Wars games are:
- Battlefront 2 (DICE/Motive/Criterion)
- Respawn's game
- Visceral's game, which got canned and moved to the Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare people.
- Galaxy of Heroes (Capital Games)
- Rise to Power (This is another mobile game, but I'm not sure by who)
- New SWTOR expansion packs

Motive's next game however is a new IP, similar to how BioWare makes SWTOR and Anthem.

I believe Rise to Power is in house. EA Capital Games as well.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the replies folks. On mobile and haven't got the hang of this multi quote yet :)

So EA are going all in on the Star Wars license then, makes me worry for how they are going to handle Anthem as well.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the replies folks. On mobile and haven't got the hang of this multi quote yet :)

So EA are going all in on the Star Wars license then, makes me worry for how they are going to handle Anthem as well.
Anthem has something like 400+ BioWare staff on it IIRC. EA gets more money for making games without the Star Wars license than with it, so if they have an IP they think is worthwhile, they'll still pursue that.

kbear

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Well at least we know this isn't going to be the last traditional console gen. Good news!

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You wont even rememeber any of this by then.

do you think lootboxes are going away or something? it wont be even remotely hard to remember, in fact you'll have to go out of your way just to not be reminded of it

just because you apparently dont remember things you claim to care about, doesn't mean that other people are the same way

dont project your poor memory onto others, other people are perfectly capable of holding onto things they care about for more than 3 years

Last edited:

JoksPacifist

Nov 13, 2017
You will usually get some rough estimates of what type of power the next consoles are going for many years in advance. Usually you start getting info 2-3 years beforehand if you're a huge publisher.

If you don't have those, you just make your best guess and target that kind of spec while building on very high end PCs.

Kinda of off topic, but is this similar to what happened to Watch_Dogs ?

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anthem has something like 400+ BioWare staff on it IIRC. EA gets more money for making games without the Star Wars license than with it, so if they have an IP they think is worthwhile, they'll still pursue that.

You're probably right, this industry can make you paranoid at times :)

Also, I wonder what Disney's thoughts are right now with one cancelled game already and an absolute shit storm brewing over the BF2 release, will they have a lot of input into the development of these games or do they leave it up to EA?

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
I would say next gen only game but it's EA so I don't know...They would want maximum profits from this gen and next gen.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
2021? Development cycles are really fucked up these days. Can't they cut back a bit on all the clobber and focus more on the stuff that matters?

art_vandelay

Oct 27, 2017

I have no clue, but I suspect this is why many launch window titles on "next gen" consoles end up feeling like shinier versions of their current gen counterparts. I would assume that they structure things to be scalable wherever they can so that they can get much of the grunt work done before having dev kits on hand.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Do you not think publishers are starting projects before they are given a ballpark?

Considering how long it takes to make games it's inevitable now and also remembering all the games that have had to be downgraded I wouldn't be surprised if they do to to make Sony/MS have to meet their standards. If that makes sense?

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
.... so this actually just contributed to my hype for Anthem. Until reading the thread title I had completely forgotten about the name Jade Raymond.

She was on AC back in the day right?

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
2021? Development cycles are really fucked up these days. Can't they cut back a bit on all the clobber and focus more on the stuff that matters?

New IP; pre-production takes time
New Studio; still staffing up
Open-world game; takes a long time to make
New Studio also helping out on other SW stuff, so not 100% full-time on just this new IP.

To expect new AAA IPs from this industry is to let them have the time to flesh it out.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
That's a long ways away :\. I guess they got stuck helping on other projects as hasn't that studio been up and running for a couple years already?

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Do you not think publishers are starting projects before they are given a ballpark?

Considering how long it takes to make games it's inevitable now and also remembering all the games that have had to be downgraded I wouldn't be surprised if they do to to make Sony/MS have to meet their standards. If that makes sense?
There's some amount of work that definitely starts with studios just taking a stab in the dark, but I'd be surprised if they went heavily into production on a non-cross-gen game without at least some inkling of the hardware.

Even if you expect a 2020 console release, the closest partners to Sony and Microsoft are likely to start hearing about next-gen at GDC 2018 and E3 2018, which are only a few months away.

That said, given both Avalanche and Square Enix are explicitly developing next generation games, Ubisoft is slotting the first possible next gen date as 2019 instead of 2020, and now this, it seems somewhat improbable to me that publishers don't already have some idea here, if we're talking about this scenario in specific.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking of the wrong game and person when I made this post, please disregard.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
I know this isn't tied in with Anthem, but part of me feels as though they are rushing this a bit (even if this pitch is years out and not part of the team working on Anthem). We'll see what happens, but it isn't like gamers are going to be looking at their calendars with anticipation at what this new IP will be (let alone the "next gen" of gaming if we still have a ways to go with this generation).

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is the wide expectation, yes, though I don't think something conceptually similar on a mechanical level, but different in execution (a lot of Assassin's Creed can be mapped back to how GTA works) is off the table.
Right. To be reductive: the player will be able to hijack cars in this game, and drive around town and possibly be allowed to kill civilians. You know, that kind of game.